gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:40:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Channel on Sirius XM  (Read 146610 times)
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: June 07, 2018, 10:26:58 AM »

I met my wife while listening to Murry berate the boys during the sessions for Help Me Rhonda, can you play that session please?

I would imagine they're picking requests to actually play on air based on it sounding good ("I met my wife while this song was playing"), and also to line up with the playlist (hence re-using the same request recording multiple times).

But it also sounds like they're playing songs by request in some cases even when they don't play back the actual request on air.

I recall years ago requesting a music video on VH1 Classic for their "Request" show, and they actually e-mailed me and gave me the date and time they were playing it. The host even ended up reading my request on the air and making a whole thing out of the story behind my request.

But I'm guessing Sirius doesn't have the resources to call back each person and tell them "We'll be playing your request for 'Wrinkles the Dog' today at 4:19 PM."

I'm surprised they're not taking e-mail/web form requests, although maybe the idea is for them to record the requests so they can play some on the air.  
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: June 07, 2018, 11:08:23 AM »

LOL
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: June 07, 2018, 11:40:40 AM »

but....

would they take a request for, and play......

(we can take bets on this)

Two Step Side-Step
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #378 on: June 08, 2018, 06:23:08 AM »

My ears were finally graced by the channel yesterday with the "Hot Doggers" take on "Surfin'", and I didn't think it was possible to make that song sound so awful. Makes the awful Jan & Dean cover sound good in comparison.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #379 on: June 08, 2018, 07:59:36 AM »

More songs I'm hearing a TON (some make more sense than others):

She Knows Me Too Well
Girl Don't Tell Me
Wouldn't It Be Nice
Darlin'
The Surfer Moon
Catch a Wave
Susie Cincinnati
It's OK
California Saga (Al's solo version was played a ton at first, now the BB version seems quite common)

A funny one yesterday; while I love having Dennis represented as much as possible, I was a bit surprised that they spun "Got to Know the Woman" (not his high point in my opinion) TWICE within the span of just a few hours.

It's also funny how they do both "album" and "year" themed "2 in a row segments", but any year after 1967 means they're probably going to take two songs from the same album if they're pulling from the same year. "2 from 1971" invariably means two from "Surf's Up", and so on. 

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #380 on: June 08, 2018, 08:00:24 AM »

I see "Let's Put Our Hearts Together" is credited to "The Beach Boys/Marilyn Wilson."

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: June 08, 2018, 11:29:23 AM »

NP: "Shortnin' Bread"!!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #382 on: June 08, 2018, 12:03:13 PM »

The two-shot from "LA" of "Shortenin' Bread" and "Lady Lynda" was interesting. I mentioned in the "Symphonic" album thread that they've started playing more tracks from that album today. Heard "God Only Knows" and "Darlin'." Sounds like they have indeed re-recorded some elements of the backing tracks on some of these songs.

Finally saw something played from "Hawthorne, CA" ("Shut Down" live; not the most exciting pick from that one), which someone else mentioned had been played many days ago.

Continuing to catch some strange stuff in the last few days. Not strange really since they're playing everything, but was weird to hear a two-shot of Carl's "If I Could Talk to Love", followed by Brian's "Being with the One You Love", followed soon after by raw session takes of "Don't Worry Baby" from the '64 copyright extension set.

Please though, no more "Hot Doggers." I'd rather hear Jan & Dean or even "Summer in Paradise" tracks......

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #383 on: June 08, 2018, 03:34:45 PM »

They just played "Fallin' In Love" from "Summer Love Songs"; first time I've seen them pull from that album.

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: June 08, 2018, 08:45:36 PM »

First appearance of Everything I Need?

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: June 09, 2018, 07:27:25 AM »

Now Playing....Mike Love's singing lead on Rhonda from Unleash the Love. This should be permanently BANNED from Sirius....Absolutely Horrible vocals by Love......Al must be smiling hard when he hears how AWFUL ;ove sounds on this version.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #386 on: June 09, 2018, 10:24:35 AM »

I assume the version from the "The Wilsons" album?

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: June 09, 2018, 10:36:47 AM »

I assume the version from the "The Wilsons" album?

Yes, but they didn't provide any album art. Not even that generic 'Good Vibrations: The Beach Boys channel' art.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
AKA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: June 09, 2018, 12:57:40 PM »

They always seem to be playing “Rock and Roll Music” when I tune in, and it’s always the single version.
AKA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: June 09, 2018, 01:11:58 PM »

I’m surprised they don’t play non-Beach Boys songs with Beach Boys guest vocals. Things like “Wishing You Were Here,” “Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me” or even Belinda Carlisle’s “California.”

It would also be fun if the stations played the occasional Beach Boys cover — things like David Lee Roth’s “California Girls” (also featuring a Beach Boys guest vocalist), “Surfin’ Safari” by Ramones or “I Get Around” by the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
AKA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: June 09, 2018, 04:19:47 PM »

Saturday, June 9, 2018; 12:45-4:05 pm

1. Surf’s Up
2. Darlin’
3. Steamboat
4. You Still Believe in Me
5. Lana
6. Rock and Roll Music [45 version]
7. Crack at Your Love
8. The Little Girl I Once Knew
9. In the Back of My Mind
10. Surfer Girl
11. In My Car
12. Little Honda [unreleased single mix, from Keep an Eye on Summer: The Beach Boys Sessions 1964]
13. Sail On, Sailor
14. Caroline, No
15. Keepin’ the Summer Alive [from Good Timin’: Live at Knebworth, England 1980]
16. It’s OK [45 version]
17. Catch a Wave
18. Wouldn’t It Be Nice [from The Beach Boys with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra]
19. 409
20. Let the Wind Blow
21. On a Holiday [from Brian Wilson Presents Smile]
22. ‘Til I Die
23. Wake the World
24. California Girls
25. Barbie [Kenny and the Cadets]
26. Shut Down
27. Don’t Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)
28. The Warmth of the Sun [with Willie Nelson, from Stars and Stripes, Vol. 1]
29. Noble Surfer
30. I Get Around
31. Break Away
32. Livin’ with a Heartache
33. Do It Again [Mike Love with Uncle Jesse and Sugar Ray; someone please kill it with fire; why, God, why?]
34. Please Let Me Wonder
35. Don’t Worry, Baby
36. Disney Girls (1957)
37. Sloop John B
38. Little Girl (You’re My Miss America)
39. Do You Wanna Dance?
40. Friends [live in Chicago, 1968; from Made in California]
41. Spring Vacation
42. Help Me, Rhonda [45 version]
43. Kiss Me, Baby
44. I Went to Sleep
45. God Only Knows [from The Beach Boys with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra]
46. Girls on the Beach
47. Surfers Rule
48. Cool, Cool Water [45 version]
49. Good Vibrations
50. Kokomo [live in Hollywood, 1989; from Songs from Here & Back]
51. Bluebirds Over the Mountain
52. Soulful Old Man Sunshine
53. Little Deuce Coupe
54. This Car of Mine
55. Surfin’ Safari [early alternate version]
56. You’re So Good to Me
57. Fun, Fun, Fun [from The Beach Boys with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra]
58. Funky Pretty
59. Add Some Music to Your Day
60. Hawaii [Bruce & Terry]
61. Oh Darlin’
62. Surfin’ U.S.A.
63. Wild Honey
64. All the Love in Paris [Mike Love & Dave Koz]
65. You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feelin’
66. Dance, Dance, Dance
67. Mother May I
68. Marcella
69. Soul Searchin’ [Beach Boys version, from Made in California]
70. Cottonfields [45 version, original mono mix]
71. California Saga (On My Way to Sunny Californ-i-a) [45 version]
72. Think About the Days
73. Girl Don’t Tell Me [Al Jardine, from Live in Las Vegas
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: June 10, 2018, 01:41:02 AM »

They always seem to be playing “Rock and Roll Music” when I tune in, and it’s always the single version.

Good.
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #392 on: June 10, 2018, 03:49:22 AM »

"I'd really like to hear California Girls.......it reminds me of family and friends"

Naturally they then played Dance, Dance, Dance for him  Cheesy

BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #393 on: June 10, 2018, 04:14:08 AM »

Hopefully at some point all these interviews are collected together, just because of the topics that never seem to be discussed elsewhere. Even if its nothing revolutionary, its interesting hearing David talk about "Cuckoo Clock" and Bruce talk about Gary Usher, etc.

Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: June 10, 2018, 05:20:23 AM »

A couple of great songs I'm still waiting to hear...Al This Is That and Where I Belong. Have heard a few songs off of BB 85, but not what I think is the best song on that collection, Where I Belong. Anyone heard that one yet?
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: June 10, 2018, 05:44:05 AM »

A couple of great songs I'm still waiting to hear...Al This Is That and Where I Belong. Have heard a few songs off of BB 85, but not what I think is the best song on that collection, Where I Belong. Anyone heard that one yet?

Yes I heard that

BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #396 on: June 10, 2018, 10:16:21 AM »

A new feature, in the vein of "two in a row", is the "Vocal Track", which is (as the name suggests) an vocal track only version of a song.

All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 10, 2018, 10:32:57 AM »

I'm not making this up, a guy just requested "Student Demonstration Time."

Just wondering, do fans hate this song because it's a re-write of a classic 50's song? I kinda like it because it's unique; I'm still wading my way through the group's career.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: June 10, 2018, 12:30:15 PM »

I'm not making this up, a guy just requested "Student Demonstration Time."

Just wondering, do fans hate this song because it's a re-write of a classic 50's song? I kinda like it because it's unique; I'm still wading my way through the group's career.

I don’t like it because the lyrics are politically tone-deaf and that siren is like nails on the chalkboard.

jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: June 10, 2018, 05:23:18 PM »

If you were young then, it was relevant.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 28 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx