gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:26:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Channel on Sirius XM  (Read 146647 times)
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 29, 2018, 10:16:01 AM »

There have been a few snippets featuring Brian.
In one, an interviewer asked him how he created music, if he heard it all in his head first. He said no, he did all composition creating on the keyboard.
He added that he couldn't think it all beforehand in his head because... He "wasn't that good."  Shocked

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 29, 2018, 10:17:08 AM »

Any interviews with Brian?

I heard him talk about "Rhapsody in Blue" leading into the opening of the Gershwin album.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: May 29, 2018, 10:19:51 AM »

I'm digging that folks here are getting that the whole purpose of the channel is to be inclusive of everything. I've seen some comments on FB and other boards where people are getting kind of cranky and suggesting this song or that song or this era or that era should be ignored. But then what's the point? To say nothing of slippery slope of deciding what's off limits. I guarantee the second they ignore whatever album or song, someone will complain and say it's one of their favorites.

I've seen the channel spinning stuff that isn't what I'm super into. Most of SIP. "Unleash the Love" material, etc. But it's great that nothing is off limits apparently, in terms of what has been released on CD I suppose. I have no problem thinking or saying "P-U" for a given song and then moving on to see what's next.

Still no reports of non-CD material like "Looking Back with Love", the "Celebration" albums, etc.

Anyone heard random soundtrack or tribute albums tracks that *are* (or at least *were*) on CD, like "Crocodile Rock" or "Chasin' the Sky" or "Wanderlust?"
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 10:24:24 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: May 29, 2018, 10:22:55 AM »

The interviews are hit-and-miss, but they're brief so I don't have a beef with them. Some of them seem to lack any context. One Bruce interview went something like this: "Brian's an awesome dude, he's so talented...... We're still out there touring today!", which had no relation to the song before or after it, and seemed to be edited from two different answers, as one sentence had nothing to do with the other.

Would be fun to get some of the BBs to spin an hour or two worth of their own personal picks, or at least have them compile a tracklisting and record an intro or something. I don't know how esoteric the track listings would get, but it could be fun, especially if they encouraged the guys to go past the hits compilations.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: May 29, 2018, 10:28:51 AM »

Interesting that some live stuff is not marked as such (e.g. "Long Promised Road" live from '72 from the EH Soundtrack), while others have more track notations than the CD themselves. I just caught recently "Let the Wind Blow" from the "In Concert" album and it was marked "72 Passaic."

Still appears they have no cover artwork for 15BO, Love You, Al's "Live in Las Vegas", or the second disc of Dennis' POB/Bambu set, and probably a few others.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 10:29:34 AM by HeyJude » Logged

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: May 29, 2018, 11:00:26 AM »

... The depth and breadth of the choices has been a real surprise to me so far. I wonder how casual fans think when they dial into the channel expecting Fun Fun Fun and they're met with a gospel song to the Maharishi instead?

I haven't listened quite as much as many of the participants of this thread, but I've listened (and read) enough to wonder if they might be scaring listeners away. Don't get me wrong, I think this channel is incredible, but I'm also hoping it's successful. I hope it brings in new fans and converts casual fans to hardcore fans. I also hope the channel survives beyond this summer - perhaps it could return every summer (or stick around all-year). Again, my observations may be a bit off due to my limited listening, but I'd say the two albums I've heard the most of are Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!!) and Unleash The Love. Granted, UTL is a double album but as others have pointed out, there should at least be a preference for the classic records over solo remakes (e.g. Kiss Me Baby). To me, the channel seems more like an ultimate shuffle playlist with every CD/digital release in play (equally) than a carefully selected program that highlights their best material from all eras. Again, I may be wrong, which is fine, but I've heard a disproportionate amount of UTL and there have been certain songs I've heard 4 or 5 times before hearing some of their '60s hit songs once (e.g. Breakaway (I love it, but damn!), Surf's Up, Rock And Roll Music). As I'm typing, the UTL version of Kiss Me Baby is on again! My god! I've heard it at least 5 to 1 over the original. As a diehard fan I think it's really cool to hear so many deep cuts, demos, and obscure alternate and live versions of songs just about on equal footing with the rest of the catalogue, but is that really ideal? Even diehards are gonna be turned off by some of it.

Has anyone else been thinking about this?

Edit: HeyJude kind of beat me to it. I agree that nothing should be ignored (as another UTL song plays Huh ), but I do think there could be a stronger preference for certain material over others.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 11:06:26 AM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 29, 2018, 11:31:05 AM »

... The depth and breadth of the choices has been a real surprise to me so far. I wonder how casual fans think when they dial into the channel expecting Fun Fun Fun and they're met with a gospel song to the Maharishi instead?

I haven't listened quite as much as many of the participants of this thread, but I've listened (and read) enough to wonder if they might be scaring listeners away. Don't get me wrong, I think this channel is incredible, but I'm also hoping it's successful. I hope it brings in new fans and converts casual fans to hardcore fans. I also hope the channel survives beyond this summer - perhaps it could return every summer (or stick around all-year). Again, my observations may be a bit off due to my limited listening, but I'd say the two albums I've heard the most of are Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!!) and Unleash The Love. Granted, UTL is a double album but as others have pointed out, there should at least be a preference for the classic records over solo remakes (e.g. Kiss Me Baby). To me, the channel seems more like an ultimate shuffle playlist with every CD/digital release in play (equally) than a carefully selected program that highlights their best material from all eras. Again, I may be wrong, which is fine, but I've heard a disproportionate amount of UTL and there have been certain songs I've heard 4 or 5 times before hearing some of their '60s hit songs once (e.g. Breakaway (I love it, but damn!), Surf's Up, Rock And Roll Music). As I'm typing, the UTL version of Kiss Me Baby is on again! My god! I've heard it at least 5 to 1 over the original. As a diehard fan I think it's really cool to hear so many deep cuts, demos, and obscure alternate and live versions of songs just about on equal footing with the rest of the catalogue, but is that really ideal? Even diehards are gonna be turned off by some of it.

Has anyone else been thinking about this?

Edit: HeyJude kind of beat me to it. I agree that nothing should be ignored (as another UTL song plays Huh ), but I do think there could be a stronger preference for certain material over others.

Like they could add a weight to certain songs so they are played more often than others.  And things like SIP, UTL, GIOMH would have much lower weights.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 29, 2018, 11:34:14 AM »

However the track selection works, Sirius is most definitely not treating all songs equally. The easiest way to tell is simply the ratio to solo material to group recordings. If you include every single track from the solo careers of Brian, Carl, Dennis, Al, Mike, Bruce and Dave (and solo songs from all of them have appeared thus far on the channel), you might just match the BB group output. Okay, it might be like 60-40.

There most definitely isn't such a ratio on the channel, though. There's about a 10-1 preference in favor of BB tunes. In the 80 songs I listed from yesterday afternoon, they played eight solo tracks.

I think there's a bit of preference for recent solo material -- NPP and the 2016 live BW disc have been played frequently, as has Unleash the love.

Overall though, the channel leans (as it probably should) on the core '60s group material. I've noticed Dance, Dance, Dance being played a lot, along with Help Me, Rhonda (although not the Today version thus far). Frequent appearances of Do It Again. Very little from Smile, although part of me suspects there might be some special Smile programming at later this summer.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 01:23:20 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 29, 2018, 11:37:56 AM »

Also important to note that tracks simply do not repeat that frequently. Over a four-hour period yesterday, they repeated exactly one song ("Surfin'"). There were two appearance of "Friends," one of them live. Although it's a boringly obvious point, I expect it mostly depends on when you listen.

(I've also wondered if the mix is different throughout the day -- I've noticed that more obscure tracks seem to pop up in the evening and overnight.)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: May 29, 2018, 12:11:43 PM »

Yes, it's hard to tell if an apparent trend is an actual trend unless one listens all day, every day.

Based on the times I've peaked in, some of the "trends" I've seen include:

-Almost every time I see the commercial '67 version of H&V, it's pulled from the '93 GV boxed set instead of "Smiley Smile" or anything else.

-Other hits found on numerous comps like "Catch a Wave", "Surfer Girl, "WIBN", etc. always seem to be pulled from the original album, not comps.

-I see a lot from the "Surfin' Safari" and "Surfer Girl" albums for some reason

-Also seems to be a lot of "SIP" in comparison to some other 70s/80s albums

-"Help Me Rhonda" seems to pop up a lot (and always from "Summer Days" rather than a comp)

-Seem to catch "Add Some Music To Your Day, "Marcella", "Deirdre", and "Disney Girls" a disproportionately large number of times

-As Wirestone mentioned, they definitely seem to portioning out solo material sparingly so it doesn't overtake group material.

-Of the solo material, I've a heard a lot of "Unleash the Love" and "A Postcard from California", though often the same core songs ("Kiss Me Baby", "California Saga", etc.)

-I'm seeing *a lot* of tracks played from "Rarities" for some strange reason, often tracks subsequently released on other comps in better quality

Other thoughts:

I've heard or heard of pretty much every "proper" studio BB album being represented. Also looks like all the solo stuff that's ever made it out on CD has also been played. But which compilations have been seen?

I've seen the '93 GV boxed set, the 2013 "Made in California" set, both volumes of "Sunshine Tomorrow", "Endless Harmony Soundtrack, "Greatest Hits Vol. 3" (but not Vol. 1 or 2), "Keep an Eye on Summer", "Big Beat '63, "Party Uncovered and Unplugged", Michigan '66. I would presume the other copyright extension sets (Sacramento '64, Chicago '65, Live Sunshine) have been played, though I haven't personally seen it. I've also seen "Songs from Here & Back." Also, "Surfin'" (the Varese compilation) and the DCC "Lost and Found" (but not the more recent "Becoming the Beach Boys").

No "Sounds of Summer" or "Warmth of the Sun", or "Endless Summer" or "Spirit of America", no "Made in USA" so far (that's the one place they'd get "Rock and Roll to the Rescue"), though they're playing "Problem Child" from some source (promo CD single?). I don't think I've seen anything from "Hawthorne, CA" so far. No old "Best of the Beach Boys" volumes, and no "Ten Years of Harmony." Also no "Stack-o-Tracks" that I've seen. No "Classics Selected by Brian Wilson."

I can't tell if they've only pulled stuff from the 2-CD "Smile" 2011 set, or the full "Sessions" set.

I've seen a lot of PS stuff, but I don't think the PS Sessions set.

Normally, I'd say it would make sense to set aside most comps, as they would just duplicate stuff on the albums. Or, at least eliminate the non-archival material from comps. But again, they keep playing "Good Vibrations" and "Heroes and Villains" from the GV '93 set.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 12:13:54 PM by HeyJude » Logged

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 29, 2018, 12:20:32 PM »

Quick note: I heard 'Rock and Roll to the Rescue' from Made in USA.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: May 29, 2018, 12:50:10 PM »

Quick note: I heard 'Rock and Roll to the Rescue' from Made in USA.

Interesting. Cool. Not my favorite, but good (and interesting) to see it's part of the catalog.

Still curious if they'll pull out "Happy Endings" or "Chasin' the Sky", etc.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: May 29, 2018, 01:08:13 PM »

Yes, it's hard to tell if an apparent trend is an actual trend unless one listens all day, every day.

Based on the times I've peaked in, some of the "trends" I've seen include:

-Almost every time I see the commercial '67 version of H&V, it's pulled from the '93 GV boxed set instead of "Smiley Smile" or anything else.

-Other hits found on numerous comps like "Catch a Wave", "Surfer Girl, "WIBN", etc. always seem to be pulled from the original album, not comps.

-I see a lot from the "Surfin' Safari" and "Surfer Girl" albums for some reason

-"Help Me Rhonda" seems to pop up a lot (and always from "Summer Days" rather than a comp)

-Seem to catch "Add Some Music To Your Day, "Marcella", "Deirdre", and "Disney Girls" a disproportionately large number of times

-As Wirestone mentioned, they definitely seem to portioning out solo material sparingly so it doesn't overtake group material.

-Of the solo material, I've a heard a lot of "Unleash the Love" and "A Postcard from California", though often the same core songs ("Kiss Me Baby", "California Saga", etc.)

-I'm seeing *a lot* of tracks played from "Rarities" for some strange reason, often tracks subsequently released on other comps in better quality

Other thoughts:

I've heard or heard of pretty much every "proper" studio BB album being represented. Also looks like all the solo stuff that's ever made it out on CD has also been played. But which compilations have been seen?

I've seen the '93 GV boxed set, the 2013 "Made in California" set, both volumes of "Sunshine Tomorrow", "Endless Harmony Soundtrack, "Greatest Hits Vol. 3" (but not Vol. 1 or 2), "Keep an Eye on Summer", "Big Beat '63, "Party Uncovered and Unplugged", Michigan '66. I would presume the other copyright extension sets (Sacramento '64, Chicago '65, Live Sunshine) have been played, though I haven't personally seen it. I've also seen "Songs from Here & Back." Also, "Surfin'" (the Varese compilation) and the DCC "Lost and Found" (but not the more recent "Becoming the Beach Boys").

No "Sounds of Summer" or "Warmth of the Sun", or "Endless Summer" or "Spirit of America", no "Made in USA" so far (that's the one place they'd get "Rock and Roll to the Rescue"), though they're playing "Problem Child" from some source (promo CD single?). I don't think I've seen anything from "Hawthorne, CA" so far. No old "Best of the Beach Boys" volumes, and no "Ten Years of Harmony." Also no "Stack-o-Tracks" that I've seen. No "Classics Selected by Brian Wilson."

I can't tell if they've only pulled stuff from the 2-CD "Smile" 2011 set, or the full "Sessions" set.

I've seen a lot of PS stuff, but I don't think the PS Sessions set.

Normally, I'd say it would make sense to set aside most comps, as they would just duplicate stuff on the albums. Or, at least eliminate the non-archival material from comps. But again, they keep playing "Good Vibrations" and "Heroes and Villains" from the GV '93 set.

Playing Spirit of Rock and Roll from 2006 was unexpected...but was not the best version of the song at all.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 29, 2018, 01:27:51 PM »

I don't think we've heard anything from "That Lucky Old Sun" or "Key of Disney" yet. Sounds like they dipped into "Reimagines Gershwin" yesterday,
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 29, 2018, 01:31:05 PM »

I've heard "It's Gettin' Late" and "Passing Friend" twice, along with "California Calling," "Crack at Your Love," "Maybe I Don't Know," and "Matter of Time" from the 1985 album.

And lemme tell you -- "Passing Friend" goes on forever.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 01:31:46 PM by Wirestone » Logged
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 29, 2018, 01:36:16 PM »

Yes they have played tracks off Sacramento '64, Chicago '65, Live Sunshine and Becoming the Beach Boys.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 01:36:58 PM by STE » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: May 29, 2018, 02:38:59 PM »

I've heard "It's Gettin' Late" and "Passing Friend" twice, along with "California Calling," "Crack at Your Love," "Maybe I Don't Know," and "Matter of Time" from the 1985 album.

And lemme tell you -- "Passing Friend" goes on forever.

Yes, they've been doing the '85 album quite a bit as well. I caught "I Do Love You" in the last day or two as well.

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 29, 2018, 02:46:42 PM »

Lord help me, I'm listening to Wipe Out Grin

I don't think we've heard anything from "That Lucky Old Sun" or "Key of Disney" yet. Sounds like they dipped into "Reimagines Gershwin" yesterday,

Agreed. Not hearing anything from That Lucky Old Sun yet is bizarre.

Yes they have played tracks off Sacramento '64, Chicago '65, Live Sunshine and Becoming the Beach Boys.

They recently played 'Run James Run' off Brian's Playback comp.

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 29, 2018, 02:50:47 PM »

Is it safe to say no Christmas music has been played? That might be the only material they excluded.

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 29, 2018, 03:41:48 PM »

Here’s a deep cut.  Never heard of this one before.  Apparently Bruce & Terry doing a Beach Boys rip-off album under the name The Hot Doggers.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 04:40:30 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: May 29, 2018, 04:05:51 PM »

Haven't heard anything off Beach Boys live from 72/73, and haven't heard Where I Belong off Beach Boys 85 yet
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 29, 2018, 04:38:13 PM »

Haven't heard anything off Beach Boys live from 72/73, and haven't heard Where I Belong off Beach Boys 85 yet

I believe I've heard Al singing "You Still Believe in Me" from In Concert.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: May 29, 2018, 05:17:12 PM »

Heard 2 tracks from In Concert earlier today (Let The Wind Blow, Funky Pretty)

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 29, 2018, 05:22:51 PM »

Also heard Caroline, No live recording this morning

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 29, 2018, 05:31:45 PM »

I've heard Caroline No from In Concert.

I think I just got my 4th I Got My Pay which is double the amount of times I listened to it before this weekend.

I got a Royal Phil. Good Vibes yesterday so they are bringing in those.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 28 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx