gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:37:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Channel on Sirius XM  (Read 146605 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #275 on: May 31, 2018, 05:21:57 PM »

To be nice they’re playing Girls on the Beach a bit too much for my tastes. I think the randomizer isn’t quite as random as it needs to be right now

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 31, 2018, 05:25:40 PM »

I've heard a bunch of Dennis' solo works, although curiously not River Song.

Everyone seems to have his/her list of most heard songs.
Over the past week the songs I've heard most are 409, Ballad of Old Betsy, Wendy, You Still Believe in Me, Marcella, plus several versions of Heroes and Villains.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 31, 2018, 05:41:44 PM »

I forgot how good "what more can I
say?" Is

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
AKA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 31, 2018, 06:23:11 PM »

They seem to pull "Rock and Roll Music" and "It's OK" often from "GH Vol. 3: Best of the Brother Years", yet not a lot else.
Those are unique single mixes, which is interesting because they tend to favor of late the album versions for compilations.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #279 on: May 31, 2018, 06:36:28 PM »

They seem to pull "Rock and Roll Music" and "It's OK" often from "GH Vol. 3: Best of the Brother Years", yet not a lot else.
Those are unique single mixes, which is interesting because they tend to favor of late the album versions for compilations.

They are unique mixes (well, "It's OK" is the same mix just sped up), but they also pull other album songs from both albums and comps. But it's not impossible they've vetted GH Vol. 3 to just pull the unique single mixes.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 31, 2018, 07:29:33 PM »

They are unique mixes (well, "It's OK" is the same mix just sped up), but they also pull other album songs from both albums and comps. But it's not impossible they've vetted GH Vol. 3 to just pull the unique single mixes.

They’ve also been playing the version of “California Saga” from that compilation with more prominent Brian vocals.

tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 31, 2018, 07:36:45 PM »

I've heard the entire KTSA album except for Oh Darlin and Some of Your Love.  Goin On at least 7 times.  Heard a lot of '85 too. I seem to catch a lot of Dance Dance Dance and Please Let Me Wonder.  Cal. Girls was the last big hit I had yet to catch, got it this afternoon.

I haven't heard the BB California Saga but have heard Al's several times.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #282 on: May 31, 2018, 09:29:25 PM »

Drove to the beach today listening to this station and that was really cool . Houston traffic wasn’t quite so annoying today

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 01, 2018, 03:39:39 AM »

Haven't heard Carl's solo what more can I say but that is a great tune as someone else has noted. Probably one of his best solo efforts....a real rock and roll song
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #284 on: June 01, 2018, 06:44:17 AM »

I've seen/heard stuff from both of Carl's 80s albums as well as the Beckley-Lamm-Wilson album. Dennis's POB and Bambu have been on rotation. Al's "Postcards" and "Live in Las Vegas." Mike's "Unleash the Love." Some "Bruce & Terry" stuff. I think someone said they're tracking something of David Marks's as well. And of course most of Brian's stuff.

In terms of *albums*, I think it's possibly Brian's "Lucky Old Sun" and the Disney album that are the only ones that haven't been heard, outside of stuff that isn't on CD or available digitally (some of Mike's other stuff).

Presumably, there's nothing stopping radio stations from tracking old vinyl, right? Would be fun to see SiriusXM grab a transfer and air some "Looking Back with Love" and "Celebration" stuff. If nothing else, "Almost Summer" seems like a no-brainer for the channel's theme.

I think one track from Mike's LBWL ("On and On and On") was on some Abba tribute album on CD, right?

Anybody heard any other "tribute album" tracks? The BBs "Crocodile Rock", Mike's "Hungry Heart", Al's "Papa Loved Mama", Brian's "Wanderlust", "Goodnight Irene", "This Could Be the Night", etc.?

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #285 on: June 01, 2018, 06:50:16 AM »

Has anyone seen them play anything *other* than "Disney Girls" from Bruce's "Going Public" album? Weird that they're tracking "Bruce & Terry" stuff, but the only thing they seem to be pulling from "Going Public" is the one song already represented on several BB albums.

The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 01, 2018, 07:58:11 AM »

Has anyone seen them play anything *other* than "Disney Girls" from Bruce's "Going Public" album? Weird that they're tracking "Bruce & Terry" stuff, but the only thing they seem to be pulling from "Going Public" is the one song already represented on several BB albums.

I heard Rendezvous a few days ago.  I was also surprised to heat PT Cruiser the other day, but I know Billy said they also played the 2006 version of Spirit of Rock n Roll.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #287 on: June 01, 2018, 08:14:43 AM »

I heard Rendezvous a few days ago.  I was also surprised to heat PT Cruiser the other day, but I know Billy said they also played the 2006 version of Spirit of Rock n Roll.

Yeah, I would guess "PT Cruiser" is pulled from the "Songs from Here & Back" Hallmark CD as "Spirit..." was.

I haven't seen them play any of the solo, weird CD singles like the "PT Cruiser" single with five different mixes, or Brian's "Walking Down the Path of Life", etc., stuff that was only sold online essentially via mail order.

The general rule seems to be they're playing all of the stuff that has been commercially released in-store on CD. The only exception I've seen so far is "Problem Child", which was released commercially back in 1990, but only on cassette (and possibly vinyl?), but on CD only as a promotional release.

It'll be interesting to see if they snag any other weird CD single tracks or other single variations. Anybody down for the "Percadella" mix of "Rock and Roll to the Rescue?"  LOL

Didn't someone say they played the Spanish version of "Kokomo?" I think that comes from a CD single of some sort.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 08:15:39 AM by HeyJude » Logged

The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 01, 2018, 08:42:44 AM »

I heard Rendezvous a few days ago.  I was also surprised to heat PT Cruiser the other day, but I know Billy said they also played the 2006 version of Spirit of Rock n Roll.

Yeah, I would guess "PT Cruiser" is pulled from the "Songs from Here & Back" Hallmark CD as "Spirit..." was.

I haven't seen them play any of the solo, weird CD singles like the "PT Cruiser" single with five different mixes, or Brian's "Walking Down the Path of Life", etc., stuff that was only sold online essentially via mail order.

The general rule seems to be they're playing all of the stuff that has been commercially released in-store on CD. The only exception I've seen so far is "Problem Child", which was released commercially back in 1990, but only on cassette (and possibly vinyl?), but on CD only as a promotional release.

It'll be interesting to see if they snag any other weird CD single tracks or other single variations. Anybody down for the "Percadella" mix of "Rock and Roll to the Rescue?"  LOL

Didn't someone say they played the Spanish version of "Kokomo?" I think that comes from a CD single of some sort.

I had never heard the "Percadella" mix, and after listening for the first time, I think it'll be the last time too.  LOL

While I haven't been able to listen 24/7, my impression is that they've been playing a ton of material from 61-63, relative to how popular it is anyway.  As has been mentioned before, I've heard the UTL version of Kiss Me Baby at least 10 times.  On the other hand, I still haven't heard anything from Still Cruisin', though I've read that Somewhere Near Japan, In My Car, and Wipeout have been played at least once.  I'm going to be pretty free this weekend, so I'll try to keep track of what songs are played to see if any trends emerge.

Edit:  Just after I hit post, Rock and Roll to the Rescue came on!  Thankfully it wasn't the Percadella mix.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 08:44:39 AM by The Cincinnati Kid » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #289 on: June 01, 2018, 08:52:53 AM »

I'm definitely seeing a lot of stuff from the "Surfin' Safari" and "Surfer Girl" album. They have been playing quite a bit not only the obvious early era stuff like "Surfer Girl" (which I've heard easily over a dozen times), but also stuff like "The Surfer Moon."

They've played "Kokomo" from the "Still Cruisin'" album as well.

I could be totally wrong since there's no scientific way to analyze this stuff without the full playlists, but it seems like they're continually sort of unveiling additional cuts, or at least moving some heavy rotation songs to lighter rotation and vice versa. After "Kiss Me Baby" from UTL a million times, I saw "Crescent Moon" today or yesterday. I was seeing a weirdly large amount of stuff from "Rarities" up until a few days ago (including numerous awful medleys), but not so much now.

I think it may be that solo cover versions of BB songs are being bumped ahead of "original" songs. Of Brian's solo tracks, I've seen a lot of BB covers (IJWMFTT soundtrack, 2014 Soundstage, Live at the Roxy tracks, PS Live, and now a bit more 2004 Smile perhaps) and less original stuff. But it may just be all about proportion. More than half of the only available Mike Love solo tracks (since they're apparently only pulling from UTL) are BB covers. Brian, by virtue of having so many albums, has a number of BB covers.

As another aside, by way of looking at what does an doesn't have artwork, I'm trying to narrow what albums they're pulling from. When they pull "California Dreamin'" from "Made in USA", it has cover art. "Best of the Brother Years" also has cover art. So I've also seen them play the song with no cover art. What comps are left that have that song *and* don't have cover art? I'm guessing they're pulling from the "Warmth of the Sun" CD perhaps.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 08:56:00 AM by HeyJude » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #290 on: June 01, 2018, 08:55:16 AM »

Another random one: The only two songs I've caught, and I've caught them both *numerous* times, from 20/20 are "I Can Hear Music" and weirdly "Be With Me."

The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 01, 2018, 09:04:06 AM »

I'm definitely seeing a lot of stuff from the "Surfin' Safari" and "Surfer Girl" album. They have been playing quite a bit not only the obvious early era stuff like "Surfer Girl" (which I've heard easily over a dozen times), but also stuff like "The Surfer Moon."

They've played "Kokomo" from the "Still Cruisin'" album as well.

I could be totally wrong since there's no scientific way to analyze this stuff without the full playlists, but it seems like they're continually sort of unveiling additional cuts, or at least moving some heavy rotation songs to lighter rotation and vice versa. After "Kiss Me Baby" from UTL a million times, I saw "Crescent Moon" today or yesterday. I was seeing a weirdly large amount of stuff from "Rarities" up until a few days ago (including numerous awful medleys), but not so much now.

I think it may be that solo cover versions of BB songs are being bumped ahead of "original" songs. Of Brian's solo tracks, I've seen a lot of BB covers (IJWMFTT soundtrack, 2014 Soundstage, Live at the Roxy tracks, PS Live, and now a bit more 2004 Smile perhaps) and less original stuff. But it may just be all about proportion. More than half of the only available Mike Love solo tracks (since they're apparently only pulling from UTL) are BB covers. Brian, by virtue of having so many albums, has a number of BB covers.

As another aside, by way of looking at what does an doesn't have artwork, I'm trying to narrow what albums they're pulling from. When they pull "California Dreamin'" from "Made in USA", it has cover art. "Best of the Brother Years" also has cover art. So I've also seen them play the song with no cover art. What comps are left that have that song *and* don't have cover art? I'm guessing they're pulling from the "Warmth of the Sun" CD perhaps.

Yes, I did forget to mention Kokomo, but I don't really count that.  I'd also agree that I've been hearing a lot of solo covers of BB songs, rather than the original. 

Is it possible you heard the 1982 version of California Dreamin'?  I could have sworn I heard it once, but I wasn't really paying attention.  It would also be interesting to know which album version they're pulling songs from.  Breakaway was on and the album shown was 20/20, so it must have been from the twofer version.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 01, 2018, 09:11:06 AM »

I’ve Heard Island Girl, In My Car, Wipeout, Somewhere Near Japan and of course Kokomo from Still Cruisin’. No title track or Make it Big thus far.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #293 on: June 01, 2018, 09:12:56 AM »

I would highly doubt they're playing the '82/'83 version of CD. It was cassette only and a Radio Shack exclusive 35 years ago.

What is weird is that more recent comps with CD, starting with "Warmth of the Sun" in 2007, have used a weird variation of the song that starts with storm sound effects (presumably from 1982) but then immediately fades into the '86 mix with the 12-string guitar. I think both "WOTS" and MIC from 2013 use that version. I'm guessing you maybe heard the track from WOTS.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #294 on: June 01, 2018, 09:15:13 AM »

I’ve Heard Island Girl, In My Car, Wipeout, Somewhere Near Japan and of course Kokomo from Still Cruisin’. No title track or Make it Big thus far.

I'm *pretty* sure I heard Make It Big a few days ago.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #295 on: June 01, 2018, 09:30:19 AM »

Anybody heard/seen anything from "Stack-o-Tracks" so far?  LOL

Another random note: The only track I've seen from the "Knebworth 1980" CD is "You Are So Beautiful", and I've seemingly seen it about 3 or 4 times already.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 09:31:33 AM by HeyJude » Logged

MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 01, 2018, 09:44:35 AM »

I believe I've heard them play Keepin' the Summer Alive from Knebworth, unless I am misremembering and there is a different 1980 live album it could be from. Sounded great!

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #297 on: June 01, 2018, 10:05:23 AM »

Man, they play "Marcella" a loooottttt.....

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 01, 2018, 10:08:31 AM »

I heard Carl singing "Wild Honey" live from Sunshine Tomorrow and Today's "Kiss Me Baby" (finally!) this morning.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 01, 2018, 11:27:10 AM »

Anybody heard/seen anything from "Stack-o-Tracks" so far?  LOL

Another random note: The only track I've seen from the "Knebworth 1980" CD is "You Are So Beautiful", and I've seemingly seen it about 3 or 4 times already.

They also played "Cottonfields / Heroes & Villains" quite a few times

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 28 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx