gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680554 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 05:01:02 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Channel on Sirius XM  (Read 146145 times)
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: June 15, 2018, 04:54:22 PM »

Not the best day for songs today. I must have heard Sail on Sailor, some of your love, and break away at least five times each throughout the day. Also Bruce Johnston talked about what a great song Forever was and what a great job Dennis did in writing it...... and then they played Disney girls! And Mike love talked about Carl Wilson and what a great vocal he did on God only knows.....and then they played Brian Wilson's vocal version of God Only Knows, not Carl's.  Strange day!
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: June 15, 2018, 05:44:57 PM »

Only listened now and again during the afternoon but had to endure Take a Load Off Your Feet twice.
But they also played Our Sweet Love which helped make up for it a bit. :-)

Oh, and as I arrived back at home they played Night Bloomin Jasmine.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 05:59:44 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: June 15, 2018, 07:15:13 PM »

I know it will be gone in a few months so they’re probably not going to make any changes but if it comes back next summer, I would love to see a more structure on the channel.  Celebrity DJ sets, fan made playlists, maybe some full concerts from the archive.  I’ve really enjoyed the channel for what it is but there are so many more cool things they can do with it.

All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: June 15, 2018, 07:57:41 PM »

I know it will be gone in a few months so they’re probably not going to make any changes but if it comes back next summer, I would love to see a more structure on the channel.  Celebrity DJ sets, fan made playlists, maybe some full concerts from the archive.  I’ve really enjoyed the channel for what it is but there are so many more cool things they can do with it.

Full concerts would be awesome. I know the Margaritaville station often plays full Jimmy Buffett concerts one night a week - I think, Saturday?
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: June 16, 2018, 05:52:25 AM »

Would love to see the channel expanded in the mode of E Street Radio, or the Elvis channel; interviews, guest DJ's, theme segments, live unreleased concerts, etc..So much more they can do here if the channel stays full time. The music us great, especially the non classics for me.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #455 on: June 16, 2018, 10:29:52 AM »

Not the best day for songs today. I must have heard Sail on Sailor, some of your love, and break away at least five times each throughout the day. Also Bruce Johnston talked about what a great song Forever was and what a great job Dennis did in writing it...... and then they played Disney girls! And Mike love talked about Carl Wilson and what a great vocal he did on God only knows.....and then they played Brian Wilson's vocal version of God Only Knows, not Carl's.  Strange day!

If you were referring to the version on the Pet Sounds Sessions boxed set... I thought it had come out that that was actually Carl not Brian

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: June 16, 2018, 11:34:51 AM »

If you were referring to the version on the Pet Sounds Sessions boxed set... I thought it had come out that that was actually Carl not Brian

It’s still credited to Brian on the 50th Anniversary set.

Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: June 16, 2018, 12:47:54 PM »

It clearly didn't sound like Carl to me and it had Brian's exact tones to it
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #458 on: June 16, 2018, 01:10:08 PM »

It clearly didn't sound like Carl to me and it had Brian's exact tones to it

Same here...glad that got cleared up. Where did the "Carl is actually singing" story come from?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #459 on: June 18, 2018, 08:08:35 AM »

There was some question as to whether they had played anything yet from the actual '64 "Concert" album (as opposed to the 1964 copyright extension set), but I did see/hear them play something from the '64 "Concert" album on Friday, I believe.

I have to say, while it's clearly "anything goes" on the channel and some level of relative randomness, it's still trippy to hear them play something like "Fall Breaks and Back to Winter."

Also caught Brian's "Make a Wish" the other day, and I hadn't tracked a lot of the GIOMH album in quite awhile. That one's not too bad, one of the better SI outtakes remade on that album. Brian actually has a relatively spirited vocal on that one as well.

Saw on another board someone speculating about a "74 Hollywood" version of "Good Vibrations", and speculating it might be some unreleased version from a New Year's Eve Dick Clark show or something. But no, it's just the live version from the 2006 Hallmark "Songs from Here and Back" CD (I'm guessing this person didn't have the app that displays the cover art).
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 08:09:31 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #460 on: June 18, 2018, 08:16:05 AM »

Oh, and having heard "Mother May I" *way* too many times, they can actually scrub that one from the playlist with no complaints from me. Arguably the most annoying thing they ever committed to tape.

I heard "Cuckoo Clock" come on last night and was kind of annoyed, and then thought "well, it's still better than 'Mother May I'."

But as Wirestone alluded to, to some degree, some super early stuff is not coming off the strongest, stuff like "Mother May I", "Cuckoo Clock", "Finders Keepers", "Ten Little Indians", etc.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: June 18, 2018, 09:02:33 AM »

I like Cuckoo Clock lol. It’s goofy fun by a bunch of kids. (I agree with the others though)

They played Surfs Up,followed by Song for Children from BWPS

Playing Honkin Down the Highway

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #462 on: June 19, 2018, 07:09:52 AM »

Good lord, I probably put in about two total hours of listening over the course of about 18 hours and heard "Talk To Me/Tallahassee Lassie" FIVE times.

They are also severely wearing out the 45 version of "Cotton Fields" for some bizarre reason. I also hear "When I Grow Up" at least 3-4 times per day during my 1-2 hours of listening. And of course they're still playing a ton of the surf/car songs.

They are sporadically doing the "playing both sides of the single" segment, and weirdly chose "Sail on Sailor/Only With You" yesterday. Not bad!

But still enjoying the channel. The fun, weird "Wtf?" moments seems to be lessening, and I think I do have to start watching how much I listen to the channel before it severely burns me out on some core hits as well as the other random stuff they seem to play disproportionately often.

Curt Lambert
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: June 19, 2018, 08:36:10 AM »

I was driving home from LAX airport last night and at midinght they played "Mount Vernon and Fairway:Fairytale" in its entirety. A very cool way to return to LA and drop back down into the San Fernando Valley and its twinkling lights. Segued into "In My Room" and then "Please Let Me Wonder." Very nice.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #464 on: June 19, 2018, 09:15:42 AM »

I was driving home from LAX airport last night and at midinght they played "Mount Vernon and Fairway:Fairytale" in its entirety. A very cool way to return to LA and drop back down into the San Fernando Valley and its twinkling lights. Segued into "In My Room" and then "Please Let Me Wonder." Very nice.

This - right here - is the kind of experience that makes it all worthwhile. The power of music.

There is nothing to compare to driving and having chance moments such as this courtesy of the radio connecting us to the bigger picture with the music as the catalyst. Similar thing happened to me years ago when the car radio randomly played Heroes on a perfect day, and I still remember *exactly* where I was driving and how it felt to crank that baby up. Imagine that, the power of music and radio that allows us to remember these snapshots years later while most of us couldn't recall what we had for dinner last week.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: June 19, 2018, 10:05:47 AM »

There was some question as to whether they had played anything yet from the actual '64 "Concert" album (as opposed to the 1964 copyright extension set), but I did see/hear them play something from the '64 "Concert" album on Friday, I believe.

Yes, I'd been wondering the same thing. Overall, I think they've found a near-perfect balance of live to studio material, but the live selections have been a bit odd. Until they displayed that Concert artwork w/Hawaii a few days ago, I had only seen them pull '64 live material from the extension release. Considering that album went #1 and was subsequently released on CD, I found that suspect. I also haven't seen/heard anything from Live in London. I've heard 'All I Want To Do' from Rarities a few times, but anything else from this era was either pulled from Live Sunshine or MiC. I think they play In Concert an adequate amount of time, but they (slightly) overplay C50 Live. They sure as hell love them some 'Help You Rhonda' LOL

I don't know, I just think they've been unnecessarily preferencing live tracks from extension releases and compilations over their core live albums.

Someone should provide Sirius with the Concert/Live in London twofer, Party!/Stack-o-Tracks twofer, and the 15 Big Ones and Love You album covers (for starters). Early on, I didn't expect them to play anything from Stack-o-Tracks, but the more time goes by and the deeper they get, the odder it is not to give it a token listen. They're playing session outtakes, vocals only tracks, even some bootleg/"grey" market stuff - not to mention the non-Beach Boys material.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #466 on: June 19, 2018, 10:15:29 AM »

The track selection, especially when they're not working from the super common songs, is certainly interesting if nothing else.

I've caught "Monster Mash" from both the '64 and '65 copyright extension sets. Not exactly their A-list material.

And hey, if you're gonna play "Monster Mash", might as well work in some of their X-Mas material! I wouldn't be surprised if the XMas Album, "Ultimate Christmas" tracks, and maybe even Brian's X-mas album get worked into the rotation eventually.

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: June 19, 2018, 10:31:27 AM »

It was pretty cool to hear Mike introduce a song like "This Car Of Mine". Part of me hopes they attempt to talk to Brian again. We don't hear from him nearly as often as the others and half the time it's just the same comment or two plugging the new album.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #468 on: June 19, 2018, 12:38:16 PM »

Someone may have already confirmed it, but I can confirm they're playing stuff from not only the original PS Sessions set, but also the "50th Anniversary" PS set from 2016, as they recently played the live '93 NYC version of "Caroline, No."

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: June 20, 2018, 06:34:45 AM »

Confirmed Honeys sighting: "Surfin' Down the Suwanee River" around 9:30 a.m. today.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #470 on: June 20, 2018, 06:37:32 AM »

They apparently played the (relatively) obscure track "She Rides with Me" (a Wilson-Christian penned track) recently.

I'm also still seeing more Bruce & Terry, and their Rutles-esque series of Beach Boys ripoffs is indeed prolific.

timbnash68
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: June 20, 2018, 07:18:37 AM »

I think they ( whomever they would be) are doing a wonderful job with the channel! As a fan ,Ii feel blessed to be able to hear and listen to the BB's  ALL DAY , ANYDAY! After almost a month of listening , I'd like to forward my humble observations.

1) Warmth of The Sun Willie Nelson? wow ! what a great track......

2) Kokomo sounds pretty good also! You can see why it was a hit. Much maligned, but it stands up really well

3) Having said this  (2) it seems that the guys spent quite a bit of studio time searching for a follow up... It didn't happen. Carl seems checked out  and the vocal arrangements are very disappointing. Just a wall of processed chords with Simmons drum fills!  A low period for sure!

4) Cuddle Up, Summers Gone, Caroline No .....All Sound great, good to see that the guys dig deep. Not all fun in the sun.

5) After hearing Warmth of the Sun by Willie, I checked in to Stars and Stripes. Caroline No by Tim B  deserves some rotation. I haven't heard it yet

6) Its great to hear the simplicity of songs like Busy Doing Nothin, Friends , The Night was so Young  etc. Little gems that can easily be forgotten if not for a channel like this. Brian really seems to like milk and his kitchen! who else could immortalize those topics as well as he did?

7)TWGMTR! I hear it almost every hour! Too Bad this wasn't a monster hit. While i really do love the final 4 songs on the Beach Boys final  album , The actual song TWGMTR sounds like a perfect summer smash. I never get tired of hearing it. Translates very well to the radio. It sounds fresh without being gimmicky.

7) Its great to hear some of the early live songs from the 64 period. Girls screaming over the band. They were a really cool surf band with great harmonies even then!

I could go on forever. Thank you Sirius Radio. I find myself driving around and listening again, even if i have no where to go
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: June 20, 2018, 08:56:27 AM »

The interview clip with Bruce Johnson gushing over The Wrecking Crew's real estate investments is pretty far out there. Whew.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #473 on: June 20, 2018, 09:03:32 AM »

The interview clip with Bruce Johnson gushing over The Wrecking Crew's real estate investments is pretty far out there. Whew.

I think I mentioned awhile back that multiple Bruce interview segments seem comically fixated on money. He talks about the Wrecking Crew, but fixates on not just that they were able to make a living (weirdly kind of taking credit for saving their livelihood as if BB session work was their only gig keeping them from toiling away in "jazz clubs"), but specifically that they were able to make money, build credit, etc.

Then, in another interview, he fondly recalls the XKE or whatever it was that he bought in '66, but the first thing he mentions is what it would be worth *today.*

I'm not saying there's anything inaccurate about his comments; it's just *very telling* how much he fixates on the money aspect of it all, seemingly above the artistic aspect.

You'd think a super rich guy living near Oprah in Beverly Hills or wherever would be the *last* guy fixated on what his past or present cars are worth, as if he's going to sell them on eBay or something. I mean, I don't recall ever hearing, say, Carl or Al fixate on the fact that their vintage Fender gear would be worth collectively hundreds of thousands of dollars. I don't think Carl owned "Old Yeller" (a hugely prized, expensive guitar all on its own) because it was a valuable investment; he just liked the guitar.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 09:06:44 AM by HeyJude » Logged

MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: June 20, 2018, 09:38:28 AM »

The car thing at least is a reasonable "gee, things have sure changed" train of thought and is somewhat endearing in a regular-old-guy-rambling-on kind of way.

But the "weirdly kind of taking credit for" (well said) the Wrecking Crew's livelihood and ability to buy real estate is just hilariously tone-deaf. I had no idea they were such a charity case.   LOL

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 28 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx