gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 08:14:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Channel on Sirius XM  (Read 146159 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #675 on: August 21, 2018, 09:41:14 PM »

That sucks. My Sirius account was shut off for non payment a while back and I was hoping to at least hear it one more time

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #676 on: August 21, 2018, 11:15:03 PM »

I hope the channel comes back full-time just so it's *there*. The music is too good not to have such a vehicle for people to tune in even for a short drive and enjoy listening.

Over the past two weeks of vacation, I logged hundreds of multi-state miles in a rental car which had Sirius, so as soon as I found the BB channel, I had it on almost constantly when driving. I wanted to share a few comments and critiques.

- Overall, it was a terrific presentation in that there was a randomness to which songs would be played. It's not like putting on an album, or even scanning a bank of sound files...it waspure chance what would come up next in the queue, and it felt refreshing to hear some real obscure tracks alongside the hits. Fresh ears got to hear some really good stuff.

- Having said that, it did start to get repetitive. As in, with such a vast catalog to choose from, it felt like the programming got a little lazy at times and I'd hear the same tracks and the same interview bites instead of hearing new stuff. It's not like there isn't enough to pull material from. Even the obscure tracks got repeated a little too often.

- I liked the interview drop-ins, with a few exceptions I won't go in to. One that really stood out was hearing that Jacqueline Love was the one who suggested to Terry Melcher that a sax solo be added to Kokomo after Melcher asked what the track needed.

- The songs I really did not connect with for decades, like, say, "Problem Child", "Summer Of Love" and others...they still mostly did not appeal to me at all. In fact some still sounded like dreck. However, some of the tracks I was lukewarm about  for years did sound much better when heard randomly on a radio format.

- The Dennis Wilson material sounded fantastic...gave a new perspective on Dennis' songwriting, which is as unique as any songwriter I can think of. He had his own style and execution in writing songs, and man some of them are killers. Absolutely great to hear Denny's music like this.

- Carl Wilson's solo material...still lukewarm on it. The studio material is marred by some really bad production and dated sounds, however...the live tracks really kicked serious ass. They sounded much, much better live than any solo work Carl did in a studio. It's too bad we didn't get more live Carl tours. He and his band ripped.

- This may be controversial, but hearing a mix of the 70's material alongside the "classics" of the 60's golden Capitol era...it felt to me like the BB's were trying too hard. If that makes sense. The songs just weren't there, and sometimes the sounds were just sitting there, minus the sparkle that marks a hit record. After Surf's Up...it's hard to dig the songs themselves, for me, with some exceptions. I cannot get into 15BO, MIU, KTSA, etc.

- The live band of the 70's with Blondie and Ricky kicked serious ass. Confirmed every time a track featuring the Flame was played. Rock and roll.

- The 60's golden era classics have a magic that was never matched. Even the early material, to some degree, has that spark, that magic sound which the band lost after 74 or so.

- Carl Wilson in his mid-teens was a phenomenal lead guitarist. The instrumentals on the first few albums when Venet was still on board could be pedestrian, but man Carl could play his ass off for his age. He had *the sound* of early 60's surf and boogie under those fingers.

- Brian Wilson. What else can you say? The man was a sonic magician. No one was cutting records and writing songs like Brian in the 60's. Magic. And worth noting how many of the guest musician interviews specifically name and cite Brian's writing and production in their comments.

- Jason Schwartzman's guest DJ spot was incredible. His favorites were most of my favorites too! And his commentary was great to hear. He gets it on a deeper level. His story about "Friends" and playing the song in music stores was classic. A true fan, and a joy to hear him spin those records and talk. Worth the price of admission, a highlight for me.

- Marky Ramone said something that was brilliant, and a spot-on observation. Marky described Brian's instrumental intro to California Girls as the sound of the sun rising. BOOM. Right there...nailed it. I had never heard it described like that before, I will always hear it as a sunrise from now until my last day on Earth. Thanks Marky, for shedding new light on something we've heard thousands of times but perhaps couldn't describe with words.

- Al's California Saga sounds/sounded great. A lot of Al's material sounded great as heard on Sirius, and his Family & Friends band was spectacular. Shame that had to end as it did.

- There is nothing like hearing that original version of "Surfin", and hearing the band members and Bruce recalling hearing it on the radio. But that track...if there is a harbinger of things to come, it's the energy of that track...proto-punk and pure garage energy and dirt...upright bass, brushes on trash can, Carl's driving acoustic-sounding guitar...that was a terrific groove. And Mike's bass vocal hook is just too good. The whole track is too good for a band's first real release. Mike's bass vocal distorts the mic, and it's just pure dirty goodness. Bom, bom, dippity dippity...Amazing.

...and if you're driving, that beat makes you want to drive faster and sing along to that bass. Be careful. Trust me. When that came on, the pedal went down.  Smiley

- The new orchestral material, with a few exceptions like the scored out intros and such, it really doesn't improve the originals. In fact the tracks sound like 95% of the original tracks, so why bother sweetening them at all?  I'm very lukewarm on it overall, and hearing the symphonic 2018 remakes next to the originals on Sirius only made it sound less essential than before.

- Gene Simmons had some great commentary on Good Vibrations.

And that's about it for now. Very enjoyable, although a little disappointing in the repetition I heard considering how much material there is to pull from in the band's catalog.

...PS no more remakes of the classics. Please. The 60's originals are too perfect. No need to update or improve them. Whether it's Hansen and Mike or Brian recutting "Let Him Run Wild"...leave them alone.

...PPS There is no one with a more poignant or better falsetto cry in his voice in popular music history than Brian Wilson. Case closed.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #677 on: August 22, 2018, 12:20:14 AM »

Just saw announcement on Al's FB page.
Last day for the Beach Boys channel is August 24.

Either Al is wrong, or the Sirius XM site is wrong.  The Sirius XM site shows channel 4 switching to Carolina Shag at 3 a.m. Eastern on 8/22. 
I've been reading elsewhere that the ending date is the 24th.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #678 on: August 22, 2018, 12:30:33 AM »

Brilliant post although I found myself liking the late 70s stuff more than you. I actually really like Full Sail a lot now despite dogging on it for years.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #679 on: August 22, 2018, 12:31:32 AM »

Just saw announcement on Al's FB page.
Last day for the Beach Boys channel is August 24.

Either Al is wrong, or the Sirius XM site is wrong.  The Sirius XM site shows channel 4 switching to Carolina Shag at 3 a.m. Eastern on 8/22. 
I've been reading elsewhere that the ending date is the 24th.

Is it a set end date?

I’ll grab my coat and leave now LOL

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #680 on: August 22, 2018, 04:55:04 AM »

Well I'm listening to a Wilson now.
Jackie Wilson. Lonely Teardrops.
Great while it lasted .

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
nach0king
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #681 on: August 22, 2018, 05:47:41 AM »

If anyone else subscribed to Sirius specifically for this, and did so with the six-month streaming special offer, if you call up and cancel now you will get a pro-rated refund. So I just got around $20 back of the original $35.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #682 on: August 22, 2018, 06:57:17 AM »

Regarding the SiriusXM channel, I think the “random” thing started out so jarring and weird that it was kind of fun (more for hardcore fans than casual fans I’m guessing). But it would have been nice to see it coalesce into something with a bit more planning and purpose.

As I alluded to some time back, after the channel was running for a bit I was able to sniff around and check in with some folks and pick some brains and also gather some info, and from what I’ve heard, there were some more elaborate, interesting plans for the channel that never developed. From what I’ve heard, Sirius wanted to keep the operation mostly “in-house”, and thus some plans that could have involved more folks outside the “SiriusXM” orb (e.g. folks from the BB world) were dropped.

Both Jason Schwartzman and David Fricke, the two people who did one-shot “Guest DJ” bits, both have worked/currently work for SiriusXM. I think they could have gone outside of that wheelhouse (not that their bits were bad; any sort of special programming like that would be a good first step) to get some folks that are not only BB scholars/aficionados, but also good radio/media personalities. I’ll forego mentioning the same list of people I always do.

I’m guessing they knew this was a limited run channel and thus didn’t plan out more elaborate specialized programming like that found on the Beatles channel (which is a mixed bag at best, but I won’t devolve into that topic at the moment).

I think some BB fans/scholars could help them mold their playlist to just keep some sort of form to it, both in terms of repetitions (if they need to repeat X number of “hits” each hour and each day, then at least space them out more instead of playing the same song like five times in two hours) and in terms of giving some form/theming to blocks of programming. As I said at the top, hearing Barbie/Some Of Your Love/Friday Night/All the Love in Paris/Please Let Me Wonder/Sidewalk Surfin’/California Energy Blues/I Loves You, Porgy/One Piece Topless Bathing Suit all in a row might seem kind of funny and intriguing at first, but eventually it just seems kind of silly and tedious. 

But I think the existence of the channel and getting the “Town Hall” thing going are good signs that portend more interesting things via their new leadership from Jerry Schilling.

I’m also curious if SiriusXM has any interest in bringing back the BB channel permanently. Do they run these channels like new fast food items, where they have it on the menu for a couple months as a “Limited Time Offering”, then take it off, then crunch the numbers and possibly bring it back permanently?

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
olathebob
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #683 on: August 22, 2018, 08:08:51 AM »

I'd like to know why they ended a month early. Their web site
 said this:

SiriusXM’s Good Vibrations: The Beach Boys Channel will run through the summer, via satellite on channel 4, and through the SiriusXM app on smartphones and other connected devices, as well as online at http://siriusxm.com.

The summer goes till September 22.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #684 on: August 22, 2018, 08:41:53 AM »

I'd like to know why they ended a month early. Their web site
 said this:

SiriusXM’s Good Vibrations: The Beach Boys Channel will run through the summer, via satellite on channel 4, and through the SiriusXM app on smartphones and other connected devices, as well as online at http://siriusxm.com.

The summer goes till September 22.

I dunno, I never made any assumptions considering they never named an exact end date. As it was, they started the channel a month *before* summer started, so the channel did run for just about exactly three months, so a full "season" so to speak.

I could technically parse their statement and point out, if they said "through summer" instead of "through the end of summer", the channel did technically run "through" summer, just not "through" the entire summer.

They might also be viewing "summer" as more the period during which school is out. For many folks, "summer" ends by mid-late August when it's "back to school" time (weirdly regardless of whether one is actually going to school).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #685 on: August 22, 2018, 04:27:39 PM »

Maybe next summer . I agree that in order to make a channel work long term you need special programming or you need to start throwing concerts in full on like Springsteen and Jimmy Buffet do.  I don’t think there was enough live tracks .
donbrhoden
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #686 on: August 22, 2018, 08:17:33 PM »

Like I said earlier, Aug 22 was going to be the end.  I really enjoyed it and I really miss it.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #687 on: August 22, 2018, 09:21:40 PM »

Much like the end of C50, even though we knew from the start that it was intended to be a limited run, it is sad to see this channel gone so quickly.  Hopefully they found that enough people listened for them to at least consider bringing it back in the future, even if only during the summer (although I think there is more than enough material to fill the channel year-round and still keep it fresh).
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #688 on: August 23, 2018, 05:22:42 AM »

Would really like to know how well the channel did,ratings wise,  from Sirius' perspective. Certainly that would be critical in deciding whether or not to bring it back. Like others, while I enjoyed the channel immensley, and I never switched from it the entire Summer, a permanent run would require better programming, and more interview/guest perspective/live performances to be successful long term.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #689 on: August 23, 2018, 06:55:05 AM »

Would really like to know how well the channel did,ratings wise,  from Sirius' perspective. Certainly that would be critical in deciding whether or not to bring it back. Like others, while I enjoyed the channel immensley, and I never switched from it the entire Summer, a permanent run would require better programming, and more interview/guest perspective/live performances to be successful long term.

I can only guess that SiriusXM is able to collect a good amount of data. Via the app for instance, they can probably track when and how listeners switch to another station or close out the app.

For instance, if they tracked my usage, they'd find that eventually I quit the app or switched to the Beatles channel or something when they played the same early hits over and over and over.

But they may well have found that "average/typical" listeners keep the station on for "Good Vibrations" but quit when "Summer of Love" or Bruce's "Rendezvous" comes on.

There is a huge built-in pretty deep-cut Beatles audience even among some relatively "casual" Beatles fans, which dictates they can go pretty deep on the Beatles channel while still playing some recognizable stuff (e.g. solo hits). I'm not so sure that's the case with the Beach Boys. They clearly targeted the summer/beach sort of angle in promoting the channel (even if they, while completely randomly, played plenty of deep cuts from the later era).

One thing I'd probably cut *back* on if the channel moves forward in the future is the outside production stuff. Brian was and is a great producer, but most (with some key exceptions) of his outside productions in the early-mid 60s are pretty bland and sometimes awful.

I'd also curate the "outtake" material. I'm not sure they need to be spinning "Mother May I" every day (or ever), nor some of the biffed live tracks from Sacramento '64 or Chicago '65. I like that they worked in that live stuff and worked in stuff from the archival "copyright extension" releases. But I'd especially curate that selection quite a bit more.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 08:01:59 AM by HeyJude » Logged

Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #690 on: August 23, 2018, 09:16:32 AM »

Much like the end of C50, even though we knew from the start that it was intended to be a limited run, it is sad to see this channel gone so quickly.  Hopefully they found that enough people listened for them to at least consider bringing it back in the future, even if only during the summer (although I think there is more than enough material to fill the channel year-round and still keep it fresh).

No more (radio) shows for The Wilsons!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #691 on: August 23, 2018, 03:18:05 PM »

^ There was a set end date apparently, although I’m sure they will be playing Unleash the Love at Sea Worlnow...

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #692 on: August 23, 2018, 03:19:55 PM »

I wonder if Sirius could tell that I hit the mute button on my iPad when they played a song I didn't like.  Grin
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 03:20:25 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #693 on: August 23, 2018, 04:46:30 PM »

^ There was a set end date apparently, although I’m sure they will be playing Unleash the Love at Sea Worlnow...
With AGD in a shamu costume!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #694 on: August 23, 2018, 06:26:08 PM »

Are you sure it’s a costume?

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #695 on: August 23, 2018, 06:52:30 PM »

LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #696 on: August 24, 2018, 09:29:14 PM »

I had my car in for repairs at my dealer and part of the package was a complimentary two month Sirius subscription. So despite the aggravation I sometimes had dealing with the channel’s people when I had a two year subscription before, I went ahead and turned on the signal - in time for the last couple days of the channel. The last day I heard Let The Wind Blow, Til I Die and This Whole World which made the subscription worth the trouble. But the station cut away when TWW had four seconds left. That annoyed me quite a bit.

The Carolina Shag channel is all right. It has a lot of mainstream 60s soul but the truth is that if you limited the playlist to the songs on the regular beach music compilations plus General Johnson’s catalog the target audience would probably get bored in a few days.
timbnash68
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #697 on: August 27, 2018, 07:42:11 AM »

I tend to agree with the Hey Jude opinion with a few additions. It really did seem to me that this was Mike Love driven. Sadly i think the average viewer who doesn't understand band politics is going to wonder why there are re makes of Do It Again and a focus on the 70 's and 80's Beach Boy Tracks. The Unleash  The Love stuff played often and i don't think its very good. I did hear TWGMTR enough and it stood out as a winner. I didn't hear much  of Summers Gone and the Suite material which was sad. I also thought that the songs were cut together poorly. I think many of this fan page contributors could have done a much better job of thematically placing songs. Custom Machine followed by TWGMTR  then God Only Knows makes no sense. If you gave fans advance warning  like on the other XM channels do ...... Perhaps Tuesday night would be the last Beach boy album in its entirety followed by some commentary, or Pet sounds in its entirety, Or a night of Car Songs , Surf Songs etc. Or Brian solo record night. Or even Mike Love solo record night. Im sure that XM would then be able to judge if perhaps Mike Love solo night surprised everyone and had more listeners that TWGMTR... unlikely but a fair way to then dictate why they kept  featuring Mikes remakes ...  And maybe we are all crazy and the majority of people just react to the hits. I didn't hear a lot of coordinated thought. i also felt that the interviews were rehashed self promoting  mostly by Mike and Bruce...
" I was with Lennon when The Maharishi" bs and such.... "I played Pet Sounds for Paul"..... also a lot of Brian is a genius ramble. I agree that he is, but why? Give us some great audio examples. How about more stack of tracks type of vocals with Bruce ( who knows a ton about harmonies ) Pointing out the different counterpoints and identifying who sang what....or even Brian giving us the inside info. All in all very vanilla..... I would have even liked to hear some engineering or studio anecdotes and not just Hal Blaine talking about how many tracks he played on...... last comment, some of the 80 's stuff really really sounds bad.  Both Brian and The Bands....The lyrics are embarrassing to the average listener. I was a bum I told a lie? Comon thats not going to attract a new era a BB fans. I also  heard way to much of the early Ten Little Indian type  material also. If your going to play an early instrumental how about playing Lets Go Trippen and hear David Marks tell us how much they were influenced by the track, or that they werent! Listen to the Garth Brooks station and you get a feel for where Garth got his persona. His influences. Billy Joel, Chris Ledoux Steve Miller, very surprising and informative.  I'd much rather hear a Four Freshman cut, or something lets say by Three Dog Night That Brian wished he'd produced or Jimmy Webbs ADIOS sung by Linda R  and Brian.... There was so much that could have been done and so little effort seemed to be made. Overall a C Plus.... Lets hope they get a second chance
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #698 on: August 27, 2018, 08:47:51 AM »

That last post hit on a few points I left out of my postgame - Granted, I came in late to the game.

I do think there has to be some balance, though, between the hardcore fan trivia and people casually tuning in at random times. That is the eternal struggle, isn't it? If this were a channel devoted solely to the diehard fans, the numbers would be paltry. And imagine someone casually tuning in on a random day and hearing an in-depth discussion about some esoteric points where it sounds like a lecture, versus tuning in and hearing *music*...and mostly music they are familiar with. Some of what we want inside the hardcore fan bubble is not what wins a pitch for a 24/7 Sirius channel or similar commercial ventures. I think we have to face reality and say the Beach Boys are not the Beatles...it's perhaps as simple as that.

Is there demand for hardcore fan programming? Of course. But this wasn't it. This was a trial run, and I'm sure the numbers are being crunched or have been crunched to see the viability for a future run, or perhaps a permanent run.

Now the controversial stuff, as I seem to be wont to do.

At the tail end of my listening run, they started advertising a contest to win tickets to a Mike and Bruce show. Ok, fine...but it cheapened it ***in my opinion*** especially in light of the fact that two *original members* are also on tour as we speak. I don't know the how's and why's, but advertising Mike's tour while Brian and Al are also touring (yet didn't get a plug as far as I remember for their tour) cheapened it for me. There, I said it.

Speaking of...there was one moment in the run where they played one of Brian's monumental productions from the classic 60's era, I don't recall exactly which one but pick one and it will fit the bill. Then it was followed by..."Summer Of Love". The contrast and difference in every which way possible between the two tracks was so blatant as to be laughable. Or absurd. Choose your own adjective. But sequencing like that does *not* do that 90's dreck any favors. Yet I wonder if band members had any say in the sequencing, as in how many of any era got featured.

Anyway...I rate it higher than a C+, again based a lot on the element of randomness and the excellent Jason Schwartzman DJ spot. But there were a few elements that lowered the bar, and the free ticket contest plus the jarring nature of including some of the 80's and 90's missteps did drop it a few grades.

Maybe someone should tell Mike that if fans have not warmed up to his various material from the 80's and 90's to the extent he may think it deserves, perhaps the material just was not and is not something fans want to hear. The recent ESPN broadcast should serve to back that up too.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx