gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 07:29:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys in Glastonbury comeback talks after not so Good Vibrations since 2012  (Read 17971 times)
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2018, 09:38:57 AM »

I suppose for me, the name The Beach Boys is no longer particularly important. Of course it is famous and a reunion tour would probably be well attended but Brian's own shows are unlikely to be improved by the addition of Mike and Bruce. There will probably be the usual disagreements about direction, with Mike wanting to do more old style things and some of Brian's more melancholic numbers not to his taste. I don't like the usual backdrop of young bodies on the beach and beach balls being thrown about but that's just personal taste.

'Do it Again' seems to be more than just a song to Mike but a personal motto. I think perhaps it's 'Time to Get Alone'.

Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2018, 12:35:52 PM »

Everything Jude said is right.

2012 was a beautiful fluke.

The ultimate fact is that. . .

The vault is the reunion.
The vault is the star.
The vault is the future.

Whatever else happens -- be it joint promotional events, outsourced musical products -- it's what's in those vaults that MATTERS.
Everything else is everything else.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2018, 01:06:35 PM »

The vault is the star.
The vault is the future.

Whatever else happens -- be it joint promotional events, outsourced musical products -- it's what's in those vaults that MATTERS.

100% on the money

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2018, 02:28:39 PM »

The vault is the star.
The vault is the future.

Cool Guy
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2018, 12:43:55 PM »

Count me in for a reunion.  I'd like them to take one last shot at it in the studio and the road.  I would buy a ticket.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2018, 01:36:28 PM »

Count me in for a reunion.  I'd like them to take one last shot at it in the studio and the road.  I would buy a ticket.

I’d like them to take one last shot in the studio only.
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2018, 02:02:25 PM »

I would like them to take a full CD shot in the studio....which might or might not be the last CD of new stuff.
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2018, 02:23:03 PM »

I believe there's definitely should be something--new that is--so that the Beach Boys can go out with a certified bang

and it's definitely not gleaning through every last bit of unidentified old tapes to try to pull another archival song recording rabbit out of the hat.  I say that as tantalizing as some of that old material can prove to be
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2018, 06:31:14 PM »

So you think a "NEW" album is the way to go out with a bang?
You seem to think that a new album would be/mean more than TWGMTR / NPP / UNLEASH.

It would be EXACTLY that.
Those are the bangs.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2018, 06:58:31 PM »

A new album is hypothetical as the same story tells of Mikes preference to tour. A Brian story from last year (unsure where) said he wouldn’t do a C50 style tour again. Basically both a tour and album are off the table IMO.

But anyway, TWGMTR was 50% magical for me because of Brian’s songs. The rest? Meeh! Given time and commitment I still think a PS2 would be feasible. Low sales but a slow burner. For that reason labels wouldn’t be interested.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2018, 07:13:37 PM »

There is so much in those vaults -- so much A-quality brilliant work, just laying there only getting MORE unheard and MORE unreleased.

This isn't simply alternate takes of "Sexy Sadie" or "Racing In The Street" with different lyrics: this is MAJOR S HIT. Important work. Art that changes the story. Art that will inspire more and NEW art.

Paying the proper attention to issuing this unheard music -- studio and live -- should be the primary goal for all involved.  
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 07:46:33 PM by Howie Edelson » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2018, 08:08:32 PM »

There is so much in those vaults -- so much A-quality brilliant work, just laying there only getting MORE unheard and MORE unreleased.

This isn't simply alternate takes of "Sexy Sadie" or "Racing In The Street" with different lyrics: this is MAJOR S HIT. Important work. Art that changes the story. Art that will inspire more and NEW art.

Paying the proper attention to issuing this unheard music -- studio and live -- should be the primary goal for all involved. 

I personally am stoked to hear whatever vault recordings we might hear, especially if we get to hear unrecorded Brian stuff from the so-called "lost" years

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2018, 10:31:36 PM »

One aspect of the reunion tour that bothered me was how little of the new songs they played live.
If they were planning to do it again, it should be an album that all the guys are involved in, not just a Brian project that they sing on. And they should spend enough time in tour rehearsals to make the new songs part of the show.
And I seriously can't imagine any of the above happening.
So open up those vaults!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2018, 06:21:28 AM »

One aspect of the reunion tour that bothered me was how little of the new songs they played live.
If they were planning to do it again, it should be an album that all the guys are involved in, not just a Brian project that they sing on. And they should spend enough time in tour rehearsals to make the new songs part of the show.
And I seriously can't imagine any of the above happening.
So open up those vaults!

I never viewed the lack of more "new album" songs in the live show as a huge deal. Even back in the 70s and 80s they usually only did a few songs off each new album. I guess a live stab at a few others like "Spring Vacation" might have sounded interesting. But I don't think hearing one or two more new album songs would have made a difference. It was their first tour together in eons; I'd rather have heard them do "Marcella" or even "Getcha Back", etc.

As it was, the two "new" songs on the tour were some of the *very few* songs in the live show in 2012 that often sounded kind of wonky. The title track "TWGMTR" often sounded near going off the rails for whatever reason. Meanwhile, "Isn't It Time" weirdly used a bit of canned backing. "Summer's Gone" sounded okay, but they only got two stabs at it before the tour ended. So while a stab at "Spring Vacation" or "From Here to Back Again/Pacific Coast Highway" might have been interesting, I don't think that aspect was a big deal.

As for a new group studio album not being largely a Brian-helmed project, it all depends on the material. I think the best material should be proffered, regardless of who wrote it. It appears Bruce's main input on those album sessions was an inexplicable remake/partial re-recording of "She Believes in Love Again" with Foskett singing Carl's parts. That idea reaks of "Japan-only bonus track" status or "Best Buy bonus track" status *at best.*

I've often said Brian probably should have placated Mike and tried a few "from scratch" collaborations if that would have warmed Mike to the project more. But I'm not convinced how good that type of material would have been. It would have either been kind of like what we got on the album (Brian bringing in a partially-written old song rather than truly writing it "from scratch", and then having Mike add lyrics), or something like the stuff on Mike's eventual solo album which wasn't exactly A-list material either.

The truth of the 2012 album was that it only got done because Brian had already molded a good hunk of the album, and because it was the Brian/Joe songs that Capitol greenlighted and wanted for the most part. If they did *another* album, then again I'd say at best it might be advisable to at least *try* a Brian/Mike, "non-Joe" collaboration. But it also sounds like some good TWGMTR outtakes are extant as well.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 06:44:18 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2018, 06:36:37 AM »

Numerous boxed sets (or "digital boxed sets", whatever) need to make it out, one of which needs to be a Brian "Bedroom Tapes" set. Yes, that moniker would almost certainly be something of a misnomer. But it would be a great marketing hook to put Brian's late 60s/70s (and maybe even 80s) material out.

In conjunction, something focused on the rest of the group's *great* unreleased material from this time frame is also a must. They all deserve the game-changing reassessment when it comes their material from this era.

Just the stuff we *know about* is game-changing; just the stuff on that "Brother Rarities Proposed Bonus Tracks" spread is game-changing, and that was compiled nearly *TWENTY* years ago before they knew of everything that was in the vaults. And then think about the stuff we *haven't* heard from the 70s and 80s.

It's true; while it would certainly be interesting to hear a true group followup to TWGMTR, such a project seems somewhat unlikely. Frankly, even in the unlikely event that they *did* do another reunion, we may *still* not get another studio album out of it. It would probably cause less political problems if they just went back out on the road.

Meanwhile, something they can do whether they're together or splintered is a robust archival program. It's a win-win-win for everybody. Cheap to do. Free money for everybody, and nothing but a legacy-enhancer for everybody. They can meanwhile also push "Sounds of Summer" every summer too if they feel the need.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 06:59:11 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2018, 07:06:31 AM »

What I hope BRI might be able to do at some point is what The Beatles/Apple does now, something that seemed like a crazy pipe dream 20 or 30 years ago. They all cross-promote solo and group stuff. Apple pushes Beatles stuff and solo stuff (including solo off-shoot projects like the Harrison estate pushing old Ravi Shankar albums), and their respective solo pages (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) push each others' solo stuff and group stuff.

I think the official "Beach Boys" Facebook does push group and solo stuff. But Mike's Facebook page should be pushing a reissue of Al's "Postcards" and Brian's latest album. Brian and Al should be linking to "Unleash the Love", and so on. No, this all isn't ideal, but they could create some easy marketing synergy here, and pave the way for the *true* point of it all, which would be a huge cross-promotional push for the archives.

Bundle all that s**t together. Bundle three solo albums from Brian, Al, and Mike with three discs of archival material. All sorts of stuff they could be doing.

They need to get this stuff out so that fans aren't left pondering whether to buy a grey-market "Record Store Day" EP made from an old VHS dub of the Beach Boys singing "Little Cycle" on the Andy Williams Show.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2018, 10:16:51 AM »

What I hope BRI might be able to do at some point is what The Beatles/Apple does now, something that seemed like a crazy pipe dream 20 or 30 years ago. They all cross-promote solo and group stuff. Apple pushes Beatles stuff and solo stuff (including solo off-shoot projects like the Harrison estate pushing old Ravi Shankar albums), and their respective solo pages (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) push each others' solo stuff and group stuff.

I think the official "Beach Boys" Facebook does push group and solo stuff. But Mike's Facebook page should be pushing a reissue of Al's "Postcards" and Brian's latest album. Brian and Al should be linking to "Unleash the Love", and so on. No, this all isn't ideal, but they could create some easy marketing synergy here, and pave the way for the *true* point of it all, which would be a huge cross-promotional push for the archives.

Bundle all that s**t together. Bundle three solo albums from Brian, Al, and Mike with three discs of archival material. All sorts of stuff they could be doing.

They need to get this stuff out so that fans aren't left pondering whether to buy a grey-market "Record Store Day" EP made from an old VHS dub of the Beach Boys singing "Little Cycle" on the Andy Williams Show.

No label in their right mind would bundle the solo albums together with the archival. For one thing the solo album from Mike is on a different label, as were his earlier solo albums. Same with Al. The only band member who had solo albums on Capitol was Brian, and he has his own thing going with his solo releases.

I think bundling, say, Unleash The Love with unreleased or archival material would be a *big* mistake. And I can't see Capitol signing on. If Capitol had wanted Mike's solo efforts, they would have signed him to a deal like they did Brian. If they were to buy the rights to release Mike's solo stuff, the only person who would benefit is Mike. And Mike's fans have pretty much already bought what they wanted at this point, why would they be forced to re-buy just to get vault material? Won't happen.

The solo Beatles comparison isn't quite a valid one. All four Beatles released their initial batches of solo material on Apple, their own label. It was later into the 70's when they went on different labels or did their own labels. The only solo releases EMI and Apple would be bundling or cross-promoting would be those early releases which were all on the Apple label from the beginning, and that included John, Paul, George, and Ringo solo releases and singles which aside from a few later exceptions are and were the strongest sellers in that catalogue of solo Beatle efforts. Unless Capitol/EMI or whatever offshoot acquires the rights like Lennon's Double Fantasy came out eventually on Capitol even though the original label was Geffen.

I can't imagine, say, bundling "Ringo's Rotogravure" with some Beatles outtakes or vault material in any kind of realistic scenario any more than I could see Unleash The Love bundled with similar BB's vault goodies.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2018, 12:16:08 PM »

I'm just spitballing ideas. The main point is that they could easily achieve some marketing synergy *even if* they hate each other's guts and can't stand to be in the same room together.

If they were to bundle stuff, it wouldn't be at the distributor/label level. It would be a "Beach Boys" online storefront sort of deal, like Mike bundling those ugly shirts with his CD or bundling a new CD with a t-shirt, etc. It could all be from different labels/distributors.

As far as cross-promoting, not only are the pre-1976 solo albums *not* all owned by the same entity (MPL owns the rights to McCartney's full solo catalog, so he has licensed even his early stuff out to both EMI and Hear Music/Concord, and even Columbia back in the 80s), there *has* been modern-day cross-promotion for their solo projects on a variety of labels. The Beatles' Facebook (and e-mail list) has promoted recent Ringo solo albums, recent McCartney solo albums, off-shoot projects having nothing to do with record labels, etc. They push the Genesis Publications Harrison books, and so on.

As long as all of the Beatles/estates own the name and thus the respective social media platforms, they can (and do) cross promote everything. It's good for everything and every one. Similarly, any BRI-owned trademarks should take control of social media and cross-promote everything. I actually do believe the Beach Boys' social media platforms do promote some solo projects. But Mike and Brian should be cross-posting stuff, and so on. If for not other reason than to *make* them more interested in archival projects. I'd gladly let Mike bundle "Unleash the Love" on a Beach Boys online store front with a disc or new archival material.

Yes, ideally we wouldn't be forced to buy one to get the other. But a "beachboys.com" website where you can buy *everything* would be a nice start.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 12:17:24 PM by HeyJude » Logged

Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2018, 12:48:22 PM »

Slightly off track -- I'd say we're about 5 years aware from The Beatles 1970-1975 solo tracks being packaged together in some type of comp under the "BEATLES" brand.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2018, 01:17:58 PM »

Slightly off track -- I'd say we're about 5 years aware from The Beatles 1970-1975 solo tracks being packaged together in some type of comp under the "BEATLES" brand.

This seems even more likely considering how playlists can already be programmed on Spotify, etc. where most anything can be lumped together.

It's ironically the BBs that could arguably benefit even more from such an organizational readjustment, giving a bunch of solo stuff new life. The Carl solo album reissues of the last few years didn't exactly burn up the charts. The DW POB reissue from like a decade ago was great, but subsequent Dennis stuff has stalled.

There would obviously be more to sort out and deals to be brokered as compared to early era solo Beatles, where EMI owns nearly everything and the stuff they don't is owned by MPL (which currently is back to being distributed by Capitol/UMe/EMI).

The BBs did a tiny dry run with this with that Hallmark "Songs from Here and Back" CD, mixing previously unreleased BB live tracks with a few solo tracks.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2018, 07:43:02 PM »

There were cases where the Facebook "Beach Boys" official page seemed to turn into more of Mike's Beach Boys Facebook page. But I digress.

Let's just say there is a lot of fence that needs to be mended before the kind of Kum-Bye-A synergy happens in terms of a true cross-promotional opportunity. And that's just personal issues, not even factoring in the labels and existing deals.

I mean, we're dealing with an organization who didn't even list "Summer In Paradise" on published discographies, let alone promoting individual solo works across label lines and deals. With two Beatles deceased and a back catalog which is perhaps the strongest brand name in popular music, the comparisons to Beach Boys solo releases are night and day different.

Beach Boys solo releases are and realistically will always be a niche market. Once people buy Carl's solo work, then Dennis, and then Mike's, and then Al's...that's about it. They've bought it and they have it. Brian's solo releases are a niche market too but that niche carries with it a lot more cache and an expected audience who wants to hear what he will come out with musically because he has a brand name through his productions and arrangements. That's why Brian's most recent solo effort was a Capitol release and Mike's was not.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2018, 08:16:03 AM »

There were cases where the Facebook "Beach Boys" official page seemed to turn into more of Mike's Beach Boys Facebook page. But I digress.

Let's just say there is a lot of fence that needs to be mended before the kind of Kum-Bye-A synergy happens in terms of a true cross-promotional opportunity. And that's just personal issues, not even factoring in the labels and existing deals.

I mean, we're dealing with an organization who didn't even list "Summer In Paradise" on published discographies, let alone promoting individual solo works across label lines and deals. With two Beatles deceased and a back catalog which is perhaps the strongest brand name in popular music, the comparisons to Beach Boys solo releases are night and day different.

Beach Boys solo releases are and realistically will always be a niche market. Once people buy Carl's solo work, then Dennis, and then Mike's, and then Al's...that's about it. They've bought it and they have it. Brian's solo releases are a niche market too but that niche carries with it a lot more cache and an expected audience who wants to hear what he will come out with musically because he has a brand name through his productions and arrangements. That's why Brian's most recent solo effort was a Capitol release and Mike's was not.

With The Beatles, you had the band and then they split up. The Beach Boys, noted for harmony, were so divided in their attitude to the direction they should take that even though they were still together for much longer, they weren't exactly 'singing from the same hymn sheet'. Mike and Bruce's version of the band truly reflects only a part of its history. It's as the Jack Rieley quote suggests ('They blew it, they continue to blow it...') - that because they continued to mess things up, some of their best music didn't receive the attention it so richly deserved and they were feted for music about the summer. It's as if The Beatles' reputation rested on She Loves You, Twist and Shout, Please Please Me.

The C50 reunion repaired a bit of that damage and The Beach Boys reminded people of what they had once been. And then it ended disastrously and they seized defeat from the jaws of victory.

I'd love to hear more about the treasures in the vault, particularly anything of Brian's or Dennis's. I'm intrigued by 'Behold the Night' which has been mentioned here before. 'My Love Lives On' from Made in California was brilliant. A friend of mine, himself a musician, heard it first on headphones whilst out running. He was so moved it left him in tears.
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2018, 08:37:45 AM »

I trust Howie's judgement. Hopefully, his powers of persuasion can extract these gems. from the vaults onto sale
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2018, 09:30:26 AM »

You know what I think would be a slam-bang idea for a marketable and perhaps more widely appealing "vault" project?

Take the "hits" everyone knows, let's call them the "Endless Summer" or "Sounds Of Summer" or whatever...you know what they are...and package those which have extensive session tapes in the vaults as "The Making Of..."

So you'd get all the takes of hits like California Girls, I Get Around, whatever the case...presented in sequence and NOT (I repeat ***NOT***) edited or futzed with in any way, leading up to both the original 45rpm single mix from the original release as well as a fresh, modern remix or remaster.

No gimmicks, no whatever...just the glorious raw tapes as us diehards have been hearing on SOT and other bootlegs for the better part of 20+ years. Warts and all. Put a PG-13 or R rating on it if the language is rough at times. But present these hits that have been repackaged to death at this point in a way that shows them as they developed in the studio, and give a glimpse into the creative process that really happened to bring them to life. Warts and all.

I'm sure people not as invested as some of us musicians and fans would love hearing that kind of thing, but NOT edited or cross-faded or whatever else scuttled some similar efforts like the Beatles Anthology and whatnot.

The market would be larger I'd say for this at this point in time because buyers would know the songs...and it opens the door for the more esoteric and unknown vault material if the project(s) generate enough interest and prime the pump.

Thank me in the credits... Grin
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 09:31:01 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2018, 09:56:25 AM »

'My Love Lives On' from Made in California was brilliant. A friend of mine, himself a musician, heard it first on headphones whilst out running. He was so moved it left him in tears.

That song is a mindblowing piece of music, I agree! I think I mentioned it before, but I could see this one used as some kind of ending to a series finale on TV or even in a movie. Anyway, such a great song! I don't know what was wrong in their heads not to release this on an album (if it was ever offered to the band by Dennis)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 10:00:17 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx