gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:36:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sounds of Summer back on the billboard 200  (Read 10380 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« on: May 27, 2018, 06:48:35 PM »

No news lately, we'll take what we can get LOL

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
nach0king
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 06:55:54 PM »

We just need Brian to tweet about Candace Owens and they'll jump above Kanye again!

In seriousness - got to wonder how much this is connected to either the Sirius launch or the orchestral album buzz (probably the former more than the latter, since the latter isn't out yet.) Or maybe it's just summer and some boomers got the urge to listen to some surf tracks. Or it's summer and some gas stations and bigbox stores put their summer CDs front and center.

Man, you're right, no news at all and I'm sitting here genuinely contemplating the 193 spot on the Billboard charts...
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 07:58:44 PM »

I'm sure Mike will post on Facebook about how they're still above the Rolling Stones on the charts...not that I'd know, since he blocked me years ago.  LOL
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 12:01:15 PM »

Just how many copies a week you have to sell (physical copies) in the US Yo make it all the way to 193? In Finland that would be maybe 5-10 copies...

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 12:14:17 PM »

I'm sure Mike will post on Facebook about how they're still above the Rolling Stones on the charts...not that I'd know, since he blocked me years ago.  LOL

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
nach0king
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 02:19:56 PM »

Just how many copies a week you have to sell (physical copies) in the US Yo make it all the way to 193? In Finland that would be maybe 5-10 copies...

Billboard isn't based purely off sales anymore, let alone physical sales. It's also based off streaming services and subscription audio. Not sure if Youtube factors in.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 11:12:09 PM »

Sounds of Summer is great! The cover art is on point, the title, and the track listing is really solid also, even if if slightly heavy on early hits.

Just replace "Kokomo", "Rock and Roll Music" and "Barbara Ann" with "You're So Good to Me", "The Warmth of The Sun", "It's OK" and "Little Honda" and this would be the best thing the Beach Boys ever put out (no deep tracks needed - this is Sounds of Summer after all and it should focus on the early hits!).
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 11:12:49 PM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
KDS
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 05:44:34 AM »

Sounds of Summer is great! The cover art is on point, the title, and the track listing is really solid also, even if if slightly heavy on early hits.

Just replace "Kokomo", "Rock and Roll Music" and "Barbara Ann" with "You're So Good to Me", "The Warmth of The Sun", "It's OK" and "Little Honda" and this would be the best thing the Beach Boys ever put out (no deep tracks needed - this is Sounds of Summer after all and it should focus on the early hits!).

You're So Good to Me, Warmth of the Sun, It's OK, and Little Honda were all included on the companion collection to Sounds of Summer called Warmth of the Sun. 

Sounds of Summer gives you all the big hits.   Warmth of the Sun includes plenty of hits like the ones mentioned with some essential album tracks.   Combined, SOS and WOTS provide an excellent 58 track overview of The Beach Boys. 
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 06:16:10 AM »

I assume SOS is their biggest seller at this point?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 06:41:11 AM »

I assume SOS is their biggest seller at this point?

I dunno. "Endless Summer" for better or worse was the go-to compilation from 1974 until probably at least 1995 when "Greatest Hits Vol. 1" was released. They kept "Endless Summer" in print on CD for a long time.

But the BBs catalog (much like their touring) was diluted by too many hits compilations. Even "Best of the Beach Boys" from the 60s was issued on CD (ironically, that CD has some nice-sounding, early digital era relatively flat transfers of the songs; too bad it has dreck on it like "Louie Louie"). "Made in USA" from 1986 was also vying for the go-to hits compilation.

So until 1995, "Endless Summer", "Made in USA", "Best of the Beach Boys", and other compilations (including the GV boxed set and of course "Spirit of America") all were out there.

GH Vol. 1 was issued in 1995, and then GH Vol. 2 was issued around 1999 as I recall (along with a remaster/reissue of GH Vol. 1), and then of course GH Vol. 3 (Best of the Brother Years) was issued in 2000. I recall at *that* point that the "plan" with that particular regime at Capitol was to make those three volumes the main and more or less only (in the US anyway) compilations, and to purge the catalog of all of the other cheap and old compilations, including even "Endless Summer", etc.

If that plan ever took hold, it only lasted for about three years, as we got "Sounds of Summer" in 2003 as I recall, and that was essentially a Beach Boys version of "Beatles 1" in all but strict theme (obviously because the BBs only had a few literal #1 hits). It was kind of a slight rejiggering of "Greatest Hits Vol. 1" of course as well.

So I'm sure "SOS" is the best-selling thing in the BB catalog *since* 2003, but I'm not sure it has sold enough in the last 15 years to surpass the 20+ years of sales for "Endless Summer" (which was even, in recent years, reissued again on vinyl) and possibly other comps like "Best of the Beach Boys" and "Greatest Hits Vol. 1." "Sounds of Summer" peaked in 2003 at #16 (a great showing for essentially a defunct band at that point that had already had TEN KAJILLION COMPILATIONS out in the stores), while "Endless Summer" got to #1 in 1974. The little Wikipedia discography chart indicates both SOS and Endless Summer are 3x platinum for whatever that's worth; we all know Capitol wasn't always so reliable about reporting sales to the RIAA for certification.

They crammed everything they could on SOS. It's hard to complain much about it as one-disc compilations go. It was supposedly programmed (by Mike?) as a "concert setlist." You can see that to some degree; some hunks are indeed similar to the late 90s/early 2000s setlists. But it has some odd programming as well, with four Carl leads all closing the set out. They certainly didn't tend to end shows with a run of "Darlin'", "I Can Hear Music", and "GV." It's almost like they tried to program a concert-style track listing, and then "oops" forgot about some Carl leads and just tacked them on near the end.

All compilations have weird compromises and criteria. Remember how GH Vol. 3 stuck with the theme of *first* including an album's first single? That's how we ended up with "Honkin' Down the Highway" and "Peggy Sue" but no "The Night Was So Young" or "My Diane", etc.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 06:45:10 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 07:32:02 AM »

Looking at some relatively dated (2012) data, (and can't vouch for accuracy), it's probably a close race between Best of Beach Boys, Endless Summer and SOS, all of which have sold over 3M copies in USA.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2018, 03:21:10 PM »

Oops, misread the thread title, thought it said Summer in Paradise back on the Billboard 200.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 04:37:00 AM »

Oops, misread the thread title, thought it said Summer in Paradise back on the Billboard 200.

I don't think it was ever on the Billboard 200.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2018, 06:17:19 AM »

I don't think it was ever on the Billboard 200.

Correct; it can't ever be "back" on the chart, as it wasn't there in the first place back in 1992.

Also, the SIP album is not in print digitally or physically. Radio stations (and satellite stations like SiriusXM) who have a stock copy in their collection can spin the album, but it's not streaming or available for digital download (nor of course CD, etc.).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2018, 11:47:21 AM »

For a moment there I thought this was about Endless Summer being back on the charts, now THAT would have been news!

Has any other band ever enjoyed such a comeback on the strength of a comp alone?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2018, 12:26:44 PM »

I think it ‘sold’ 200!  Grin
KDS
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2018, 08:30:30 AM »

For a moment there I thought this was about Endless Summer being back on the charts, now THAT would have been news!

Has any other band ever enjoyed such a comeback on the strength of a comp alone?

None that I can think of.

Nor, can I think of a compilation that so damaged a band's creativity. 
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2018, 09:36:56 AM »

Sounds of Summer has come back into the charts in other summers....I literally think it's just people going "oh, its summer, let's goto the beach. I guess we should get the BB's greatest hits"
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2018, 09:56:56 AM »

Sounds of Summer has come back into the charts in other summers....I literally think it's just people going "oh, its summer, let's goto the beach. I guess we should get the BB's greatest hits"

That' pretty much it.

Safe to say The Beach Boys have very lucrative summers.....and winters actually  LOL

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2018, 11:33:15 AM »

That' pretty much it.

Safe to say The Beach Boys have very lucrative summers.....and winters actually  LOL

Whats crazy is they just kind of lucked into being the summer/beach band. The guys were like "jeeez, what should we write about?" and dennis says "well, jeez, i just went surfing yesterday, it was cool, how about we write about that?"
Branding was probably not even a word back then (with regards to bands anyways) but the fact that they ended up being THE Summer/Beach Band off of Dennis's whim has probably made them millions upon millions. Sure they couldve had hits with generic love songs, etc, but they wouldnt be on the charts every summer like they still are 50 years later
Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2018, 01:00:46 PM »

The 2xLP has been front and center at my local Target for the last few weeks, along with the vinyl reissues of Abbey Road, Thriller and Dark Side of the Moon. Pet Sounds has been in there too, but SoS seems to get more prominent placement.
dcowboys107
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2018, 01:20:00 PM »

You're So Good to Me, Warmth of the Sun, It's OK, and Little Honda were all included on the companion collection to Sounds of Summer called Warmth of the Sun. 

Sounds of Summer gives you all the big hits.   Warmth of the Sun includes plenty of hits like the ones mentioned with some essential album tracks.   Combined, SOS and WOTS provide an excellent 58 track overview of The Beach Boys. 

I 100% agree.  I have a dedicated playlist on Spotify of just those two combined.  I'd hands down make that my desert island album (I think you could make a case for that being "in the spirit" of the concept).
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2018, 09:39:23 PM »

The Eagles, I'd say. After that country tribute album "Common Thread" (the inspiration for "Stars & Stripes" and other less-successful projects) brought the members together to shoot a video for Travis Tritt's entry on that project, the Eagles decided to reunite. What followed was a multi-platinum album a year later and a massively successful reunion tour that was running for years. The joke was that the album and tour were called "Hell Freezes Over", as in that was when the band thought they would reunite to make music together.

I'd say a compilation of Eagles hits done on that tribute did indeed lead to an unexpected and unplanned comeback for the band that sold more albums (of new original material) than most of the Beach Boys output taken as a whole after Endless Summer for the next few decades.

So there's that one, haha.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2018, 10:05:17 PM »

Just adding that The Beatles "Red" and "Blue" compilations - both double albums of the old hits from the 60's - were released in 1973, before Endless Summer was even on the table. And both the Red and Blue sets sold like crazy, depending on which chart you reference they hit #1 in multiple countries around the world...a scant 3 years after the last official release by The Beatles before the breakup.

Did it lead to a "comeback" in terms of the band reuniting? Of course not, but it put old Beatles hits on the charts and on the radio again, and I think it spurred a lot of the talk of a reunion especially in '76 (when Capitol reissued both sets on their own label), and it did lead to collections like "Rock And Roll Music" and "Love Songs" which were basically Beatles songs repackaged and which also sold pretty well. It put the Beatles old hits back into the public ear, and it sold like crazy.

So I'd say especially since Capitol was involved that the Red and Blue releases *may* have opened the door for Endless Summer...grab some old back-catalog 60's hits and repackage them. It makes sense financially and the sales of the sets was very good for the label(s).

In other words, Endless Summer didn't happen in a vacuum, nor did it set a precedent. It was mostly people wanting to hear and rediscover some amazing music from the previous decade and the label giving them what they wanted.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
KDS
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2018, 06:08:27 AM »

The Eagles, I'd say. After that country tribute album "Common Thread" (the inspiration for "Stars & Stripes" and other less-successful projects) brought the members together to shoot a video for Travis Tritt's entry on that project, the Eagles decided to reunite. What followed was a multi-platinum album a year later and a massively successful reunion tour that was running for years. The joke was that the album and tour were called "Hell Freezes Over", as in that was when the band thought they would reunite to make music together.

I'd say a compilation of Eagles hits done on that tribute did indeed lead to an unexpected and unplanned comeback for the band that sold more albums (of new original material) than most of the Beach Boys output taken as a whole after Endless Summer for the next few decades.

So there's that one, haha.

I didn't know that a tribute album got The Eagles to reunite.   It's a pity Stars and Stripes didn't have the same effect. 
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx