gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:43:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: If there is a 1968 set, when do you guys and gals think we'll find out??  (Read 9588 times)
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2018, 07:08:03 AM »

It’s fairly straightforward - 2018 is the last year in which to release material recorded in 1968 to extend the copyright protection.  If unreleased 1969 material is released in 2018, that material will have its copyright extended but for one less year than if they waited until 2019 to release it.  That one year difference is relatively trivial so if for artistic reasons they want to combine 68-69 sessions for a physical release they will probably do it.

As an example of this, Dylan’s Cutting Edge box set of all the 65-66 sessions was released in 2015.
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2018, 10:20:38 AM »

I have no interest in the symphonic disc, but sadly, that is the kind of stuff the general public buys. Maybe we will get a combined 68/69 set next year.

I would love to know who and why thinks the public wants this? Is there a poll that is taken of what shutoff should be released??

The fact that lots of people brought the Elvis / Roy Orbison ones is why they think the public wants it - and considering it spent 3 weeks in the UK Top 10 albums and is still, 8 weeks later, in the Top 100, I'd say they were right.

MsBecca
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2018, 12:05:40 PM »

I hope we hear something soon! This is my favorite era of the band and I am excited to hear what else may be in the vaults.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2018, 12:43:37 PM »

I hope we hear something soon! This is my favorite era of the band and I am excited to hear what else may be in the vaults.

Don't want to assume too much one way or the other as far as what you own from the back catalog, but there are some cool "Friends" and "20/20" era outtakes on "Hawthorne, CA" (Dennis's "A Time to Live in Dreams" is worth the price of admission alone) and the 2013 "Made in California" set.

I've been really surprised none of the past archival sets have resurrected the mix of the song "Friends" where a string arrangement replaces the soaring backing vocals. Not better than the released version, but different.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2018, 12:46:41 PM »

And I hope they finally give a digital (and maybe even physical CD!) release to the "A Capella" mix of "Friends" that thus far has only been released as the b-side to Al's charity single from a few years ago:

Though in the meantime I think it can still be easily found on YouTube.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 12:47:08 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
MsBecca
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2018, 03:27:12 PM »

Don't want to assume too much one way or the other as far as what you own from the back catalog, but there are some cool "Friends" and "20/20" era outtakes on "Hawthorne, CA" (Dennis's "A Time to Live in Dreams" is worth the price of admission alone) and the 2013 "Made in California" set.

I've been really surprised none of the past archival sets have resurrected the mix of the song "Friends" where a string arrangement replaces the soaring backing vocals. Not better than the released version, but different.

There is a version with strings?!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2018, 06:35:34 AM »

There is a version with strings?!

It's on one of the Sea of Tunes "Unsurpassed Masters" sets. It's an odd version. The strings replace the epic ascending vocals leading into each verse. You can tell listening to it why they junked it, I think. The soaring vocals are better, and the strings trying to replicate that vocal run sounds a bit awkward and stilted. But very interesting.

But it is surprising it hasn't been officially released given the other alternate versions of songs that have been on archival compilations from this time frame, like "Time to Get Alone" or "Break Away", etc.

Willy Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga Hagga Hooga

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2018, 08:37:42 AM »

I prefer the strings version of 'Friends', it has a sort of exotica 'Time to Get Alone' vibe...  Cool Guy

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said, "Banana!"
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx