gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:13:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike's ok with Hologram Tour  (Read 4164 times)
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 10, 2018, 09:55:02 AM »

The article, which discusses the upcoming Orchestral release, spends some time on the concept of a Hologram tour. It sounds like when the Orbison album was issued, a few dates were done with a hologram of him?

Also the article is completely off course by claiming that the M&B UK dates include Brian. How the hell do these things get to the passes??

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/mike-love-says-he-is-not-against-hologram-beach-boys-tour-36893998.html
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 09:58:29 AM »

The article, which discusses the upcoming Orchestral release, spends some time on the concept of a Hologram tour. It sounds like when the Orbison album was issued, a few dates were done with a hologram of him?

Also the article is completely off course by claiming that the M&B UK dates include Brian. How the hell do these things get to the passes??

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/mike-love-says-he-is-not-against-hologram-beach-boys-tour-36893998.html

Oops.  LOL

Time to blame the "sloppy" work of some hapless young intern again.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 10:05:15 AM »

Dammit Mike! Roll Eyes

Time for a certain UK historian to hit the interwebz.... Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
KDS
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 10:18:09 AM »

I really hoped that this hologram thing would be a fad, but it actually appears to be gaining momentum. 
ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 12:17:05 PM »

Please, goodness, no holograms EVER.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 12:51:00 PM »

I doubt we'd see much of any substantive hologram stuff out on tour while Mike is still doing 150 shows per year.

The Orbison show (there are a bunch of videos of it on YouTube) is just weird. The backing band and orchestra sound kind of bland, so it's not even like it's a really *hot* sounding show with a weird hologram. It's kind of an "okay" sounding show with a hologram.

They also had to, I'm assuming in order to make the hologram stand out on a dark stage, put Orbison in a *white suit* even though he wore pretty much all black through the final decade or more of his touring career. They also had to give him a red Gibson ES-335 instead of his usual black. The guitar choice isn't a huge deal, but putting him an Al Jardine-style white suit goes totally against his "look." It's not like they put the Ronnie James Dio hologram in an Armani suit or something.

If no surviving BB principals want to go out and tour at some point, they'd be much better off just doing a "California Saga" style branded show to "keep the name alive."

As with the Orbison album, I'd even say the Orbison hologram tour was at least a tiny bit more justifiable because nobody has been able to see an Orbison show in the last 30 years. Whereas, Mike Love and Brian Wilson/Al Jardine collectively did probably about *250* shows in 2017. There hasn't been a paucity of live BB music out on the touring circuit since the early 1960s between the "touring band", solo tours, and all the offshoots (Papa Doo Run Run, etc.).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 08:43:02 PM »

Of course mike's alright with holograms. "Anything For A Buck" luHv. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 02:01:36 AM »

I guess most decisions they made during the past 35 years have been in poor taste, so why not, go ahead and do your hologram tour.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 04:20:05 AM »

Who created such crazy-lame thing as "hologram tour" in the 1st place should be punished. & I'm being very kind here. Smiley

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 05:03:01 AM »

Who created such crazy-lame thing as "hologram tour" in the 1st place should be punished. & I'm being very kind here. Smiley

My idea of a fitting punishment:

Mike and his people are all being projected onto the stage, and 'performing'. By then, they think playing Summer In Paradise in full is the best representation of the Beach Boys' complete achievements. The band members themselves are enjoying their own performance at home, from a couch perspective.

Then, much to their surprise, a very real and alive Brian Wilson appears on stage, and he simply walks though the projected singers and players, with his impressive physique.

Now, wouldn't that be nice?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
KDS
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 05:35:16 AM »

The first time I remember it being used was Tupac Shakur (sp?) at some award show.   I can't recall who first came up with the idea of touring a hologram.   

But, I think it's a terrible idea.   
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2018, 07:16:16 AM »

What happens when you throw rotten eggs and tomatoes towards a hologram?

In case of a rotten performance, for instance.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2018, 07:21:46 AM »

My idea of a fitting punishment:

Mike and his people are all being projected onto the stage, and 'performing'. By then, they think playing Summer In Paradise in full is the best representation of the Beach Boys' complete achievements. The band members themselves are enjoying their own performance at home, from a couch perspective.

Then, much to their surprise, a very real and alive Brian Wilson appears on stage, and he simply walks though the projected singers and players, with his impressive physique.

Now, wouldn't that be nice?

Nailed!   

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2018, 08:30:34 AM »

The first time I remember it being used was Tupac Shakur (sp?) at some award show.   I can't recall who first came up with the idea of touring a hologram.  

Perhaps not a hologram but I remember there was a lot of debate and controversy when Natalie Cole appeared on stage singing a 'duet' with her late father Nat King Cole on Unforgettable, and Nat's image appeared on a giant screen behind her from an old film clip of him singing the tune.

I think that may have been one of the early examples of this, and if I remember...late 90's they did the Elvis TCB Band tour where the original members like James Burton played an Elvis live set in front of a similar projection of Elvis on screen from previous filmed concerts. I know people who went to that show and loved it, so there ya go.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 08:31:21 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2018, 09:04:08 AM »

It's been a few years since the 'hype' of the Tupac hologram. It doesn't seem to be really catching on in any mainstream way. I can't speak to the technology involved, and if it has been fully realized for use as a full concert type experience.

If it does come to be a viable deal, then I suppose it could find a market as just another form of entertainment category. Although it wouldn't replace the live concert experience (I don't think)

Again, the technology might get to a point where these holograms are very realistic, and have some intuitive features that would differentiate the experience from, say watching a 3D concert film or whatever.

Sort of off topic, but in the Tron sequel, there was a lot of CGI technology used to create a young Jeff Bridges, (to mixed results I suppose). At the time I thought we might start seeing this used to create new material for old stars like John Wayne etc. But that technology hasn't really seemed to move forward either.
KDS
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2018, 09:11:49 AM »

The first time I remember it being used was Tupac Shakur (sp?) at some award show.   I can't recall who first came up with the idea of touring a hologram.  

Perhaps not a hologram but I remember there was a lot of debate and controversy when Natalie Cole appeared on stage singing a 'duet' with her late father Nat King Cole on Unforgettable, and Nat's image appeared on a giant screen behind her from an old film clip of him singing the tune.

I think that may have been one of the early examples of this, and if I remember...late 90's they did the Elvis TCB Band tour where the original members like James Burton played an Elvis live set in front of a similar projection of Elvis on screen from previous filmed concerts. I know people who went to that show and loved it, so there ya go.

I do remember the Cole "duet"

If a band is singing to a video, I don't have as much a problem with that, especially if it's just a song or two.   The Beach Boys have done it with Carl and Dennis.   I saw The Who do the same with Keith and John.    Queen + Paul Rodgers played to a video of Freddie Mercury for a song.   I imagine they still do it with Adam Lambert.   

But, I couldn't imagine watching a band play to a video or a hologram for an entire concert.   In the case of Elvis or Orbison, I'd rather see a band play the songs with guest vocalists, and maybe do a song or two with a video, or, I guess, a hologram.   
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2018, 10:39:00 AM »

While the surviving BB members have shown remarkable stamina health/energy-wise, I would still imagine most "Hologram Tour" scenarios would apply more to the estates/heirs making such calls.

Similar to how it's Orbison's sons making the calls now that Orbison's wife is gone. They've done some good stuff (digging up the old Orbison MGM catalog, a nice "Mystery Girl" reissue, a revamped "Black & White Night" Blu-ray set), but have stalled out on more archival stuff (especially the long-rumored late 80s "Mystery Girl" era tracks that might still be floating around), and the orchestra album and hologram tour are smelling a bit more like actively messing with the Orbison legacy a bit as opposed to tasteful reissues and archival releases.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Toursiveu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2018, 03:57:40 PM »

There's a war going on right now in the Zappa family about the use of a Frank Zappa hologram for a new tour. Ahmet and Diva Zappa want to do it. And since they share control of the Zappa Family trust, to the dismay and anger of their two older siblings, Dweezil and Moon Unit, it's probably going to happen.

God only knows what Frank Zappa would have thought of such a ridiculous idea.

Dweezil and his band formerly known as "Zappa Plays Zappa" have been playing Frank's music for 15 years now and they're nothing short of astonishing. I've seen them five times now. I can't imagine wanting to see "Fake Frank" on stage, even with guest musicians from the old days.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx