gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:32:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'Beach Baby' by First Class and Endless Summer Concurrent Chart Runs  (Read 9571 times)
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2018, 05:37:51 AM »

Every source on the internet, including interviews with Burrows, indicate that he did sing lead on Let's Go to San Francisco. Side note: Jon  Lord and Nick Simper were on the song and album.

I found this tidbit of Burrows reflecting on Beach Baby  and the Boys:

I heard that when Brian Wilson first heard “Beach Baby” he said, “I don’t know who it is, but it’s definitely West Coast America.” Which I took as a great, great tribute — I really did. I grew up with American pop music. We had recorded it as basically a tribute to the Beach Boys. I’ve since met him two or three times, and the other guys as well, and I’ve heard that when people are going into the theater for one of his shows, he often plays “Beach Baby,” which is really nice.

https://www.google.com/search?q=nick+simper&oq=nick+simper&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.2607j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2018, 06:12:40 AM »

Burrows also sang on Elton's Levon and Tiny Dancer!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2018, 08:03:06 AM »

Every source on the internet, including interviews with Burrows, indicate that he did sing lead on Let's Go to San Francisco. Side note: Jon  Lord and Nick Simper were on the song and album.

Not every source. But I'm most willing to stand corrected. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2018, 08:38:23 AM »

Ok. Each of the five I've read.  But I get it - he did have a tendency to sing on the records and have  others lip-sync on programs. Perhaps this is where the confusion lies?
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2018, 11:00:11 AM »

Ok. Each of the five I've read.  But I get it - he did have a tendency to sing on the records and have  others lip-sync on programs. Perhaps this is where the confusion lies?

It's possible he sang backup on it, but it's not mentioned on the band's wiki page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flower_Pot_Men

Odd that he's credited with recording the lead vocals on the song's wiki page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let%27s_Go_to_San_Francisco

The mystery deepens...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2018, 11:43:35 AM »

I've posted the question on the TB Facebook Fan page. Perhaps they have an AGD who has not been banned who can supply a definitive answer. (Although I doubt that he attracts very combative types.) I'll check back...
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2018, 11:59:18 AM »

Well. If Tony sang in "Let's Go To San Francisco" ( song which am very familiar with), he's very good at changing his voice. Did he sing like that in any other ballad/ slow songs? Do you know, Buckethead?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2018, 12:37:20 PM »

No, I don't. I really just learned that it was he who sang on the other songs mentioned.
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2018, 01:16:03 PM »

Here's the response to my query on the Facebook fan site. Oh, well. Tried.

Tony Burrows: "The Man of 1,000 Voices"
April 10 at 3:42pm

Hi Elizabeth, it would certainly be the understanding of we at Tony Burrows: "The Man of 1,000 Voices" that Tony sang lead on San Francisco. If your compadre has a source to the contrary, I'd be very curious to see/hear it. The following isn't definitive proof perhaps, but it is clearly Tony miming lead vocals on this vintage TV performance of the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puuWsTitPa4
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2018, 03:03:45 AM »

Here's the response to my query on the Facebook fan site. Oh, well. Tried.

Tony Burrows: "The Man of 1,000 Voices"
April 10 at 3:42pm

Hi Elizabeth, it would certainly be the understanding of we at Tony Burrows: "The Man of 1,000 Voices" that Tony sang lead on San Francisco. If your compadre has a source to the contrary, I'd be very curious to see/hear it. The following isn't definitive proof perhaps, but it is clearly Tony miming lead vocals on this vintage TV performance of the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puuWsTitPa4

That's brilliant. They are most likely right----they're the experts, after all. I rest my case.

As I understood it, Carter and Lewis had no inclination to go out on the road after they'd recorded it (with them doing the singing) so they assembled a touring band, with Tony Burrows taking lead vocals. That's the band in the video. There's a FPM comp called Listen to the Flowers Grow, whose liner notes (not online) are said to include quite extensive interviews with various Men. That might be illuminating. The second link below is intriguing but just as vague as everything else!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flower_Pot_Men

https://www.indeepmusicarchive.net/2014/09/4914-flower-pot-men-lets-go-san-francisco-1967/
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 07:14:52 AM by JK » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2018, 05:13:00 AM »

Ha! I was right then - he *can* change voices. That Facebook post even titled "The Man of 1,000 Voices". Cool fans there.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2018, 05:24:51 AM »

I guess we'll have to tolerate ambiguity, a useful life skill I haven't yet mastered.
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2018, 05:26:53 AM »

RangeRoverA1- I guess you are right! I never thought of it that way - "Man of 1,000 voices!"
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx