gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680553 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 02:45:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds Live - your own edits  (Read 4091 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: May 27, 2016, 09:37:41 AM »

I wonder if anyone ever edited an own "The Beach Boys play Pet Sounds live" album, made up of different live recordings of the songs done either by the Beach Boys or solo by Brian, Al or Mike&Bruce etc. Official or unofficial. Of course some of the tracks have only been played live at Brian's live shows (some including Al). But still there are some pretty fantastic performances apart from that of other songs ("Caroline no" by Carl in 1993 for example) which could make an interesting listen when compiling it all together.
Which recordings and which criteria for choosing them did you use? Quality, scarcity value,....?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
DC310
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 10:52:34 AM »

I would likely pull at least a couple from the 1993 Paramount Theater show.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 02:01:51 AM »

That's interesting. As I said, I'd use "Caroline no" from that show. That version sung by Carl and his 90s voice is almost definite to me. I don't think I ever heard a version by Carl that was not great. But that little smokiness in his voice from this periode just makes for a stunning performance.

But on the other hand, I don't know if I'd use any of the other songs from this show. There are definitely better versions of GOK, WIBNC and SJB imo and the rare "You still believe in me", although a very good version, probably is more to my liking on the In Concert album or maybe the booted one from '71 (haven't listened to the latter in a long time). Or maybe a version by Mike&Bruce or Brian(&Al). I know there's a at least soundboard-quality recording from 2004 of Mike&Bruce doing it, unfortunately still with the pre-recorded original Brian-intro.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 12:39:56 PM »

I'd probably do something like this:

Wouldn't It Be Nice - from In Concert
You Still Believe in Me - Box Set Tour 1993
That's Not Me - BW Live 2000 (I'd love for Mike to do this one live.)
Don't Talk - 1974, Carl vocal (low quality, but still great)
I'm Waiting For the Day - 1975, Billy Hinsche & Al vocal (also low quality, but great)
Let's Go Away for A While - BW Live 2000
Sloop John B. - from Live in London (or maybe Knebworth to include something from the 80s)
God Only Knows - Lei'd in Hawaii (I love this stripped down version, otherwise, the mid 70s arrangement with the horn section was also very good)
I Know There's An Answer - BW Live w/Al & Blondie 2016
Here Today - Mike & Bruce Live 2015 w/orchestra
I Just Wasn't Made for These Times - 2012 reunion tour
Pet Sounds - 2012 reunion tour
Caroline, No - from In Concert
Good Vibrations - 2012 reunion tour

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 05:59:58 PM »

"Sloop" from Nassau - 5/14/79 has always been a favorite of mine.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 10:52:22 AM »

"Sloop" from Nassau - 5/14/79 has always been a favorite of mine.

That's song is not part of my file of that show which I got from "Wolfgang's vault" and was not the complete show. Have to look around to find that. Or did you mean Nassau '74?

I'd probably do something like this:

Wouldn't It Be Nice - from In Concert
You Still Believe in Me - Box Set Tour 1993
That's Not Me - BW Live 2000 (I'd love for Mike to do this one live.)
Don't Talk - 1974, Carl vocal (low quality, but still great)
I'm Waiting For the Day - 1975, Billy Hinsche & Al vocal (also low quality, but great)
Let's Go Away for A While - BW Live 2000
Sloop John B. - from Live in London (or maybe Knebworth to include something from the 80s)
God Only Knows - Lei'd in Hawaii (I love this stripped down version, otherwise, the mid 70s arrangement with the horn section was also very good)
I Know There's An Answer - BW Live w/Al & Blondie 2016
Here Today - Mike & Bruce Live 2015 w/orchestra
I Just Wasn't Made for These Times - 2012 reunion tour
Pet Sounds - 2012 reunion tour
Caroline, No - from In Concert
Good Vibrations - 2012 reunion tour

Thanks for that list! Some nice choices. Regarding GOK I'd agree with the studio version (from Endless Harmony) which is just breathtaking. Dunno about the live performances. I remember Brian shouting to the audience "Shut up, he's singing" or something like that which ruins that performance. I don't remember the other one.
Thankfully "Pet sounds" is one of the good sounding tracks on the latest (and probably last) Beach Boys live album. Do we have a soundboard or multi track of IJWMFTT yet? It was quite a symbol by Brian imo to put that into the setlist back in 2012.
What about Good Vibrations? That one wasn't on Pet Sounds but on Smiley Smile. And rightfully so, if I may add, because in the form the song was eventually released it would have sticked out like a sore thumb on Pet Sounds. It doesn't fit musically in any way and could only have been on the album for commercial reasons I guess.
I agree on "That's not me". Such a great song and recording. I guess Mike could do a nice version of that today and it wouldn't even need any big backing.
Is a soundboard of Mike&Bruce performing "Here today" making the rounds? I don't think I ever heard them doing it, although it's been in the set now and then for years.

I haven't listened to Songs From Here & Back in a long while but I remember it featuring a very good '74 WIBN.

- Jack Rieley
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 07:02:56 AM »

Nope. 1979. SBD.
All six members.
Dennis is listening and cooking.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 11:45:14 AM »

Nope. 1979. SBD.
All six members.

Guess then I have to watch out for that.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 02:18:10 PM »

Nope. 1979. SBD.
All six members.

Guess then I have to watch out for that.

A full soundboard of that '79 show "circulates"; it looks like the "Concert Vault" website has a truncated version of the show available only for streaming that includes "Sloop." (They have an even more severely truncated show from the following night in Springfield, MA).

http://www.concertvault.com/the-beach-boys/nassau-coliseum-may-14-1979.html

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 08:59:52 AM »

I just listened to WIBN from Songs From Here & Back for the first time in years. Great performance, great sound. I think I'd use that one for a Pet Sounds Live edit.

- Jack Rieley
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 09:16:35 AM »

If only there was a decent boot of the recent tour. some of the cuts were great there. Pleasure to My Ears.

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2018, 05:40:18 AM »

Wanted to bump this thread up because I wondered if anyone knows (Alan Boyd? C-Man? Ian?) if the 70s live performances of "Don't talk" and "I'm waiting for the day" were recorded on multitrack or at least if there are radio broadcasts in good quality of them.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx