gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:42:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Let's Stick Together  (Read 2318 times)
D Cunningham
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 19, 2018, 11:57:16 AM »

At the risk of raising an old topic...

Does anybody know where to find a good copy of this?  ("This" being "Let's Stick Together"
a Sweet Insanity era recording).  I've got it on the Vigotone 23-track cd called "Come Back, Brian",
but the quality is fairly meh.

I wish it were on the Vigotone 16-track Sweet Insanity cd, which found better-quality recordings.

And I wonder if "Let's Stick Together" has not received its due... for its marvelous messy
country gazebo-band arrangement.  For its legitimate message of hope for a relationship just starting,
recognizing the carnival aspect of life and love... supported by Brian's robust vocal
and lovely "whoa...oa..oa..oa" at the end. 

If only I had a great quality copy.

Seems to be the much stronger result when compared to "The Waltz" from that horrid
later Brian album. That rewrite seems forced...both in Brian's vocal and Parks' words.

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 01:11:54 AM »

Count me in as a fan of this song.

Unfortunately the copy I have sounds murky as hell but it's still obvious that this is a lovely song with a sweet arrangement. Some of the Sweet Insanity songs are pretty weird (Thank You, Smart Girls), but this is a very strong one that is proof how the creative spark was still there even in the later Landy period.

I also agree about The Waltz. I really, really wanted to like that song initially because it was so quirky (something painfully absent from the whole of Imagination) but I had to realize it's not quirky in a good way. VDP's lyrics and Brian's singing sound like they both didn't care. Hard to believe this came from the very same songwriting partnership that gave the world Cabinessence!
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 01:28:51 AM »

Wow I'd thought I'd heard most of the Sweet Insanity stuff, but it's not on the *cough* bootleg *cough* I have of those sessions. For a second I figured it was a cover of that blues song that Bryan Ferry and Canned Heat covered!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 01:29:18 AM by SamMcK » Logged
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 07:45:50 AM »

Love it!  Middle eight needs to expanded into a full song imo.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx