gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:17:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is Beatles Dated?  (Read 2140 times)
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 21, 2018, 01:58:36 AM »

I created the same thread on PSF, but since I want to know what people here would think, I'll start one here:

I saw a tweet today, oh boy: (originally written in Japanese)

"My dad would always say to me in my childhood, "what is great about The Beatles is they're never dated, even now."
Recently, I had a chance to see him first time in ages, and he was still saying that. I finally was able to tell him they're f**king dated."

I was kinda offended by this tweet, for I do believe many of, or at least some of their works are definitely timeless (i.e. Strawberry Fields Forever) Sure, some of them, especially the early ones sound somehow of-the-times, but that doesn't mean they're dated.

Now, what do you think about this? Do you think the Beatles is dated, or not?
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 06:17:11 AM »

I think that you could look at certain periods after 1970 when The Beatles seemed out of step with the times - the punk movement into the New Wave, for example. Then, I think many people thought of the band as a relic from the past. But then in the mid to late 80s, I think they came back and then were enormously popular again in the 1990s. Then the 1 comp was huge in the early 2000s. Maybe we are at a stage now where they are once again out of step. I'm not entirely sure as I don't really have a firm grasp on what's "in" right now. But I'm confident that it will go back to The Beatles again demonstrating that, yes, their music is timeless.
KDS
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 06:50:37 AM »

I think that you could look at certain periods after 1970 when The Beatles seemed out of step with the times - the punk movement into the New Wave, for example. Then, I think many people thought of the band as a relic from the past. But then in the mid to late 80s, I think they came back and then were enormously popular again in the 1990s. Then the 1 comp was huge in the early 2000s. Maybe we are at a stage now where they are once again out of step. I'm not entirely sure as I don't really have a firm grasp on what's "in" right now. But I'm confident that it will go back to The Beatles again demonstrating that, yes, their music is timeless.

The Beatles are pretty far from whats "in" in 2018, and thats a compliment.   
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 08:17:25 AM »

Clearly they are still very popular almost fifty years later and still sell millions of albums to new generations-far from dated they've become timeless and only time will tell how many of our current artists are able to have such career longevity. Will anyone be listening to Taylor swift or even Kanye west in fifty years? Only the future knows
MugginsXOXOXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 12:31:48 PM »

Not sure about Taylor Swift, but Kanye will most likely be remembered as one of the most important producers/performers of his generation. Anyone with even a passing interest in Rap and R&B have a lot to thank him for. Yeezus is a masterpiece, and my vote for best Rap album of the new Millennium.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 08:48:18 AM »

The thread's question & the main post seem to be directed at music, not relevance - I then say yes, Beatles is dated. SFF is dated to these ears, since initial listen to it back in 2009, as well as disappointment that this is song people praised (cool ending aside). TNK people say sounds fresh but when I listen to these oft-told "modern" Beatles songs, I realize it's due to Ringo's drumming.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx