gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:42:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Royal Philharmonic Orchestra Album Discussion Thread  (Read 68952 times)
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 12, 2018, 08:07:03 PM »

Forgive me if this was previously discussed, but are people seeing this in stores? Wasn’t in my local Target. Saw it sorted in the Beach Boys section at FYE, but it wasn’t featured in the new releases display or anything.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 12, 2018, 09:58:20 PM »

Forgive me if this was previously discussed, but are people seeing this in stores? Wasn’t in my local Target. Saw it sorted in the Beach Boys section at FYE, but it wasn’t featured in the new releases display or anything.

I bought it at Barnes & Noble, wasn't on display, with the other Beach Boys CDs, it was the only copy out.

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: June 13, 2018, 01:42:41 AM »

I dunno, guys.  Haven't been able to muster up the enthusiasm to listen to this entire thing in full.  What I have listened to at least boasts some interesting mixing nuances, but this album still ultimately remains a cash grab above anything else.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: June 13, 2018, 06:16:37 AM »

Everything released for sale is a "cash grab."

Whether you love or loathe this album (and I think even folks sympathetic to the good things the project portends are at best mixed on this particular album), far more thought (Schilling) and effort (paying for an orchestra) went into this project than something that would be far more of a "cash grab" like doing a "Sounds of Summer II" or something. Or, I dunno, reissuing another bloated "Pet Sounds" set with a few bonus tracks to try to get fans to buy a 27-disc set for five new live tracks.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 13, 2018, 09:18:08 AM »

Apparently more of a projection at this stage, looks like this might hit #4 on the UK charts:

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/brit-winner-jorja-smith-line-170000713.html

That would be amazing and it might have staying power with fathers day coming up etc.

It's currently at 1 on amazon and 2 on itunes which is really remarkable, could easily finish higher.

Are there different charts for the UK with these same retailers?

Yes

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/music/ref=pd_dp_ts_music_1

http://www.itunescharts.net/uk/artists/music/the-beach-boys-royal-philharmonic-orchestra/albums/the-beach-boys-with-the-royal-philharmonic-orchest/
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 03:06:56 PM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: June 13, 2018, 12:13:41 PM »

To fuel pointless reunion rumours and conspiracies, Al mentions in the HMV interview playing live with the RPO at the Royal Albert Hall, and Bruce mentions the same idea when discussing playing the Albert Hall next year on BBC Breakfast this morning...

https://www.hmv.com/music/the-beach-boys-with-the-royal-philharmonic-orchestra-interview-2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSQ155YNolg

That HMV article is truly bizarre. It's worded as if all four of the main guys are all together in one band. The wording of the questions and answers certainly allows for them to be touring in two separate factions, but if one weren't very familiar with the current lineups, they'd read that article and assume all four are actively touring.

Even the articles that don't dig into the weeds when it comes to this stuff usually takes a moment to point out the two different tour lineups.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: June 13, 2018, 12:42:13 PM »

Whether you love or loathe this album (and I think even folks sympathetic to the good things the project portends are at best mixed on this particular album), far more thought (Schilling) and effort (paying for an orchestra) went into this project than something that would be far more of a "cash grab" like doing a "Sounds of Summer II" or something. Or, I dunno, reissuing another bloated "Pet Sounds" set with a few bonus tracks to try to get fans to buy a 27-disc set for five new live tracks.

Sure, but then you get stuff like Endless Harmony, Hawthorne, CA and 1967 - Sunshine Tomorrow which are far more worthwhile pursuits than this.

I can only imagine the thought process involved with this album: How can you repackage the same music yet again?  Let's tack an orchestra to these songs!!!

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 13, 2018, 12:47:38 PM »

Sure, but then you get stuff like Endless Harmony, Hawthorne, CA and 1967 - Sunshine Tomorrow which are far more worthwhile pursuits than this.

I can only imagine the thought process involved with this album: How can you repackage the same music yet again?  Let's tack an orchestra to these songs!!!

It's not a zero sum game. These orchestral albums made money for the Presley and Orbison estates, and one assumes Aretha was compensated as well. Why wouldn't the Beach Boys try it too?

The band's archival releases have their own purpose and schedule -- largely driven by copyright law. No one at BRI is going to stop releasing rarities sets because BB with the RPO comes out. They don't have the same purpose or audience.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 12:48:05 PM by Wirestone » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: June 13, 2018, 12:58:53 PM »

I can only imagine the thought process involved with this album: How can you repackage the same music yet again?  Let's tack an orchestra to these songs!!!

It's not a zero sum game. These orchestral albums made money for the Presley and Orbison estates, and one assumes Aretha was compensated as well. Why wouldn't the Beach Boys try it too?

The band's archival releases have their own purpose and schedule -- largely driven by copyright law. No one at BRI is going to stop releasing rarities sets because BB with the RPO comes out. They don't have the same purpose or audience.

Exactly. The Michigan '66 copyright extension set came out even though they put out a bloated "Pet Sounds" anniversary repackaging that same year.

They've been putting out copyright extension sets every year all while reissuing the old albums on hybrid SACDs, vinyl, etc.

They didn't do the symphonic album *instead* of another project. As I've said, if we don't see anything else interesting for like the rest of this year and next year, then we can maybe start to complain more about what *did* get released, and even *then* it's not likely a case of the symphonic album having *replaced* some other archival project.

Again, they installed Jerry Schilling in the last couple years after seemingly *decades* of non-management from Elliott Lott, and the symphonic album was Schilling's idea. I have a suspicion Schilling was also a BIG part of getting this SiriusXM channel going for the BBs, which is also a big deal. The takeaway here is that they are listening to *and* approving recommendations of Schilling's. What we can hope for next is that Schilling not only continues to spearhead the copyright extension sets, but also *recommends* additional archival plans.

Check out this quick piece on an Elvis event (a SiriusXM event!) from August of 2017 where Schilling talks about the BB's:

https://www.memphisflyer.com/WeSawYou/archives/2017/08/22/jerry-schilling-isaac-hayes-monroe-ave-festival-fight-night-loflin-yard-and-more

The pertinent part:

And, Schilling said, “I’m back managing the Beach Boys after 30 years.”

He was the Beach Boys’ manager for 10 years. “I love their more deeper music. I love it all, but I think there’s a lot more obscure Beach Boys music I wasn’t familiar with in the beginning. We all know ‘Good Vibrations,’ the car songs.”

He particularly likes “Warmth of the Sun” and “Feel Flows.”

“They’re great to work with. And they’re very, very diverse. It’s America’s band. They’re the Beatles of America.”

« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 01:01:54 PM by HeyJude » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: June 13, 2018, 01:06:09 PM »

Also keep in mind that, possibly unlike any number of years in the past, those that *fully understand* not only the demand from hardcore fans but also the *importance* of the BBs archive (that it's not just an asset on a shelf somewhere, but actually even after all these years a game-changing, career/image/perception-enchancer/changer) have the ear of Schilling and others as much as they possibly can.

I don't know what exactly is coming, and we know the political minefield the BB universe will *always* be, but despite the C50 clusterf**k, things on the BRI side of things are looking better than they have in some years.

bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: June 13, 2018, 04:22:12 PM »

Agree with the quality of Disney Girls. Now I want other BB tracks to be remixed to highlight lead vocals in the same was as was done with Bruce. He sounds exquisite!

Dis-a-ney Girls may be my least favorite Beach Boys song ever, but this RPO take is probably the most palatable version of it I've heard.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 13, 2018, 06:19:35 PM »

Exactly. The Michigan '66 copyright extension set came out even though they put out a bloated "Pet Sounds" anniversary repackaging that same year.

They've been putting out copyright extension sets every year all while reissuing the old albums on hybrid SACDs, vinyl, etc.

They didn't do the symphonic album *instead* of another project. As I've said, if we don't see anything else interesting for like the rest of this year and next year, then we can maybe start to complain more about what *did* get released, and even *then* it's not likely a case of the symphonic album having *replaced* some other archival project.

Again, they installed Jerry Schilling in the last couple years after seemingly *decades* of non-management from Elliott Lott, and the symphonic album was Schilling's idea. I have a suspicion Schilling was also a BIG part of getting this SiriusXM channel going for the BBs, which is also a big deal. The takeaway here is that they are listening to *and* approving recommendations of Schilling's. What we can hope for next is that Schilling not only continues to spearhead the copyright extension sets, but also *recommends* additional archival plans.

Check out this quick piece on an Elvis event (a SiriusXM event!) from August of 2017 where Schilling talks about the BB's:

https://www.memphisflyer.com/WeSawYou/archives/2017/08/22/jerry-schilling-isaac-hayes-monroe-ave-festival-fight-night-loflin-yard-and-more

The pertinent part:

And, Schilling said, “I’m back managing the Beach Boys after 30 years.”

He was the Beach Boys’ manager for 10 years. “I love their more deeper music. I love it all, but I think there’s a lot more obscure Beach Boys music I wasn’t familiar with in the beginning. We all know ‘Good Vibrations,’ the car songs.”

He particularly likes “Warmth of the Sun” and “Feel Flows.”

“They’re great to work with. And they’re very, very diverse. It’s America’s band. They’re the Beatles of America.”

Yes!  And the “deeper music” would be Adult Child!  I hope we see that, officially, soon!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 14, 2018, 02:41:27 AM »

Something I noticed upon listening to Heroes and Villains: the "la la la" verse followed by "Stand or fall..." It sounds to me like they found the multitrack master for that section. Is this the case? It sounds very different to the mono only version. I have never heard that section in that mix before. Can anyone confirm this?
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: June 14, 2018, 07:43:12 AM »

Something I noticed upon listening to Heroes and Villains: the "la la la" verse followed by "Stand or fall..." It sounds to me like they found the multitrack master for that section. Is this the case? It sounds very different to the mono only version. I have never heard that section in that mix before. Can anyone confirm this?

That’s sourced from the Hawaii rehearsal take found on Sunshine Tomorrow.

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 14, 2018, 09:48:45 AM »

Mike and Bruce doing further plugs today, on Radio 2 this afternoon (Steve Wright mentioned his love of Santa Ana Winds).
These boys (and The BB's) are everywhere at the moment in the UK.
Whatever people think of this 'new' album, it is certainly garnishing a lot of interest in the band.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 14, 2018, 02:02:55 PM »

Whatever people think of this 'new' album, it is certainly garnishing a lot of interest in the band.

Very true

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 15, 2018, 08:37:25 AM »

Thank you jiggy22. I listened again today and thought it did sound very Hawaii-style. Good to see I am not alone in my suspicions.
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 15, 2018, 12:55:57 PM »

#4 UK

http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/albums-chart/

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: June 16, 2018, 04:00:11 AM »

From the AP Mike and Bruce on the album:

'Fun, Fun, Fun:' Beach Boys team up with Royal Philharmonic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iKrF5AlI4s

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 16, 2018, 05:43:58 AM »

Did it chart in the USA?
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 16, 2018, 05:24:16 PM »

No. It's also fallen off the US iTunes chart after a week. The truncated 50 Big Ones, Greatest Hits, has replaced it. It's the cheapest compilation on iTunes at $5.99, so it appears to re-enter their charts often.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 05:59:26 PM by B.E. » Logged

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 19, 2018, 11:24:56 AM »

It charted on the Billboard 200 this week at #165.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: June 19, 2018, 12:42:31 PM »

It charted on the Billboard 200 this week at #165.

That sounds about right. That falls in line generally with how the Orbison album did. I expected the album would at least creep into the Top 200.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 19, 2018, 12:53:30 PM »

Its one spot below Sounds of Summer  LOL

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 19, 2018, 01:16:42 PM »

I was hoping the rest of the album to be more like Disney Girls, which I think is really well done.

Too many of the songs basically tried to repeat the original backing track. The worst culprits even relied heavily on the original backing track - which really negates the purpose of their inclusion.

This album should be RPO + The Beach Boys' voices, nothing more.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx