gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:03:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Royal Philharmonic Orchestra Album Discussion Thread  (Read 68928 times)
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 04, 2018, 08:02:49 AM »

I totally miscontrued what this project involved.  I thought they were going to the multitracks and isolating the vocals, then putting the vocals to an orchestral accompaniment based on the original instrumental arrangements.

Instead this is just the same original BB tracks with a few orchestral overdubs that are often difficult to notice or to hear and are completely superfluous.  Crazy!  Why bother?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: June 04, 2018, 09:39:07 AM »

I think a mixture of things is going on. Several of the songs, namely GV and Rhonda, don't have all extant elements of the songs on the multi-tracks. So they'd probably be more likely to work with mono elements on those tracks.

Also, the Orbison album is like this as well. Some songs are more stripped down than others, some retain more backing elements than others.

I guess it's possible every song on this BB album has the full, original backing track. But I still have the impression they were given some multi-track elements to work with. I can't imagine they literally just dubbed the orchestra over the straight mono or stereo original mixes.

But yes, based on what we *have* heard so far, these tracks are tending towards retaining much more of *all* of the elements of the original recordings as compared to the Orbison album.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: June 04, 2018, 09:44:04 AM »

Also worth noting is that I've seen a couple brief interview excerpts with Jerry Schilling (now president of BRI of course), and it sounds like he jumpstarted this album, based in part on their previous work on a similar Elvis album. I got the impression Schilling, who of course was a long-time Elvis associate prior to working with the BBs in the late 70s/80s, was familiar with the Elvis album (and later the Orbison) and sought out a BB-themed project.

Let's be clear. As *part* of a multi-tiered, multi-armed strategy to keep the BB empire alive and thriving through multiple projects, this album is a fine idea and can't do anything but help. If this ends up being the *only* noteworthy thing this year or over the next few years that actually gets released, then of course it would be a disappointment.

But it's the right approach to get all the surviving members to work together even if they don't want to literally work together in the same room at the same time.

We can only hope the divisiveness of stuff like post-C50 and Mike's attitude towards the L&M soundtrack and all of that is behind us. Jerry Schilling running BRI is the best chance we'll ever have of the empire not crumbling and of actually thriving. I think we saw some of the first fruits last year with the multiple "Sunshine Tomorrow" related releases.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 05, 2018, 07:53:47 AM »

Count me in the "I'm not buying this or ever listening to any of it again" camp. 
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: June 05, 2018, 10:15:59 AM »

https://twitter.com/TheBeachBoys/status/1004045018410041344

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: June 05, 2018, 10:28:16 AM »

I totally miscontrued what this project involved.  I thought they were going to the multitracks and isolating the vocals, then putting the vocals to an orchestral accompaniment based on the original instrumental arrangements.

Instead this is just the same original BB tracks with a few orchestral overdubs that are often difficult to notice or to hear and are completely superfluous.  Crazy!  Why bother?

I had hoped for the same - Take the vocal tracks and surround them with new orchestral arrangements to replace the original instrumental tracks. That would have been new and potentially very, very interesting sonically and musically because you'd hear the songs in a new light when it's hitting on all cylinders. But when new sweetened orchestral tracks are added to the original instrumental tracks which the original producer and arranger (Brian) spent so much time and effort to get the sonics *just right* with limited technology in the studio...it's not as much of a draw for me either.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 05, 2018, 05:24:04 PM »

...Is Bruce wearing the shirt Mike is selling?
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 06, 2018, 02:12:53 AM »

Heard F, F, F this morning on radio. Glad the band are being heard and at least this album might get new buyers and kead to ither new or archive releases. BUT.........the orch adds nothing that my ears  tell me " must buy". Just the opposite !
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: June 06, 2018, 06:27:41 AM »

I forgot to mention this in one of my previous posts, but listening to "Fun Fun Fun" the other day on Sirius, it sounds as though they *did* have access to the multi-tracks. They drop the backing out at one point for an "a cappella" interlude. It also sounds like they have overdubbed some additional non-orchestra instrumentation in spots, namely drums on this particular track. In this way, it's much like the Orbison album, where on some songs they used elements of the "vintage" backing tracks but then also added some new "rock band" overdubs as well.

So, while some of the songs (GV, Rhonda, H&V) have a varying amount of elements that are locked into the mono mixes, it sounds like on the whole they *did* have access to multi-tracks and the choice to make some of the songs sound more like an orchestra simply playing *on top* of the full old BB tracks was an artistic decision as much if not more than a technical/logistical necessity.

BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: June 06, 2018, 10:19:12 AM »

Brian's webisode

https://twitter.com/TheBeachBoys/status/1004412112775442432

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 07, 2018, 07:56:36 AM »

"I refuse to retire"

He actually sounded passionate when he said that

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 07, 2018, 08:34:08 AM »

"Don't Worry Baby" actually sounds quite beautiful.

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 07, 2018, 08:41:51 AM »

"I refuse to retire"

He actually sounded passionate when he said that

I know there are some "concerned" fans out there who talk about Brian's back, Brian's health, and think he should retire. Bruce said recently something like how Brian shouldn't be touring anymore because of poor health and blamed some of Brian's fans for that.

From my perspective, Brian lives for music. We all have a reason for waking up in the morning and getting out of bed. We don't all just wake up to watch TV and then go back to bed. Brian is the same as all of us - to happily get out of bed in the morning he needs a passion in his life, and that passion for him is music. Sure, he loves his TV and deli food. But he's got a serious hope in his life: a drive to keep on trying for that number 1 hit again.

So when he says "I refuse to retire" it should sound passionate because it certainly is. And many of us are surprised by the statement because we're so used to the false rumors in the past of Brian being controlled and told what to do. To an extent I'm sure Brian is steered in certain directions for the sake of the brand name. That being said, it is his passion and it's what he lives for. So touring, recording, and writing songs are all part of this life of music he lives for. He'll be making music, sharing his muse until the end, and it's something every fan, band member (past or present), and future fans should be incredibly grateful for.

PS, I agree, with Coco, Don't Worry Baby does sound beautiful, and I can't wait to here TWOTS in its entirety!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
ReggieDunbar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 07, 2018, 10:10:39 AM »

My favourite: SLOOP JOHN B. A totally new musical track, based on Brians arrangements but in a more intense style. Epic!

The vocals on YSBIM and Darlin' are fantastic in the mix. Especially on YSBIM, wow!!!

//RD

The pine-scented air smells so good in the snow, in our toboggan well go
screaming down the mountainside. The touch of your cheeks when theyre rosy and cold, feels so cozy to hold. Just to take you close and make you warm and...
Pitter Patter
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 07, 2018, 10:40:57 AM »

Wow! Don't Worry Baby sounds brilliant with the backing, as does what I heard of Warmth of The Sun!  Thumbs Up I think it works better on the slower tracks like these than stuff like Fun, Fun, Fun and Good Vibrations. Perhaps I did judge this album a bit too harshly at first, but I still dread to think what Kokomo will sound like.

My luck was so bad, I thought I used up all the luck I had. I sail an unsettled ocean on the Sloop John B, I've been taken for lost and gone and unknown for a long, long time, and I've got tears in the morning, but I know I'd like to get a crack at your love.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 07, 2018, 01:20:08 PM »

Album now on Spotify here in NZ. Will have a listen soon.

Edit: Individual songs on YouTube also.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 01:23:13 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 07, 2018, 04:00:18 PM »

Album now on Spotify here in NZ. Will have a listen soon.

Edit: Individual songs on YouTube also.

Where? I'm not seeing any.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 07, 2018, 04:20:31 PM »

On spotify in Ireland and the uk now.

This is actually really fun, sloop john b really works

coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 07, 2018, 04:21:23 PM »

Still nothing up yet on Youtube or Spotify U.S.  Huh

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 07, 2018, 04:28:36 PM »

Still nothing up yet on Youtube or Spotify U.S.  Huh

Will be out after 12 in the US

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 07, 2018, 04:33:05 PM »

It’s the 8th here so yes, probably after 12.

Here’s a link that works for me as a test.

Warmth Of The Sun

https://youtu.be/SoXjyqq7oyk
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 07, 2018, 05:44:14 PM »

It’s weird to be carrying on with my day and then realizing “Oh yeah, there’s a new Beach Boys album out tomorrow.” Not really excited or actively thinking about this release, although I hope it’s successful and look forward to giving it some spins.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
bummerinparadise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 07, 2018, 09:55:47 PM »

It's now officially out, and it is bad to say the least.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 07, 2018, 10:06:31 PM »

Standouts:

Don't Worry Baby. Some really beautiful strings to accompany Brian's vocals.
Sloop John B. Ahhh finally a great sounding version with the "ooooh yeah yeah" tag vocals in (and they put it in twice!)
Disney Girls. I was among those who was thinking "Whattt??" when seeing that on the track listing. But it's one of the best tracks on this set (probably the best). Bruce sounds extraordinary against that backdrop of strings. Even if every ounce of your being hates the idea of this project, listen to this one track...and if you hate it apologies for wasting your time! 10/10
In My Room. Just like with Disney Girls, the strings really make such a great backdrop for the vocals.
The Warmth of the Sun. Just like the above two, the strings go perfectly with the vocals. Actually, this really reminds me of Murry Wilson's instrumental album, which had WOTS on it.
Good Vibrations. The middle eight strings are really beautiful.

Things I disliked:

Wouldn't It Be Nice. Why not just use the original track if you're going to basically emulate the original anyways?
God Only Knows. Same problem I had with WIBN. The tag is gorgeous but the rest of the song is basically a copy of the original backing track, only it sounds far inferior to the original.
Kokomo. It's sounds way too much like the original. I would have loved to have heard a reimagined chill string backing track, with zero percussion. Make it into something totally different that we're not used to.

The tracks I didn't mention I was indifferent about. It's a great album and I really thank all those who performed and put it together. That version of Disney Girls is stellar. I mean, the original track from SU hides so much of Bruce's voice (and you probably won't understand what I mean until you hear this new version), but this version is like a totally different animal...the track I thought I'd least like on this album turned out to be my favorite.

I can totally see why many will dislike this, and more power to them. The creators of this altered some really cherished music so I'd hope they'd expect at least some backlash for it. I will be listening to certain tracks from this over and over again. Of course they can't replace the originals but they are a fun and different (and mostly really beautiful) way to listen to these songs.

As someone who loathed the idea of this project in the beginning, count me as a fan of most of this album Smiley

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
grapejuicesnake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 07, 2018, 10:12:38 PM »

Congratulations Royal Philharmonic Orchestra!  You made me physically ill.  No matter how good you think you are, don't add extra noise to songs that are already classics.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx