gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:24:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Channel on Sirius XM  (Read 146609 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #525 on: July 03, 2018, 07:12:52 AM »

I don’t think Brian would have recorded or toured solo in the way that he did if Carl were still alive.  And if Brian hadn’t forge the relationship he did with the band, there’s no way he would have felt comfortable performing or recording Smile again. It’s awful to say, but I think Carl’s death opened more doors for BW creatively than it closed.

I agree, although I think Brian may have reached a similar place even with Carl around. They were still at least professionally relatively estranged through 1997 when Brian had started recording "Imagination."

I'm thinking he would have still launched some solo touring in later 1998 and/or 1999 even with Carl around. The question is, would Carl have brokered something keeping Brian more tied to the BBs?

The evidence we have seems to indicate that even prior to his illness, Carl had ceded a lot of creative (and business) control of the touring group to Mike. Carl sang on the SIP album, "Stars and Stripes", yet had *some sort* of issue with some of the Paley material. I don't think he would have refused to sing on that stuff given the right circumstances.

But, I have to imagine that the most likely scenario had Carl survived would have been for Al Jardine to *still* be edged out of the touring band, and for Carl to kind of coast on just doing the same old touring (and perhaps doing his AC/AOR-leaning "Beckley-Lamm-Wilson" sort of stuff occasionally), with Brian meanwhile doing his own solo touring. I tend to doubt, despite some fan wish fulfillment ideas, that Carl was anywhere close to *leaving* the BB touring group and joining up with Brian. He may well have guested with Brian, and I do think it's true that even a moderate amount of continued connection between Brian and Carl/The Beach Boys into 1998/1999/2000 would have probably slowed his pretty quick ascent into the "indie" scene and doing PS and then eventually "Smile."

I'd also guess that at some point probably in the mid-2000s, they would have pieced together some sort of reunion, bringing Al back into the fold (at least temporarily as with C50).

It's all just theories, but it would have been a bit ironic and strange (though par for the course for the BBs) if Al had joined Brian's tour while Carl stayed with Mike.

It's also intriguing to think what would have happened concerning David Marks had Carl survived. According to Stebbins/Marks, Dave was recruited in 1997 with an eye towards replacing *Al*, so theoretically we could have seen Carl and Dave both in the band (perhaps first with and then eventually without Al). But, while Stebbins describes Carl being 100% magnanimous upon hearing that Dave had returned to the touring group, I have to wonder how amendable to bringing Dave in (and/or bringing Dave in to replace Al) Carl would have been in 1997/98 had he not been ill. I sense, no offense to Dave, that Carl's magnanimous nature concerning Dave in 1997 was an easier prospect for Carl given all the stuff he was dealing with (his mother's illness and then death, and his own ongoing health problems).
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 07:17:17 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: July 03, 2018, 02:31:47 PM »

Interesting theories but I don't think Carl  :hatwould have stood by to see Al replaced. By all accounts he was very loyal and I believe he would have been loyal to Al too. I would have loved to have seen ian acoustic Beach Boy tour similar to the box set tour that they did with just Carla and Al. If only
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: July 03, 2018, 03:04:10 PM »

Just announced: Rolling Stone’s David Fricke will guest DJ tomorrow with his top 10 BB tunes.

Also of note: I’ve heard seemingly new interview clips with Brian and Marilyn in the last couple of days.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #528 on: July 03, 2018, 03:18:10 PM »

Just announced: Rolling Stone’s David Fricke will guest DJ tomorrow with his top 10 BB tunes.

Also of note: I’ve heard seemingly new interview clips with Brian and Marilyn in the last couple of days.

I heard them mention it yesterday:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,25935.msg637095.html#msg637095

Surprised it has taken so long to get some special programming on there.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: July 04, 2018, 08:49:33 AM »

I heard them mention it yesterday:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,25935.msg637095.html#msg637095

Surprised it has taken so long to get some special programming on there.

Well spotted!

I think the real question is how long the channel runs. If it goes into September we’ve still got a couple of months left!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: July 04, 2018, 09:12:20 AM »

They seem to be playing the entire 1964 Sacramento show in order.
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: July 04, 2018, 09:48:08 AM »

They just announced another LIVE concert at 3:00 pm eastern. Washington D.C. 1967.

Happy Birthday, America is in the rotation today.
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: July 04, 2018, 09:59:38 AM »

Must have been a big day for the Salute to Nascar album,  I heard Little GTO.

Also, several clips from Marilyn have been airing the past couple of days.

I heard my first Dennis interview clip the other day. Still waiting to hear from Carl.

I'd love to see (and hear) David Marks play his favorite Beach Boys songs post-1963. His thoughts on the mid and late 60's, the 1970's and 1980's. The solo albums.
C'mon SiriusXM! Make it happen!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #533 on: July 04, 2018, 10:03:13 AM »

I heard my first Dennis interview clip the other day. Still waiting to hear from Carl.

I'd love to see (and hear) David Marks play his favorite Beach Boys songs post-1963. His thoughts on the mid and late 60's, the 1970's and 1980's. The solo albums.

What did Dennis talk about in that clip?
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: July 04, 2018, 11:27:31 AM »

« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 11:39:49 AM by SloopJohnnyB » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #535 on: July 04, 2018, 11:28:16 AM »

They seem to be playing the entire 1964 Sacramento show in order.

That was nice, too.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: July 04, 2018, 11:38:18 AM »

It was "creating music and making people happy" thing. They then went into a Dennis song. I was busy at the time...can't remember the song. I recorded it, though. Nice!

For those of you with a DVD recorder you can plug your device into the machine and record the audio onto a blank DVD-R disc. I'm getting 9 hours of audio on 1 disc. Playback sounds great. I'll throw a disc in at night and let it record when I sleep. Record during the day when I can. If the channel doesn't return next year it will be nice to re-listen to the discs and channel.

I guess I don't have to tell anyone that there are ways to record the audio into your computer. The interviews seal the deal for me. I hope they keep adding more.

David Marks was just on talking about he and Dennis singing in the recording studio.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #537 on: July 04, 2018, 11:40:36 AM »

I don’t think Brian would have recorded or toured solo in the way that he did if Carl were still alive.  And if Brian hadn’t forge the relationship he did with the band, there’s no way he would have felt comfortable performing or recording Smile again. It’s awful to say, but I think Carl’s death opened more doors for BW creatively than it closed.

Sadly, I must agree. Granted, there's a lot we're not privvy to, but it seems like for whatever reason, Carl was more in tune with Mike than Brian at that time, and that he was afraid Brian would "embarrass" himself according to several reports.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #538 on: July 04, 2018, 12:24:44 PM »

I don’t think Brian would have recorded or toured solo in the way that he did if Carl were still alive.  And if Brian hadn’t forge the relationship he did with the band, there’s no way he would have felt comfortable performing or recording Smile again. It’s awful to say, but I think Carl’s death opened more doors for BW creatively than it closed.

Sadly, I must agree. Granted, there's a lot we're not privvy to, but it seems like for whatever reason, Carl was more in tune with Mike than Brian at that time, and that he was afraid Brian would "embarrass" himself according to several reports.

I agree. I think it's reasonable to assume, based on little glimpses of the family and business dynamic that was happening after Brian got away from Landy in the 90's which leaked through in various comments and interview bits (they're there if you find them), that there were private family issues that were as palpable and influencing things as much as the business/showbiz albatross on these men known as "The Beach Boys". Just understand there were family issues involving Brian, Carl, Audree, et al that were nagging issues which did not seem to be resolved. And as we know the family itself (as so many are) was operating as many would clinically term "dysfunctional" it is no surprise.

I'll go back to my theory - and that's all it is, albeit semi-informed - that Brian both wanted to be with "The Beach Boys" again but was just as tired of hearing the word "no" from them whenever he would come to them with ideas. Take a wound that has been open for decades, and keep rubbing it raw...it would be natural as I've said often in the past to just say "f*** it" at some point.

I think Carl's passing was the opportunity for Brian to in some ways wash his hands of the entity called The Beach Boys and all associated baggage and albatrosses and try to strike out on his own. And it was a blessing that things happened as they did and he found people who would be on his team both musically and personally, and look what happened.

I may think it was a mistake in retrospect as a fan who tends to take things to heart to a fault, but I also think Brian signing off on giving Mike the naming/touring option and license was his way of washing his hands of the whole affair. Not that he didn't want to be a Beach Boy again, and as we know that eventually happened with C50, but it was time for Brian to make music again and work with musicians who would work with him and not against him, and if Mike wanted to do his things his own way and run his lean-and-mean operation, that was the official gesture that sealed it.

And we all know the rest of the story.

In comparison, consider what that dynamic was leading up to 1998 and consider if it were the Love brothers rather than the Wilsons who were part of a band. The Love brothers are estranged to this day. It wasn't a case of sunny on one side and stormy on the other...the baggage on the Love side is heavier than many might assume. Add that to the equation when trying to hash all this stuff out.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 12:28:44 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #539 on: July 04, 2018, 12:29:03 PM »

It was "creating music and making people happy" thing. They then went into a Dennis song. I was busy at the time...can't remember the song. I recorded it, though. Nice!

For those of you with a DVD recorder you can plug your device into the machine and record the audio onto a blank DVD-R disc. I'm getting 9 hours of audio on 1 disc. Playback sounds great. I'll throw a disc in at night and let it record when I sleep. Record during the day when I can. If the channel doesn't return next year it will be nice to re-listen to the discs and channel.

I guess I don't have to tell anyone that there are ways to record the audio into your computer. The interviews seal the deal for me. I hope they keep adding more.

David Marks was just on talking about he and Dennis singing in the recording studio.

Thanks - wondering what exactly Dave said about singing with Dennis in the studio - anything specific in terms of a particular song, or vocal part on a song?
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: July 04, 2018, 12:40:34 PM »

Maybe someone else heard it but something about he and Dennis singing the same notes and tone kind of canceling each other out. Maybe singing the same parts.

I'm multi-tasking today, listening but not listening.  Shocked  LOL The heat here in the east is kind of getting me., too.  Tongue

Still enjoying the channel, though.

Steamboat on right now! Fantastic to hear the variety.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 12:43:07 PM by SloopJohnnyB » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: July 04, 2018, 06:47:57 PM »

Big news: First officially unreleased track played — Back in the USSR live with Ringo. Unless I’m missing the disc where that appeared.
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: July 04, 2018, 07:00:24 PM »

Big news: First officially unreleased track played — Back in the USSR live with Ringo. Unless I’m missing the disc where that appeared.

I jumped in the car and saw the listing, but didn't here it as it transitioned to the next song. I'm bummed I missed it.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #543 on: July 04, 2018, 07:58:28 PM »

It was on a rare “Love Foundation” charity album.
https://www.discogs.com/Various-Fourth-of-July-A-Rockin-Celebration-of-America/release/8652676

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #544 on: July 04, 2018, 08:03:55 PM »

Whoa...

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #545 on: July 04, 2018, 08:29:14 PM »

I have "Back in the USSR" as an official release on vinyl. Could this be the first appearance of a vinyl cut?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #546 on: July 04, 2018, 08:31:13 PM »

^ That just might be

“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: July 05, 2018, 06:39:10 AM »

The Mike Love solo song?

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #548 on: July 05, 2018, 06:55:39 AM »

I have "Back in the USSR" as an official release on vinyl. Could this be the first appearance of a vinyl cut?

Most likely. "Problem Child" I believe was only released on vinyl and cassette in the US commercially (on CD only as a promo), so that's perhaps the closest thing.

They've played a few outside Brian songs/productions that aren't pulled from "Big Beat '63" or "Still I Dream of You", but I think in those cases they must be getting pulled from some other compilation CDs.

As others have pointed out, the "Back in the USSR" cut indeed is not previously unreleased and comes from that "Rockin' Celebration" album that also included other '84 and '85 live 4th of July tracks as well as Mike's solo studio track "Happy Birthday America." And of course, it would appear they pulled stuff from that album yesterday due to the holiday. It'll be interesting to see if it stays in rotation.

What will be interesting to see is if they start pulling other vinyl-only stuff. Specifically, this would allow them to play "Looking Back with Love" and stuff from the two (or three even) "Celebration" albums, and the vinyl version of "Rock and Roll City" (I think titled 'Rock and Roll Again" or something?) without the one BB track. There's some other miscellaneous stuff as well such as "Happy Endings" (and the b-side, a random live 80s version of "California Girls"), "Chasin' the Sky" (briefly available on the CD soundtrack for "Up the Creek"), the cassette-only "Rock and Roll City" album with the first version of "California Dreamin'."

None of this stuff is a-list material, but I'd probably rather hear Bruce's rendition of "Sealed with a Kiss" than more "Hot Doggers" material.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 07:06:32 AM by HeyJude » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #549 on: July 05, 2018, 06:59:19 AM »

The Mike Love solo song?

Yes, also from that same "Rockin' Celebration" album.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx