gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:57:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson done barbershop quartet style!  (Read 3090 times)
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 13, 2018, 02:45:53 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=32&v=mLEq7MT7vbM

Cook pork throughly
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 05:29:25 AM »

This dude can sing barbershop quartet. Most of the BQ songs I listen to on Youtube are quite sloppy, but this guy is crisp and precise. A fun (fun, fun) take on the song. Thanks.
Seaside Woman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 07:48:18 AM »

I loved this. Kudos ...

Caretaker in an aesthetic prison of my own dimension.
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 05:08:31 PM »

That was great!
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 01:10:58 AM »

horrible
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 12:51:32 PM »

horrible

Ditto. And shouldn’t it be in the media/Youtube thread?
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 07:20:48 PM »

Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed this!
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 11:06:01 AM »

COMMENT:  I have always enjoyed the barbershop quartet style, as does Brain. Thanks for posting. Really enjoyed the production and video overdub concept, and the high performance values. ~swd
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 01:48:17 PM »

Wanted to post before reading other reactions so as to type uninfluenced...FIRST...I have been a bit of a barbershop quartet listener since I was about 2 1/2-3 when my Mom introduced me to that 'sound'.  Maybe it's a reason why I have appreciated the Beach Boys since Surfin' U.S.A. was released.  Their 1963 output, vocally speaking, was outstanding really.   I could hear some of that...sort of...you know...harmonies with their more unique vocal recordings.  Different but pleasing to the ear.  SECOND...Imagine a Quartet comprised of identical quadruplets.  Now THAT was different.  Wink  THIRD...Not really a typical barbershop style 'thing'.  It contained a little more musical imagination with that specific arrangement.

I liked it a LOT...but...I'm not sure that I would enjoy an entire album's worth.  These days I enjoy a barbershop quartet approximately to the same degree as a pipe band...and I AM a former bass drummer with a pipe band.  They both are great as part of the over-all diet but I don't really want either as my main course.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Spoonito
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 08:42:14 PM »

"They both are great as part of the over-all diet but I don't really want either as my main course." So true! But to echo what others have said, I like how this guy "gets" the Barbershop sound, rather than just singing four parts and calling it barbershop. It's an interesting take on the Beach Boys for sure, to push the music farther in that direction and bring out all those 7ths and tritone substitutions and whatever other tricks barbershoppers are doing all the time that blow my mind without me even knowing how. I've always wanted to see the National Championships... has anyone here been to one of those? http://www.barbershop.org/competitions/international-champions/quartet-champions/

Not gonna lie... listening to barbershop didn't make me the coolest kid in junior high.
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2018, 08:50:32 PM »

If it wasn't for barbershop, I don't know if I would have become the BB lover that I am. I grew up with my father heavily involved with his quartet and his membership in the SPEBSQSA.  It was the many hours listening to them rehearse in our basement and the annual SHOWS staged for the benefit of Boys Town that became ingrained in my musical soul. I was there all the way back to the Buffalo Bills (of Music Man fame). If you want to hear pure vocal magic watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZEVSpGTUTs

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx