gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:29:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Article ranking Rock Hall of Fame members  (Read 1903 times)
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2018, 07:58:51 PM »

http://www.vulture.com/2018/05/rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-artists-ranked-from-best-to-worst.html

By Bill Wyman, not the Stones ex-bassist but the rock journalist active since the early 80s. (The Stone Alone once had a lawyer send him a letter demanding he stop calling himself Bill too but the journo kept his byline.)

All 214 groups and solo artists in the Rock’n’Roll Hall Of Fame are ranked by Wyman in the piece, best to worst. I’d disagree with most of the rankings, starting with his putting the BBs at 51. But I’m linking to this not because of his rockcrit ramblings  but because he interviewed a number of the people involved with the Hall over the years, right up to Jann Wenner himself, and what they have to say sheds considerable light on why and how some artists got into the Hall and others didn’t. So it’s worth scrolling to those parts.
KDS
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 06:30:36 AM »

http://www.vulture.com/2018/05/rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-artists-ranked-from-best-to-worst.html

By Bill Wyman, not the Stones ex-bassist but the rock journalist active since the early 80s. (The Stone Alone once had a lawyer send him a letter demanding he stop calling himself Bill too but the journo kept his byline.)

All 214 groups and solo artists in the Rock’n’Roll Hall Of Fame are ranked by Wyman in the piece, best to worst. I’d disagree with most of the rankings, starting with his putting the BBs at 51. But I’m linking to this not because of his rockcrit ramblings  but because he interviewed a number of the people involved with the Hall over the years, right up to Jann Wenner himself, and what they have to say sheds considerable light on why and how some artists got into the Hall and others didn’t. So it’s worth scrolling to those parts.

Apologies to rn57 for my rant, as I know it wasn't your intention to turn this into another RNRHOF smear campaign, but they just make it so darn easy

I'll respect anyone's opinion on the matter, but as soon as I saw Nirvana at #8, I was immediately turned off.  

Then, to see RUN DMC and Public Enemy ranked ahead of Jerry Lee Lewis, Pink Floyd, The Kinks, Johnny Cash, Ray Charles, The Who, Springsteen, and The Beach Boys!!!  

That's like putting Michael Jordan ahead of Willie Mays, Roberto Clemente, Cal Ripken Jr, and Bob Gibson as Baseball Hall of Famers.   Except the Baseball Hall of Fame isn't dumb enough to elect somebody who didn't play baseball.   Yet, Jann Wenner's organization is dumb enough to elect rappers into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.  
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 06:32:06 AM by KDS » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 09:18:08 AM »

One of my friends sent the link yesterday to me and another friend with the subject line "you boys like getting mad?"

That more or less says it all.

It's kind of a clickbait exercise, a time-tested way to get everyone to read and then talk about an article, as no two lists will ever be alike ... and usually not even similar. (For example, like KDS I was annoyed to see Nirvana so high, and I'd add the Sex Pistols as laughably overrated, yet he and I would argue about the definition of rock and roll and whether rap merits a spot, not to mention no doubt over the merits of even many "pure" rock bands.) So I try not to say much about these things. Because, really, why? My blood pressure is fine. I'd like to keep it that way.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
KDS
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 09:35:24 AM »

One of my friends sent the link yesterday to me and another friend with the subject line "you boys like getting mad?"

That more or less says it all.

It's kind of a clickbait exercise, a time-tested way to get everyone to read and then talk about an article, as no two lists will ever be alike ... and usually not even similar. (For example, like KDS I was annoyed to see Nirvana so high, and I'd add the Sex Pistols as laughably overrated, yet he and I would argue about the definition of rock and roll and whether rap merits a spot, not to mention no doubt over the merits of even many "pure" rock bands.) So I try not to say much about these things. Because, really, why? My blood pressure is fine. I'd like to keep it that way.

I agree that The Sex Pistols are also insanely overrated.   
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx