gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:31:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Channel on Sirius XM  (Read 146787 times)
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 29, 2018, 06:23:51 PM »

A Day in the Life of a Tree, followed by, what else?
 That Kiss Me Baby fiasco ... Again!!
Only good thing about that song is that I don't feel bad turning it off for a bit to get some things done

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 29, 2018, 07:07:39 PM »

Yes, it's hard to tell if an apparent trend is an actual trend unless one listens all day, every day.

Other thoughts:

I would presume the other copyright extension sets (Sacramento '64, Chicago '65, Live Sunshine) have been played, though I haven't personally seen it. I've also seen "Songs from Here & Back." Also, "Surfin'" (the Varese compilation) and the DCC "Lost and Found" (but not the more recent "Becoming the Beach Boys").

No "Sounds of Summer" or "Warmth of the Sun", or "Endless Summer" or "Spirit of America", no "Made in USA" so far (that's the one place they'd get "Rock and Roll to the Rescue"), though they're playing "Problem Child" from some source (promo CD single?). I don't think I've seen anything from "Hawthorne, CA" so far. No old "Best of the Beach Boys" volumes, and no "Ten Years of Harmony." Also no "Stack-o-Tracks" that I've seen. No "Classics Selected by Brian Wilson."

I've seen Live in Sacramento (I forget what song), and I heard San Miguel for the first time today, so Ten Years of Harmony is in there.
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 29, 2018, 08:10:49 PM »

I don't think I've seen anything from "Hawthorne, CA" so far.

They played "Shut Down (live)" from Hawthorne today.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: May 29, 2018, 08:56:17 PM »

Yes, it's hard to tell if an apparent trend is an actual trend unless one listens all day, every day.

Other thoughts:

I would presume the other copyright extension sets (Sacramento '64, Chicago '65, Live Sunshine) have been played, though I haven't personally seen it. I've also seen "Songs from Here & Back." Also, "Surfin'" (the Varese compilation) and the DCC "Lost and Found" (but not the more recent "Becoming the Beach Boys").

No "Sounds of Summer" or "Warmth of the Sun", or "Endless Summer" or "Spirit of America", no "Made in USA" so far (that's the one place they'd get "Rock and Roll to the Rescue"), though they're playing "Problem Child" from some source (promo CD single?). I don't think I've seen anything from "Hawthorne, CA" so far. No old "Best of the Beach Boys" volumes, and no "Ten Years of Harmony." Also no "Stack-o-Tracks" that I've seen. No "Classics Selected by Brian Wilson."

I've seen Live in Sacramento (I forget what song), and I heard San Miguel for the first time today, so Ten Years of Harmony is in there.

"San Miguel" is also on the 1993 GV boxed set, so I'm curious if it was pulled from there. They played "4th of July" off the GV set today.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 29, 2018, 09:00:04 PM »

May 29, 2018 - 11pm-12am EDT

When I Grow Up (To Be a Man)
Barbie
Caroline, No
Maybe I Don't Know
Sail On Sailor
Wild Honey
Good Vibrations (Live from Knebworth)
Sail Plane Song (Endless Harmony)
A Friend Like You - Brian and Paul McCartney
Catch a Wave
Wonderful (Smiley Smile)
Surfin' Safari (ARIOLA version)
It's OK (single mix)
California Girls
Winds of Change
Goin' On
Cherry Cherry Coupe
Strange Things Happen
Kokomo (Spanish version)
Surfer Girl
Your Summer Dream
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: May 29, 2018, 09:02:13 PM »

Haven't heard anything off Beach Boys live from 72/73, and haven't heard Where I Belong off Beach Boys 85 yet

They're playing "In Concert" stuff actually flagged with the city and year:

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 29, 2018, 09:35:20 PM »

Okay, now they’re playing “Lullabye” from OCA — likely the oddest objective choice thus far. A 10-minute orchestral track with no involvement from any band member. But it does sound great!
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 29, 2018, 11:26:17 PM »

With each of the five songs I've heard so far from Sunflower, for some strange reason the title "Sunflower" has been removed from the album cover graphic.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: May 30, 2018, 12:49:01 AM »

With each of the five songs I've heard so far from Sunflower, for some strange reason the title "Sunflower" has been removed from the album cover graphic.

That's how the cover art is for the download version on Amazon as well. Not sure why the art is altered, but it appears it's not the doing of SiriusXM.

TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 30, 2018, 05:09:55 AM »

On my way to work I got...

That's Why God Made The Radio --> She's Going Bald --> Fun Fun Fun

Smiley
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: May 30, 2018, 05:40:56 AM »

Cool
Haven't heard anything off Beach Boys live from 72/73, and haven't heard Where I Belong off Beach Boys 85 yet

Where I Belong is playing right now

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: May 30, 2018, 06:39:40 AM »

Another song I've heard a seemingly disproportionately large number of times is "Cool Cool Water", and I've heard both the album mix and the 45 edit, the latter presumably taken either from the 2007 "Warmth of the Sun" comp or the 1981 "Ten Years of Harmony" comp.

MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 30, 2018, 07:34:47 AM »

I love this station! It's hitting the sweet spot for me, as at this point I know two dozen or so albums between BBs and solo releases, but there's still lots that is new to me sprinkled in. About every fifth track is one I'm unfamiliar with or only vaguely familiar with. And even the ones I know sound fresh since they are stripped of their album context.

It's fascinating to hear odd stuff from the 80s/90s/00s/10s sprinkled in with the more obvious stuff. With everything taken together, it literally sounds like a different group (in a *mostly* good way Smiley ) than the one I am used to hearing.

All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 30, 2018, 07:47:03 AM »

Other thoughts:

"San Miguel" is also on the 1993 GV boxed set, so I'm curious if it was pulled from there. They played "4th of July" off the GV set today.

I was driving, so I wouldn't know, Hey Jude.  It's really just a guess.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 30, 2018, 08:42:16 AM »

YAY to Where I Belong! The song I've seen to have heard the most is the original Surfer Girl. Would love to hear the live and Unplugged versions; that would be cool. Love's solo stuff playing right now; he sounds terrible, as is the song, I don't Want To Know.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 30, 2018, 08:56:28 AM »

And I just heard what I think is one of the better songs on Summer in Paradise....One Summer Night. Always thought Al's partial lead was great on this one.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 30, 2018, 09:04:20 AM »

YAY to Where I Belong! The song I've seen to have heard the most is the original Surfer Girl. Would love to hear the live and Unplugged versions; that would be cool. Love's solo stuff playing right now; he sounds terrible, as is the song, I don't Want To Know.

I've heard Surfer Girl from the C50 live album. I don't think I've heard an earlier live version yet.

Edit: Just heard from Brian's Live at the Roxy Theatre album.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 04:47:02 PM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 30, 2018, 09:55:36 AM »

It might be interesting to keep track of what songs get requested by listeners. So far, I remember hearing requests for 409, Surfer Girl, Fun Fun Fun, and I Can Hear Music.

Edit to add: Surfin', Surfin' USA, In My Room, Barbara Ann, Wild Honey, I'd Love Just Once To See You, Student Demonstration Time, Peggy Sue, Kokomo, That's Why God Made The Radio.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 08:47:20 AM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 30, 2018, 10:00:36 AM »

It might be interesting to keep track of what songs get requested by listeners. So far, I remember hearing requests for 409, Surfer Girl (twice, I believe), Fun Fun Fun, and I Can Hear Music.

I remember I'd Love Just Once to See You being requested.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: May 30, 2018, 10:28:13 AM »

I've heard one if not several requests for "Barbara Ann." I think the requests are going to obviously skew a bit more towards the familiar hits.

Someone totally *should* phone in a request for "Looking Back with Love" or "Almost Summer" and see what happens.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: May 30, 2018, 10:48:21 AM »

Problem Child actually isn’t too bad apart from the production!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 30, 2018, 11:50:48 AM »

I called in and requested "You're Still a Mystery."  Grin

We'll see if they do it.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 30, 2018, 12:08:37 PM »

Problem Child actually isn’t too bad apart from the production!

I think if they remixed it and removed the “Nyah Nyah Nyah Nyah Nyah”, it would be pretty decent.

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 30, 2018, 12:23:29 PM »

"Wild Honey" got a phone-in request today (and it wasn't even from me).  Cool

Let's call in for the BB's version of "Kiss Me Baby"!

Now playing: "Long Promised Road" -- sweet! And two tracks ago was the demo version of "Breakaway."
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 12:24:20 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 30, 2018, 12:28:04 PM »

Was jarring to hear All I Want to Do. Didn't hear anything at the end thank goodness...

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 28 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx