gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:12:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So are we getting a White Album 50 year release/remix or not?  (Read 18186 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2018, 11:15:01 PM »

I don't have the set yet, but all of the tracks have been put on YouTube already. The big revelations for me were the 12:54 version of Helter Skelter(that is still somehow incomplete-it fades out), the "blues" version of Cry Baby Cry, and the Let It Be rehearsal. Among a few others.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2018, 12:24:43 AM »

I don't have the set yet, but all of the tracks have been put on YouTube already. The big revelations for me were the 12:54 version of Helter Skelter(that is still somehow incomplete-it fades out), the "blues" version of Cry Baby Cry, and the Let It Be rehearsal. Among a few others.  Grin
I don't have the set yet, but all of the tracks have been put on YouTube already. The big revelations for me were the 12:54 version of Helter Skelter(that is still somehow incomplete-it fades out), the "blues" version of Cry Baby Cry, and the Let It Be rehearsal. Among a few others.  Grin

There is a good portion of it on YouTube, amazingly enough.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 12:41:29 AM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2018, 04:54:52 AM »

I literally said the exact same thing, in the post that you quoted.  Roll Eyes It seems that the entire set has been uploaded to the official Beatles YouTube page, but for some reason the "videos" don't show as being listed on the channel. I'm not sure why. But if you specifically type in what track you want to hear, it comes up in the "main" YouTube page. But you have to be specific(take number, etc) about it.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2018, 03:33:55 PM »

I don't have the set yet, but all of the tracks have been put on YouTube already. The big revelations for me were the 12:54 version of Helter Skelter(that is still somehow incomplete-it fades out), the "blues" version of Cry Baby Cry, and the Let It Be rehearsal. Among a few others.  Grin

I literally said the exact same thing, in the post that you quoted.  Roll Eyes It seems that the entire set has been uploaded to the official Beatles YouTube page, but for some reason the "videos" don't show as being listed on the channel. I'm not sure why. But if you specifically type in what track you want to hear, it comes up in the "main" YouTube page. But you have to be specific(take number, etc) about it.

With the release this week it seems a lot of the YouTube content is being pulled.

On another note, the book is fantastic. Lots of pics I have never seen.

And the 5,1 Blu-ray mix is fascinating.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2018, 09:23:11 PM »

I just did a quick check, and all of the tracks are still up.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2018, 01:24:42 AM »

Really Jay? Great!  I don’t see the 5 CDs of new mixes. Links please, so all can enjoy! 👍

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2018, 01:36:26 AM »

Really Jay? Great!  I don’t see the 5 CDs of new mixes. Links please, so all can enjoy! 👍
It's three discs of alternate takes, and a cd of some of the demos. The only new mix is the remix of the released album by Giles Martin.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2018, 02:11:07 AM »

It's three discs of alternate takes, and a cd of some of the demos. The only new mix is the remix of the released album by Giles Martin.

I am well aware of what I am holding in my hand; and I did post the track list.

So how about that link for these 5 CDs? Me thinks you are mistaken!  Makes no sense they would post the whole collection.

The newly released version of “Good Night” with all 4 Beatles singing is mind blowing!

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2018, 02:37:10 AM »

Helter Skelter take 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoK3HyIL0eo

Helter Skelter take 17: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhiFJ6L3sS0

Not Guilty take 102: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBRss5I_uw0

Revolution 1 take 18: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3glcY2LQIk

Yer Blues take 5 with guide vocal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W75VWUGpwi8

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2018, 02:45:50 AM »

Thanks for the links!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 02:54:58 AM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2018, 02:56:14 AM »

Hardly 5 CDs of music. “Good Night” with all 4 Beatles?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mImUDiwKTTo

Happiness Is A Warm Gun take 19: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0uoakDesgo

Hey Jude take 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jf48JMGnbY

Lady Madonna take 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXnQ0b1JfOA

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2018, 02:59:36 AM »

I stand corrected it seems. As Jay says, type in the exact name of the track and bingo!
Amazing!

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2018, 02:47:12 PM »

I edited a post giving Jay credit about so many of the songs being on YouTube. I had been PMing him
and I thought we were cool. Then the screenshot post. I think it’s “unusual” that one would take screenshots of a petty spat in an not so important discussion about YouTube uploads. No one else was chiming in at the time.

My point remains that EMI/Apple would it make available for free on YouTube the entirety of their hot new and expensive Deluxe Beatles box. Yet, Jay has correctly pointed out that there are a large number of the tracks on YouTube.

CsM appears to not understand what I was saying while, RR, does.

Again, I have better things to do than take screenshots of other people’s posts to prove they reworded a post. You Billy, modify your posts from time to time. Speaking of which, this discussion is a great waste of everyone’s!
Thanks, SRH. Smiley It should've been non-issue, instead some poster sees sth. suspicious in casual Beatles conversation between the 2. It's just mere Beatles album discussion. I didn't find "screenshot" bit necessary thing to say, tbh. Bottom line being, let's carry on.

Well said RR! It’s an amazing release which should be celebrated!  God bless the Beatles!!!

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2018, 02:57:40 PM »

Well said RR! It’s an amazing release which should be celebrated!  God bless the Beatles!!!
Enjoy your Deluxe collection! Thumbs Up

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2018, 08:55:09 PM »

Just to finalize this, here is the Beatles youtube channel playlist of the entire deluxe set:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mMcxAy3_NLEnsuSq9I_qWIONOpdRfWlWw
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2018, 09:25:19 PM »

I'm actually really surprised that the complete and unedited master take wasn't included. A section of music lasting about twenty or so seconds was edited out of the final mix.

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2018, 06:28:52 AM »

I'm actually really surprised that the complete and unedited master take wasn't included. A section of music lasting about twenty or so seconds was edited out of the final mix.

Which song? What are you referring to?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 06:30:41 AM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2018, 08:15:39 AM »

I don't know the exact ins and outs, but these "official" uploads of full albums to YouTube aren't simply a case of them "giving away" the album for free. Yes, depending on one's online/tech acumen and patience and motivation to do everything they can to *not* pay for any music, the stuff can be downloaded. But the main purpose for YouTube having this stuff up in full is as part of what is essentially their version of Spotify/Pandora, etc. I think they simply call it "YouTube Music."

Just as you can listen to Spotify and Pandora on certain platforms for free, you can do the same with YouTube. For users who just use the video side of the YouTube app, it kind of looks like a weird haphazard string of free audio files uploaded as videos. But it's part of the "YouTube Music" interface, but they also allow access to it via the normal video apps/website as well.

Something like that anyway.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2018, 08:25:05 AM »

As for this "White Album" set, I have to say that most fans are rightly blown away by it, only in 2018 on the snarky, cynical internet could people seriously gripe about it. I'm not talking about tiny nitpicks, like mix preferences or how one version of a song should have been included instead of another.

Rather, on other boards, I've seen a very "meh" attitude about the set. From Beatles fans. It's nuts. Maybe it's mostly younger fans or something. But fans waited DECADES to get any substantial amount of outtakes, which came in 1995-96 with "Anthology", and then had to wait ANOTHER two decades or so to get any substantial additional amount of outtakes.

Fans and Beatles scholars have been calling for multi-disc deluxe editions of Beatles albums since, at least, the dawn of the CD era in the 80s and especially in the late 80s and early 90s when multi-disc CD boxed sets became more prevalent. It seemed a no brainer.

The fact that they released a *full disc* of White Album outtakes on "Anthology 3" and then, with little overlap, had FOUR more discs of outtakes/demos to issue over 20 years later shows have rich those archives are.

Yes, as has been known since the 80s when Lewisohn documented the archive, there are relatively few "new" actual compositions that they left off albums. And we know that, in most cases, they made the right choice to drop tracks like "If You've Got Trouble", etc. (I still find all those tracks immensely interesting of course). But hearing multiple discs of the band working stuff out in the studio, it's mind-blowing.

I think both the outtakes and the stereo remix on this White Album set are even more impressive than last year's Pepper set.

Some of the standout tracks include all the alternates for "Good Night", including the version with group backing vocals, and finally the unedited piano/Ringo take (which was crossfaded on "Anthology 3"). The alternate of "I'm So Tired" with backing vocals and some of those extra overdubs re-integrated is great.

And finally, the (more or less) uncut Esher demos not from Lennon's probably multi-generation mixdown (which still sounded good enough for all the years it circulated), but from the four-track master tape. I can't think of any band or artist that has genuinely *Home* demos from the 60s that sound this good in terms of sound quality.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2018, 08:44:01 AM »

As for this "White Album" set, I have to say that most fans are rightly blown away by it, only in 2018 on the snarky, cynical internet could people seriously gripe about it. I'm not talking about tiny nitpicks, like mix preferences or how one version of a song should have been included instead of another.

Rather, on other boards, I've seen a very "meh" attitude about the set. From Beatles fans. It's nuts. Maybe it's mostly younger fans or something. But fans waited DECADES to get any substantial amount of outtakes, which came in 1995-96 with "Anthology", and then had to wait ANOTHER two decades or so to get any substantial additional amount of outtakes.

Fans and Beatles scholars have been calling for multi-disc deluxe editions of Beatles albums since, at least, the dawn of the CD era in the 80s and especially in the late 80s and early 90s when multi-disc CD boxed sets became more prevalent. It seemed a no brainer.

The fact that they released a *full disc* of White Album outtakes on "Anthology 3" and then, with little overlap, had FOUR more discs of outtakes/demos to issue over 20 years later shows have rich those archives are.

Yes, as has been known since the 80s when Lewisohn documented the archive, there are relatively few "new" actual compositions that they left off albums. And we know that, in most cases, they made the right choice to drop tracks like "If You've Got Trouble", etc. (I still find all those tracks immensely interesting of course). But hearing multiple discs of the band working stuff out in the studio, it's mind-blowing.

I think both the outtakes and the stereo remix on this White Album set are even more impressive than last year's Pepper set.

Some of the standout tracks include all the alternates for "Good Night", including the version with group backing vocals, and finally the unedited piano/Ringo take (which was crossfaded on "Anthology 3"). The alternate of "I'm So Tired" with backing vocals and some of those extra overdubs re-integrated is great.

And finally, the (more or less) uncut Esher demos not from Lennon's probably multi-generation mixdown (which still sounded good enough for all the years it circulated), but from the four-track master tape. I can't think of any band or artist that has genuinely *Home* demos from the 60s that sound this good in terms of sound quality.

Hear hear. We are so incredibly lucky to have a set like this - and so far I love what I have heard of the new mix - it's quite a nice revision.

This is not a criticism of the set at all, but one thing that I loved about the Pepper box last year was them giving us the original mono mix of the album. It made sense because of comments from people like Lennon who said the only way to hear the real Pepper was in mono, etc. That said, I have heard such great things about the mono mix of the White Album and I've never been able to hear it in its entirety. It would have been cool to also get the original mono mix here too but again, there are already so many discs of material in the deluxe set, it would be hard to imagine include another two - or justifying to listeners yet another two discs of the same tracks that are already part of the set. Still - I'd love a CD version of the original mono mix.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 09:15:26 AM by Chocolate Shake Man » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2018, 09:00:37 AM »

I think they were able to integrate the mono mix on the Pepper set because there was more room. Less outtakes, no home demos, etc.

Whereas, with the White Album set, including the mono mix means two extra CDs. As it is, it's already 7 discs including the Blu-ray.

I was going to say it was already released in the "Mono" boxed set from 2009, but that set seems to be OOP and on the expensive side, and they don't appear to offer it as a purchasable download.

The mono mix *is* in the new deluxe set, but only on the Blu-ray disc. 

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2018, 09:18:20 AM »

I think they were able to integrate the mono mix on the Pepper set because there was more room. Less outtakes, no home demos, etc.

Whereas, with the White Album set, including the mono mix means two extra CDs. As it is, it's already 7 discs including the Blu-ray.

I was going to say it was already released in the "Mono" boxed set from 2009, but that set seems to be OOP and on the expensive side, and they don't appear to offer it as a purchasable download.

The mono mix *is* in the new deluxe set, but only on the Blu-ray disc. 

Absolutely agreed that spatial concerns are a big reason why there's no Mono CD.

Also, I keep forgetting that the Mono is available on the Blue-ray. I still have not received my copy in the mail though I can pick it up today. Is it the original mono mix or a new one? I suppose I could look this up for myself but were the 2009 mono mixes the originals or new, or some mixture of both? I'm becoming more and more of a Mono person as I get older, particularly for music made pre-1970 and would really like to hear more of those original mixes.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2018, 11:59:59 AM »

Also, I keep forgetting that the Mono is available on the Blue-ray. I still have not received my copy in the mail though I can pick it up today. Is it the original mono mix or a new one? I suppose I could look this up for myself but were the 2009 mono mixes the originals or new, or some mixture of both? I'm becoming more and more of a Mono person as I get older, particularly for music made pre-1970 and would really like to hear more of those original mixes.

The 2009 and 50th anniversary (both Sgt Pepper and White Album) mono mixes are original. The only difference being the 2009 mastering vs direct transfers, I believe. Keep an eye out for the 2009 mono CD box. I was able to pick up a sealed copy on eBay for $105 in 2016. That's been my go-to for those albums ever since. I think I'm becoming more of a mono person myself. Although, I'm still just as interested in the stereo remixes as anyone else. There was also a 2014 mono vinyl box (original mixes).
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 12:08:30 PM by B.E. » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2018, 01:15:50 PM »

The initial problem with the mono CD box from 2009 (and the stereo CD box for that matter) was that, for some reason, they were *immediately* knocked off, and those knock offs not only made the typical eBay rounds, but somehow started getting into some "official" supply chains, showing up at some legit, "name" stores.

I ended up waiting for a bit and then purchasing a confirmed legit mono box from a legit retailer.

Some time later, they did an epic vinyl reissue of all the mono albums, once and for all finally doing an all-analog chain in mastering them to vinyl (as many know, most vinyl is cut from digital masters, arguably partially if not mostly defeating the purpose of reissuing old stuff on new vinyl).

I think both the CD and vinyl mono sets are out of print. Which is stupid. Also a horrible idea is not having the mono stuff available to at least download digitally.

The Beatles mono mixes are indispensable for any Beatles fan/scholar. I think most fans sometimes prefer mono mixes of some of the stuff, and there are numerous mix differences as well.

The mono mix of the White Album is one of the more noteworthy ones, both in terms of it being the last released full album to appear in true mono, and also because it has a number of noticeable mix differences compared to the stereo.

There's not reason Apple should be keeping a box of the mono albums on CD out of print. CDs are already not flying off the shelves. I'm guessing Apple will get the mono mixes back out sooner or later in some format, CD or digital.

Vinyl (even a rare case of an excellent audiophile, all-analog series like the mono albums) just doesn't interest me much; it's just too much of a hassle to have a set up that actually sounds good. It's popular now mostly as a collectible thing rather than for how it sounds, even if a bunch of hipsters tell everybody it "sounds" better. It doesn't sound better on a $50 turntable purchased at Target or Sharper Image.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 01:19:40 PM by HeyJude » Logged

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2018, 01:32:22 PM »

Spot on, HeyJude. I just want to underscore that it's still possible to pick up a legit mono box at a reasonable price (at least, in my case, 2 1/2 years ago). Though, you've got to be careful. As you say, those mixes are indispensable. I also totally agree that the mono mixes should always be readily available, even if only digitally.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 01:33:35 PM by B.E. » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx