gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:37:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: If there is a 1968 set, when do you guys and gals think we'll find out??  (Read 9586 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 08, 2018, 08:45:30 PM »

Hey so...it's May 8th. And there's been no 1968 set announced yet by the guys. If memory serves, we had learned about Sunshine Tomorrow already by this point last year. And since nearly every important Beach Boys release except for The SMiLE Sessions in the past 10 years or so has come out right before or during summer, I woulda thought we woulda heard about a 1968 set by now.

Is it possible that there won't be a physical 1968 set, since maybe the last one didn't do so well (I don't know if this is the case, just guessing?) and since Friends was originally issued in stereo and doesn't seem in dire need of a remix. I personally assume that there might be a decent amount of unreleased material from 1968, namely...

"My Little Red Book"
"Untitled #1"
"You're as Cool as You Can Be"
"All I Wanna Do"
"Our Happy Home"
"New Song"
"Walkin'"

And then of course one would assume there would maybe be new edits of "Old Folks at Home/Ol' Man River" and "Can't Wait Too Long" and then also some revelatory alternate takes and mixes. And maybe if they felt it necessary (and they have the tapes) they coul even put those 1972 re-recordings of Friends material that Brian and friends did (or maybe they save that for a 1972 set). Regardless, while I don't assume that they'd be able to have two discs of material like Sunshine Tomorrow, I do think they could have at least a really nice single disc set with a coherent theme and a good story, just like last year's release.

Anyways, what's everybody think?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 07:47:12 AM by Jim V. » Logged
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 12:42:34 AM »

They can include the stuff from 20/20, since all of the tracks were recorded in 1968 , so I assume it's not hard to fill two discs like last year.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 03:56:10 AM »

It's still early in the year to hear much about December release-but I won't be surprised if it's download only-  but you never know
Mr Fulton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 04:30:10 AM »

I’ve heard that it is in the making
Pet Sounder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 05:09:52 AM »

All I care about is "We're Together Again".  It was recorded in '68.  If we get all the goods on that often overlooked gem, I'll be happy!
Willy Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga Hagga Hooga

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 05:40:01 AM »

I'd love some "DEEP AND WIDE" sessions/stack o-vocals.

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said, "Banana!"
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 06:14:04 AM »

It's still early in the year to hear much about December release-but I won't be surprised if it's download only-  but you never know

The point was I was hoping that it wouldn't just be a throwaway digital only December release, and instead a CD set released around the time Sunshine Tomorrow was.
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 09:48:59 AM »

If I had to guess, the orchestral release this summer would reduce the likelihood of any archival 1968 releases before the end of the year.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
PetSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 02:13:12 PM »

Hope the "lost" Fred Vail country album will be part of the 68/69 material that might be available. That would make it one of the most important releases, if it saw the light of day. It's produced by Brian himself and although it's not Smile, it would be an enormous answer, and a win.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 03:21:48 PM by PetSmile » Logged

"Join the young and often spring you gave" - Surf's Up (BW/VDP)
John Brode
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 02:53:52 PM »

Well, we found out about Big Beat and Keep an Eye on Summer in December, so it's possible there will be a download only "sessions" compilation of Friends, 20/20, and other recordings done in 1968. Does anyone know if anything live was recorded for a potential live album that year? Something that could be used for a set like Sacramento, Chicago, Michigan and Live Sunshine?
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 03:22:26 PM »

Hope the Fred Vail country album will be part of the material.

I thought that was recorded in 1970?
PetSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 03:25:42 PM »

Hope the Fred Vail country album will be part of the material.

I thought that was recorded in 1970?

It was. They started working on it in April of 1970. Shame, I thought it might finally be released. I have given my humble opinion that they should release a 1968-73 compilation album, as a 68/69 would, in my view, be uninteresting by comparison with 1967 - Sunshine Tomorrow.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 03:54:24 PM by PetSmile » Logged

"Join the young and often spring you gave" - Surf's Up (BW/VDP)
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 05:21:23 PM »

I suppose there’s no chance we’ll get the Desper recorded Manson Cease to Exist demo?  That would be fascinating to hear.  I think there should be plenty of 20/20 material, alternate takes, vocals only, outtakes etc that would make an interesting release.  And There are still some mono mixes unreleased officially from Friends.  More than enough for a 2 cd release- and hopefully Brian’s mono mix of the Child track will finally see the light of day.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2018, 08:52:16 AM »

If I had to guess, the orchestral release this summer would reduce the likelihood of any archival 1968 releases before the end of the year.

I really doubt it works that way. The orchestral album is a mass audience product.   Sunshine Tomorrow was not.

That being said, physical media is really on its last legs right now – except for vinyl.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2018, 11:30:45 AM »

Is there a possibility of live recordings from the December 1968 British concerts that we haven't heard?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2018, 11:47:45 AM »

I have a feeling it will be digital only for the reason Wirestone mentioned, or at the very most if you want a physical copy you'll have to buy it online.

I am 99.9% certain something will be officially announced soon...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2018, 11:58:33 AM »

I have no interest in the symphonic disc, but sadly, that is the kind of stuff the general public buys. Maybe we will get a combined 68/69 set next year.
Willy Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga Hagga Hooga

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2018, 04:28:01 PM »

I reckon now IS the time to ride the wave and put out other stuff. The BBs are getting more publicity and acclaim than in years.  Smokin

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said, "Banana!"
GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2018, 01:36:40 PM »

Well, today a stereo mix of “Walk On By” was put up on YouTube and linked to from Brian’s official Facebook and Instagram.  https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC8HDM0wcaXWT-a2cOBKmGig

Could be a teaser?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2018, 01:42:46 PM »

Well, today a stereo mix of “Walk On By” was put up on YouTube and linked to from Brian’s official Facebook and Instagram.  https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC8HDM0wcaXWT-a2cOBKmGig

Could be a teaser?

The YouTube video Brian linked to appears to have been uploaded by some random person, and it was uploaded five years ago.

I think/hope some '68 stuff is due to be announced, but I don't think this YouTube link is from any such projects.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2018, 01:58:36 PM »

Could be a teaser?

The YouTube video Brian linked to appears to have been uploaded by some random person, and it was uploaded five years ago.

I think/hope some '68 stuff is due to be announced, but I don't think this YouTube link is from any such projects.

Isn’t this seltaeb’s mix? Congrats man, you’re famous!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2018, 03:57:09 PM »

Hopefully the complete Chicago 1968 concert that they pulled Friends and Little Bird from for Made in California will  be included.
feelintheflows
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2018, 04:47:50 PM »

I have no interest in the symphonic disc, but sadly, that is the kind of stuff the general public buys. Maybe we will get a combined 68/69 set next year.

I would love to know who and why thinks the public wants this? Is there a poll that is taken of what shutoff should be released??
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2018, 08:32:09 PM »

Hopefully the complete Chicago 1968 concert that they pulled Friends and Little Bird from for Made in California will  be included.
Yes!  Grin I've been wanting to hear the whole show since I heard those tracks on MIC.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2018, 09:33:21 PM »

I have a question about the copyright extension thing, but wasn't sure where to ask, so maybe I can just put it here. A copyright extension release represents each individual year, correct? What happens in the case of the 20/20-Sunflower era, where sessions kind of overlap each other?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx