gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:23:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Concert attire  (Read 4083 times)
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2018, 12:08:59 PM »

Bruce has been seen choosing the lazy option of wearing Bermuda shorts. Hawaii shirts have often been worn, and that's fine. The candy-striped shirts were good for the fledgling band. But nothing beats the djellaba worn by Mike at the Prague concert in 69. There he was, in Morrocan hooded robe, dancing and banging on a tambourine. Oh, what I'd give to watch the whole concert on DVD. How do you feel about their stage attire through the years? Should it have been more outrageous, or perhaps formal? Not KISS-like, but perhaps more spruced up?

Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 02:05:03 PM »

I loved the striped shirts. Instantly recognizable and in my opinion went way beyond the defines of a fledgling band. With the prolific album output their fledgling days were long over and they still wear the striped shirts.

A band that was so in tune with harmony wearing the same outfits fits seems to show almost a subliminal redundancy. The same with the late 60's white suits. Later on as the group was more diversified, they all wore their own thing. Again, it seems to be a reflection of the group itself, each wanting their independence and greater creative input. Now it is just a bunch of old guys in Hawaiian shirts.

Mikes attire was often cringe-worthy. Brian too, in the robe stage. Each of the boys have worn things that by today's standards do not look right, but even to this day if you see a group with blue and white or red and white matching shirts and white pants, you think "The Beach Boys". Very effective marketing if you ask me. The Beatles covered "formal" and outrageous was not right for this group.
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 06:22:12 PM »

I loved the striped shirts. Instantly recognizable and in my opinion went way beyond the defines of a fledgling band. With the prolific album output their fledgling days were long over and they still wear the striped shirts.

A band that was so in tune with harmony wearing the same outfits fits seems to show almost a subliminal redundancy. The same with the late 60's white suits. Later on as the group was more diversified, they all wore their own thing. Again, it seems to be a reflection of the group itself, each wanting their independence and greater creative input. Now it is just a bunch of old guys in Hawaiian shirts.

Mikes attire was often cringe-worthy. Brian too, in the robe stage. Each of the boys have worn things that by today's standards do not look right, but even to this day if you see a group with blue and white or red and white matching shirts and white pants, you think "The Beach Boys". Very effective marketing if you ask me. The Beatles covered "formal" and outrageous was not right for this group.

Yeah, the striped shirts were cool, even though some cynics have criticized them for it. But then look at the Tops or the Tempts and their identical snazzy suits. That was the look for vocal groups, or, in the BB's case group/band. The very early lumberjack shirts I did not like at all. When did they abandon the stripes, 63, 64? Was it Murry's idea, or Capitol's?

You are right, outrageous would not have worked well, although I have a soft spot for Mike's djellaba, as I mentioned before. And that was without the baseball cap, cool.

Bruce's Bermudas and Brian's sweat pants in later years, I am not so sure about.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 08:04:54 PM »

There's photos of them wearing the oh-so dated striped shirts as late as the fall of 1967. Carl and Dennis were the only Beach Boys that continually dressed in a remotely "cool" fashion (once uniforms were done and gone).
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 05:09:39 AM »

I typically wear a t-shirt with a surfer stripe, resembling the shirt Brian is wearing in this photo:

https://www.themahaffey.com/mahaffeyblog/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/BRIAN-WILSON-THEREMIN-2.jpg

The Mrs. found saw it in The Gap when Smile was released in 2004 and decided I NEEDED it.

During cold weather I throw a Beach Boys Pendleton over it.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
KDS
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 05:18:53 AM »

I like the striped shirts, but they should've ditched them around 1965 instead of wearing them well into 1967.    By then, the British Invasion bands had evolved from wearing matching suits, but the Beach Boys were behind the times. 
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 05:47:30 AM »

They should have abandoned matching outfits altogether in 1965/66. Some of the press photos (from off stage) have them looking pretty cool, particularly Dennis. They should have just worn their street clothes onstage. But they were never good about the image thing.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 08:21:51 AM »

Yeah, the striped shirts were cool, even though some cynics have criticized them for it. But then look at the Tops or the Tempts and their identical snazzy suits. That was the look for vocal groups, or, in the BB's case group/band. The very early lumberjack shirts I did not like at all. When did they abandon the stripesstriped, 63, 64?

They didn't start wearing the striped shirts until '64. Stopped in late '67.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 02:51:09 PM »

Every time I see this topic it seems as though it's about what we should be wearing. Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 05:08:19 PM »

How many times during the Striped Shirt Days, or during any other period in time where they wore other matching uniforms, did the band perform a show where perhaps one or more members didn't wear the same uniform clothes?

I'd tend to think that out of the many hundreds (or perhaps did they crack a thousand?) of shows that they played during the uniform days, that there perhaps had to be at least a show or 2 where for whatever reason, one of the band members was the odd one out and didn't wear their uniform. Like if it got lost or stained one night, and that one member just wore street clothes for one show.

Did anything like this ever happen?
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2018, 07:59:04 PM »

Carl appeared in his street clothes (as he was running late) at the Dublin Adelphi gig, May 2 1967. It makes for an interesting read in Ian and Jon's book, "The Beach Boys In Concert"

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2018, 09:13:27 PM »

All those old stage clothes were cut up and put on those Beach Boys cards!

Cook pork throughly
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2018, 09:51:20 PM »

Carl appeared in his street clothes (as he was running late) at the Dublin Adelphi gig, May 2 1967. It makes for an interesting read in Ian and Jon's book, "The Beach Boys In Concert"

Thanks! I own that book and have read it, but some of it I did glance over, I will have to re-read that part now Smiley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2018, 03:44:04 AM »

Then they wore the white suits from late 67 to mid 1970. I always thought those were kind of squarer in a way then the stripes and really I don't think they needed another uniform by 1967. It was pretty unhip. Luckily the music was so cool
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx