gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:05:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I'll Bet He's Nice piano demo on BW Instagram  (Read 3590 times)
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2018, 09:14:55 PM »

http://instagr.am/p/BjGQXNxgbDk/

Its sound quality is far better than that of the bootlegged version. Is something coming?

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 06:33:00 AM »

I believe Brian has posted a few snippets from this demo tape in the past on his Instagram and/or Soundcloud. So I wouldn't assume it indicates any imminent release of this type of material. But we can certainly hope.

I found the old thread that mentioned Brian posting a similar bit on Instagram. He posted a similar excerpt of "Airplane" back in 2014:

https://www.instagram.com/p/rFhfeqASyS/
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 06:43:53 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 08:48:00 AM »

I feel like they're teasing us. If this is the year of the Friends (and maybe 20/20 era) outtakes seeing the light maybe soonish they'll release a Brian demos comp? I can dream anyway!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 11:34:50 AM »

There has to be a reason for posting that.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 12:04:37 PM »

There has to be a reason for posting that.

I was thinking the same thing

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 12:18:43 PM »

Does the better quality version include Mike saying "THAT IS A MOTHER F'ER!" at the end?
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 12:19:56 PM »

That’s a mofo!!!!

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 12:33:30 PM »

There could be a reason for posting this on Instagram. But as I pointed out, they did the *exact same thing* with another demo from the same demo reel *four years ago*.

I don't think anything would necessarily be extremely imminent given that the push for the next few months will be on the symphonic BB album.

Regarding the that 1976 demo reel, just about any version floating around sounds much better than "Still I Dream of It" as heard on the 1995 IJWMFTT soundtrack CD. I actually still wonder if they purposely degraded the sound quality to make it sound more like a "home demo recorded on a cassette", when in fact it was an in-studio demo session recorded professionally (still don't know if they capture it on multi-track or just ran a live mono or stereo feed to tape).

But there was/is a version of the reel floating around as I recall that sounds better than the tracks commonly found on various "import" CDs back in the 90s, etc. Maybe not quite as good-sounding as the original source which presumably Brian and/or BRI has, but very good.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 10:06:39 PM »

Does the better quality version include Mike saying "THAT IS A MOTHER F'ER!" at the end?

I actually think that might be a strike against this stuff being officially released.  AFAIK, they'd have to include an explicit content warning which might limit the sales (some retailers won't carry it).  Have they ever included session chatter that contained profanity?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 10:07:28 PM by Ebb and Flow » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 10:55:55 PM »

I actually think that might be a strike against this stuff being officially released.  AFAIK, they'd have to include an explicit content warning which might limit the sales (some retailers won't carry it).  Have they ever included session chatter that contained profanity?
I wanna say yes but I could be wrong.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 02:30:06 AM »

I actually think that might be a strike against this stuff being officially released.  AFAIK, they'd have to include an explicit content warning which might limit the sales (some retailers won't carry it).  Have they ever included session chatter that contained profanity?

Yes. In the Keep an Eye On Summer digital compilation, I remember during the ‘All Summer Long’ sessions Denny says “G**dammit I hate this song.” after like 40 takes.

Given today’s advancements in audio editing, I would venture to bet it wouldn’t be very hard to scramble Mike’s swearing enough without messing up any music playing behind it. Even faking a tape malfunction to garble that section of the track could be done - purists would whine for a day but it would allow parents to play it in front of their kids.

I’m with HeyJude though, we’ve gotten videos like this before - in fact even recorded in the same style where there is perfect audio while someone records their computer screen. I have zero hope this is for a release, just another tease regarding some amazing material that should see the light of day. Too bad we’ll have to wait the better part of a decade to get this copyright extension release for the Love You tracks. I hate that many fans may not even hear this brilliant material ever because Capitol wanted to squeeze out every penny they could for 50 years after release. Too bad some of the longest living fans are hurt by this decision.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 07:27:48 AM »

I don't think a few f-words necessarily warrant the "Explicit" warning logo. I can think of numerous single-use examples of "f**k" and "s**t" and whatnot that have never had that warning. Billy Joel's "Laura" is one example. Lennon's "Working Class Hero" is another. There is some swearing on the "Beatles Anthology" discs (off the top of my head, "A Day in the Life" and the demo of "Happiness is a Warm Gun").

So I don't think Mike saying "motherfucker" one time would warrant the logo. That being said, hardly any retailers are around any more that would carry a big archival BB boxed set (Best Buy has or will soon stop carrying CDs, Target and Walmart barely have a section anymore, leaving only regional chains and indie stores), and if it really for some reason was an issue, they could easily edit out Mike's comment. I think any release of the recording *should* include Mike's comments, as it might well be one of the last times (and one of the few times) where Mike sounds genuine encouraging of Brian on tape, and is doing so *separate* from any collaboration.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx