gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:01:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grammy salute  (Read 2605 times)
feelintheflows
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 06, 2018, 12:00:31 PM »

Bee gees got one last year
Elton this year

The beach boys not good enough for one? And no the 2012 one at the Grammy doesn't count.
KDS
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 12:13:52 PM »

Bee gees got one last year
Elton this year

The beach boys not good enough for one? And no the 2012 one at the Grammy doesn't count.

It's just as well as these salutes usually feature far inferior artists.    The one they did for The Beatles in 2014 was pretty awful, and the one for The Bee Gees featured Ed Sheeran.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 12:47:06 PM »

I found The Beatles one to be fairly decent, and am looking forward to Sir Elton.

Honestly, The Beach Boys will never be featured at one of these because it is impossible for big name soloists to sing the songs. You need vocal groups to effectively perform 80% of the catalog and in a program that features individual "stars", the repertoire doesn't back up the formula.

I think a lot of it has to do with lyrics too. Just about any of the hits that preceed pet sounds have not aged well, lyrically. They sound incredibly dated and that's not something these programs want to be promoting. They are all over the top (democratically funded) networks and the last thing they want to do is harken back to the days of hamburger stands, woodies, and letterman sweaters...a little too MAGA for their style, I think. It probably doesn't help that Mike has his head up Trump's ass every chance he gets.

I didn't mean to make that political...but you can't talk about network television without the wires crossing.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 02:00:53 PM »

Aren't the Grammy salutes usually focused around artists that have won a number of Grammys? Other than the Grammy for the "Smile" box (which technically didn't go to the group itself), they haven't won anything beyond the Lifetime Acheivement Award in 2001 or so.

These "Salutes" are rarely that great; the ad hoc and often "duet" nature is often forced and awkward.

The Beatles one was about as good as one could expect. They got Paul and Ringo on stage together; that doesn't happen often. They got at least some era-appropriate artists who had worked with the Beatles collectively or on solo stuff (Frampton, Joe Walsh, Jeff Lynne, etc.), so it had a bit less of the "new artist who learned their Beatles song the day before the show" bits.

A BB show of that nature isn't something I would really want or need. If they were doing a reunion and used such a show to essentially promote the reunion, I would be fine with doing it. It's the sort of stuff an evolving post-2012 reunion continuation could have done.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 11:37:41 PM »

There already was a Tribute To Brian Wilson TV special some years back featuring various artists, so it's really already been done. Brian Wilson = Beach Boys, even though the others no doubt were talented. The next great outpouring of appreciation for BW will probably be (unfortunately) on the occasion of his passing.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 11:54:59 PM »

They probably remember the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and don't want to go poking that bear again  Wink
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 02:56:01 AM »

They probably remember the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and don't want to go poking that bear again  Wink

There's that too. Mike Love is simply put an unstable element that has very little in common with the ideals or values that the networks want to put on television. He's a totally outdated figure.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 09:37:22 PM »

I found The Beatles one to be fairly decent, and am looking forward to Sir Elton.

Honestly, The Beach Boys will never be featured at one of these because it is impossible for big name soloists to sing the songs. You need vocal groups to effectively perform 80% of the catalog and in a program that features individual "stars", the repertoire doesn't back up the formula.

I think a lot of it has to do with lyrics too. Just about any of the hits that preceed pet sounds have not aged well, lyrically. They sound incredibly dated and that's not something these programs want to be promoting. They are all over the top (democratically funded) networks and the last thing they want to do is harken back to the days of hamburger stands, woodies, and letterman sweaters...a little too MAGA for their style, I think. It probably doesn't help that Mike has his head up Trump's ass every chance he gets.

I didn't mean to make that political...but you can't talk about network television without the wires crossing.

The only "democratically" funded network is PBS, the others are corporately funded through ad revenue.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx