gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:06:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fleetwood Mac drops Lindsey Buckingham from their upcoming tour lineup.  (Read 4662 times)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 09, 2018, 07:04:08 PM »

And I feel like it’s appropriate to post this story on this forum as the last time I saw this much uproar over a band personnel change was with The Beach Boys and the C50 debacle and with the details just as vague and confusing.  Nobody seems to be sure whose decision it was.  Buckingham has left the band before but returned in 1997 and has acted as the band’s de facto leader ever since.  And he only just wrapped up a duo tour with Christine McVie last year, promoting an album that featured the Fleetwood Mac lineup, minus Stevie Nicks (just like old times, this may have been a Lindsey vs. Stevie thing).  I’m a Fleetwood Mac fan myself but I can’t imagine seeing them without Lindsey.
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/fleetwood-mac-fires-lindsey-buckingham-w518925
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 07:33:51 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 07:18:09 PM »

Crazy stuff! When I saw the story I thought it might be a late April Fools joke.

Some reports have  Lindsey being fired.

Added are Neil Finn of Crowded House and The Heartbreakers Mike Campbell on lead guitar.

I look forward to hearing the band members comments.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 07:57:54 PM »

Considering that the last "Fleetwood Mac" album wasn't really Fleetwood Mac, is this really a big deal? They trade Stevie Nicks' absence for Lindsey Buckingham's absence.
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 08:20:30 PM »

I was just reading about the various incarnations of Fleetwood Mac before I saw this thread. Here is Billy Burnett , singing Angel Come Home with Mick Fleetwood's Zoo - Billy later subbed for Buckingham in Fleetwood Mac. This video makes me appreciate
Dennis' take on Carl's song even more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPm5Ogz8YAA
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 04:15:24 AM »

What up with that, anyone?      Huh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p8hZFMqCcY
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 04:57:49 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 07:18:19 AM »

So anybody kinda feel like the money hungry Mick Fleetwood and Stevie Nicks (the only member who didn't wanna make a new album) are the Mike Love's of Fleetwood Mac world? Now obviously, unlike The Beach Boys, Mick Fleetwood and John McVie indeed should have more say over who's in the band than Lindsey, as Lindsey joined their band, but it is interesting that when Stevie wanted to do her little solo album and tour with whoever they would hold up the works for her. But if Lindsey wanted to do something similar (which is what this seems like), well they have no time for him. Seems like a double standard.

And then you got Stevie who would basically badmouth Lindsey in every interview and who basically refused to work on new Fleetwood Mac material with him since 2003's Say You Will. I suppose we could mention that she added a 40 year old song and a few vocals to their 2013 EP entitled Extended Play, but it's obvious that we got that and the Lindsey Buckingham/Christine McVie album instead of a full length Fleetwood Mac album because Stevie didn't wanna work with Lindsey. Which is her right, just as Mike doesn't have to work with Brian and Al. But just like Mike, instead of admitting she just didn't wanna work with Lindsey, she would say things in interviews like "nobody buys albums anymore so why should we make new albums" while, you know, putting on new solo albums and thus making a joke of her entire point.

Now, unlike Brian and Al's last very short tenure in the touring Beach Boys group, Lindsey had been playing with the Mac since 1997, and if you haven't seen him with them by now, you can't say you didn't have a chance. But for those who might just be getting into the group and wanted to see the Rumours five, well that opportunity is gone for now. But here's hoping that as a Buckingham fan that on his next tours he will dig deeper into his catalog and play some deeper cuts from Tusk, Tango In The Night, Law and Order and Go Insane.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 07:08:20 AM by Jim V. » Logged
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 07:56:15 AM »

So anybody kinda feel like the money hungry Mick Fleetwood and Stevie Nicks (the only member who didn't wanna make a new album) are the Mike Love's of Fleetwood Mac world? Now obviously, unlike The Beach Boys, Mick Fleetwood and John McVie indeed should have more say over who's in the band than Lindsey, as Lindsey joined their band, but it is interesting that when Stevie wanted to do her little solo album and tour with whoever they would hold up the works for her. But if Lindsey wanted to do something similar (which is what this seems like), well they have no time for him. Seems like a double standard.

And then you got Stevie who would basically badmouth Lindsey in every interview and who basically refused to work on new Fleetwood Mac material with him since 2003's Say You Will (I suppose we could mention that she added a 40 year old song and a few vocals to their 2013 EP entitled Extended Play, but it's obvious that we got that and the Lindsey Buckingham/Christine McVie album instead of a full length Fleetwood Mac album because Stevie didn't wanna work with Lindsey. Which is her right, just as Mike doesn't have to work with Brian and Al. But just like Mike, instead of admitting she just didn't wanna work with Lindsey, she would say things in interviews like "nobody buys albums anymore so why should we make new albums" while, you know, putting on new solo albums and thus making a joke of her entire point.

Now, unlike Brian and Al's last very short tenure in the touring Beach Boys group, Lindsey had been playing with the Mac since 1997, and if you haven't seen him with them by now, you can't say you didn't have a chance. But for those who might just be getting into the group and wanted to see the Rumours five, well that opportunity is gone for now. But here's hoping that as a Buckingham fan that on his next tours he will dig deeper into his catalog and play some deeper cuts from Tusk, Tango In The Night, Law and Order and Go Insane.

Agree, I saw the Buck/McVie tour, and loved it.  I am looking forward to the next solo record and tour.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 02:07:48 PM »

Considering that the last "Fleetwood Mac" album wasn't really Fleetwood Mac, is this really a big deal? They trade Stevie Nicks' absence for Lindsey Buckingham's absence.

They were very careful not to call the Buckingham McVie album a Fleetwood Mac album as that would imply that Stevie was no longer a member of which she very much was.  In fact, the full group including Stevie played the Classic East/West concerts last year between Buckingham McVie tour dates.  The fact that they’ve recruited two high profile replacements in Mike Campbell and Neil Finn says that they’re done with Lindsey for the time being.  And even for the 17 years Christine was gone from the band, they gave her keyboard parts to session players rather than replace her and avoided including her songs in the setlist, not to mention that they usually said in interviews that they were always open to her returning.  This is a very different situation.

beatle608
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 07:43:50 PM »

Huh? The last FM album was Say You Will (2003) which wasn't missing Stevie, but rather Christine.

Brian introduced The Little Girl I Once Knew by saying that the first two notes sounded "Chinese," but not to worry because the rest of the song was "American."    
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 07:51:29 PM »

I think SMiLE-addict meant the Buckingham McVie album, which wasn't a FM album.

I can't believe this. Lindsey is a close second to Stevie as my favorite FM band member. The dude is up there with Brian Wilson himself as one of my favorite producers and he might be my favorite guitarist too. I can't believe this.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2018, 11:50:03 AM »

My daughter was extremely upset as FM is one of her favorite bands of all time and we were hoping to catch a show this year with the full lineup.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2018, 12:09:36 PM »

My daughter was extremely upset as FM is one of her favorite bands of all time and we were hoping to catch a show this year with the full lineup.

Yeah, I was alternately crushed and angry since Lindsey is my favorite guitarist and I missed the 2014/15 tour when Christine came back. And the Buckingham McVie tour didn’t come to my state.

Hopefully Lindsey’s next album (which is supposed to be a pop album) will come soon.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2018, 09:22:15 AM »

Interview with the band about why they let Buckingham go. "We don't say 'fire' because that is such an ugly word..."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fleetwood-mac-moving-forward-band-130731020.html
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2018, 09:23:28 AM »

Interview with FM regarding the ouster of Buckingham. "We don't say 'fire' because that is such an ugly word..."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fleetwood-mac-moving-forward-band-130731020.html
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx