gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680553 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 03:53:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Channel on Sirius XM  (Read 146140 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #550 on: July 05, 2018, 07:03:04 AM »

I had forgotten as well that the "Rockin' Celebration" album appeared to have added the Mike solo track so late in the game that it wasn't listed on the back album jacket or the LP label, and was only mentioned via a sticker on the back (where it was also inexplicably referred to as a "hit"):

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #551 on: July 05, 2018, 07:04:41 AM »

I've always found it interesting (in a nerdy way) that the BBs almost surely must have NOT been aware that the song they were selecting to sing with Ringo, "Back in the USSR", is one of the hand full of songs *without* Ringo on drums on the White Album, having been cut while he had temporarily "left" the band.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 07:43:57 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: July 05, 2018, 12:57:46 PM »

None of this stuff is a-list material, but I'd probably rather hear Bruce's rendition of "Sealed with a Kiss" than more "Hot Doggers" material.

I actually really kinda liked Bruce and Terry's "Sealed with a Kiss" for whatever reason. Probably the best thing Bruce has done since...um...."Disney Girls"? Kinda says a bit about how dire Going Public, California Music and the few Beach Boys tunes he's written since returning to the band have been. But truly, I do like it. And yes I know it's a cover, before anybody says I'm giving him too much credit.

Does strike me as odd that it was released as "The Ripchords" though...

I've always found in interesting (in a nerdy way) that the BBs almost surely must have NOT been aware that the song they were selecting to sing with Ringo, "Back in the USSR", is one of the hand full of songs *without* Ringo on drums on the White Album, having been cut while he had temporarily "left" the band.

I've find that amusing for a while as well. The thought must have went through Ringo's head at some point. It's like having Brian Wilson on as a guest to sing "Kokomo" or "I Can Hear Music" or something.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #553 on: July 05, 2018, 01:00:49 PM »

Shyin Away into Wings of a Dove ...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #554 on: July 05, 2018, 02:22:05 PM »

I hate to say this, but most of the non-Beach Boys stuff they have been playing on there quite honestly sucks in my personal opinion. I honestly do not care for the Bruce & Terry stuff, the Nodeans, or any of the other stuff that is introduced as a "Brian Wilson Production" from the early days. It's the same sh*t that I used to lump the Beach Boys in with prior to me becoming a fan, and I hope those who are tuning in to the channel don't  tune right back out after hearing that stuff.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #555 on: July 05, 2018, 02:46:34 PM »

A lot of the BW early productions are pretty bad, the performances more than the actual production. Some of the singers are really shrill and grating. I don't think I ever need to hear "The Revo-lution" again, nor the Basil Swift cover of "Farmer's Daughter."

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #556 on: July 05, 2018, 02:57:59 PM »

I hate to say this, but most of the non-Beach Boys stuff they have been playing on there quite honestly sucks in my personal opinion. I honestly do not care for the Bruce & Terry stuff, the Nodeans, or any of the other stuff that is introduced as a "Brian Wilson Production" from the early days. It's the same sh*t that I used to lump the Beach Boys in with prior to me becoming a fan, and I hope those who are tuning in to the channel don't  tune right back out after hearing that stuff.

Spring is okay! And I did hear Guess I’m Dumb.

Part of me thinks they should just do some inspired by tracks — Carnival of Sound, Sagittarius stuff. A lot of those are pretty dang good and have decent BB connections to boot.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 02:58:43 PM by Wirestone » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #557 on: July 05, 2018, 03:05:28 PM »

I hate to say this, but most of the non-Beach Boys stuff they have been playing on there quite honestly sucks in my personal opinion. I honestly do not care for the Bruce & Terry stuff, the Nodeans, or any of the other stuff that is introduced as a "Brian Wilson Production" from the early days. It's the same sh*t that I used to lump the Beach Boys in with prior to me becoming a fan, and I hope those who are tuning in to the channel don't  tune right back out after hearing that stuff.

Part of me thinks they should just do some inspired by tracks — Carnival of Sound, Sagittarius stuff. A lot of those are pretty dang good and have decent BB connections to boot.

I should've been more specific...I was mainly referring to the early non Beach Boys productions with Brian and non Beach Boys works by Bruce.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #558 on: July 05, 2018, 03:09:15 PM »

American Spring, Guess I'm Dumb, The Wilsons, stuff like that is fine.

But a lot of that stuff on that "Still I Dream of You" comp is pretty bad. "Humpty Dumpty", the cover of "No Go Showboat", etc.

I'm not even saying they shouldn't play that stuff too. But these BW early outside Productions and giveaways are pretty weak, more than I guess I had perhaps previously thought. It makes the Lennon/McCartney giveaways sound like magnum opuses in comparison.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 07:41:30 AM by HeyJude » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #559 on: July 05, 2018, 03:10:59 PM »

I should've been more specific...I was mainly referring to the early non Beach Boys productions with Brian and non Beach Boys works by Bruce.

The Bruce and Terry stuff is surprisingly mediocre, ripping off not only the Beach Boys but other bands as well. And even that stuff sounds good in comparison to that Hot Doggers cover of "Surfin'."

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #560 on: July 05, 2018, 03:16:09 PM »

Yes!

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #561 on: July 05, 2018, 04:25:41 PM »

Brian was learning, B&T were even copying that learning phase.....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #562 on: July 05, 2018, 04:52:00 PM »

Yeah what I’ve heard really is quite awful

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #563 on: July 05, 2018, 08:39:59 PM »

Alls I know is I'm waiting to hear something by Bob Sled & the Toboggans.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #564 on: July 06, 2018, 01:04:10 PM »

At least for the app, RIP the cover art for "Love You" and "15 Big Ones." It has gone missing again.

They have finally updated the cover art for the new Royal Philharmonic album.

Caught yet *more* of the early female singer outside productions from "Still I Dream of You", and I'm perplexed as to why or how Brian ended up producing so many similar-sounding, shrill, grating singers. A bunch of them sound quite similar, and all off-putting. I know others have digested more of this material in the past; I've only sporadically delved into it myself, so I'm sure my slight surprise comes very late in the game.

Even the "Honeys" stuff sounds shrill and annoying. Marilyn and Diane certainly seemed to smooth their voices out by the time they got to the "Spring" stuff in the 70s.

Aside from the obvious relative classics like "Guess I'm Dumb", I'd have to say the partially repurposed BB track morphed into the "Timers" version of "No Go Showboat" is one of the more listenable tracks, mainly because it sounds similar to the BB track. And this comes from me, a person who has never put that song up on the A-list of BB material in the first place.  
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 01:05:33 PM by HeyJude » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #565 on: July 06, 2018, 02:14:39 PM »

They've started the David Fricke "Hang 10" featuring his selections.

Here's (I think) the full ten plus "curtain call":

This Whole World
Beach Boy Stomp (Karate)
Barbara Ann
Caroline No (Sounds like "original speed" version)
Guess I'm Dumb (Glen Campbell)
With a Little Help From My Friends (from "Sunshine Tomorrow")
Student Demonstration Time
California Saga - Complete 3-Song Version
River Song - Dennis Wilson
Surf's Up - Master Demo from Smile Sessions
Long Promised Road - Live from Endless Harmony Soundtrack
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 03:06:38 PM by HeyJude » Logged

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #566 on: July 06, 2018, 03:03:13 PM »

yes I would have picked some different songs but it’s nice to hear someone else’s perspective.
Hopefully there will be others giving their top 10s.

Earlier today I heard Marilyn talk about how Brian would bring a record home, they would get into bed, don headphones, talk a little and cry a lot while listening to the song. She said it was quite a spiritual experience.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 03:17:18 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: July 06, 2018, 09:07:45 PM »

Dennis Elsas and Bill Flanagan's "Fab Fourum" show on the Beatles channel played the Beach Boys version of "Back in the USSR" since this week's show came between the 4th of July and Ringo's birthday.

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: July 08, 2018, 11:40:21 AM »

This morning, I heard "Come Go With Me" with the Oak Ridge Boys from that same 4th of July concert.

nach0king
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: July 09, 2018, 10:52:34 AM »

David Fricke, who I guess is some kind of music historian or DJ or something, had a couple of shows over the weekend. Quite enjoyable, with some good anecdotes that casual fans might not know. But when he introduced California Saga, he said it was probably the longest Beach Boys release "after the disco remix of Keepin' the Summer Alive."  Huh Pretty basic mistake to make but other than that it was an enjoyable listen.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #570 on: July 09, 2018, 01:28:20 PM »

David Fricke is already on SiriusXM, so that explains why they grabbed him ("I've never actually interviewed any of the Beach Boys, but I've met a couple of them briefly!") instead of someone who may have had more insight and knowledge about the band.

Howie Edelson and Alan Boyd (and Stebbins, etc.) should be doing stuff on-air, but based on SiriusXM snagging Fricke for a show, it tells me they're keeping it all in-house, which is a bummer.

I think they're running out of key people to interview; they played a phone interview with Petula Clark today. It basically amounted to "I was in California at one point and I listened to the Beach Boys."

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: July 09, 2018, 01:33:48 PM »

Fricke writes reviews for Rolling Stone and did the notes for the PS 50 box.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #572 on: July 09, 2018, 01:45:01 PM »

Fricke writes reviews for Rolling Stone and did the notes for the PS 50 box.

Yes, of course, I'm definitely familiar with his work. I'm not saying he's by any stretch the least qualified to do a radio program on the band. But he wasn't snagged for this show because of his renown as a Beach Boys expert. He's a well-known rock/industry writer already on the SiriusXM payroll.

Kind of sniffing around the BB world and this SiriusXM channel in the last few days/weeks, what I'm hearing is that some pretty cool plans were proposed and rejected in favor of SiriusXM keeping the whole deal in-house.

I'm having fun hearing them shuffle stuff; but if they brought in some people closer to the BRI side of things (Boyd, Linett, Edelson, etc.), I'd actually consider paying for the channel. Short of BRI doing its own streaming radio channel or something, this was the best chance to get something rolling that goes beyond a Pandora/Spotify Beach Boys stream. They've made a few moves to make it something more, but if they're actively eschewing more BRI-side input and just using their own DJs, it's never going to be as great as it could.

Not only could true BB experts/fans do some specialized programming; they could also help program the channel itself to make it a little less schizophrenic.

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #573 on: July 09, 2018, 02:30:48 PM »

The Beatles channel aired some of a Van Dyke Parks interview for their tribute to Derek Taylor and I was thinking how cool it would be if Van Dyke had his own weekly show, kind of like Peter Asher’s show on the Beatles channel.  Call it something like “The California Sound”.  He definitely has the voice and eloquence of a radio host and of course he has a lot of history with The Beach Boys and their surrounding circles, not dissimilar from Asher’s relationship with the Beatles.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 02:33:51 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #574 on: July 09, 2018, 07:24:55 PM »

I just heard Gene Simmons from KISS comment on Brian Wilson. Having Breakfast somewhere and noticing Brian at another table. He talked about Paul and the Beatles and he (Gene) praised "God Only Knows" and they went into the song. I assume this is a newer clip? I hope so. Keep the new comments coming SiriusXM!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 07:28:46 PM by SloopJohnnyB » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx