gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 06:23:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ? about Carl's late 70s vocals  (Read 6425 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« on: August 11, 2006, 08:21:14 PM »

Question:

On "It's Over Now", was there really a tape speed fault that caused Carl to sound the way he did, or was it because of his heroin usage? I'm asking because I noticed he sounded pretty much the same on "Life is For the Living" and that song that talks about the sound a cig makes when you throw it in the water (Pffft)-I can never remember the name of that one, although it's a great tune. Anyway, Carl sounded similar on those cuts, so was it really a tape speed fault, or was it from the horse?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MBE
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 09:58:09 PM »

Well herion may have been something Carl dabbled in. I doubt he was an addict in the true sense. Coke probably, booze ti sine extebt, but the herion thing in my eyes is overplayed.  I think Carl was probably on something at the time (pain killers were big with him 76-78) but to me it always sounded like it was an artistic choice in something like I'ts Over Now to sound a little depressed or hazy.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 10:11:50 PM »

Question:

On "It's Over Now", was there really a tape speed fault that caused Carl to sound the way he did, or was it because of his heroin usage?

I always thought it was the wrong tape speed because Marilyn's part also sounds slow. Many years ago I heard a bootleg tape of "It's Over Now" and "Life Is For The Living", and the vocals sounded fine.

On the Good Vibrations Box Set, there was a tape problem with "Do You Like Worms", so who knows...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 10:53:50 PM »

See, the thing is, he sounded exactly like that in live shows around that time period (the infamous Australian shows being a prime example).He sounded half-asleep. He speech was also heavily slurred ("shecond versh, Brrrrriiiiiiaaaaaannnn" still makes me laugh every time I hear it), and he seemed to always be making up parts that weren't there. The youtube stuff that's been posted is revealing.

It's that same voice that I hate so very much in "The Night was so young", ruining IMHO a rather pleasant song.

BTW...he recorded Livin With a Heartache allegedly stone-drunk...yet still sounded WORLDS better.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 12:56:28 AM »

BTW...he recorded Livin With a Heartache allegedly stone-drunk...yet still sounded WORLDS better.

Not stone-drunk... just pleasantly buzzed.  Roll Eyes

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
MBE
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 03:28:13 AM »

I dislike much of Love You for vocal and lyrical reasons so its funny that Night has decent vocals to me, at least compared to most of the other tracks. I like Carl's work on Adult Child because its so offbeat. To me Adult Child works better then Love You because I think the production is more sophisticated and also the voices are more on pitch. Now live you are right, Carl sounded like Elmer Fudd. The 1-77 video has him sounding kind of like this too. He was in top form for the It's OK special and Knebworth but in between ......
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 10:58:06 AM »

Ahhh, Andrew...I thought it was more than that. Close enough,though.   Razz

I dislike much of Love You for vocal and lyrical reasons so its funny that Night has decent vocals to me, at least compared to most of the other tracks. I like Carl's work on Adult Child because its so offbeat. To me Adult Child works better then Love You because I think the production is more sophisticated and also the voices are more on pitch. Now live you are right, Carl sounded like Elmer Fudd. The 1-77 video has him sounding kind of like this too. He was in top form for the It's OK special and Knebworth but in between ......

Adult Child was awesome IMHO. Don't know why in the hell "Still I dream of it" wasn't released, as it sounded like it was finished. I just really cannot stand Carl's vocals from this period. He sounds flatter than a saltine cracker on much of it...real half-assed. His voice changed so much from Holland  (as did everyone else except Al), and it really was unpleasant to these ears. Thank GOD he got his voice back. Compare these tracks vocally to anything Carl sang on BB85...

Lorenschwartz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 03:06:50 PM »

Question:

On "It's Over Now", was there really a tape speed fault that caused Carl to sound the way he did, or was it because of his heroin usage? I'm asking because I noticed he sounded pretty much the same on "Life is For the Living" and that song that talks about the sound a cig makes when you throw it in the water (Pffft)-I can never remember the name of that one, although it's a great tune. Anyway, Carl sounded similar on those cuts, so was it really a tape speed fault, or was it from the horse?
everybody wants to live just once...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2006, 03:08:29 PM »

Ahh...thank ya. I have the boot its on, but have no track indications.

GREAT song, desp. Carl's vocals. I love the harmonies...

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2006, 03:36:51 PM »

Am I the only one that wishes there was a better quality of 'Life is for the Living'? Its such a badass track yet its so muddy and the intro sounds like poop!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Lorenschwartz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2006, 05:06:47 PM »

Am I the only one that wishes there was a better quality of 'Life is for the Living'? Its such a badass track yet its so muddy and the intro sounds like poop!
the cigarette butt,poop, get it....? it shouldve been titled Anal Child,huh?
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2006, 05:18:24 PM »

maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, if only you put an effort into your inane comments, you coulve been funny!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Lorenschwartz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2006, 07:33:24 PM »

maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, if only you put an effort into your inane comments, you coulve been funny!

well i do live in Vegas, ya know Joe...

everyone...listen to Laurie's new song Away in the Clouds..its beeautiful!!!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2006, 10:20:26 PM »

Maybe because I've had too much to smoke drink, but I lol'd.

Anal Child?! Isn't that the name of the new Michael Jackson album....?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 10:21:23 PM by The Legendary Billy C » Logged

Lorenschwartz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2006, 01:20:57 PM »

EEEEWWWWWW!
Sir, Mr. Legend, even i find this post appaling and lacking the high standards set forth by our esteemed Moderators, of course!!! how   dare  You!!!
if i ever find your address, i'll, i'll ban you forever from the SMILEY SMILE  board myself!!!

just pulling yr leg...pretty extreme, anyway, you schlocked me man!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2006, 02:39:27 PM »

LOL

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2006, 10:48:39 PM »

EEEEWWWWWW!
Sir, Mr. Legend, even i find this post appaling and lacking the high standards set forth by our esteemed Moderators, of course!!! how   dare  You!!!
if i ever find your address, i'll, i'll ban you forever from the SMILEY SMILE  board myself!!!

just pulling yr leg...pretty extreme, anyway, you schlocked me man!
Die.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx