gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680553 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 02:49:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Channel on Sirius XM  (Read 146139 times)
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« on: May 21, 2018, 10:08:02 AM »

Sirius XM announced today that there will be a station dedicated to The Beach Boys.
It will be on channel 4 and run through the summer.
I’m assuming that as in other stations of this sort they will also have music from other groups such as Jan and Dean etc
This will start on Thursday May 24

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
KDS
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 10:19:57 AM »

Considering we have a free trial, and we're going a Memorial Day roadtrip, I'm happy they moved the launch date up to Thursday. 
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 10:28:07 AM »

It would be my dream job to program that station..
I hope they go deeper than the Beatles station.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 12:55:39 PM »

It's great to hopefully hear some deep tracks/live performances on one station. As of now one can hear a BB deep track on Sirius XM if lucky. I heard Slip on Through a couple of days ago, and this morning heard Johnny Carson.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
feelintheflows
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 01:40:45 PM »

It’s About Time! Although starting it now is pretty random. Why not in 2012 ??
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 03:06:45 PM »

It used to occasionally happen that when a radio station made its debut or launched a new format, it would play one song repeatedly for an extended time - to get people talking about it. This was often done when the change was intended as a surprise.

In 1981 WAKY AM in Louisville where I lived then decided to switch from Top 40 to oldies. Rather than announce this in advance the station just played Purple People Eater at 6 am one Tuesday morning.

And played it again and again....for the next 24 hours. Nothing but Purple People Eater. That was one way to learn all the words of the song real quick. And it sure got people talking, so that when the song finally stopped and the station played other oldies, people tuned in.

So I’m thinking Sirius XM should do something to get people across the nation talking about the new BBs channel, by playing one track over and over for 24 hours. My choice would be this one - digitally cleaned up of course
https://youtu.be/tnyGklpCc84
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 03:37:10 PM »

It’s certainly a good way to promote that orchestral album.

jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 04:32:48 PM »

It used to occasionally happen that when a radio station made its debut or launched a new format, it would play one song repeatedly for an extended time - to get people talking about it. This was often done when the change was intended as a surprise.

In 1981 WAKY AM in Louisville where I lived then decided to switch from Top 40 to oldies. Rather than announce this in advance the station just played Purple People Eater at 6 am one Tuesday morning.

And played it again and again....for the next 24 hours. Nothing but Purple People Eater. That was one way to learn all the words of the song real quick. And it sure got people talking, so that when the song finally stopped and the station played other oldies, people tuned in.

So I’m thinking Sirius XM should do something to get people across the nation talking about the new BBs channel, by playing one track over and over for 24 hours. My choice would be this one - digitally cleaned up of course

I LOVE “My Solution”, but come on, if you’re gonna play a Beach Boys song on the radio on repeat for 24 hours, it HAS to be “Ding Dang”, no other options.

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 05:05:22 PM »

Awesome news!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 05:17:17 PM »

That's great news! I hope they play deep cuts and include some of Brian's solo stuff as well.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 05:32:14 PM »

There needs to be a segment on BBs forays into rap.

Smart Girls + Summer of Love + Wipeout. Plus maybe the UK version of Island Fever.
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 05:40:52 PM »

I LOVE “My Solution”, but come on, if you’re gonna play a Beach Boys song on the radio on repeat for 24 hours, it HAS to be “Ding Dang”, no other options.

This clip of DD on repeat for 1 hr 17 mins sure sounds like the song could go on for a whole day and a night
https://youtu.be/fSJD41Y1ZFk
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2018, 08:08:04 PM »

Would those of you who have access to Sirius please report on the interviews here? Thanks!
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2018, 08:27:11 PM »

there doesn't always HAVE to be a complaint, you know
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2018, 08:55:02 PM »

COMMENT:  

This has been in the works for some time. XM has been doing interviews of all the guys, support people, friends, associates, reviewers, etc. I have given some stories and talked on topics for an upcoming show. This is quite the project for XM. A lot of people are putting in a lot of time.

>>>  http://blog.siriusxm.com/sail-into-summer-with-the-beach-boys-exclusive-siriusxm-channel/

Should be a good listen on XM channel 4 as it unfolds over the summer.  For the first time, Beach Boys on the radio -- coast to coast -- Keep'n the Summer Alive 24/7.

~Stephen W. Desper

Sail into summer with The Beach Boys’ exclusive SiriusXM channel!
May 21, 2018

The Beach Boys, the groundbreaking and GRAMMY Award®-winning American rock band, will launch an exclusive fulltime summer-long SiriusXM channel, Good Vibrations: The Beach Boys Channel, on Thursday, May 24.

Good Vibrations: The Beach Boys Channel gives SiriusXM listeners a channel that, for an entire summer, will evoke sunshine, surf, cool cars, and good times. The channel will feature not only the band’s hits and rarities, it will also include guest DJs and stories from original band members Brian Wilson, Mike Love and Al Jardine, along with longtime keyboardist and vocalist Bruce Johnston, guitarist David Marks, and percussionist John Stamos, all discussing song inspiration, their careers and lives on the road, memories of founding members Carl and Dennis Wilson, and, of course, a whole lot of fun, fun, fun.

Subscribers will also hear alternative and live versions of their favorite songs, studio chatter, rarely heard rehearsal takes, and anecdotes about The Beach Boys from other musicians and celebrities. Listener requests will be taken on 833-FUNFUNFUN.

This year marks the 30th anniversary of The Beach Boys’ induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. And the band has just announced the June 8 release of The Beach Boys With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (Capitol/UMe), an album that pairs The Beach Boys’ original vocal performances with new symphonic arrangements, recently recorded by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra at Abbey Road Studios.

Singer, songwriter, producer, arranger and co-founder Brian Wilson underscores the importance of the channel. “People need to be sung to,” he said.

“Hearing our music on the radio for the first time was quite a moving experience. We hope that with this SirusXM channel, The Beach Boys have yet another way to sing to the people.”

“It’s a blessing that as kids from Southern California we were able to document our lives and share that experience with our music. We’re excited that Good Vibrations: The Beach Boys Channel allows everyone to continue to share that experience,” said Mike Love, singer, songwriter, and co-founder.

Al Jardine, The Beach Boy’s rhythm guitarist, vocalist and co-founder spoke to SiriusXM about the channel, “We’ve always said the magic musical serum is joy, and we all need more joy in our lives. SiriusXM helps us bring that joy to all of our fans – past, present, and future.”

“What a thrill it is for us to work with SiriusXM on an exclusive The Beach Boys channel,” said Jerry Schilling, President of Brother Records, Inc., The Beach Boys Management Company.  “For the first time, America’s band will be heard coast to coast, 24/7.”

SiriusXM’s Good Vibrations: The Beach Boys Channel will launch on Thursday, May 24 at 12 pm ET and will run through the summer, via satellite on channel 4, and through the SiriusXM app on smartphones and other connected devices, as well as online at http://siriusxm.com.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 09:52:18 PM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2018, 01:18:01 AM »

Awesome news.  Wonder if this includes all the band's solo stuff.  Looking Back With Love, anyone???   Afro

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2018, 04:40:54 AM »

COMMENT:  

This has been in the works for some time. XM has been doing interviews of all the guys, support people, friends, associates, reviewers, etc. I have given some stories and talked on topics for an upcoming show. This is quite the project for XM. A lot of people are putting in a lot of time.

>>>  http://blog.siriusxm.com/sail-into-summer-with-the-beach-boys-exclusive-siriusxm-channel/

Should be a good listen on XM channel 4 as it unfolds over the summer.  For the first time, Beach Boys on the radio -- coast to coast -- Keep'n the Summer Alive 24/7.

~Stephen W. Desper

Nice!  Smiley

NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2018, 05:53:03 AM »

I don't mind Stamos playing with the group, but it's so odd that he's listed as if he was an actual band member.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2018, 06:37:11 AM »

Hopefully someone will be able to tell us (or we'll find out soon enough by listening) what the "alternative and live versions of their favorite songs, studio chatter, rarely heard rehearsal takes" will consist of. Will this simply be stuff pulled from previous archival releases, or are they going into the archives for stuff that hasn't ever been released? If so, hopefully someone will be able to capture this stuff for posterity.

While it was a number of years back (2009 I believe?), there was a lot of excitement when an all-McCartney channel was launched on Sirius XM and it was touted as having rare stuff. While they did pull in some rare b-sides and stuff like that, they didn't really delve into actual previously unreleased material.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2018, 08:37:26 AM »

Considering the amount of "unreleased" material that has been released officially, and that includes the various copyright extension releases up to "Sunshine Tomorrow", they have plenty to pull from for Sirius. Add in the various box sets and sessions sets, and there is enough to sprinkle in without digging into the - to use an old term - "unbooted" material.

Keep in mind that for as much of this as the diehard fans are considered potential listeners, with the addition of Stamos and the PR copy that came with the press release, this is geared toward people who will tune in expecting to hear sun, surf, cars, and Kokomo when they dial in this channel. Meaning they have to appeal to that demographic perhaps first and foremost, and hitting that crowd's ears with obscure session material for a majority of their listening time might not be the primary goal.

However, what it could do is plant the seeds for more session and unreleased material to get into the pipeline, since those fans most likely will not have heard anywhere near the volume of unreleased material that people reading this board have heard. So it will be "new" to them, and there might be a reaction of "wow, I want to hear more of this...". They don't know what SOT or Vigotone means, and probably were unaware how much new unheard material came out on the yearly copyright extension releases.

Which, of course, sets the table for hypothetical releases like I was plugging on another thread, "The Making Of..." where all of the session tapes for any number of the stone-cold Beach Boys classic hits gets presented unexpurgated and unedited like an audio journal of how someone's favorite classic track actually developed in the studio.

Again, just thank me in the credits when that happens...  LOL

« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 08:38:39 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2018, 08:44:55 AM »

Hopefully someone will be able to tell us (or we'll find out soon enough by listening) what the "alternative and live versions of their favorite songs, studio chatter, rarely heard rehearsal takes" will consist of. Will this simply be stuff pulled from previous archival releases, or are they going into the archives for stuff that hasn't ever been released? If so, hopefully someone will be able to capture this stuff for posterity.

While it was a number of years back (2009 I believe?), there was a lot of excitement when an all-McCartney channel was launched on Sirius XM and it was touted as having rare stuff. While they did pull in some rare b-sides and stuff like that, they didn't really delve into actual previously unreleased material.

Hey Jude: The precedent and perhaps the bar itself was set almost impossibly high with the "Lost Lennon Tapes" back in the 80's. Maybe it was set too high...30 years ago at this point...but that's not saying a similar effort could not be done with any number of artists. However, when that first episode aired (and I remember listening!), Lennon's murder was not even a decade old at that point and the name "John Lennon" at that time carried a cache and clout that I don't think has been matched in terms of interest from fans in hearing unreleased and rare tapes broadcast in sometimes low quality over FM radio.

I guess my point is, if the Lennon estate and Elliot Mintz et al could pull that off in the 80's, and keep the show running on commercial radio for several years, why haven't others followed suit or come anywhere near the levels the Lost Lennon Tapes reached in terms of truly opening up the vaults for the fans?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2018, 08:55:16 AM »

Each case is different, and it's all about expectations. The press release for the BB channel specifically does not mention previously-unreleased material. So, given the hours and hours of unreleased material that has already been put out, I would indeed expect the channel to revolve mostly around hits, and then some "deep cuts", and then previously released archival live and studio sessions stuff.

"The Lost Lennon Tapes" was a whole other ball of wax, and was almost a luckly fluke/anomaly.

Every subsequent time a Beatles-related thing of that nature came around, fans expected/hoped for another "Lost Lennon Tapes." When McCartney did his "Oobu Joobu" show in 1995, it was kind of a hodge podge of random stuff with some amount of unreleased material sprinkled in by McCartney. But some of it wasn't that interesting (soundcheck performances), and some of the interesting stuff was truncated and/or had voiceover, etc. "Lost McCartney Tapes" it was not.

With McCartney's 2009 Sirius XM channel, I'd have to go back and read the old press releases and articles, but I think they did put out at least one arguably misleading statement that strongly implied they'd be airing *previously unreleased* material. And they didn't, with the possible exception of a few then-recent live show recordings.

Sirius XM is a place where both casual listening audiences can go, and also where there are some pretty deep-cut style things being airead. A 24-hour channel should allow for both. But yes, I think this channel will not be focused that much on hardcore fans.

It'll be interesting to see what materializes. I might consider a trial (I think my cable provider used to air SiriusXM channels, but now they use some crummy "Music Choice" service).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2018, 11:01:37 AM »

I was remembering The Lost Lennon Tapes even before you guys started discussing them. At the time they began -- 1988 if memory serves? -- I was in high school and just getting into The Beatles and Lennon solo in a big way, so it was perfect timing. I was super excited about the series & each week I was taping a show onto an audio cassette as it aired. Loved those Dylan parodies most of all!

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2018, 06:52:52 PM »

The fact that Staymohs is even associated with the band and thereby a part of this addition to Sirius programming is downright shocking. I'm sure that this came about because of his relationship with everyone's favorite clown myKe luHv, who can always be counted upon to schmaltz up a worthy project like this. I'm sure it was HIS way or the hiway. The good thing is I can go to another channel when I hear either one of them. Leave it to luHv to muck up the legacy. Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Lady Lynda
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2018, 08:33:43 PM »

Just heard this news this morning on my way to work.  Can't wait to hear this over the summer!!  Should be great!!!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 28 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx