gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:44:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: This Week in BB History April 2 to 12  (Read 2099 times)
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 02, 2018, 03:53:35 PM »

Apr 5, 1963-The BBs appeared at the opening of the LA Teenage Fair in Burbank.  The next day they played in the parking lot at the grand opening of Build 'N' Save in Garden Grove. On April 12, 1963 they were at the Rendezvous Ballroom with the Centurions.  April 2 1964-The BBs worked on the track for I Get Around.  It was probably at this session that Brian and Murry had a terrible fight resulting in Brian telling him he was fired. The next day the BBs appeared at Whittier High School for a benefit with Pat Boone and Mahalia Jackson. Apr 10 1964-The BBs worked on vocals for I Get Around and did work on Little Honda and Girls On The Beach

Early Apr 1965- Sweetening work was done on the live Chicago tapes from March 26 and 27 but the project was soon shelved. Apr 5 1965-The BBs appeared at Melody Land with The Munsters and the Pat & Lolly Vegas Trio. The next day members of the group were in the studio to work on California Girls.  On April 7 1965 the BBs headed to ABC Studios with Brian to tape Shindig.  It aired on April 21 and featured them performing Do You Wanna Dance, Fun, Fun, Fun, Long Tall Texan, Please Let Me Wonder, Help Me Rhonda and Their Hearts Were Full of Spring.  On April 9, 1965 the BBs began a tour in New Orleans with Bruce performing with them for the first time.  He also filled in at Memphis on April 10 and Atlanta on April 11.  Glen Campbell, however, was back for the concert in Clearwater, FL on April 12 1965. The Tampa Times noted, “They started off with ‘Little Old Lady From Pasadena’ and sang other hits such as ‘Surfin USA,’ ‘In My Room,’ ‘Dance, Dance, Dance,’ ‘Do You Wanna Dance’ and ended up with their latest, ‘Help Me Rhonda.’”

Apr 2 1966 the BBs played in Fort Worth on a tour with the Lovin’ Spoonful and Chad and Jeremy.  They were in Houston the next day and then in San Antonio on April 4 and Austin on April 5. They were in Memphis on April 6 to play for 6,300 fans, then headed to Jacksonville and St Petersburg, where they played on April 8. The tour ended in Miami and Sharon Trainor reported for the Miami News that “Mike Love was a riot.  Dennis sang two songs.  And Bruce Johnston, who has taken Brian Wilson’s place, sang one song.”  While the BBs were on tour Brian held a session on April 3 1966 to add vocals and strings to ‘Don’t Talk.’  On April 9 1966 he was at Gold Star to work on Good Vibrations.  Two days later all of the BBs added vocals to Wouldn’t It Be Nice and God Only Knows. 

April 4-6 1967 the BBs were all at Sound Recorders to work on Vegetables.  On April 7 they went to Columbia to work on the
“Sleep a Lot” section) April 10 they were back at Sound Recorders for the famous session for Vegetables attended by Paul McCartney.  Work was also done on Child Is Father to the Man (version 3) and Wonderful (version 3).  Brian and Paul enjoyed each other’s company and ended up making a late night visit to John and Michelle Philip’s house where Brian directed them all in a jam with, “Brian on glasses of water filled to various levels, Paul on cello, Michelle on drums and John on bugle.” The evening of course had a greater significance-because Paul played him She’s Leaving Home and described Sgt. Pepper.  Apr 11, 1967 a session was held at Western for Carl’s song Tones (Tune X) and then the group were at Sound Recorders for more work on Vegetables. Another session took place the next day for that song as well.  As the BBs were heading out on tour and wouldn’t be back till May 21 at the earliest this clearly meant that Smile was in serious trouble-as it could not possibly be completed without much more work.

April 2 1968-The BBs worked on Anna Lee the Healer at ID Sound.  That same day a story appeared in the papers that Brian has been given 60 days by the Bel Air town council to repaint his house-which was purple.  The next day the BBs probably worked on Be Still (the AFM says April 13 but this is impossible) and on April 4 1968-Brian was at ID Sound to work on Transcendental Meditation.  The BBs had flown to Nashville to prepare for their tour with Buffalo Springfield and the Strawberry Alarm Clock but the tour ran into trouble when Martin Luther King was killed that day.  The Nashville show was canceled and the BBs spent April 5 killing time at a Holiday Inn.  They managed to play a college date the next day but two other North Carolina shows were postponed. They played at Clemson University on April 7 and then were in Charleston, SC on April 8, a show fondly recalled by a number of people I’ve met. The tour headed to Florida with three shows on April 9.  They were at the University of Florida on April 10.  However Georgia remained tense (due to riots following King’s death) and both shows on April 11, 1968 were canceled.  While the BBs were sitting in hotels with Buffalo Springfield, Brian was in the studio working on Busy Doing Nothing.  The next day he worked on Diamond Head, while the BBs played in Jacksonville.

April 2 1969 the BBs taped an appearance on The Mike Douglas TV Show.  This is the performance where they performed “I Can Hear Music” and Dennis did “Never Learn Not To Love” for probably the only time ever.  That same day Brian was in the studio working on Breakaway. The BBs were on tour and played in Virginia Beach on April 3 1969.  The next day they played at a children’s Hospital in St. Petersburg, FL.  It was one of a number of benefits on this tour booked to aid Carl’s draft case.  Brian explained to Bernard Barry of Disc & Music Echo, “It’s a kind of unofficial way of the group paying off our debt to the American government for allowing Carl to become a conscientious objector.  A few concerts here and there is the alternative to him emptying some bed pans in some hospital to substitute for military service.”

On April 4 1969 the BBs were in Tampa with the Classics IV, Tommy Roe, Joe Hicks). Kay Donahue of the St. Petersburg Evening Independent proclaimed that the group, “just keep getting better. Harmony is the Beach Boys biggest selling point.  ‘Good Vibrations’ the symbol of their harmonic perfection sounded better than ever last night. The blended surf sound of ‘California Girls’ ‘Rhonda’ and ‘Do It Again’ was marvelous.  Songs from the early days and from 20/20…filled their all too short hour on stage.” They played in Miami, Daytona Beach and Orlando after that (The Orlando stop included an afternoon appearance at a juvenile detention center). The BBs were in Jacksonville on April 9 and before the 830 PM show they watched open heart surgery, visited two children’s hospitals and held a concert for disadvantaged kids. They played in Atlanta on April 10 and the reviewer noted that they were already playing Buffalo Springfield’s Rock and Roll Woman, which would be in the set on the June European tour. They were in Sikeston, MO on April 11 and on April 12, 1969 they were in Nashville with Tommy Roe, The Yellow Payges, the 1910 Fruitgum Company, The Serfs and Joe Hicks.

Apr 2 1971-The BBs played at Porterville College with The Flame.  The next day they worked on Don’t Go Near the Water, Old Movie (Early Version of 4th of July) and Long Promised Road.  On Apr 12 and 13 they returned to the Whiskey, this time without Brian but with David Marks sitting in. The BBs seem to have offered David a job as bassist but he turned down the offer.  Apr 2 1972 the BBs played in Tampa, at what turned out to be Bruce’s last full show till 1978. He was out of the group by the time they played in Iowa on April 14.  Apr 4 1972-Brian held a session to record a version of the Crazy Elephant tune “Gimme, Gimme Good Lovin.”   Apr 9 1972-the BBs worked on
 What I Feel (working title of Make It Good) and Cuddle Up. April 12 1972-The BBs worked on All This Is That (adding vocals to the Dec 4 1971 Track) and on Hold On Dear Brother.

Apr 3 1973 the BBs played in Loretto, PA and then headed to NY for shows at St. John’s and CW Post College.  The St John’s Torch singled out Blondie for special praise declaring, “His absence would certainly be missed, especially on such songs as ‘Sail on Sailor’ and ‘Leaving This Town.’…He can play anything lying around on the stage, as do most of the Beach Boys.  ‘Wild Honey’ is ‘his’ song in concerts.” The next day the BBs played in Harrisburg, PA with Rod Argent of the Zombies and then in Philadelphia on April 6 with Spooky Tooth and Argent. The BBs played in Norfolk, VA on April 7-with a very young Bruce Springsteen, promoting his first album and were at OSU in Columbus, OH on April 8, 1973 with The Doobie Brothers. They played at Chapel Hill on April 10 and an attendee wrote that, “Carl Wilson proved that he is still 100 percent Beach Boy with his tender singing on Caroline No and Darling not to mention his surf sound guitar on Surfin USA, Johnny B Goode and I Get Around.” The BBs were in Atlanta on the 11th with Bruce Springsteen and in Gainesville on April 12 1973.

Apr 4 1974-Brian attended Larry Coryell’s show at the Troubadour and leapt onstage to sing Be-Bop-a-Lula, eventually being ejected.  Imagine being there that night! April 9 1974 the BBs opened a tour with Jim Stafford at the University of Mississippi.  The next day they were in New Orleans-Van Dyke Parks visited backstage-as seen in Billy H’s home movies of the tour. They were in Atlanta and at Auburn on April 11 and played in Tampa on April 12, 1974.  April 12 1977-a session was held for Brian’s unreleased song “Lines.”  Apr 3 1978-Dennis held a session for “Common.” Seven days later he worked on “He’s a Bum.” Apr 4 1979 a session was held for “Little Girl.” April 3 1980-The BBs taped an appearance on the Fridays TV show-they sang Keepin’ the Summer Alive, Goin’ On and Good Vibrations with Brian but without Dennis.  It aired in June.

Apr 3 1981 Brian held a session for an unknown song at Gold Star.   April 5 1981 Carl began his first solo tour at Park West in Chicago. The Tribune noted that he played “to a two-thirds empty house and that “his stage presence…works fine as part of the Beach Boys but comes off as woefully lackluster for someone fronting a band.” He then played in Detroit, Cleveland, Toronto and Boston.  He was at My Father’s Place on Long Island NY on April 11 and Emerald City in Cherry Hill, NJ on April 12 1981. 

Carl was back with the band for shows at the Holiday Star Theater in Merrillville, IN on April 2 and 3 1982 but then left again to finish his second solo album and was absent from their dreadful appearances at the Chateau De Ville in Framingham, MA on April 4-6 1982. Foskett told Brad Elliot that he considered the April 5 show their all time worst.  "Bruce and I had the flu.  Michael had such severe congestion he really could not sing. I was dueling every one of his leads.  Jardine was so upset with the fact that he couldn't even see the first person in the row because the smoke was so thick. And Brian was off in his own world.  Dennis was there and doing a damn good job that night because no one else was." They probably weren’t much better in Atlantic City from April 8-11 1982-how could they be with both Brian and Dennis in bad shape and Carl absent?  Think I’ll stop as this post is far too long!!

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 01:35:11 AM »

Thanks, Ian. Sad to read that revue of Carl's solo concert...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 06:20:23 AM »

I also have some positive reviews! But I think it did cause him to realize how muoh he relied on the other bbs. I certainly wish I'd seen him solo though.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 06:48:07 AM »

I also have some positive reviews! But I think it did cause him to realize how muoh he relied on the other bbs. I certainly wish I'd seen him solo though.

By that stage he wasn't gonna be a solo draw. It makes you think what would've happened if the band broke up in the late 70s and if Carl would've had better success. Would he toured with Dennis perhaps, and maybe have some involvement from Brian?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 07:04:29 AM »

I would also say, concerning Carl's solo shows in 1981, that reviewers of the era probably had a pretty specific set of criteria they would use to judge a show, and they probably expected a "personality", even at a club show.

I've heard a number of Carl's solo shows, and he had pros backing him. The shows always sounded tight both musically and vocally (Carl was certainly sounding just fine on his vocals).

Carl's "stage presence" was no different from, say, Roy Orbison's. Watch or listen to an Orbison show from that same era. He says "good evening" after the first song, maybe says a few words in between a few songs here and there, and then says "you've been a wonderful audience" before the final song of the show. That's it.

It's weird; I'd say the actual songs Carl was playing on those solo tours would be much more open to criticism than his "stage presence." The biggest criticism I could ever come up with for his solo stuff is that some of it was bland, and I actually think the live versions of the '81 tracks have much more life in them than the even more sterile-sounding studio versions.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 12:55:41 PM »

Apr 4 1972-Brian held a session to record a version of the Crazy Elephant tune “Gimme, Gimme Good Lovin.”   

Surprised nobody else noticed this. I'd seen this listed before on a sessions site, and figured it was either a cover of "Gimme Some Lovin'" or Brian and David Sandler's medley of "Baby I Need Your Lovin'" and "Gimme Some Lovin'" that he apparently proposed to The Beach Boys.

So if it was indeed "Gimme Gimme Good Lovin'" that would mean that Brian worked on both that tune and that other medley, right?

Or is this all still a confused mess?
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 01:25:42 PM »

I believe that is what the AFM says....maybe C Man can chime in on this
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx