gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:21:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Channel on Sirius XM  (Read 146758 times)
timelyhello
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 25, 2018, 10:38:24 AM »

A minute ago I heard the strange percussion mix of Bluebirds from the Rarities album. Interesting how they’d choose that mix
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 25, 2018, 11:18:12 AM »

Can anybody tell what's the big deal about hearing songs you can listen anytime you like to? Everybody can pick random BBs songs to create playlist. Which leads to question - in the weird comps thread, some posters didn't like that fact about these comps. Now people say they enjoy this channel? Doesn't make sense.

Rick Moranis before he joined SCTV was an FM rock DJ in Toronto. Years later, he told a story of a listener who called in requesting to hear “Stairway To Heaven”. Rick struck up a conversation with the kid which he described like this.

RM: I’d be willing to bet that you own a copy of Led Zeppelin IV, correct?

Kid: Yes.

RM: Which means you can play Stairway anytime you want.

Kid: Yeah.

RM: So, why do you want me to play it?

Kid: I dunno. I guess I like hearing my favorite song and knowing that other people are hearing it at the same time.

Moranis then realized that listening to music on the radio, even if it’s a record you own, is a communal experience.And one that you can’t get listening to your own records.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 25, 2018, 02:06:00 PM »

Definitely an eclectic mix.  I tuned in to hear Getcha Back, Full Sail, Don’t Worry Baby, Please Let Me Wonder, Winds of Change and now for some reason, Bruce Johnston’s solo re-recording of Disney Girls.  Could have done without that one but it also shows how deep they’re willing to go.  I called and requested Soul Searchin’, hope they play it!

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: May 25, 2018, 02:08:39 PM »

Definitely an eclectic mix.  I tuned in to hear Getcha Back, Full Sail, Don’t Worry Baby, Please Let Me Wonder, Winds of Change and now for some reason, Bruce Johnston’s solo re-recording of Disney Girls.  Could have done without that one but it also shows how deep they’re willing to go.  I called and requested Soul Searchin’, hope they play it!

I know the request line is more about garnering some enthusiasm and participation than truly playing something that wouldn't already be somewhere in the playlist, but "Soul Searchin'" (hopefully the BB version) is a cool request. I've only heard a few requests so far, and they've all been for obvious hits (e.g. "my kids love to hear Barbara Ann").

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: May 25, 2018, 02:26:45 PM »

Definitely an eclectic mix.  I tuned in to hear Getcha Back, Full Sail, Don’t Worry Baby, Please Let Me Wonder, Winds of Change and now for some reason, Bruce Johnston’s solo re-recording of Disney Girls.  Could have done without that one but it also shows how deep they’re willing to go.  I called and requested Soul Searchin’, hope they play it!

I know the request line is more about garnering some enthusiasm and participation than truly playing something that wouldn't already be somewhere in the playlist, but "Soul Searchin'" (hopefully the BB version) is a cool request. I've only heard a few requests so far, and they've all been for obvious hits (e.g. "my kids love to hear Barbara Ann").

I heard "I can hear Music" as a request this morning.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 25, 2018, 02:58:33 PM »

They just did a pretty cool segue with California Girls fading into California Saga.  Cool

EDIT:  And it’s the original single mix of California Saga!!!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 02:59:17 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: May 25, 2018, 03:17:04 PM »

Oh man that's awesome

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 25, 2018, 03:23:41 PM »

Thanks, everybody, nice polite answers. But, I must say it doesn't thrill me as it does the others that this channel will introduce new fans to BBs & that it's "communal experience". Sure, it's good to see BBs getting exposure but it's not the thing I care about plenty like many of you. Just casually. Ultimately, Sirius isn't available here, maybe it would help to get what you exactly mean if I listened to it with my ears. As such, I shall leave you enjoying the channel & its discussion.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 25, 2018, 03:50:19 PM »

And we've cracked the GIOMH seal -- "City Blues" is playing now.

Heard Dennis' "Common" earlier.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 25, 2018, 04:00:11 PM »

Straight into "Beaches in Mind," then "Blueberry Hill," then the single mix of "It's Okay."
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 25, 2018, 04:18:25 PM »

I have to say this is impressive. A great mix of hits to hook casuals and the deep and rare stuff for us.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 25, 2018, 04:20:08 PM »

Thanks, everybody, nice polite answers. But, I must say it doesn't thrill me as it does the others that this channel will introduce new fans to BBs & that it's "communal experience". Sure, it's good to see BBs getting exposure but it's not the thing I care about plenty like many of you. Just casually. Ultimately, Sirius isn't available here, maybe it would help to get what you exactly mean if I listened to it with my ears. As such, I shall leave you enjoying the channel & its discussion.

I actually agree with you 100% or thereabouts. (Except that obviously Sirius is available in my “here.”)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 25, 2018, 04:31:37 PM »

It's fun, it's harmless, and it allows everyone here with satellite radio access (not everyone, but a reasonable group) to share in the songs that we love. It highlights more obscure tracks, solo work, and gives us something positive to chat about, as opposed to the latest group infighting.

In other words, it's all about the music, which is why we're all here to begin with. I'm glad to have the chance to share it with all of you. Thanks.

Edit: And now they're playing "From There to Back Again"!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 04:33:57 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 25, 2018, 05:17:23 PM »

Just heard From there to back again and earlier today a couple of Dennis songs Common and Rainbows. Not to mention Winds of Change. Beach Boys Sirius channel is absolutely tremendous not knowing what's up next. I think the casual beach boy fan who tunes into this channel is going to be amazed at what he or she hears.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: May 25, 2018, 06:05:49 PM »

And we've cracked the GIOMH seal -- "City Blues" is playing now.

Heard Dennis' "Common" earlier.

They played the GIOMH version of "Soul Searchin'" yesterday.

They've also played stuff from the 1995 IJWMFTT soundtrack and the PS Live Brian album.

They tracked stuff from the 1980 Knebworth album as well (YASB).

Also just heard "Where Is She" from MIC.

Interesting that they appear to be missing the artwork for 15BO and Love You for some reason.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 06:08:08 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: May 25, 2018, 06:18:02 PM »

An interesting exercise would be to figure out what albums they *haven't* pulled from yet.

Looking Back With Love? (No CD of the full album)

Caught "Hurry Love" from Carl's first album. Dunno if they've pulled from Youngblood or the Beckley-Lamm album.

Have all of Brian's albums been touched on? Orange Crate Art?

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 25, 2018, 06:25:25 PM »

It's fun, it's harmless, and it allows everyone here with satellite radio access (not everyone, but a reasonable group) to share in the songs that we love. It highlights more obscure tracks, solo work, and gives us something positive to chat about

I agree with that, too.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 25, 2018, 06:37:07 PM »

I haven’t hear anything from OCA, Imagination, BWPS, WIRWFC, TLOS, Gershwin or Disney. Admittedly, the covers records are a bit more of a stretch.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 25, 2018, 08:38:46 PM »

"Like a Brother" playing now. Awesome.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 25, 2018, 08:44:03 PM »

“Island Fever” is my cue to tune out for the night.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 25, 2018, 08:49:01 PM »

"Let Him Run Wild" from Imagination is playing now, so that's another BW solo record down.

We need to get some solo David Marks on here!
Cristian Kiper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 25, 2018, 09:23:38 PM »

Sirius is not available here either, but they broadcast online, you can listen to the station here: https://player.siriusxm.com/live/BeachBoysChannel

No need to sign in or anything.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 26, 2018, 05:18:57 AM »

Solo Carl right now, Bright Lights!
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 26, 2018, 05:37:48 AM »

And Al Jardine Family and Friends live with Adam singing lead on Girl Don't Tell Me! Great channel!!
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 26, 2018, 08:02:18 AM »

Little rough time in the beginning  listening, don't get me wrong, great songs.  I just felt like we lost one more of the boys and this was a day of tribute.  Glad we have more days like this and the smile it continues to bring.  Sounds as great in my new car as it did in my ole' Mustang. Sirius radio sounds are being tested with these vocals.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 28 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx