gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:23:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Channel on Sirius XM  (Read 146669 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2018, 05:14:11 PM »

Can anybody tell what's the big deal about hearing songs you can listen anytime you like to? Everybody can pick random BBs songs to create playlist. Which leads to question - in the weird comps thread, some posters didn't like that fact about these comps. Now people say they enjoy this channel? Doesn't make sense.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2018, 05:23:05 PM »

Yes we can hear all of at least most of these songs on our own.
But as fans, it's the thrill of using this platform to introduce others to this amazing music.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
feelintheflows
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2018, 05:46:22 PM »

Is it me or do some songs sound sped up? Here Today sounds really fast.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2018, 06:39:41 PM »

I noticed that as well.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Lady Lynda
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 24, 2018, 07:26:24 PM »

Great station and great selections being played!   I'm enjoying hearing the mix of music that is being chosen.  Hopefully casual listeners of the Beach Boys will come to appreciate many of the non-mainstream songs that are being played.  Glad SiriusXM finally decided to give us BB fans our own channel, even if it is only for the summer! 
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 24, 2018, 07:39:33 PM »

The songs are definitely a hair faster (which is a bit disconcerting at times), but I agree with what others have said - great mix of songs, a pleasant surprise for sure.  Who would have thought we would ever hear a double-play from Love You, as I just heard, on the radio (satellite or otherwise)?
nybbfan1
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 24, 2018, 07:47:49 PM »

i'm really enjoying this.  So it sounds like they are sticking with mono mixes when there is a choice?
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 24, 2018, 07:50:22 PM »

Steamboat to Surfin ( 92) was a little bit surreal earlier this evening.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 24, 2018, 07:57:01 PM »

Heroes and Villains straight into The Private Life of Bill and Sue!

... Then to Wendy and the alternate Rhonda with falsetto.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 07:59:45 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2018, 08:03:00 PM »

And now "Be Here In The Morning" - excellent.
Michael Edwards Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 24, 2018, 08:30:11 PM »

My ears tell me that some are sped up and others are not. In some cases, the songs sound like they'd be nearly impossible to sing at the speeds at which they are being presented.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 24, 2018, 09:15:13 PM »

Til I Die into Passing By into ... Do It Again 2017.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 24, 2018, 09:26:17 PM »

Playing the Mike/McGrath/Stamos Do It Again. Luckily it was muted

EDIT: Someone beat me to it
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 09:26:49 PM by All Summer Long » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2018, 04:46:36 AM »

On my first run while driving home late yesterday afternoon, I heard the following (not in this exact order, but close):

All Summer Long (Brian Wilson Live in Las Vegas 2014)
Girl Don't Tell Me
Surfin' Safari
Marcella
When I Grow Up
Ballad Of Ole' Betsy
You're So Good To Me
Somewhere Quiet (BW)
Surfer Girl
Funky Pretty
A Postcard From California (AJ and Glen Campbell)
Sail On Sailor
I Get Around
Wild Honey
Rio Grande (BW)

What impressed me most was that, aside from the solo stuff, these were tracks where the guys themselves played most of the instruments - and in every case this included an actual Beach Boy playing the drums!

Later, I heard:

Sloop John B.
Do You Want To Dance
Pitter Patter
Cool Cool Water
Only One World (ML)
Surfin' U.S.A.
both sides of the California Girls / Let Him Run Wild single (apparently pairing a single A-Side with its flip will be a regular thing)
Matchpoint Of Our Love

And, a buddy of mine reported hearing Hey Little Tomboy (so, they were dipping heavily into MIU and earlier the CATP/Holland era).
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 25, 2018, 05:20:56 AM »

Can anybody tell what's the big deal about hearing songs you can listen anytime you like to? Everybody can pick random BBs songs to create playlist. Which leads to question - in the weird comps thread, some posters didn't like that fact about these comps. Now people say they enjoy this channel? Doesn't make sense.

Easy.. you don't have to make a playlist.. That alone saves time.
And I usually listen to complete albums, but for me, I think it's exciting to put it on and you don't
know what's coming up next... you hear things you may not have thought about or heard in awhile,
you hear things that maybe you don't want to sit thru an entire album to get to.. it's fun!
Last night doing dishes and they played Don't Worry Baby, Til I Die, Passing By, Marcella, etc.

No harm in this at all.  Though I did hear Cotton Fields 3 times yesterday.

And yes, hopefully it will expose people to the deeper Beach Boys catalog.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 05:23:13 AM by TV Forces » Logged
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 25, 2018, 06:05:15 AM »

Heard Al talking about their first publicity photo. Thought I heard him say they were wearing yellow tuxedos?
He was asking if anyone out there had a copy of this photo

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: May 25, 2018, 06:33:54 AM »

Does anyone think that C50 live stuff was declared off limits? (Wasn't sure because of the discussion in the other thread about future live/archival releases.)

I'm having weirdly too much fun taking random screen grabs of tracks, but here's one that confirms they're playing tracks from the C50 live album:

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: May 25, 2018, 06:36:30 AM »

A random run of songs from last night:

Not sure if this was a momentary glitch or if someone absconded with the artwork for "Love You":

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: May 25, 2018, 06:45:12 AM »

A satellite radio station or a streaming stations/service is not the same thing as a commercially-released compilation. The former is by definition something relatively random (again, keeping in mind they surely use various algorithms to program the station), while the latter is something expected to be molded to make for an enticing purchase.

I'm not even sure how "big" of a deal anybody feels the channel is. It's more objectively a big deal for the BBs and their brand and PR and all of that, and it's fun to check this channel out and view it through the prism of a more casual fan or new fan (or random observer), and it's fun to see the channel for the same reason someone might find it interesting to catch a movie they really like on TV and perhaps note how weird it is for such an obscure movie to be aired on TV.

Also, however much we *can* hit "shuffle" on our collection at home (and that's only assuming a bunch of things; most immediately that one has put their music on a device where they *can* shuffle it), how often are we essentially *forced* to listen to a random stream of BB songs? Especially for me, because I'm streaming via the free app, I can't skip songs (well, I'm allowed a few skips per hour I believe, but that's it), so it's a different experience than shuffling my IPod, and certainly different than picking various CDs off the shelf.

I'm guessing some folks here don't have a huge list of fellow BB fans who they hang out with all the time and shuffle BB songs for them, so this is like visiting someone and being beholden to whatever they pick. It's fun, nothing more.

C'mon, how many people have stopped and watched some of a movie on TV even though they have the DVD/Blu-ray in their collection? You're half-way through the movie and you're going to watch 30 or 45 minutes. Are you going to go grab the movie off the shelf every time, or just watch it on TV for a little while?

Rocket science this ain't.

branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 25, 2018, 06:48:29 AM »

Very cool! They just played California Girls, which was proceeded by some chatter from the Party version and the album version. It ended with Brian saying let's do one more Take 44. I really want to hear the session chatter from Help Me, Rhonda lol.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 06:49:43 AM by branaa09 » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 25, 2018, 08:57:29 AM »

Morning playlist, starting at 9:30 CT

God Only Knows
Hang onto Your Ego
Let Him Run Wild
Hold On, Dear Brother
Their Hearts were Full of Spring

Goin' On
Cuckoo Clock
Be True to Your School (Toby Keith)
No Go Showboat
Car Crazy Cutie

You're So Good To Me
Pacific Ocean Blues
Wouldn't It Be Nice
Little Old Lady (In Concert)
Custom Machine

Getcha Back
Surfin' Safari
Warmth of the Sun (Willie Nelson)
In the Back of My Mind
When I Grown Up (To Be a Man)

Sloop John B
Cherry Cherry Coupe
It's OK
TWGMTR
Good Timin'

I'm Waiting for the Day
Add Some Music
I Get Around
Surfin'
Help Me Rhonda

Don't Talk
Forever
Slip On Through
Dressed Up For School
Dance, Dance, Dance

Wipe Out (with the Fat Boys)
Cool, Cool Water
Little Girl I Once Knew (Live at the Roxy)
Al talks about listening to records
Rock & Roll Music (single)

Disney Girls (Surf's Up version)
Make It Good
Cotton Fields
Are You Real (DW)
California Girls

Girl From New York City
Mike talks about surfer culture
Hawaii
It's Getting Late
I Can Hear Music

Friends
Oh Darlin
California Dreaming (Al Jardine solo)
In My Room
Keeping the Summer Alive

Some of Your Love
All Summer Long
Only With You (Dennis Wilson solo)
Catch a Wave
Livin' With a Heartache

Al talks about taking Dennis' parts
Breakaway
Graduation Day (live '66 Ann Arbor)
Don't Worry Baby
Kiss Me Baby (Mike Love solo)

Bluebirds over the Mountain (Rarities version)
Be Here in the Morning
Little Deuce Coupe
Salt Lake City
Here She Comes

Good Vibrations
Summer Means New Love
California Saga (single mix)
Help Me, Rhonda
Fun, Fun, Fun (with Ricky Van Shelton)

Surfin' USA
And Your Dreams Come True
Mike talks about friendship with Dennis
Tug of Love (Dennis Wilson solo)
Girls on the Beach

That's 3.5 hours of quality listening! Well, most of it at least. I'll be back later.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 11:01:43 AM by Wirestone » Logged
KDS
« Reply #96 on: May 25, 2018, 09:08:55 AM »

Considering that the station is offering a wide variety of the entire catalog plus live tracks, rarities, and solo offerings, it might introduce casual listeners, who might check out the channel hoping for simply a soundtrack to a summer drive or cookout, to songs they wouldn't have heard other wise. 

As a fan, it's cool to hear something like Postcard from California, All I Wanna Do, Crack at Your Love, Cool Head Warm Heart, Bluebirds Over the Mountain, Only With You, etc on the radio in the car, without having to put in a CD or plug into my Spotify. 

It's a win-win-win
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: May 25, 2018, 09:16:37 AM »

Not that it's surprising considering they appear to be pulling stuff from anything that has ever made it out on CD, but I've seen the first instances of tracked pulled from DCC's "Lost and Found" and Brian's "Live at the Roxy Theatre." Also even saw "Barbie" last night pulled from that Varese compilation "Surfin'" from 2000.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: May 25, 2018, 09:30:25 AM »

Going pretty deep with "Are You Real" from the Bambu disc in the POB deluxe set.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 25, 2018, 09:51:07 AM »

I was up for a few minutes around 0500 to check the weather. Turned on the BBs channel.
I heard the following 3 songs:
  Cocktails
  Wipe Out

Wide variety to say the least :-)

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 28 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx