gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 06:23:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Channel on Sirius XM  (Read 146153 times)
MsBecca
« Reply #650 on: August 11, 2018, 11:15:15 AM »

I am going to miss this channel when it goes away. I never gave the early work its fair listen cause I thought it was not cool. I now see just how genius Brian was from the beginning. Heads you win, lonely sea, farmers daughter, and girl from New York City (which sounds proto-wild honey to these ears) were revelations.

Carl’s solo work sounds banging too. I had read before that people did not like it?
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #651 on: August 11, 2018, 12:57:18 PM »

I am going to miss this channel when it goes away. I never gave the early work its fair listen cause I thought it was not cool. I now see just how genius Brian was from the beginning. Heads you win, lonely sea, farmers daughter, and girl from New York City (which sounds proto-wild honey to these ears) were revelations.

Carl’s solo work sounds banging too. I had read before that people did not like it?

I always felt that SMiLE and PS were not really that radically different if you paid attention to the deep cuts from the early albums. Even the cover of Moon Dawg is the same kind of aural painting that Brian would later do with Cabinessence.  Come to think of it, surf music with its evocation of actually riding the weather waves is the same kind of thing.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #652 on: August 11, 2018, 02:36:32 PM »

I would presume some sources pull the track from here (others perhaps from vinyl; the vinyl is probably more common than the CD); this is about as good as it could sound outside of a full legit remaster.

This is the first time I've seen an Up the Creek CD. Is this a legit release or a boot or homemade copy? If legit, can you tell me where and when you found it? I've been intending to digitize Chasin' the Sky from my Up the Creek LP, but a copy from an official CD would be even better.
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #653 on: August 11, 2018, 03:22:30 PM »

I would presume some sources pull the track from here (others perhaps from vinyl; the vinyl is probably more common than the CD); this is about as good as it could sound outside of a full legit remaster.

This is the first time I've seen an Up the Creek CD. Is this a legit release or a boot or homemade copy? If legit, can you tell me where and when you found it? I've been intending to digitize Chasin' the Sky from my Up the Creek LP, but a copy from an official CD would be even better.

Discogs doesn't list any official CD release so it's probably a boot.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #654 on: August 11, 2018, 04:52:50 PM »

I always felt that SMiLE and PS were not really that radically different if you paid attention to the deep cuts from the early albums. Even the cover of Moon Dawg is the same kind of aural painting that Brian would later do with Cabinessence.  Come to think of it, surf music with its evocation of actually riding the weather waves is the same kind of thing.

Don’t Hurt My Little Sister also has a bassline similar to the one in Heroes and Villains

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #655 on: August 11, 2018, 07:27:57 PM »

girl from New York City (which sounds proto-wild honey to these ears) were revelations.

Now that is an interesting observation. I had never thought of it before, but I totally concur.
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #656 on: August 12, 2018, 02:31:22 AM »

You guys are hitting on something I've been noticing about this channel as well.  The random way they mish-mash songs from different eras up against each other produces some interesting comparisons.  It really begins to show just how many "common threads" there are between so many songs that previously seemed completely unrelated.  For instance, listen to something like  "Do It Again" right up against "Good Timin"... I find those two songs put me in very similar emotional places, despite the 10+ years difference between them.

I have to admit I did crack up the other day.  The had a Mike Love soundbite, where he was talking about Carl Wilson being in charge of the touring band, his level of meticulousness, and how he was very concerned with the "integrity of the performance".  Immediately it cuts to some live recording where Mike is making raspberry noises into the microphone and heckling the people in the front row because they "have more money than anybody else".  Amazing stuff with integrity here, folks. 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #657 on: August 12, 2018, 11:13:34 AM »

girl from New York City (which sounds proto-wild honey to these ears) were revelations.

Yeah that’s a great catch; now I can’t unhear it!

Now that is an interesting observation. I had never thought of it before, but I totally concur.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #658 on: August 13, 2018, 04:17:25 PM »

Does anyone know for sure when the off-date is for this channel?  I've been really enjoying it and I just want to prepare myself for the inevitable end.

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
donbrhoden
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #659 on: August 13, 2018, 07:19:14 PM »

Aug 22
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #660 on: August 14, 2018, 06:51:49 AM »

David's birthday -- couldn't they at least wait for Al's?
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #661 on: August 14, 2018, 07:02:53 AM »

I shall say this - as smb. without access to Sirius, it doesn't affect me at all that soon, in week, BBs channel ends. I'll advise everybody to be cool about it. People saying it makes them sad doesn't make any sense, tbh.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #662 on: August 14, 2018, 04:40:32 PM »

I’m not sure why I shoudnt be sad when something I enjoy ends.  That’s human nature .
I haven’t heard an end date but Labor Day would make sense. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #663 on: August 16, 2018, 06:40:02 AM »

I've only been able to rather sporadically listen to the channel in recent weeks, but the other day I was surprised to hear an interview segment with Mike discussing "Rock and Roll to the Rescue"; this has to be one of the first times since 1986 that he's been asked about it. I don't think any live setlist has touched the song since a handful of shows back in 1986.

He didn't really offer any unique insights, though it was interesting he immediately turned to remembering the *music video*, which for those who have seen it is a pretty dire one.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #664 on: August 16, 2018, 04:46:24 PM »

While driving this afternoon I heard Carnie relate the story of how she and her Dad reconciled. In the mid 90s (she said 1993) Brian called and wanted to record a song with her. While there she saw Brian wiping away a tear, and Carnie got pretty emotional .
I’m in the parking lot outside a movie theater waiting to go in to see the Elvis movie, so don’t remember off the top of my head the name of the song.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #665 on: August 16, 2018, 05:56:07 PM »

Maybe bells of Madness?
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #666 on: August 16, 2018, 08:29:58 PM »

Yes I believe that was the song Carnie mentioned

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #667 on: August 16, 2018, 08:53:13 PM »

Does anyone know if "Rio Grande" was ever played on the channel?

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #668 on: August 17, 2018, 05:02:42 AM »

I've heard Rio Grande a couple of time, most recently a week or so ago.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #669 on: August 17, 2018, 06:55:35 PM »

Just saw announcement on Al's FB page.
Last day for the Beach Boys channel is August 24.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #670 on: August 19, 2018, 12:19:10 PM »

Just heard my first stereo remix on the Channel - first they played a sound byte of Brian talking of his love of Gershwin, how it came from his mom & grandma, then how he learned to play "Rhapsody In Blue" on the piano note for note when he was 28 (which would have been deep in the heart of his "Aesop" era), by listening to Leonard Bernstein's version, then going to the piano, and back and forth - then they played BW's "Rhapsody In Blue (Reprise)" from his Gershwin album, then they segued that into "Kiss Me, Baby (Stereo Remix)" - what a great transition! And they followed that with a sound byte of Mary Ann Jardine, talking about the power of the music being bigger than any one of the "stars" themselves (first time I've heard her on the Channel).

Well, it's been great while it's lasted...but I wouldn't be surprised if the Channel comes back around every summer from now on!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 12:41:52 PM by c-man » Logged
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #671 on: August 19, 2018, 01:58:46 PM »

I've heard Mary Ann a couple of times already and also heard Jacqueline love once or twice too
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #672 on: August 21, 2018, 07:46:51 AM »

Just heard Bruce again pat himself on the back that the Wrecking Crew was able to improve their credit history, buy their own homes and not have to play in jazz clubs.   LOL

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #673 on: August 21, 2018, 09:14:54 AM »

Just heard Bruce again pat himself on the back that the Wrecking Crew was able to improve their credit history, buy their own homes and not have to play in jazz clubs.   LOL

Yep, I mentioned awhile back that *multiple* Bruce interview segments seem comically fixated on money. For a guy that's, by his own admission, extremely wealthy ("I live next to Oprah!"), he seems oddly fixated on seemingly inconsequential things like what the XKE he bought in 1966 would be worth today.

If you look at Bruce's pre-Beach Boys work, though, I guess he was tackling things form that same angle of just churning out inconsequential, light-weight, knock-off style material for a relatively nice paycheck.

The guy is a good piano player, and was there watching Brian create PS and Smile and was there in the thick of it for "Sunflower" and all of that. I wish he'd talk more about that instead of going on political rants or talking about money or trying to decide whether he wants to impress fans or deride them for being fans in the first place.

Rant over.  LOL

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #674 on: August 21, 2018, 08:03:01 PM »

Just saw announcement on Al's FB page.
Last day for the Beach Boys channel is August 24.

Either Al is wrong, or the Sirius XM site is wrong.  The Sirius XM site shows channel 4 switching to Carolina Shag at 3 a.m. Eastern on 8/22. 

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx