gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:27:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian in 1985 Studio Footage  (Read 7683 times)
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 12, 2018, 06:29:04 AM »

Does anyone know which program this comes from? I would love to see more of this, unlike most I happen to love the 1985 album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB0APWy-Blw
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 06:53:36 AM »

I love BB85 too, and I'd love to see more footage like this!
KDS
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 06:58:31 AM »

Does anyone know which program this comes from? I would love to see more of this, unlike most I happen to love the 1985 album.

I've become a recent member of the cult of BB85 myself. 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 07:12:08 AM »

IIRC it comes from a news report. The whole thing was up on youtube years ago. It featured comments by Brian, Landy and Steve Levine, I believe.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 07:21:30 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 07:14:01 AM »

I wish I knew what program this footage is from.

I really like the BB85 album. I didn't at first. I used to have a hard time with the 80s production. But it doesn't bother me now. Lots of great songs on it.
KDS
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 07:20:23 AM »

I wish I knew what program this footage is from.

I really like the BB85 album. I didn't at first. I used to have a hard time with the 80s production. But it doesn't bother me now. Lots of great songs on it.

I grew up in the 80s, so that sound is part of my childhood.   As I got older, and got into 60s and 70s music, I resisted it, but now in my late 30s, I've grown to appreciate the nostalgia I get from the 80s pop sound.   

Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 07:56:51 AM »

I have the feature on VHS somewhere, if I remember correctly it was a 5 minute part of a Uk Music programme and showed snips of the Red Bus studio sessions
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 08:59:24 AM »

The '85 album fascinates me. I can't say I'm a fan completely; I only like 5 songs on it. But it is the last Beach Boys album with more than one good song on it (for me anyway) until TWGMTR. While there are two Brian tunes on '85 that I enjoy, the album really belongs to Carl.

Anyway, neat footage. 'I'm So Lonely’ is one of those two Brian tunes I mentioned above. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person that loves that song.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 09:04:26 AM by Summer_Days » Logged

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 09:30:09 AM »

The '85 album fascinates me. I can't say I'm a fan completely; I only like 5 songs on it. But it is the last Beach Boys album with more than one good song on it (for me anyway) until TWGMTR. While there are two Brian tunes on '85 that I enjoy, the album really belongs to Carl.

Anyway, neat footage. 'I'm So Lonely’ is one of those two Brian tunes I mentioned above. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person that loves that song.

You're not the only one Summer_Days. I love 'I'm So Lonely' too. Probably my favorite song on the album
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 10:41:28 AM »

You're not the only one Summer_Days. I love 'I'm So Lonely' too. Probably my favorite song on the album

I'm also a fan, but it frustrates me when Brian starts singing "I've wished..." at 1:00 and it sounds poor compared to the same passage later in the song at 2:00. The difference may just be that the vocal is double tracked later in the song, but it sounds so much better as a result.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 10:51:59 AM »

I love most of BB85 but honestly Brian’s contributions bring the album down (which is very difficult for me to say). That said, IMHO it features the best vocals of Carl’s career.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 03:37:03 PM »

If anyone has old issues of esq I wrote a two part article about the bbs tv appearances. This was broadcast on a show called ear say in the U.K.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2018, 03:40:49 PM »

Also should point out that the lp came out in 1985 but was recorded in 1984. The footage is from July 1984
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2018, 11:49:22 PM »

I like Brian's contributions. Not his strongest material ever but pretty solid overall. Carl's singing is impressive but I prefer his vocals up to the late 70s. Something in his voice changed after that, can't really put my finger on it though. In a way this was their 80s Sunflower, a group effort with Brian's active involvement, just not quite as good of course. Getcha Back/Male Ego was a very strong single.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2018, 06:43:49 AM »

The other Brian song that a lot of fans seem to dislike on '85 is 'It's Just a Matter of Time'. I actually like that one more than 'I'm So Lonely'. It's got a nice doo wop feel and Mike's vocals don't get on my nerves like his vocals during this era often do. In fact, it's pretty nice. I first heard a bit of the song in the 1985 An American Band documentary where Brian sings it onstage. Until I got the KTSA/BB85 twofer I didn't know what that song was. Neat little tune.

Now, 'Male Ego', I've tried to get into that one but to no avail. It's good for a laugh but not very many listens.

KDS
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2018, 06:46:03 AM »

The other Brian song that a lot of fans seem to dislike on '85 is 'It's Just a Matter of Time'. I actually like that one more than 'I'm So Lonely'. It's got a nice doo wop feel and Mike's vocals don't get on my nerves like his vocals during this era often do. In fact, it's pretty nice. I first heard a bit of the song in the 1985 An American Band documentary where Brian sings it onstage. Until I got the KTSA/BB85 twofer I didn't know what that song was. Neat little tune.

Now, 'Male Ego', I've tried to get into that one but to no avail. It's good for a laugh but not very many listens.

I enjoy It's Just a Matter of Time far more than I'm So Lonely (still a good song). 

I can see why Male Ego wasn't on the album proper. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2018, 06:54:20 AM »

I think the malaise from fans regarding "It's Just a Matter of Time" is that it uses the *same* chord pattern heard on a BILLION doo-wop songs. I remember watching a PBS doo-wop special some years back, and seemingy nearly every song was literally musically the *same song.* So Brian's song does the same (though the sort of "bridge" segments stray a bit). But the verses are "This Boy" and a million other songs.

At least "I'm So Lonely" has an interesting chord change, and isn't the same cliché set of chords. And, "Male Ego", as awful as the lyrics are, is musically a great slice of Brian, the one song on the album that sounds more like Brian produced it than Steve Levine.

But as many have said, Carl's tracks are by leaps and bounds the best stuff on BB '85, both his writing and vocals. (Though I wish I could "un-learn" the idea that "Where I Belong" is about alleged cult leader John-Roger Hinkins.)

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2018, 08:34:38 AM »

The other Brian song that a lot of fans seem to dislike on '85 is 'It's Just a Matter of Time'. I actually like that one more than 'I'm So Lonely'. It's got a nice doo wop feel and Mike's vocals don't get on my nerves like his vocals during this era often do.

Agreed. Similarly, I also enjoy 'Why Don't They Let Us Fall In Love'. While Mike's lead vocals became increasingly problematic from '76 onwards, his bass vocals were still very good.

But as many have said, Carl's tracks are by leaps and bounds the best stuff on BB '85, both his writing and vocals.

Be that as it may, the only Carl song (whether co-written or lead vocalist) that I consider a highlight is 'Where I Belong'.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2018, 08:52:36 AM »

Carl's '85 tunes are definitely the highlights. 'Where I Belong' is my favorite Beach Boys song of the '80s (Brian's 'Melt Away' is my favorite BBs-related and I think I like it more than WIB).

'It's Gettin' Late is a close second though. God I love that song. Carl's vocal is unreal. It surprises even me how often I listen (with glee) to it. 'Maybe I Don't Know' is really strong too.

Should we just go ahead and rename this thread "The Beach Boys '85 Appreciation Thread'? :D

KDS
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2018, 09:23:11 AM »

Carl's '85 tunes are definitely the highlights. 'Where I Belong' is my favorite Beach Boys song of the '80s (Brian's 'Melt Away' is my favorite BBs-related and I think I like it more than WIB).

'It's Gettin' Late is a close second though. God I love that song. Carl's vocal is unreal. It surprises even me how often I listen (with glee) to it. 'Maybe I Don't Know' is really strong too.

Should we just go ahead and rename this thread "The Beach Boys '85 Appreciation Thread'? :D

Maybe I Don't Know is one of the great unsung gems in the Beach Boys' catalog. 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2018, 09:24:06 AM »

Works for me!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2018, 10:00:15 AM »

If it makes everyone feel better, I still hate the album.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2018, 11:10:11 AM »

Hey captain, I seriously don't like most if it. Lord knows I've tried, since I really enjoy those five tracks I talked about above so much, but 'California Calling' is embarrassingly bad, 'Crack at Your Love' is underwhelming at best, 'She Believes in Love Again' puts me to sleep, 'Male Ego' is ridiculous, 'I Do Love You' and 'Passing Friend' are well intentioned but meh, and 'Getcha Back' is an unfinished undernourished clunker that is way overrated in my opinion. But I know there are many who love a lot if not all of the album and I never tire talking about how cool those five songs are.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2018, 11:25:37 AM »

Crack at your love, I'm so Lonely, California Calling,  and especially It's just a matter of time are down near the bottom of the pantheon of BB songs for me, and She Believes in Love Again is just meh. Passing Friend would be
 better if it were shorter, but I actually like it. Other than that, I really like the rest of the album

AllIWannaDo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2018, 11:32:35 AM »

il admit ive never listened to the album for fear of 80s production (which i HATE), but interested in hearing the song quality sounds fairly positive. are there any boots of the demo's or sessions / out takes that became of the nature of what they are, wouldn't have the 80s production that the finished released album had?
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx