gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:48:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So are we getting a White Album 50 year release/remix or not?  (Read 18185 times)
Smile4ever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 05, 2018, 04:02:21 PM »

Most people love the Giles Martin remix of Sgt. Peppers for the 50 year anniversary. There was initially speculation that we would get a White Album. Is it coming?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 09:33:36 PM »

God, I hope so! I'm kind of skeptical about it though. Maybe it's just the pessimist in me.  LOL I had read a few months ago that supposedly the Esher demos were going to be released. To be honest, I'm really surprised that we didn't get 50th anniversary sets of either Rubber Soul or Revolver(or both). Both of those albums are in my mind crucial to the history and career of The Beatles.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 11:56:16 PM »

God, I hope so! I'm kind of skeptical about it though. Maybe it's just the pessimist in me.  LOL I had read a few months ago that supposedly the Esher demos were going to be released. To be honest, I'm really surprised that we didn't get 50th anniversary sets of either Rubber Soul or Revolver(or both). Both of those albums are in my mind crucial to the history and career of The Beatles.
But this is the Beatles and Apple, they haven't been exactly generous with Vault Beatles. We were lucky to get the Anthology sets.
I doubt we'll get anything more than a reissue of the White Album on White Vinyl.
KDS
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 10:45:05 AM »

But this is the Beatles and Apple, they haven't been exactly generous with Vault Beatles. We were lucky to get the Anthology sets.
I doubt we'll get anything more than a reissue of the White Album on White Vinyl.

I'm really surprised The Beatles / Apple haven't released more in recent years.    Even that mash up Love album sold pretty well IIRC. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 06:56:13 PM »

I'm really surprised The Beatles / Apple haven't released more in recent years.    Even that mash up Love album sold pretty well IIRC. 
There are a couple things the fans have been wanting for years, and still, no sign that they will come out:
Let it Be - the film (on dvd, with outtakes, etc)
Shea Stadium (yeah, I know, we got the Ron Howard doc a couple years ago....)

I don't know what their problem is, I guess they are just waiting till all the Beatles fans are dead to put this stuff out. And that's not going to happen, because the Beatles have fans in all age groups. They are the one British Invasion band that kids in 2018 can tell you about.
Well, maybe the Rolling Stones. But the Stones are still active. The Fab Four have been inactive for decades, but that music still brings in new fans.
So come on, guys, give the people what they want!
KDS
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 05:53:19 AM »

There are a couple things the fans have been wanting for years, and still, no sign that they will come out:

I don't know what their problem is, I guess they are just waiting till all the Beatles fans are dead to put this stuff out. And that's not going to happen, because the Beatles have fans in all age groups. They are the one British Invasion band that kids in 2018 can tell you about.
Well, maybe the Rolling Stones. But the Stones are still active. The Fab Four have been inactive for decades, but that music still brings in new fans.

Shea Stadium is an absolute no brainer.   For the life of me, I don't understand why it sits on the shelf.   Especially after they showed it in theaters following the Ron Howard doc (which I found a tad underwhelming to be honest).

I remember when George passed, there were rumors of a deluxe Let It Be DVD with gobs of bonus features, but it never happened.    I know it's not exactly their proudest moment, but come on, just about every Beatles fan has already seen the movie.   It was available on VHS and Laserdisc, and bootleg DVDs are very easy to find. 
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 07:17:09 PM »

Most people love the Giles Martin remix of Sgt. Peppers for the 50 year anniversary. There was initially speculation that we would get a White Album. Is it coming?

Paul confirmed it. Not many details yet, but they are sure to come.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 05:24:31 AM »

Paul confirmed it. Not many details yet, but they are sure to come.

Yep, Macca confirmed it.  I expect we will get all those great demos recorded before they hit the studio.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markbeech/2018/06/20/beatles-50th-anniversary-white-album-is-almost-ready/#394e4161bdf9

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2018, 07:53:45 AM »

I hope we get some studio outakes too. I know it won't happen, but I'd give my mortal soul to hear the 27 minute version of Helter Skelter.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 02:49:24 PM by Jay » Logged

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2018, 08:22:24 AM »

… I'd give my mortal soul to hear the 27 minute version of Helter Skelter.

Mortal soul territory for me would be hearing John sing Good Night. Of course, I'd probably need to travel back in time and hang out with the Beatles in the studio to hear it, so... yeah, mortal soul.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2018, 08:13:18 PM »

Shea Stadium is an absolute no brainer.   For the life of me, I don't understand why it sits on the shelf.   Especially after they showed it in theaters following the Ron Howard doc (which I found a tad underwhelming to be honest).

I remember when George passed, there were rumors of a deluxe Let It Be DVD with gobs of bonus features, but it never happened.    I know it's not exactly their proudest moment, but come on, just about every Beatles fan has already seen the movie.   It was available on VHS and Laserdisc, and bootleg DVDs are very easy to find. 

The Ron Howard doc didn't impress me at all. The same stuff was covered better in the Anthology.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2018, 12:53:11 AM »

The Ron Howard doc didn't impress me at all. The same stuff was covered better in the Anthology.

I very much hate the idea that the footage was colorized. We really need a multi dvd set of Beatles concert footage. There are quite a few pro shot concerts out there, like Shea Stadium(that one's obvious), Paris 1964(or 1965?), Budokon  1966(two shows), Essen 1966, etc. There were also a number of special tv programs featuring Beatles concerts that aired back then as well that has some great Beatles live performances, like Blackpool, Sweden 1963(I think the show was called Drop In), etc. But it would be a legal and licensing nightmare and would probably take years to work out.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2018, 12:57:16 AM »

… I'd give my mortal soul to hear the 27 minute version of Helter Skelter.

Mortal soul territory for me would be hearing John sing Good Night. Of course, I'd probably need to travel back in time and hang out with the Beatles in the studio to hear it, so... yeah, mortal soul.
Another recording from that time that I've always been curios about is called "Etcetera". Paul recorded a studio demo of it during the album sessions. Apparently he took the only copy home with him and it hasn't been heard since.

Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2018, 09:12:43 AM »

There's also apparently a White Album era recording of Paul doing Long and Winding Road as well.

I'd really love to hear all the Esher demos crisp, especially "Child of Nature."
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2018, 11:20:56 PM »

There's also apparently a White Album era recording of Paul doing Long and Winding Road as well.

I've never heard that before.

Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2018, 05:44:14 PM »

https://www.beatlesbible.com/songs/the-long-and-winding-road/

Mentions Paul demoed it during the sessions.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2018, 08:39:30 PM »

https://www.beatlesbible.com/songs/the-long-and-winding-road/

Mentions Paul demoed it during the sessions.
He may have come up with some of the melody, but if I recall correctly the earliest circulating versions from the Get Back tapes are very incomplete. Mostly piano playing with a mumbled line or two.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2018, 09:45:03 PM »

It’s happening!  Demos and all.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-ms-beatles-white-album-remix-reissue-box-set-20180924-story.html

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2018, 10:01:27 PM »

This page has the full tracklisting. It will contain a previously unknown to exist recording of Let It Be from the "White album" sessions. http://wogew.blogspot.com/

Ahhh!

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2018, 10:42:08 PM »

CD 1: The BEATLES (‘White Album’) 2018 Stereo Mix
Back in the U.S.S.R.
Dear Prudence
Glass Onion
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
Wild Honey Pie
The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Happiness is a Warm Gun
Martha My Dear
I’m so tired
Blackbird
Piggies
Rocky Raccoon
Don’t Pass Me By
Why don’t we do it in the road?
I Will
Julia

CD 2: The BEATLES (‘White Album’) 2018 Stereo Mix
Birthday
Yer Blues
Mother Nature’s Son
Everybody’s Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey
Sexy Sadie
Helter Skelter
Long, Long, Long
Revolution I
Honey Pie
Savoy Truffle
Cry Baby Cry
Revolution 9
Good Night

CD 3: Esher Demos
Back in the U.S.S.R.
Dear Prudence
Glass Onion
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Happiness is a Warm Gun
I’m so tired
Blackbird
Piggies
Rocky Raccoon
Julia
Yer Blues
Mother Nature’s Son
Everybody’s Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey
Sexy Sadie
Revolution
Honey Pie
Cry Baby Cry
Sour Milk Sea
Junk
Child of Nature
Circles
Mean Mr. Mustard
Polythene Pam
Not Guilty
What’s the New Mary Jane

CD 4: Sessions
Revolution I (Take 18)
A Beginning (Take 4) / Don’t Pass Me By (Take 7)
Blackbird (Take 28)
Everybody’s Got Something to Hide
Except Me and My Monkey (Unnumbered rehearsal)
Good Night (Unnumbered rehearsal)
Good Night (Take 10 with a guitar part from Take 5)
Good Night (Take 22)
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da (Take 3)
Revolution (Unnumbered rehearsal)
Revolution (Take 14 – Instrumental backing track)
Cry Baby Cry (Unnumbered rehearsal)
Helter Skelter (First version – Take 2)

CD 5: Sessions
Sexy Sadie (Take 3)
While My Guitar Gently Weeps (Acoustic version – Take 2)
Hey Jude (Take 1)
St. Louis Blues (Studio jam)
Not Guilty (Take 102)
Mother Nature’s Son (Take 15)
Yer Blues (Take 5 with guide vocal)
What’s the New Mary Jane (Take 1)
Rocky Raccoon (Take Cool
Back in the U.S.S.R. (Take 5 – Instrumental backing track)
Dear Prudence (Vocal, guitar & drums)
Let It Be (Unnumbered rehearsal)
While My Guitar Gently Weeps (Third version – Take 27)
(You’re so Square) Baby, I Don’t Care (Studio jam)
Helter Skelter (Second version – Take 17)
Glass Onion (Take 10)

CD 6: Sessions
I Will (Take 13)
Blue Moon (Studio jam)
I Will (Take 29)
Step Inside Love (Studio jam)
Los Paranoias (Studio jam)
Can You Take Me Back? (Take 1)
Birthday (Take 2 – Instrumental backing track)
Piggies (Take 12 – Instrumental backing track)
Happiness is a Warm Gun (Take 19)
Honey Pie (Instrumental backing track)
Savoy Truffle (Instrumental backing track)
Martha My Dear (Without brass and strings)
Long, Long, Long (Take 44)
I’m so tired (Take 7)
I’m so tired (Take 14)
The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill (Take 2)
Why don’t we do it in the road? (Take 5)
Julia (Two rehearsals)
The Inner Light (Take 6 – Instrumental backing track)
Lady Madonna (Take 2 – Piano and drums)
Lady Madonna (Backing vocals from take 3)
Across the Universe (Take 6)

Blu-ray: The BEATLES (‘White Album’)Audio Features:
: PCM Stereo (2018 Stereo Mix)
: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (2018)
: Dolby True HD 5.1 (2018)
: Mono (2018 Direct Transfer of ‘The White Album’ Original Mono Mix)

Deluxe [3CD digipak / 180-gram 4LP vinyl box set (limited edition) / digital audio collection]
2018 Stereo Mix Esher Demos
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 03:10:55 AM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2018, 10:19:46 AM »

Back In The U.S.S.R. (2018 Mix)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd1zG9isRqI

The Beatles (White Album) - Anniversary Releases

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dhy26KIOEI

The Beatles (White Album) Anniversary Releases - Giles Martin & Sam Okell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve1vaEIXhV0

The Unheard White Album: An Exclusive First Listen

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/beatles-unheard-white-album-exclusive-first-listen-727928/

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2018, 12:07:04 PM »

I'm waiting for the 50th anniversary of Abbey Road. The white album was documented pretty well on Anthology 3; AR wasn't. I'm not a person that needs to hear every outtake, every burp, every hiccup.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2018, 01:07:38 PM »

I'm really surprised that we're getting both the complete 10 minute version of "Revolution 1", and the complete 12 minute version of Helter Skelter.

Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2018, 02:12:57 AM »

three versions of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" are now out:

2018 Mix - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOKGcEfSwnY

Acoustic Ver./Take 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyZIanQ_Pmc

Esher Demo - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV-VSV0Utig

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2018, 10:30:30 PM »

Received my Deluxe collection today. Excited to dig into all this previously unheard Beatle music!

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx