gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:37:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Channel on Sirius XM  (Read 146781 times)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: June 10, 2018, 09:55:24 PM »

If you were young then, it was relevant.

I understand the relevance of the Kent State Massacre.  I’m saying the song is a poor response to it.
“I know we're all fed up with useless wars and racial strife
But next time there's a riot, well, you best stay out of sight” to me says, yeah it’s rough but there’s nothing we can do about it so don’t get involved because it’s dangerous.  Also the “Bachelor of bullets” line strikes me as a little insensitive to the victims.  It’s like Mike heard CSNY’s “Ohio” and wanted to do a song like that but lacked the social awareness (and songwriting skills) to say something equally effective.

MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: June 11, 2018, 06:23:48 AM »

I understand the relevance of the Kent State Massacre.  I’m saying the song is a poor response to it.
But next time there's a riot, well, you best stay out of sight” to me says, yeah it’s rough but there’s nothing we can do about it so don’t get involved because it’s dangerous.  Also the “Bachelor of bullets” line strikes me as a little insensitive to the victims.  It’s like Mike heard CSNY’s “Ohio” and wanted to do a song like that but lacked the social awareness (and songwriting skills) to say something equally effective.

Agreed 100%!

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #402 on: June 11, 2018, 06:30:21 AM »

If you were young then, it was relevant.

I understand the relevance of the Kent State Massacre.  I’m saying the song is a poor response to it.
But next time there's a riot, well, you best stay out of sight” to me says, yeah it’s rough but there’s nothing we can do about it so don’t get involved because it’s dangerous.  Also the “Bachelor of bullets” line strikes me as a little insensitive to the victims.  It’s like Mike heard CSNY’s “Ohio” and wanted to do a song like that but lacked the social awareness (and songwriting skills) to say something equally effective.

Well said.

It is often referenced, even by band members including Brian and Mike, as out of step with the band's musical style, but that aspect of the song is frankly the least of its problems. It's a credibly-performed 12-bar-blues musically, probably most noteworthy on a musical level as Blondie Chaplin's first session with the band.

But it was ham-fisted back then, resonated with few back then (despite Mike trying to work both the original "Riot..." and later SDT into the setlist), and in another indication of some element of the band being tone deaf as to the prevailing issues of the day as presented on an album, actually put Bruce's "Disney Girls" on the same album *UNIRONICALLY*; I've never seen anybody in the band say the two songs were positioned on the album to contrast the realities with the fantasies/romanticizing of a time/era that never really existed for many in the first place. Nope, while "Disney Girls" is *obviously* an ode to idealized olden days, it was a sign that elements of the band were already panging for it to be "the way it used to be", forgetting both the realities of modern times and the fact that man had never experienced those "olden days" in the privileged way some of them had.

In addition to all of this, the subsequent self-proclaimed politics and ideals of Mike, who spearheaded the SDT track/lyrics, makes the SDT track even more laughable/ironic/lamentable (though it helps to explain the calculated, NON-organic way in which Mike tried to write the lyrics).

And, even if we take the song at face value and assume Mike was 100% earnest in crafting the song, it's just bad and the lyrics *are* at times laughably insensitive whether intended or not.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 06:31:15 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: June 11, 2018, 06:31:01 AM »

Ironically, if they'd just gone with the original lyrics, the song would have been more relevant, because it came out in proximity to the Attica and other prison riots.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 06:37:22 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #404 on: June 11, 2018, 06:33:29 AM »

Ironically, if they'd just gone with the original lyrics, the song would have been more relevant, because it came out in proximity to the Attica prison riot.

And they did indeed perform the song as "Riot" at some shows prior to the SDT rewrite. From extant recordings, it doesn't sound like it particular resonated with audiences in either form, but certainly performing the original iteration was less problematic tonally for a number of reasons.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: June 11, 2018, 09:03:52 AM »

"They always seem to be playing “Rock and Roll Music” when I tune in, and it’s always the single version. "

,,,,,and may no one ever play any other RnRM version!

(song title appearing in another previous post "Al This Is That" - interesting mis-spelling, al things considered)

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #406 on: June 11, 2018, 09:34:45 AM »

For whatever reason, they've been playing both the single *and* album versions of the stuff that has unique single mixes on "GH Vol. 3: Best of the Brother Years."

So I hear both album and single versions of "California Saga", "Rock and Roll Music", and "It's OK."

It's probably just random, but in the last 24 hours or so I've seen them pull out and play a lot more of the previously-unreleased "Made in California" tracks including "My Love Lives On", "Soul Searchin', "You're Still a Mystery", and "You've Lost that Lovin' Feelin'."

They also are still playing Surfin' USA (and Surfin' Safari and Surfin') and Fun Fun Fun and Be True To Your School and Surfer Girl, etc. a million times. Someone at Sirius also seems super enamored with "Darlin'" and "Wild Honey", which seem to be played a million times as well.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 09:43:25 AM by HeyJude » Logged

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: June 11, 2018, 10:01:37 AM »

The setlist, starting 10:45 a.m. CST and running through 3:15 p.m. CST

Do It Again (Endless Harmony early version)
Forever
Got to Know the Woman
I Can Hear Music
You're Still a Mystery (Made In California)

It's OK (single)
Girls on the Beach
Kokomo
Fourth of July
You're So Good to Me

Don't Worry Baby (orchestral version)
I Get Around (w/Sawyer Brown)
Surfin USA
Long Tall Texan (64 Sacramento)
Goin On'

Waves of Love
My Love Lives On
When I Grow Up (To Be a Man)
Daybreak Over the Ocean (group version)
Surfin'

Heads You Win - Tails I Lose
All Summer Lonh (a cappella)
Cotton Fields (45 version)
Darlin'
Hold On, Dear Brother

Sloop John B (BW sole lead, PS Sessions)
Don't Run Away (Bruce and Terry)
Surfin' Safari
The Trader
Girl Don' Tell Me

Hawthorne Boulevard (Live Sunshine)
Good Vibrations
Marcella
Everyone's In Love With You
Little Honda ('64 single mix)

Dance, Dance, Dance
Bluebirds over the Mountain
Never Learn Not to Love (!)
Catch a Wave
How She Boogalooed It

Caroline, No
Good Timin'
Break Away (demo)
Be True to Your School (w/Toby Keith)
When a Man Needs a Woman

Friends
Sail on Sailor
Lady Lynda ('80 Knebworth)
Heroes and Villains
Kiss Me Baby (the real one)

Summertime Blues
Little Deuce Coupe
Warmth of the Sun
Wild Honey
Surfer Girl

Lookin' at Tomorrow
She Knows Me too Well
He Couldn't Get His Poor Old Body to Move (BW solo)
Aren't You Glad
Wouldn't It Be Nice

Oh Darlin'
Disney Girls
Land Ahoy (Rarities cover)
Getcha Back (Live C50 version)
Fun, Fun, Fun

Sunshine
Add Some Music
California Girls (Lei'd in Hawaii)
Cocktails (Dennis solo)
Rock n Roll Music (single mix)

Shelter
Let Him Run Wild
Soulful Old Man Shunshine
Forever (first repeat)

Funky Pretty
Do It Again
In My Room (German)
I Went to Sleep
It's OK

A Casual Look
You're Still a Mystery (second repeat)
You Still Believe in Me
I Do
Do You Wanna Dance?

Hawaii (Al in Vegas)
Girls on the Beach (third repeat)
Drive In
Surfin' USA
Here She Comes

Goin' On
Good Vibrations (BW live 2014)
I Get Around
Spirit of America
Daybreak Over the Ocean (fourth repeat)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 01:09:20 PM by Wirestone » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #408 on: June 11, 2018, 10:14:59 AM »

In the category of extra-useless minutia, it looks like occasionally tracks are mis-flagged, such as the "Live at the Roxy" version of "Pet Sounds" being flagged as the "02 London" version from the PS Live album.

branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: June 11, 2018, 11:47:59 PM »

Did anyone catch the session excerpt that had Brian saying someone messed up on a Take and they had sh#t the bed? I believe someone then says, why did you swear Brian?  LOL Also during the You're So Good To Me excerpt: Chuck Britz"What's the title?" Dennis "F#ck Off!"  LOL
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #410 on: June 12, 2018, 07:32:37 AM »

Heard "Girl It's Alright Now" by Bruce & Terry yesterday. Wow, total ripoff of the Moody Blues version of "Go Now."

I know Bruce hasn't even been shy in interviews about how his bread and butter pre-Beach Boys was doing BB "knock-off" records. But apparently they knocked off other bands too.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: June 12, 2018, 08:07:49 AM »

Tuesday playlist, from 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. CST.

Friends
Sloop John B
Don't Back Down (alternate)
Forever (w/Stamos, SIP)
Surfin'

Sail On Sailor
Problem Child
Goin' On
Don't Worry Baby (w/RPO)
Kiss Me, Baby (Robo Love)

Catch a Wave
Boogie Woodie
Good Timin'
Drivin' (Al / BW / America)
All Alone

I Can Hear Music
Judy
You Still Believe in Me
Spring Vacation
Little Honda (65 Chicago)

Vega-Table (BWPS)
Do It Again
Caroline, No
Heroes and Villains (Lei'd In Hawaii)
You're Got a Friend in Me (BW solo)

California Girls (w/RPO)
Keep an Eye on Summer
Add Some Music
The Girl from New York City
Kokomo

The Little Girl I Once Knew
Johnny Carson
Wouldn't It Be Nice
Getcha Back
Warmth of the Sun

In the Parkin' Lot
Help You Rhonda (Lei'd in Hawaii)
Surfin' Safari
Hey Little Tomboy
Surf City (Jan and Dean)

Games Two Can Play
Rock and Roll Music (single mix)
Be True to Your School ('64 Sacramento)
Please Let Me Wonder
Baby Blue

Brian's Back (Mike Love solo)
Dance, Dance, Dance (a capella)
That's Why God Made the Radio
Surfer Girl

This Whole World
She Knows Me Too Well
Fun, Fun, Fun (single mix)
That Same Song
Hawaii

Noble Surfer
Little Deuce Coupe / I Get Around (live medley from Hallmark CD)
In Blue Hawaii (BWPS)
Keepin' the Summer Alive
Chug-a-Lug

All Summer Long
I Wanna Pick You Up
Girls on the Beach
When I Grow Up
Break Away

Summer of Love
Cotton Fields (single)
Girl, It's Alright Now (Bruce and Terry)
Do You Wanna Dance?
From There to Back Again

In My Room
You're Welcome
God Only Knows (sax version from PS Sessions)
Til I Die
I Went to Sleep

Long Promised Road (Carl Wilson, Bottom Line)
Rock N Roll to the Rescue
Darlin
I Was Made to Love Her
Surfer Moon

Sloop John B
Lady Lynda
Heroes and Villains (BB in Concert)
California Saga (complete)
Wendy

Surfin' USA
When a Man Needs a Woman
It's Okay (single mix)
Marcella (BW and Friends live)
Kokomo (first repeat, I think)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 11:54:41 AM by Wirestone » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #412 on: June 12, 2018, 08:32:54 AM »

Other random observations that have come up hearing various tracks:

Mike's "Unleash the Love" is truly an assault on the ears. I don't think I've quite ever heard autotune this excessive and distracting. And it's dialed to "11" on everything whether it needs it or not. Mike's autotuned, Foskett is autotuned, Mike's daughter is autotuned. "Summer in Paradise" sounds like an organic, analogue dream compared to this.

"Unleash the Love" (the album) may well actually be the most *difficult* thing to listen to I can think of, ever. Even that one time I went into an indie record shop and they were just playing some avant garde thing consisting of feedback and wine glass sounds, even that wasn't as grating.

"Stars and Stripes" is truly, truly awful. They *can* skip that stuff now. I used to say "oh, well, at least the Willie Nelson track is okay", but even that one's lazy. If they want to put all the backing vocals out isolated, I'm on board. Otherwise, bury this thing.

Mike's "Cool Head, Warm Heart" from the Hallmark CD is still the best solo track on that CD (it didn't have much competition, but still...). He should have just put out his 2004 solo stuff last year.

Not seeing much from the '73 "In Concert" album on the channel.

"Land Ahoy" is still inexplicably, for better or worse, one of the better songs from the first album even though it was *left off.*

"Finders Keepers" is a total mess. Can't help but find some sort of charm in that early BB stuff, but what a messy record, which is weird because Brian was very quickly cutting amazingly clean-sounding records/backing tracks (e.g. "Surfer Girl", etc.).

I forgot how languid and interminable Bruce's solo version of "Disney Girls" from "Going Public" is. It's like he's daring you to see if you can finish the song without turning it off.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 08:35:11 AM by HeyJude » Logged

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: June 12, 2018, 08:38:43 AM »

Finally hearing In The Key Of Disney! -You've Got A Friend In Me
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 01:06:37 PM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: June 12, 2018, 08:42:24 AM »

Finally hearing In The Key Of Disney! -You've Got A Friend In Me

At this point, I think we've covered the entire BW solo discography -- with the exception of the Christmas record. Ditto for the BB group discography.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 08:43:21 AM by Wirestone » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #415 on: June 12, 2018, 08:57:05 AM »

We've certainly seen all the core BB studio albums. Not sure if they've touched on every archival set (e.g. either of the two "Pet Sounds" anniversary sets).

But at this stage, it's mostly just weird random stuff that may or may not have been touched on (e.g. Brian's tracks on "Classics Selected by...", the "New Music from Old Friends" tracks, random solo tracks, etc.).

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: June 12, 2018, 10:02:48 AM »

We've certainly seen all the core BB studio albums. Not sure if they've touched on every archival set (e.g. either of the two "Pet Sounds" anniversary sets).

But at this stage, it's mostly just weird random stuff that may or may not have been touched on (e.g. Brian's tracks on "Classics Selected by...", the "New Music from Old Friends" tracks, random solo tracks, etc.).

Yesterday, the played the Brian-only Sloop John B lead from the PS Sessions box, with art of said box accompanying.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 10:09:40 AM by Wirestone » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #417 on: June 12, 2018, 10:37:09 AM »

In Blue Hawaii followed by Keeping the Summer Alive worked surprisingly well a little bit ago

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: June 12, 2018, 11:05:41 AM »

They just played a track from Carl live at the Bottom Line -- I'm pretty sure that's a boot, right? That would really open the options for future playlists!  Grin
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 11:07:21 AM by Wirestone » Logged
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #419 on: June 12, 2018, 11:37:44 AM »

Now playing "California Saga - Complete", which as you might guess is all three parts continuously.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #420 on: June 12, 2018, 11:52:23 AM »

They just played a track from Carl live at the Bottom Line -- I'm pretty sure that's a boot, right? That would really open the options for future playlists!  Grin

Both the Bottom Line and My Father's Place 1981 radio broadcasts have been released as pseudo "official" releases, found on Amazon, etc. I suppose "grey market" might be the best descriptor.

More indication that SiriusXM just grabs whatever off the shelf that has been released on CD, plus I would presume more official digital-only releases (the copyright extension sets).

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #421 on: June 12, 2018, 12:17:25 PM »

There have been a few other "grey" market BB live releases, of shows like Japan 1966, Fillmore East '71, Nassau 1974, Philadelphia 1980, 7/4/81 Washington DC and the 7/4/85 Philadelphia show, so it'll be interesting to see if any of that stuff makes it.

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: June 12, 2018, 04:22:30 PM »

Have they played Drip Drop yet?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: June 12, 2018, 10:20:53 PM »

Mt. Vernon and Fairway!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #424 on: June 12, 2018, 10:41:13 PM »

Yup... I was shocked they played it!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 28 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx