gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:28:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Channel on Sirius XM  (Read 146633 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2018, 10:57:31 AM »

And above it looks like they played the title track from TWGMTR, so there appears to be no "pox on Joe Thomas" or "no C50" rule in place (not to mention they already played a bit of "Think About the Days").

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2018, 11:43:45 AM »

Does anyone think that C50 live stuff was declared off limits? (Wasn't sure because of the discussion in the other thread.)

I would doubt it. They're playing stuff from "Stars and Stripes" and "Summer in Paradise", and in at least one case pulled a BB track from some random multi-artist compilation. I'm guessing anything already in the SiriusXM catalog along with any other previously released BB and solo material is all fair game.

They may not lean heavily on live stuff, especially since those albums would mostly duplicate song titles found on studio albums; we don't know yet. I'm going to guess they will air live stuff too.

But, the fact that we're getting stuff like SIP tracks and solo tracks tells me there was no vetting of material as far as excluding anything that is only the core catalog of albums.

The only core catalog stuff that I'm guessing *might* not appear would be stuff where no digital/CD release has ever occurred (e.g. "Looking Back with Love"), or stuff that currently is OOP and not licensed to any streaming services (e.g. some of Al's solo stuff).

They're playing "Honkin' Down the Highway" from Al's solo album, so that rules out streaming limitations!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2018, 11:49:39 AM »

Wonder how the more casual BB fans are taking all these deep cuts.

It's super intense at my home right now. Beach Boys keeping me (mostly) sane Ahhh!

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2018, 11:57:46 AM »

For list-keeping purposes, we should note that Al told a little anecdote before "Surfin'."
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2018, 12:04:56 PM »

For list-keeping purposes, we should note that Al told a little anecdote before "Surfin'."

Which one, Wirestone?, I lost track. Is anyone able to keep watching after 4? I have to leave by then and won't be back until midnight and probably won't keep adding to the list.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2018, 12:07:47 PM »

Which one, Wirestone?, I lost track. Is anyone able to keep watching after 4? I have to leave by then and won't be back until midnight and probably won't keep adding to the list.

The one after "Breakaway." The anecdote was about calling radio stations to request the song.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2018, 12:08:18 PM »

The one after "Breakaway." The anecdote was about calling radio stations to request the song.

Ok thanks
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2018, 12:09:17 PM »

Ok thanks

I'll likely keep watch. Just note when you're done.  Grin

Also: Beach Boys medley sighting!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 12:09:49 PM by Wirestone » Logged
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2018, 12:13:00 PM »

Ok thanks

Got it. Thanks

EDIT: that's not my note yet
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2018, 12:15:49 PM »

Ok thanks

Never mind I'm out now.
feelintheflows
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2018, 12:21:57 PM »

just heard Hold On Dear Brother!  Awesome.
The casual fan is prolly like who the F is this!?

Would be cool if sales spiked as the summer goes on. The casual fans hearing songs they never heard before and go to ITunes or something at bought albums, CDs etc
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 12:30:35 PM by feelintheflows » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2018, 12:29:59 PM »

Just took a little back and forth drive so I got some time with the channel. I can't say my driving time resulted in the best timing, as I got such classics as "Our Special Love" and one of the gawdawful *longer* edits of the already-awful "Beach Boys Medley" pulled from "Rarities." I forgot how awful and weirdly those were put together.

But I'm not complaining. Lots of cool deep cuts and good variety.

Cool that Al's solo album will be worked in (now if he can get it back in print, that would be even better! He's selling it at his solos shows apparently).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2018, 12:36:42 PM »

Especially interesting that they're pulling tracks from "Rarities", as it was only in print for a short time in the US and a few brief reissues on CD in Japan only. I'm not sure if BRI actually asked or forced Capitol to pull the album from the market back in 1983, but my recollection is they weren't happy about it back in 1983 and its short time in-print may have been related to that unhappiness.

Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2018, 01:07:45 PM »

Theyre playing Rhonda from Al's Postcards album followed by "On my way to sunny california". Must be Al Jardine Power Hour right now...haha....Joking aside I'm really digging the channel. Great selection besides just the usual hits

I wonder how much a day in extra royalties the guys are making from a channel like this
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 01:12:41 PM by Needleinthehay » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2018, 01:22:01 PM »

I don't think they make a ton of royalties off of satellite radio (or streaming services).

Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2018, 01:29:53 PM »

I don't think they make a ton of royalties off of satellite radio (or streaming services).

Yeah, I dont think so either. I'm guessing something like .XX cents/song, thats why i was curious if it added up to anything substantial after the summer was over

EDIT: They actually listed royalties on Sirius website. Looks like something like $3/song...Average song lets say 3 minutes, 20 songs/hour = $60/hour. = ~$1400/day. Guessing most goes to Brian and Mike since it goes to the songwriters. I guess for not doing anything its not terrible...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 01:34:21 PM by Needleinthehay » Logged
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2018, 01:39:51 PM »

Gross. They’re playing the Stamos version of “Forever.”

A good reason to call "The Surf Line" at 833-FUN-FUN-FUN (833-386-3863) and request Dennis' original version from Sunflower.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2018, 01:49:14 PM »

New and updated playlist, combining previous posts and new songs.

Intro -- including Think About the Days and vocal clips from Mike, Al, Brian
Good Vibrations
Surfin' USA
Mike talking about group's harmony history with Whistle In a capella backing
Cotton Fields (the Cotton Song)

I Know There's an Answer
Little Deuce Coupe
Be True to Your School (Toby Keith w/BB version)
The Little Girl I Once Knew
Good to My Baby

Surfin' Safari
First solo track: Runaway Dancer (Brian Wilson)
At My Window
Disney Girls (Bruce Johnston solo version)
Wendy

Wouldn't It Be Nice
Leaving this Town
Spirit of America
Help Me Rhonda (studio chatter intro)
Kiss Me, Baby

Sloop John B
Don't Hurt My Little Sister
Long Promised Road
Don't Go Near the Water
Our Car Club

When I Grow Up to Be A Man
Chug-A-Lug
You Still Believe In Me
Forever (John Stamos SIP version)
Here She Comes

409 (preceded by dialogue from Mike about how it's his song too and what he wrote)
Goin' On
A Young Man Is Gone
All Summer Long (Brian and Al on Soundstage)
Here Today

Dance, Dance, Dance
All This Is That
That's Why God Made the Radio
The Little Old Lady from Pasadena (Live in Sacramento 1964)
Sail On, Sailor

The Warmth of the Sun
Airplane
California Girls
Shut Down
Hang On To Your Ego

Wild Honey
Endless Harmony (preceded by alt take dialogue from Darlin')
Our Special Love (Brian and Peter Hollens)
Rock and Roll Music (single version)
I'm Waiting for the Day

Please Let Me Wonder
Little Girl (You're My Miss America)
Sail On Sailor (Brian, Al, Blondie, and Ricky on Soundstage)
It's OK ("2 In A Row")
Susie Cincinnati

In My Room
Honkin' Down the Highway (Al from Postcard)
Heads You Win — Tails I Lose
Hawaii (67 Honolulu)
Do You Wanna Dance?

Surfin'
Al discussing how the band called to request Surfin'
Surfin'
I Just Wasn't Made For These Times
Caroline, No (preceded by dialogue/session chat, presumably from Pet Sounds)

Beach Boys' Medley (Up-Tempo) (from Rarities)
Catch A Wave
Don't Back Down
Tell Me Why
I Should Have Known Better

Hold On Dear Brother
Surfer Girl
Some of Your Love
Let Him Run Wild
Heroes and Villains (Smiley Smile bonus track version)

It's Gettin' Late
Do It Again
Little Honda
I Do (Big Beat of 1963 version)
Darlin (Endless Harmony live version)

One Kind of Love (Brian Wilson solo)
First repeat that I could see: Surfin Safari
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 02:30:59 PM by Wirestone » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2018, 01:59:44 PM »

I was listening in during that "Party" two-shot. You can add "I Should Have Known Better" after "Tell Me Why."

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2018, 02:05:49 PM »

Yeah, I dont think so either. I'm guessing something like .XX cents/song, thats why i was curious if it added up to anything substantial after the summer was over

EDIT: They actually listed royalties on Sirius website. Looks like something like $3/song...Average song lets say 3 minutes, 20 songs/hour = $60/hour. = ~$1400/day. Guessing most goes to Brian and Mike since it goes to the songwriters. I guess for not doing anything its not terrible...

I'm not sure that break down would be accurate. Trying to research exactly what the *artist* gets, let alone what SiriusXM pays out to SoundExchange (which collects the royalties on behalf of labels and artists), ends up in a tangled web of charts and articles. I would imagine each of the BBs are seeing *cents* per song, not dollars, once you factor in the record label and other administrators getting a cut.

It also looks like the overall royalty that SiriusXM pays out to SoundExchange is a percentage royalty (percentage of what I'm not sure, presumably some measure of what their subscribers pay possibly in additional to their other revenue). So they're not paying a flat mechanical royalty per song the way, say, an record label pays a flat royalty rate for songs included on albums, etc.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 02:08:53 PM by HeyJude » Logged

Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2018, 02:12:55 PM »

Literally playing the Spanish kokomo. Never heard this.

Also, HeyJude, you're right, after the record company gets their cut it probably does go down to cents/each. The record company cut is probably a lot harder to find an exact number for tho.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 02:15:31 PM by Needleinthehay » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2018, 02:19:02 PM »

This chart that was cited: https://www.siriusxm.com/usmusicroyalty/chart , doesn't appear to be very clear. But I don't think that "approx. $3 royalty rate" is per song. That chart looks more like a breakdown of how much of each subscriber's monthly premium goes towards royalty payments.

So, for instance, if you have a "Select" account, then $3.05 of your premium is going to royalty payments.

It would appear then that, at least in part, SiriusXM doesn't pay per "stream" (the way some online streaming services do), but instead pay the "industry" a percentage of what all subscribers pay to them.

What the chart doesn't explain is how that royalty is then doled out. Do they still monitor what each subscriber listens to and break that royalty fee down accordingly?

Also, plenty of people listen on the app *for free*, so presumably little to no royalties are being generated from that. Perhaps the artists and labels are still cut it on ad revenue and other ancillary things that come from non-paying listeners.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 02:21:36 PM by HeyJude » Logged

Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2018, 02:23:11 PM »

This chart that was cited: https://www.siriusxm.com/usmusicroyalty/chart , doesn't appear to be very clear. But I don't think that "approx. $3 royalty rate" is per song. That chart looks more like a breakdown of how much of each subscriber's monthly premium goes towards royalty payments.

So, for instance, if you have a "Select" account, then $3.05 of your premium is going to royalty payments.

It would appear then that, at least in part, SiriusXM doesn't pay per "stream" (the way some online streaming services do), but instead pay the "industry" a percentage of what all subscribers pay to them.

What the chart doesn't explain is how that royalty is then doled out. Do they still monitor what each subscriber listens to and break that royalty fee down accordingly?

Also, plenty of people listen on the app *for free*, so presumably little to no royalties are being generated from that. Perhaps the artists and labels are still cut it on ad revenue and other ancillary things that come from non-paying listeners.

Yeah, i realized that after i posted it that it wasnt the song royalty but fee subscribers paid that why i deleted my post with it but i guess i didnt delete it fast enough Smiley
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2018, 04:33:23 PM »

Now playing Passing Friend from Beach Boys 85. Never ever thought I'd hear that on a broadcast. Surreal
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2018, 04:47:26 PM »

I absolutely love this station, but now they're playing the same stuff, in the exact same order, that I heard a few hours ago. Hopefully they'll be adding more tracks, interviews, etc., very soon.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 28 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx