gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:20:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: So are we getting a White Album 50 year release/remix or not?  (Read 18184 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2018, 02:04:35 PM »

I'm actually really surprised that the complete and unedited master take wasn't included. A section of music lasting about twenty or so seconds was edited out of the final mix.

Which song? What are you referring to?
It would help if I actually named the song I was talking about, huh?  LOL I was referring to "Sexy Sadie".

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2018, 12:39:43 AM »

I'm also surprised that none of the "Peter Sellers tape" was used.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2018, 07:18:39 AM »

Save the mono mix included on the Blu-ray disc, everything in this set is newly mixed/remixed. The original album is a remix, the Esher demos are freshly mixed from the multi-tracks, and the three discs of session material are all fresh mixes.

While they certainly could have gone back to the original EMI alternate mixes that were dubbed to the "Sellers Tape", I think they were going for the most interesting and different studio outtakes. The Sellers tape has mostly just minor mix/editing variances compared to the commercial mono mix. Those extra measures near the end of "Sexy Sadie" are probably the *most* noteworthy thing on the tape.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2018, 10:44:01 PM »

Save the mono mix included on the Blu-ray disc, everything in this set is newly mixed/remixed. The original album is a remix, the Esher demos are freshly mixed from the multi-tracks, and the three discs of session material are all fresh mixes.

While they certainly could have gone back to the original EMI alternate mixes that were dubbed to the "Sellers Tape", I think they were going for the most interesting and different studio outtakes. The Sellers tape has mostly just minor mix/editing variances compared to the commercial mono mix. Those extra measures near the end of "Sexy Sadie" are probably the *most* noteworthy thing on the tape.
It's been a few years since I've listened to it. I remember a few interesting things besides the full version of Sexy Sadie. There was the weird "sound collage" at the start of Yer Blues.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2018, 09:09:16 AM »

Sure, there are some other minor variances on that Sellers tape. But much more interesting are true alternate takes. One aspect that I dig about the White Album set are the fully alternate takes done in the *same* arrangement as the finished version. That sort of outtake sometimes gets overlooked when compiling things like "Anthology" (or the unreleased "Sessions" in the 80s), because they're understandably first and foremost looking for alternates that sound as different as possible. Thus, the acoustic demo of "Weeps" is (rightly) highlighted first. But I love the early take of the "full band" version on the White Album set.

Sound collage stuff is of limited interest to me. I've never understood the vigor of the calls to release something like "Carnival of Light", as it's surely going to end up being enough like "Revolution 9" in that students of the band are into studying it, but it's not a song we're going to pull out and listen to every day. For that matter, I wasn't at all perturbed we didn't get the ten-hour-long version of "Helter Skelter" on the new set; while I absolutely dig hearing those slow, bluesy alternate takes, 12 minutes or whatever is enough on that particular one I think.

At the same time, I'm all for filling the discs as fully as possible. So, more is never not a good thing. They could have fit even more on the White Album set. But I can't complain; it's the exact set format fans have wanted for DECADES.

With the "Anthology" discs in 95/96, they packed those discs pretty full. I certainly *never* understood why people wanted like 40% of the first disc of "Anthology 3" taken up with one long (arguably kind of boring, meandering) take of "Helter Skelter."
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 09:09:50 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx