gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 09:04:36 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Channel on Sirius XM  (Read 146162 times)
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: June 29, 2018, 01:27:58 PM »

LOL
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #501 on: June 29, 2018, 02:19:18 PM »

As much as I’m not a fan of the Orange crate art album today I was reminded how awesome San Francisco is

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #502 on: June 29, 2018, 02:37:27 PM »

As much as I’m not a fan of the Orange crate art album today I was reminded how awesome San Francisco is

The vocal arrangements on that album (whether VDP's or with some input from Brian) are stunning, with all sorts of crazy layers of Brian vocals doing crazy, amazing things. And "San Francisco" indeed is one of the most impressive tracks.

While I love layered Brians and that has its own unique sound, it would have *also* been amazing to hear something like "San Francisco" with the other BBs doing those epic group vocals.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #503 on: June 29, 2018, 03:30:40 PM »

They finally added cover art for 15 Big Ones....

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #504 on: June 29, 2018, 03:32:43 PM »

The "Complete" Cal Saga also has art now too, albeit a blurry shot of a vinyl copy with a price tag!

Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: June 29, 2018, 09:25:06 PM »

Today I heard something I never heard of before: "Twelve-o-Four" by Bob & Bobby.  Is that Brian singing on it?  Who is the girl singer?  What's the story behind it? 

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #506 on: June 29, 2018, 11:30:27 PM »

Today I heard something I never heard of before: "Twelve-o-Four" by Bob & Bobby.  Is that Brian singing on it?  Who is the girl singer?  What's the story behind it?  

They've been playing tracks from this compilation:

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Still-I-Dream-Of-You-Rare-Works-Of-Brian-Wilson/release/3329329

« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 11:32:40 PM by HeyJude » Logged

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: June 30, 2018, 06:14:14 AM »

Jan and Dean, Ride the Wild Surf, instrumental and backing vocals.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 06:14:57 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: June 30, 2018, 04:02:18 PM »

Has anyone heard anything from the "Pacific Ocean Blue" album?

I see that Carl's solo work has been getting some play.

Anyone hear anything from Dennis?

They've played material from both the "POB" album proper as well as the second "Bambu" disc:

They're playing stuff from all three Carl solo albums (two solo plus the "Beckley-Lamm-Wilon" album) and are also playing live tracks from the weird grey-area releases:

Thanks for the Dennis update! This channel is a lot of fun especially over a holiday weekend! I hope it sticks around or at least returns next summer as an annual event.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: June 30, 2018, 04:08:00 PM »

The vocal arrangements on that album (whether VDP's or with some input from Brian) are stunning, with all sorts of crazy layers of Brian vocals doing crazy, amazing things. And "San Francisco" indeed is one of the most impressive tracks.

While I love layered Brians and that has its own unique sound, it would have *also* been amazing to hear something like "San Francisco" with the other BBs doing those epic group vocals.

It’s my understanding that the OCA vocal arrangements are entirely Brian’s. Why he wasn’t credited, I have no idea, but VDP certainly isn’t known for intricate choral arrangements.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #510 on: June 30, 2018, 05:56:16 PM »

It’s my understanding that the OCA vocal arrangements are entirely Brian’s. Why he wasn’t credited, I have no idea, but VDP certainly isn’t known for intricate choral arrangements.

I would tend to agree. I just recall there was one VDP fan on Facebook that took me to task for saying they were Brian arrangements. My thing was that I couldn't picture VDP, what, singing every one of those parts to Brian first? Naw.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: June 30, 2018, 06:30:13 PM »

Now, BW was quoted at one point saying that VDP had to teach him the songs, which some took to mean all of the vocal parts. I suspect instead that Van taught him the lead lines and Brian built up the extra parts in the studio — no doubt with input from Van Dyke. But many of those tune just sound like BW vocal arrangements.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #512 on: June 30, 2018, 06:35:55 PM »

Now, BW was quoted at one point saying that VDP had to teach him the songs, which some took to mean all of the vocal parts. I suspect instead that Van taught him the lead lines and Brian built up the extra parts in the studio — no doubt with input from Van Dyke. But many of those tune just sound like BW vocal arrangements.

Agreed. Cannot picture Parks coming up with those vocal arrangements

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #513 on: June 30, 2018, 09:09:35 PM »

Yeah, but in interviews at the time Brian said Van Dyke arranged the vocals, and he (Brian) just sang 'em. For what it's worth.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #514 on: July 02, 2018, 06:44:59 AM »

Even setting aside that certain twists and turns and interjections in the vocal stacks sound like "pure Brian" (and appropriately later era Brian at that), I think just logistically that it wouldn't be very easy for VDP to literally arrange every note in every part of those vocal stacks.

I assume Brian usually if not always hasn't done his solo vocal stacks by reading notation off of a page, so that's where it becomes far fetched for VDP (or anyone) to relate every note of every part of those vocal stacks.

I'm sure, as the sole "writer" of the songs, VDP wrote the top-line melodies for the songs. Some songs are busier than others vocally. So with, say, the lead lines of the title track, minus the "ooohs" and other wordless backing vocals, it's Brian mostly just stacking onto that lead melody line. If every song was like that, I'd barely register a "vocal arranger" credit, as it would just be following that lead melody line and stacking appropriate notes above and below it.

But the album has all sorts of twisting and turning wordless backing vocals, modulations (some of which may not have come out of the original composition lead lines), hard-edged sort of jutting interjecting backing vocal stabs, and so on. A lot of supremely Brian-esque stuff going on there, stuff very different from the vibe, feel, or content of VDP's solo show renditions of the songs (which obviously can't replicate the album since VDP's live renditions I've heard are often solo). I'm thinking, for instance, about some of the sweeping near-a cappella powerhouse endings Brian gives to some of the songs. Unless someone could provide pretty hard contemporary audio proof or something, I just don't buy that Brian didn't at the very least contribute enough to those vocal arrangements to warrant a "co-arranger" credit. He did, again I'm guessing, much more than sing what was dictated with just simply a few tiny contributions/ideas.

I think the main takeaway is that, especially in my view many years later, it was a fruitful *collaboration*. A supremely unique Brian product; it sounds both *just like Brian* and in some ways *unlike* anything else he ever did, singing *entirely* someone else's *original* compositions for an entire album yet putting his layered, stacked vocal stamp on it.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 08:20:15 AM by HeyJude » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #515 on: July 02, 2018, 07:47:00 AM »

"Love You" and some other stuff (Jan & Dean) also now has cover art (also blurry as some of the other new cover art is)...

« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 07:47:27 AM by HeyJude » Logged

Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: July 02, 2018, 08:00:43 AM »

Even setting aside that certain twist and turns and interjections in the vocal stacks sound like "pure Brian" (and appropriately later era Brian at that), I think just logistically that it wouldn't be very easy for VDP to literally arrange every note in every part of those vocal stacks.

I assume Brian usually if not always hasn't done his solo vocal stacks by reading notation off of a page, so that's where it becomes far fetched for VDP (or anyone) to relate every note of every part of those vocal stacks.

I'm sure, as the sole "writer" of the songs, VDP wrote the top-line melodies for the songs. Some songs are busier than others vocally. So with, say, the lead lines of the title track, minus the "ooohs" and other wordless backing vocals, it's Brian mostly just stacking onto that lead melody line. If every song was like that, I'd barely register a "vocal arranger" credit, as it would just be following that lead melody line and stacking appropriate notes above and below it.

But the album has all sorts of twisting and turning wordless backing vocals, modulations (some of which may not have come out of the original composition lead lines), hard-edged sort of jutting interjecting backing vocal stabs, and so on. A lot of supremely Brian-esque stuff going on there, stuff very different from the vibe, feel, or content of VDP's solo show renditions of the songs (which obviously can't replicate the album since VDP's live renditions I've heard are often solo). I'm thinking, for instance, about some of the sweeping near-a cappella powerhouse endings Brian give to some of the songs. Unless someone could provide pretty hard contemporary audio proof or something, I just don't buy that Brian at the very least contributed enough to those vocal arrangements to warrant a "co-arranger" credit. He did, again I'm guessing, much more than sing what was dictated with just simply a few tiny contributions/ideas.

I think the main takeaway is that, especially in my view many years later, it was a fruitful *collaboration*. A supremely unique Brian product; it sounds both *just like Brian* and in some ways *unlike* anything else he ever did, singing *entirely* someone else's *original* compositions for an entire album yet putting his layered, stacked vocal stamp on it.

Agreed 100%. Which is why it also would have been fascinating to have other members of the BBs take the lead vocals on some of these tracks to add to that blend. That would have made OCA into a kind of 90s analogue of Pet Sounds, where Brian is (or quite often certainly seems to be) the sum total of the backing vocals. It's a variation on the usual BB sound that has a more physical component to it than the straight-ahead contrapuntal blend achieved with the group (stemming largely from the vocals being recorded all at once, instead of overdubbed separately).

Now, if Sirius will only play "Mess of Help" followed by "It's OK," it will finally become clear that the latter is a rewrite of the former...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #517 on: July 02, 2018, 08:24:39 AM »

I recall reading a review of a circa 1995 "Beach Boys" concert where some fan yelled out at Mike to sing "Orange Crate Art", and Mike supposedly saying something along the lines of "we don't do that one!" I honestly don't think that contemporary fan review really strongly indicated how annoyed or bemused Mike was when saying this.

I'm not sure what the other guys thought of Brian's activity circa 1995. One might think they'd be annoyed he churned out two albums that year without them, but then again during this same time Brian was being met with mixed (at best) reactions and meager enthusiasm for working on the Paley/Was stuff.

I've always sensed some of the guys in the group (perhaps particularly Mike and Carl) just weren't heavy into the idea in the mid-1990s of doing something in the "Pet Sounds" mold of Brian doing a whole album with an outside collaborator, and essentially hiring the other BBs in as session vocalists.

But yeah, one can't help but wonder how interesting and wonderful it might have been to hear the full BB group (with Matt included) tackle "Orange Crate Art" material, and I say this as someone who *loves* the "stacked Brian" sound as well.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 08:25:26 AM by HeyJude » Logged

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: July 02, 2018, 08:27:58 AM »

Just heard “Betsy” from the NASCAR album this morning ...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #519 on: July 02, 2018, 09:35:52 AM »

Someone may have already mentioned this one a ways back, but they are playing the (awful) Status Quo/BB version of "Fun Fun Fun."

....Followed by "Run James Run", which is the first time I've seen anything from "Playback."
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 09:40:47 AM by HeyJude » Logged

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: July 02, 2018, 09:50:47 AM »

I’ve heard RJR a handful of times ... Status Quo today was a first.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: July 02, 2018, 04:05:11 PM »

I recall reading a review of a circa 1995 "Beach Boys" concert where some fan yelled out at Mike to sing "Orange Crate Art", and Mike supposedly saying something along the lines of "we don't do that one!" I honestly don't think that contemporary fan review really strongly indicated how annoyed or bemused Mike was when saying this.

I'm not sure what the other guys thought of Brian's activity circa 1995. One might think they'd be annoyed he churned out two albums that year without them, but then again during this same time Brian was being met with mixed (at best) reactions and meager enthusiasm for working on the Paley/Was stuff.

I've always sensed some of the guys in the group (perhaps particularly Mike and Carl) just weren't heavy into the idea in the mid-1990s of doing something in the "Pet Sounds" mold of Brian doing a whole album with an outside collaborator, and essentially hiring the other BBs in as session vocalists.

But yeah, one can't help but wonder how interesting and wonderful it might have been to hear the full BB group (with Matt included) tackle "Orange Crate Art" material, and I say this as someone who *loves* the "stacked Brian" sound as well.

1995 was just a wacky year for the BBs in general. Mike's lawsuit had just concluded; Landy's bio of Brian had ruffled a lot of feathers and the dust had yet to settle. As a result, no one was willing to cut Brian much slack. Brian was not nearly ready to address the then-lingering issue of SMiLE, but the hook-up with VDP prompted a great deal of speculation.

One of the lost opportunities in the latter-day career of the BBs is that Carl died before Brian would turn around his feelings about SMiLE. There's every reason to think that Carl would have embraced the idea of completing it, given his earlier involvement. That would have provided additional flexibility with respect to vocal arrangements and given the entire project additional credibility.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: July 02, 2018, 04:16:53 PM »

I don’t think Brian would have recorded or toured solo in the way that he did if Carl were still alive.  And if Brian hadn’t forge the relationship he did with the band, there’s no way he would have felt comfortable performing or recording Smile again. It’s awful to say, but I think Carl’s death opened more doors for BW creatively than it closed.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #523 on: July 02, 2018, 04:53:50 PM »

The channel just had a promo mentioning David Fricke will play his top 10 Friday at 2pm Pacific/5pm Eastern time.

tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: July 02, 2018, 07:22:42 PM »

Must have been a big day for the Salute to Nascar album,  I heard Little GTO.

Also, several clips from Marilyn have been airing the past couple of days.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 28 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx