gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:47:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Latest Issue of Guitar Player...  (Read 6074 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: May 08, 2018, 08:30:37 PM »

...has an interview with Mr. Scott Totten - worth checking out!
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 03:48:02 PM »

For anyone like me who doesn't subscribe, I found the article online...

https://www.guitarplayer.com/players/good-vibrations
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 02:07:23 AM »

Thanks, ASL. A heartwarming interview. Mr Totten posts occasionally across the road.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Forrest Gump
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 01:31:59 PM »

Thanks, ASL. A heartwarming interview. Mr Totten posts occasionally across the road.

And it is a shame that such a valuable person to a message board refuses to post here now due to one, shall we say, "long winded" , bullying member. A big loss to this board.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 01:41:43 PM »

Let it go Steve Mayo, I used to respect the hell out of you before AGD's actions here!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 07:44:27 PM »

And it is a shame that such a valuable person to a message board refuses to post here now due to one, shall we say, "long winded" , bullying member. A big loss to this board.

Go f*** yourself.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 07:51:33 PM »

Go f*** yourself.

Drinking Buddies Thumbs Up Thumbs Up w00t! w00t! Happy Dance Bow Rock! Pirate High Five

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 08:26:24 PM »

Go f*** yourself.

Drinking Buddies Thumbs Up Thumbs Up w00t! w00t! Happy Dance Bow Rock! Pirate High Five

pugnacious arrogance is outta here for good!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 08:31:08 PM »

In the immortal words of Harry "The K" Kalas...It's Outta Here.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 08:35:45 PM »

Philly rules! Grin I think I saw OSD shirtless on broad street in 1974 and 2018!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 08:36:23 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 08:42:45 PM »

Philly rules! Grin I think I saw OSD shirtless on broad street in 1974 and 2018!

LOL  and 1980, 2008...2018 *was* extra special though, but I'm still not over '80 or '08. Or for that matter 1983 when Dr. J, Moses, and the guys brought it home. Man, that was fun. Also won't forget Mitch "Wild Thing" Williams beating the damn Braves in '93 NLCS anytime soon.

Don't mess with Philly...  Grin

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 09:10:52 PM »

Mostly a Washington/Chicago guy myself these days! Go capitals!

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 04:29:40 AM »

I thought they were talking about AGD.  LOL
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 07:37:17 AM »

Great interview. Scott is a very cool and humble guy, and I've been lucky enough to speak with him before. He really saved The Beach Boys touring group.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 07:37:47 AM by NateRuvin » Logged
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 07:39:24 AM »

Some interesting insight into Scott's 'process'.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2018, 07:50:22 AM »

No one could call a game like "The K". No One. On a hot, sticky summer day he could cool things off with that voice.  Kool-Aid Man

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2018, 09:09:52 AM »

No one could call a game like "The K". No One. On a hot, sticky summer day he could cool things off with that voice.  Kool-Aid Man

I grew up listening to Harry and "Whitey" Ashburn calling the Phils games, on radio and TV. It spoiled me, there were none better. And I still miss hearing those voices, I'll always associate those sounds with the Phils!

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2018, 09:22:23 AM »

It's an interesting interview and a nice look inside the process of how to translate those original recordings onto the live stage. All of the session outtakes and bootlegs and whatnot really *do* provide arrangers and musical directors a really cool tool to help decipher what the individual parts really were when those records were being cut. Sometimes you can get the info by listening to the outtakes and session reels, and hearing a few seconds of a musician either noodling or rehearsing an individual part, and it's a "Eureeka!" moment where you can actually hear the exact part being played...or for guitar, where or in what fingering a certain part was being played.

The article mentions Scott and Berklee, and not to get in a plug or anything, but the curriculum at Berklee really does give musicians a ton of usable skills and methods for doing the kind of work Scott does as the M D of the band. You don't even realize it sometimes until the call comes in to dissect and arrange parts as described in the article, and you realize all of those classes that seemed tedious or redundant were actually giving us the tools that would make these things much easier and streamlined as a process...from breaking down vocal parts to dealing out instrumental parts or orchestrations.

Neat article!

Semi-related...Just last week I "discovered" a rhythm guitar part in a Beatles tune I have been playing (and teaching) for years, and it floored me. It was a chance, random thing where I pulled the 1/8" jack out halfway to hear one channel of the stereo mix in order to isolate a particular part, and BOOM...there was a guitar part which I think Lennon played that just slayed me. And now if I find any of the many Beatle tribute bands and shows covering this tune on YouTube, I will be listening to see if their "Lennon" is nailing that mostly hidden but awesome rhythm guitar part during the show. lol.

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2018, 09:33:38 AM »

Semi-related...Just last week I "discovered" a rhythm guitar part in a Beatles tune I have been playing (and teaching) for years, and it floored me. It was a chance, random thing where I pulled the 1/8" jack out halfway to hear one channel of the stereo mix in order to isolate a particular part, and BOOM...there was a guitar part which I think Lennon played that just slayed me. And now if I find any of the many Beatle tribute bands and shows covering this tune on YouTube, I will be listening to see if their "Lennon" is nailing that mostly hidden but awesome rhythm guitar part during the show. lol.

Which song?

Every wave is new until it breaks.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2018, 11:40:06 AM »

Which song?

If I Needed Someone

Get the stereo mix and a player with a balance control. Isolate one of the channels during the guitar solo and you'll hear a killer rhythm guitar part that resembles songs like "Western Union" by The Five Americans and a handful of classic Byrds tracks. It gets all but buried in the full mix, but if you pan hard to the channel that has this part, it's right there.

It was new to me, and I've been listening very closely to Beatles tracks for decades, so this was pretty cool to"discover" by accident! Great part - Pure country rock rhythm guitar hiding underneath a terrific and underlooked mid-60's pop classic from George Harrison that previews the guitar style he would later use to write Here Comes The Sun.

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2018, 02:22:38 PM »

Which song?

If I Needed Someone

Get the stereo mix and a player with a balance control. Isolate one of the channels during the guitar solo and you'll hear a killer rhythm guitar part that resembles songs like "Western Union" by The Five Americans and a handful of classic Byrds tracks. It gets all but buried in the full mix, but if you pan hard to the channel that has this part, it's right there.

It was new to me, and I've been listening very closely to Beatles tracks for decades, so this was pretty cool to"discover" by accident! Great part - Pure country rock rhythm guitar hiding underneath a terrific and underlooked mid-60's pop classic from George Harrison that previews the guitar style he would later use to write Here Comes The Sun.

Well, that was a fun exercise, thanks! It never gets old discovering these little details in Beach Boys and Beatles music. Even after years of close listening. That guitar part is one of those parts that doesn't stand out (obviously), but if it weren't there you'd notice. He doesn't repeat it when they reprise that instrumental break at the end of the song (nor does Ringo ride the crash cymbal), so it's cool to A/B those sections to pick up on the difference. In the end, it's just a very minor detail, but it sure is fun to discover (and listen for). As for the underlooked George Harrison classic that is "If I Needed Someone", I'll never get over those 3 part harmonies. I love that vocal group dynamic where it's George's song but when they break out in 3 part harmony John's voice is the most prominent. It's exciting. That's one of my favorite aspects of both the Beatles and the Beach Boys music.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2018, 06:33:04 PM »

Scott has absolutely saved Mike's band and career.  Mike needs someone to tell him what they are going to do and how in a strong way , because if it's up to Mike without a strong musical director, the band would never rehearse because Mike hates rehearsing and you get 1981/1999 esque performances.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx