gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:04:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys Humor Album  (Read 3210 times)
PrayForSurf
Smiley Smile Associate

Pray For Surf is blogged by Phil Miglioratti

View Profile WWW
« on: April 07, 2018, 06:34:00 PM »

PRAY FOR SURF PODCAST

The Beach Boys "Humor Album"

Phil Miglioratti and Mark Dillon (author, "50 Sides of The Beach Boys") discuss the role of humor in the Beach Boys music. Each have selected an album's worth of songs ("Monster Mash")  , skits ("George Fell Into His French Horn"), and statements ("Cost too much") that put a SMiLE on your face. They approach humor as "a state of mind" that brings laughter or amusement and, in the case of the Beach Boys, allows them to poking fun, even at themselves.

Mark's list includes "Chug-A-Lug" and "Johnny Carson" while Phil's includes "'Cassius' Love vs 'Sonny' Wilson" and "Vegetables."

Note: Before the humor discussion, they discuss Phil's review of the 4/2/2018 Al Jardine concert (posted on PrayForSurfBlog

Spoiler ALERT: Mark's and Phil's "Humor Album" tracklists are available in the comment section.

Invitation: Please comment with your feedback and/or additional tracks

{ Rare Beach Boys videos @ www.YouTube.com/BB45s }

Hear here>>>
https://prayforsurfblog.blogspot.com/2018/04/podcast-beach-boys-humor-album-with.html

Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 08:09:57 AM »

Drive In is a must, if only for the visual of the drive-in authorities chasing violators. Always makes me laugh. County Fair (loser!, ooooh!) is also pretty funny. And then there's Battle Hymn of the Republic.
PrayForSurf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 11:31:47 AM »

Drive In is a must, if only for the visual of the drive-in authorities chasing violators. Always makes me laugh. County Fair (loser!, ooooh!) is also pretty funny. And then there's Battle Hymn of the Republic.

DI and CF were both included - good choices.

BHOTR? Please unpack that ...

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 01:52:55 PM »

"Battle Hymn" would presumably be in the "funny because it's bad" category. I have to say, while the BB's may individually have been funny guys in real life/in person, I've *rarely* laughed at anything they've said, done, or recorded. That is, with the exception of things they *didn't* intend to be funny. There's lot of that. Dennis's "Good Morning America" interview. Brian on Dick Clark's show in leather pants singing "Night Time." And so on.

I've never understood or found slightly funny Brian's PS/Smile-era explorations into "Humor", which have always come across to me like an android trying to understand "human humor."

As for the early stuff, I've never been struck by it being funny. Cute, or quaint, or sometimes dorky or some descriptor along those lines might be a more apt description.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 01:54:31 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
PrayForSurf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 03:11:34 PM »

"Battle Hymn" would presumably be in the "funny because it's bad" category. I have to say, while the BB's may individually have been funny guys in real life/in person, I've *rarely* laughed at anything they've said, done, or recorded.

I guess if beauty is in the eye of the beholder, it make sense that humor is in the ear of the hearer 😏

Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 11:21:23 AM »

DI and CF were both included - good choices.

BHOTR? Please unpack that ...
Brian forcing Mike to sing at superspeed is pretty funny.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx