gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:01:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Channel on Sirius XM  (Read 146617 times)
AKA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: June 02, 2018, 07:33:09 PM »

June 3, 2018, 2:30-4:30 pm PDT

1. Desert Drive [Brian Wilson]
2. 409
3. Can’t Wait Too Long [from 1967: Sunshine Tomorrow 2 — The Studio Sessions]
4. It’s OK [45 version]
5. Pitter Patter
6. Good Vibrations [by request]
7. Marcella
8. Male Ego
9. Here Comes the Night
10. California Saga [Al Jardine featuring Neil Young, David Crosby and Stephen Stills]
11. In My Room
12. The Rocking Surfer
13. The Little Girl I Once Knew
14. Do It Again/Workshop
15. All I Wanna Do
16. Caroline, No
17. Mother May I
18. Fun, Fun, Fun [from With the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra]
19. Shut Down [Live in Chicago, 1965]
20. Friends
21. Walk On By
22. Surfin’ U.S.A.
23. H.E.L.P. Is on the Way
24. Girl Don’t Tell Me
25. Surf’s Up [false starts demo, from 1967: Sunshine Tomorrow]
26. Rock and Roll Music [45 version]
27. Match Point of Our Love
28. Add Some Music to Your Day
29. Surfer Girl
30. Kiss Me, Baby [Mike Love, from Unleash the Love]
31. Surfin’ Safari
32. I’d Love Just Once to See You
33. Why Do Fools Fall in Love
34. Stoked
35. Let It Shine [Brian Wilson]
36. When I Grow Up (To Be a Man)
37. Island Fever
38. Break Away
39. Let’s Go Away for Awhile
40. I Get Around [from Good Timin’: Live at Kneborth, England 1980]
41. Don’t Worry, Baby
42. The Surfer Moon
43. Solar System
44. Let Him Run Wild [alternate take]
45. One for the Boys [Brian Wilson]
46. Sloop John B
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 07:33:44 PM by AKA » Logged
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #326 on: June 03, 2018, 02:05:19 AM »

An interview with Dean just played, which I think is the first time I've heard a non-Beach Boy talk about anything.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: June 03, 2018, 06:12:38 AM »

Heard a snippet from Hal Blaine, how Brian translated his pain into music

And "Help You Rhonda"? Sorry Al, it doesn't work.

Also heard Southern California from TLOS and Dennis' All Alone (what a great song!)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 07:27:20 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: June 03, 2018, 08:59:43 AM »

Heard Al's solo version of Sloop John B a pirate song. I know that was on promotional CD but I wasn't aware it was on any other CD as a bonus track. Possibly one of Al'e solo CDs which had about three or four different versions
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: June 03, 2018, 11:31:03 AM »

Surprisingly the one song I haven't heard yet is All this is That,  most times considered one of the best Beach Boys songs without Brian's participation. Have yet to hear it
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: June 03, 2018, 06:38:57 PM »

I haven't heard All This is That either...weird

I must be well into double digits for Dance Dance Dance and Goin On now.

On another note, I had forgotten how really good Al's live in Vegas album was.  Nice to hear some tracks from it!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 03, 2018, 07:17:36 PM »

Love Carnie’s leads on this material. She sounds great!
nach0king
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 03, 2018, 07:26:19 PM »

Please someone tell me that I'm not going nuts - at 10:09am Central on Sunday, they played Dance Dance Dance twice in a row. Right?
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 03, 2018, 08:10:36 PM »

Heard Al's solo version of Sloop John B a pirate song. I know that was on promotional CD but I wasn't aware it was on any other CD as a bonus track.

It was a bonus track on one of the CD releases of A Postcard from California.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 08:11:06 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 03, 2018, 10:42:51 PM »

Another random one: The only two songs I've caught, and I've caught them both *numerous* times, from 20/20 are "I Can Hear Music" and weirdly "Be With Me."

I heard "The Nearest Faraway Place" a little bot ago. What a oxymoronic song title...
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 04, 2018, 03:30:49 AM »

Thanks Emdeeh. I have 3 separate releases of Postcard, one of which was signed by Al that I picked up at the Big Sur General Store when I was out there a few years ago. I figured it was on one of those as a bonus track, along with Waves of Love. I like that one too, surprised we haven't heard that one yet, but hearing the Pirate version gives hope. Thanks!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 04, 2018, 06:00:35 AM »

I did hear Waves on the channel last week — the alternate mix with Carl mixed way back in the chorus.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #337 on: June 04, 2018, 06:50:24 AM »

Heard a snippet from Hal Blaine, how Brian translated his pain into music

And "Help You Rhonda"? Sorry Al, it doesn't work.

Also heard Southern California from TLOS and Dennis' All Alone (what a great song!)

I'm not entirely clear on whose idea it was, but I never got the impression the weird "Help You Rhonda" lyrical variation was Al's idea. So it could well not be his fault particularly.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #338 on: June 04, 2018, 06:55:38 AM »

Heard Al's solo version of Sloop John B a pirate song. I know that was on promotional CD but I wasn't aware it was on any other CD as a bonus track.

It was a bonus track on one of the CD releases of A Postcard from California.

I think the "Pirate's...." version of "Sloop John B" was on every version of the CD starting with the 2012 reissue. It's only missing from that "Manufacture on Demand" CD (and accompanying download) from 2010.

Other than the "Waves of Love" confusion, there's really only two versions of "Postcards" (in the US anyway): The 2010 version and the 2012 version (which added some bonus tracks including "Sloop" and "California Dreamin'").

The 2010 CD vs. download versions were identical, and both were essentially deleted upon the 2012 reissue.

In 2012, in addition to the bonus tracks, the download vs. CD versions had different versions of "Waves of Love."

Beyond that, there's a 2012 Japan "SHM" version that adds another slight alternate mix of "Waves of Love" as well as the exclusive "The Eternal Ballad", which Al had written and performed back in 1998 for one or two weird exclusive live performances.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #339 on: June 04, 2018, 06:58:58 AM »

I did hear Waves on the channel last week — the alternate mix with Carl mixed way back in the chorus.

And this perhaps helps us determine that SiriusXM pulls their material from CD, perhaps exclusively, as that version of "Waves" was essentially erroneously pressed onto the initial CD run of "Postcards." Pulling everything from CD would of course also explain their playing stuff from SIP, Still Cruisin', etc.

The only thing I'm unsure of is if they ever did another print run of the physical "Postcards" CD with the "correct" version of "Waves" as heard on the downloadable version. They did include that "correct" version on the Japan SHM CD (along with a slight alternate mix of the same "correct" version).

To the degree either of the two main versions is "rare", it would seem the version SiriusXM is playing is the "rare" version of the song.

Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 04, 2018, 07:54:38 PM »

Never actually listened to EVERY song on Summer in Paradise since most of what I'd heard wasn't that good and what I'd heard on places like this board said it was basically the anti-christ.  Anyways, this song comes on and I'm listening and I'm thinking "hmm...this isnt terrible...the lyrics are a little stupid but its kinda catchy...wonder what its from?"
turns out its "Still Surfin" from Summer In Paradise

Obviously not as good as anything from any other album but its a little catchy and innocuous enough little ditty tho.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 07:55:58 PM by Needleinthehay » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 04, 2018, 08:33:32 PM »

Last night heard Dean speaking — then they played Surf City! First track from an artist who hasn’t been a group member at some point? I mean, I know BW sings on it.

Heard Hal Blaine a couple of times comparing Brian to Spector.

Agree with the earlier point about SIP — the surrounding material makes those tunes sound almost reasonable at times.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 08:34:03 PM by Wirestone » Logged
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 05, 2018, 05:29:29 AM »

They are playing My Diane A LOT Shocked
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #343 on: June 05, 2018, 07:40:03 AM »

Never actually listened to EVERY song on Summer in Paradise since most of what I'd heard wasn't that good and what I'd heard on places like this board said it was basically the anti-christ.  Anyways, this song comes on and I'm listening and I'm thinking "hmm...this isnt terrible...the lyrics are a little stupid but its kinda catchy...wonder what its from?"
turns out its "Still Surfin" from Summer In Paradise

Obviously not as good as anything from any other album but its a little catchy and innocuous enough little ditty tho.

The music underlying some of the SIP tracks is okay. Melcher was capable of writing a catchy melody/chord change.

The problem is the dippy lyrics and *awful* production. Thin, shrill, and synthetic.

And some of the actual songs are still awful as well. There's one, I think "Island Fever" (which, again, actually has a slightly catchy chorus), which has an intro that's ripped off straight from "Kokomo", as in I think some casual listeners/fans would think as the song begins that they're about to hear "Kokomo."

There are 3 or 4 songs on the album that would be even better with an aggressive remix (essentially taking the group vocals and re-recording almost everything else).

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 05, 2018, 07:57:31 AM »

Re "Surf City": Since they're playing songs where the BBs have guest lead singers, why not add some of the songs by other artists where the BBs or a BB have prominent guest vocals -- say "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me, "Wishing You Were Here," "Good Music," and "Adios" for example.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: June 05, 2018, 09:19:53 AM »

Re "Surf City": Since they're playing songs where the BBs have guest lead singers, why not add some of the songs by other artists where the BBs or a BB have prominent guest vocals -- say "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me, "Wishing You Were Here," "Good Music," and "Adios" for example.

Or some BW productions -- "Guess I'm Dumb," Spring album stuff, etc?
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: June 05, 2018, 09:49:20 AM »

Also heard Southern California from TLOS

Finally! I'm still waiting to hear anything from TLOS.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #347 on: June 05, 2018, 10:15:30 AM »

The songs I seem to get everytime I tune in is "I Can Hear Music" and "Spirit Of America".
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 10:21:03 AM by BeachBoysCovers » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #348 on: June 05, 2018, 12:34:28 PM »

The songs I seem to get everytime I tune in is "I Can Hear Music" and "Spirit Of America".

I get Girls on the beach and Mike’s auto tuned Kiss Me Baby

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: June 05, 2018, 01:16:04 PM »

Good news - heard All This is That.
Bad news - they pretty much cut out the ending

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 28 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx