gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:56:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl Wilson - 1973 Old Grey Whistle Test Interview  (Read 4612 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: May 02, 2018, 07:00:01 AM »

More from the OGWT archives. This time for some reason posted on Twitter instead of YouTube:

https://twitter.com/BBCArchive/status/991320563405803520

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 07:53:09 AM »

"Whispering equal" LOL!
Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 10:26:11 AM »

I had to check my audio a few times. Am I going deaf? No, just a couple of low talkers.
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 10:52:36 AM »

I just love it when these (legendary) clips appear from nowhere, in this case I believe it was never originally broadcast (?).
NOW when are the clips 'Tears' from TOTP  and the Acoustic (Forever etc) set on the David Frost Show going to see the light of day (even though they are apparently lost, along with many others), someone somewhere must have them  Embarrassed
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 03:46:19 PM »

Luckily a friend of Alan Boyd's recorded their first appearance (for 1971) on The David frost Show, thus we have the "Cool, Cool Water" snippet in the EH doco.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 06:55:16 PM »

While Carl always spoke softly, he seemed to somewhat adjust the volume of his voice to come closer to approximating that of the (usually louder) interviewer. Called "mirroring," it is an indicator of an empathetic personality type. This is funny because the person interviewing him speaks as softly as he does, which is unusual.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 04:19:42 AM »

Carl seems super relaxed  Smokin Cool Guy Smokin

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 06:16:28 AM »

While Carl always spoke softly, he seemed to somewhat adjust the volume of his voice to come closer to approximating that of the (usually louder) interviewer. Called "mirroring," it is an indicator of an empathetic personality type. This is funny because the person interviewing him speaks as softly as he does, which is unusual.

"Whispering" Bob Harris is something of an institution in the UK. And a breath of fresh air amidst all the shouters.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Mr. Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 07:06:35 AM »

RE: SMiLE, Carl is the king of understatement, but so little can mean so much. Miss the guy. What a class act he was.
Mr. Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 07:09:26 AM »

Wow, fascinating that Carl felt that Heroes and Villains hadn't really "come out" at that point.
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2018, 10:48:27 AM »

I don't consider myself to be an overly sensitive person, but your comment and associated emojis are in poor taste.
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2018, 11:56:28 AM »

Oh, I just took a closer look. Agree.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2018, 05:31:46 AM »

I don't consider myself to be an overly sensitive person, but your comment and associated emojis are in poor taste.

Why is that? honestly don't see it.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2018, 06:18:22 AM »

On the scale of "poor taste" in the history of this message board, I can't say a couple of smoking emojis referencing Carl's interview even rank.

I actually don't think Carl necessarily was smokin' a doob at this particular time that this interview took place. I'm also not a fan of emojis in general. But even taking all of that into consideration, the comment/emoji use in this case was pretty friggin' innocuous. Not something I'd do, but pretty innocuous.

There are far darker true stories concerning drugs and members of this band, of which making jokes may or may not be appropriate based on any given person's sensibilities.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2018, 12:24:38 PM »

On the scale of "poor taste" in the history of this message board, I can't say a couple of smoking emojis referencing Carl's interview even rank.

I actually don't think Carl necessarily was smokin' a doob at this particular time that this interview took place. I'm also not a fan of emojis in general. But even taking all of that into consideration, the comment/emoji use in this case was pretty friggin' innocuous. Not something I'd do, but pretty innocuous.

There are far darker true stories concerning drugs and members of this band, of which making jokes may or may not be appropriate based on any given person's sensibilities.
The man died of lung cancer.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2018, 01:37:06 PM »

The man died of lung cancer.

Yes, of course, and I've been more sensitive to that issue than most (decrying Mike having to specifically say Carl died of lung cancer on stage as opposed to simply mentioning his passing). I've lost close family members to lung cancer. I've often pointed out to people how, as Hugh Laurie mentioned as Dr. House, the only cancer people sometimes don't seem to be nearly as empathetic towards is lung cancer, pointing out ironically that lung cancer patients don't die from cancer, they die from guilt.

But I don't think a few emojis are so heinous, which as far as I can tell (and this is why I don't care for using emojis much in the first place) is either a reference to Carl acting moderately stoned in the interview due to smoking weed, or is a generic "cool as a cucumber" sort of reference. In either instance, these barely even make a reference to Carl's having smoked cigarettes throughout his life.

If a joke was made about how cool Carl always looked when he was holding a cigarette or something, then yeah, I'd say that would be unfortunate and in relatively poor taste.

But Carl's death and life was what it was. I don't think it's worth either glorifying his smoking, nor do I think it's worth kind of passively chastising him for it (which I believe people like Mike Love have done in a few isolated instances). And it's also worth noting that while cases like Carl's indicate it's highly likely smoking was the cause of the lung cancer, it's often if not usually not truly conclusively known in each individual case all of the factors that led to the condition.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 01:37:36 PM by HeyJude » Logged

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2018, 10:42:30 PM »

I was merely suggesting Carl may have smoked a joint before the interview. I'd be quite surprised if he didn't. Does it matter? not a bit...was just something that came into my head while watching the interview.

I have huge respect for Carl and would never intentionally disrespect him

I said he may have smoked a joint in 1972....You then bring up him dying 26 years later of lung cancer.  I would say YES, you are an overly sensitive person Marty.....maybe I am too because I'm really pissed off with having to even write this.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 10:52:38 PM by Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx