gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:15:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Caribou Ranch (1975) fanmix  (Read 20629 times)
shangaijoeBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2018, 05:45:55 AM »

Hey everyone! It's been a long time since I posted here. I wanted to share my latest fanmix which is an attempt at a follow-up to The Beach Boys' Holland LP (aside from SMiLE, the other dear obsession of mine).

Mike Love, in a late '74 interview, talked about the unreleased new album:

"The band's new album is coming out in January (1975)(…) The album's a combination between Sunflower and Holland. It's got some of the feel that Holland had, but also sounds a bit like Sunflower in certain respects." (1974 interview with Harvey Kubernik)

This is the vibe I was going for with this mix. This LP is culled from the available '73 to '75 sessions (plus one '70 outtake). I wish that one day we'll be able to finally hear songs like "Just an Imitation", "Why Don't You Try Me?", "Earthquake Time", "Our Life Our Love Our Land", "Don't Let Me Go" and "Riding High on the Music"... 'until then, enjoy this "imaginary" LP! Smiley

https://youtu.be/3ePMKagxwVI

The Beach Boys - Caribou Ranch (1975)
Produced by The Beach Boys
Musical directors: Dennis Wilson and James William Guercio

Side A  (16:40)

1. Good Timin' (Brian Wilson/Carl Wilson) (2:10)
- My own mix of both the '74 and '78 version.

2. The River Song (Dennis Wilson/Carl Wilson) (4:02)
- My own mix of both the '74 version with bits of the POB version.

3. Shortenin' Bread (arr. by Brian Wilson) (2:50)
- The great soniclovenoize's remix from his Adult/Child mix. Track was started in '73 and finished in '77.

4. Back Home (Brian Wilson/Al Jardine/Bob Norberg) (2:22)
- MIC Box version. A Sunflower-era outtake that fits the bill for the "Sunflower meets Holland" vibe I was going for and leads well into…

5. Barnyard Blues (Dennis Wilson/Carl Wilson) (2:33)
- MIC Box version

6. Rollin' Up To Heaven (Brian Wilson) (2:44)
- My own remix from a bootleg edit.

Side B  (17:40)

7. It's OK (Brian Wilson/Mike Love) (2:11)
- MIC Box version. Love that new intro that starts side B with a punch!

8. Rainbows (Dennis Wilson/Carl Wilson/Stephen Kalinich) (2:56)
- The longer fade version from CD re-issue.

9. Had To Phone Ya (Brian Wilson/Mike Love/Diane Rovell) (2:37)
- Scott G's great remix of the song

10. My Love Lives On (Dennis Wilson/Stephen Kalinich) (2:33)
- MIC Box version

11. California Feelin' (Brian Wilson/Stephen Kalinich) (2:55)
- My own mix of both the '78 version with bits of the Brian demo from '74.

12. Holy Man (Dennis Wilson/Carl Wilson/Gregg Jakobson/Hawkins) (4:25)
- From the Legacy 2CD set. In an alternate universe somewhere, Carl would have sung this one (the melody sung by Hawkins is actually based on Carl's scratch vocal from '74)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 07:47:35 AM by shangaijoeBB » Logged
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 08:44:18 AM »

This is great! Shortening Bread really works great in this context. Thanks for making it!

FYI, all the timestamps in the YouTube clip are incorrect. Might be worth updating em'.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 08:45:20 AM by RONDEMON » Logged
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 12:56:42 PM »

Wonderful!  Would love a flac version of this.

Thanks for sharing, joe!  Cool Guy
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 05:30:40 AM »

This, if released in 1975, would have been a G'Odd-send.  Even as is it is it's so much better than 15 'big' Ones ever was...and there wouldn't have been that 3 year gap which was the 2nd or 3rd last thing that the Beach Boys needed up 'til some FOOL decided to release 'Rock 'n' Roll Music' instead of 'It's OK' as the summer of '76 single of choice.  To hand pick most of the best of 15 B.O. and toss it on to Caribou Ranch is totally sensible because most of '15'...is just filler.  Back Home is far superior here.  2 quibbles really...and both with the last 2 songs...California Feelin' contains some horribly off-putting and entirely out of tune bits and pieces.  I don't think I've ever heard anything that 'nails on a blackboard'-like from the Boys...on anything officially released...ever.  Much of it is great...but there are 3 or 4 parts where I just cringed.  O.K.  O.K.  I get what this is...I'm just sayin'.  And it would have been extra specially nice if Holy Man had actually been finished in a timely fashion but realities entered into the fray, Carl didn't step up to record the 'buff and polish' performance necessary in lieu of a certain wife having a certain negative effect on the whole enchilada and, of course, this version wasn't going to be available for something in the general vicinity of 1/4 of a century.

So one works with what one has...and this is brilliant...WELL WORTH taking the time to listen to it.  And i will again.  [and again...etc.]

Thank you Joe.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
shangaijoeBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 07:45:08 AM »

Thanks for all the kind comments!

I fixed the timestamps on YT.  3D

For a FLAC version, PM please!

Lee, im' sorry you didn't like my California Feelin' remix, I tried my best to mix the '74 demo bits with the '78 version. You could either switch the track with the official '74 demo or '78 remix version from the MIC box (I do prefer the Carl-sung version myself, even if the Brian demo is a really interesting artifact and one of his last vocal with his "classic voice"). I do wish that someday, on a mega deluxe Dennis boxset, we'll hear the Carl scratch vocal for Holy Man...

Cheers!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 07:50:44 AM by shangaijoeBB » Logged
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 07:54:03 AM »

Thanks for all the kind comments!

I fixed the timestamps on YT.  3D

For a FLAC version, PM please!

Lee, im' sorry you didn't like my California Feelin' remix, I tried my best to mix the '74 demo bits with the '78 version. You could either switch the track with the official '74 demo or '78 remix version from the MIC box (I do prefer the Carl-sung version myself, even if the Brian demo is a really interesting artifact and one of his last vocal with his "classic voice"). I do wish that someday, on a mega deluxe Dennis boxset, we'll hear the Carl scratch vocal for Holy Man...

Cheers!
To call it a scratch vocal is generous. It's literally a few seconds of humming.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 08:01:36 AM »

It's almost unbelievable how much great material the "Boys' left lying on the cutting room floor, in the various and sundry waste baskets, gathering dust on the plentiful shelves or just laying there, oxidizing on old reel to reel tapes...especially when compared to what was 'officially' released post 1974.  Sometimes full throttle was simply displaced with 1/2-baked and far less significant measures.  So?  They sometimes were guilty of merely being DUHHHHHHHHH Beach Boys.  Cry

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 02:47:06 PM »

I'm in awe of this, many many thanks 😊
Will certainly share the link to similar minded sad bastards like me (who sadly don't even frequent this board  Undecided)
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2018, 02:36:14 AM »

We really need a release of the 1973-1975 material. Besides the Smile-era it might be the most interesting and certainly most pivotal period of their maturing career.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 02:37:42 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
shangaijoeBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2018, 05:43:19 AM »

We really need a release of the 1973-1975 material. Besides the Smile-era it might be the most interesting and certainly most pivotal period of their maturing career.

Absolutely! A few weeks ago, I wrote to Rhino Handmade to suggest such a project. Everyone who loves this era of recordings should do the same! Maybe around 2023-2025 we will finally get such a release...

I scoured the internet to find info on this particular era and really not much was written about it. I think it could really make a nice article (ESQ? maybe). Maybe with some input from Stephen Kalinich...has anyone ever contacted him on Facebook and asked about this period? I bet he could have some nice insight on unreleased tracks like "You're Riding High On The Music", "Just an Imitation", etc.
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 01:31:18 PM »

Good Timin and Back Home have always been criminally too short.  I probably would have started this album with River Song, then Good Timin'.  But in spite of a great idea, half of this material is still pretty weak and nothing special to me.  Shortenin' Bread, Barnyard Blues and Rollin' Up To Heaven are all meh which makes this too inconsistent to enjoy for me.  But thank you for sharing your project.
shangaijoeBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2018, 02:02:59 PM »

Good Timin and Back Home have always been criminally too short.  I probably would have started this album with River Song, then Good Timin'.  But in spite of a great idea, half of this material is still pretty weak and nothing special to me.  Shortenin' Bread, Barnyard Blues and Rollin' Up To Heaven are all meh which makes this too inconsistent to enjoy for me.  But thank you for sharing your project.

I completely disagree with you on this, as I think that Shortenin' Bread, Barnyard Blues and Rollin' Up To Heaven are all great tracks to me! Oh well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder... Wink
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2018, 09:54:43 PM »

The River Song is EPIC!!!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
hongkongcrowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2018, 04:56:58 AM »

Really enjoy this mix - it has a great vibe.  I've always had a soft spot for Rollin' Up to Heaven - it's got a great fun silly groove although it's not an easy song to sing in public or around your kids.  

Do you think they could have gotten away with releasing such a tune back in the day and explained it's just a joke?  If so, the revisionists would have certainly had a field day years later, not to mention explaining this tune within this #MeToo era.  
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 05:02:16 AM by hongkongcrowe » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2018, 06:36:28 AM »

I can't imagine anyone thinking, then or now, that "Rollin' Up to Heaven" would be a justifiable album track, even with different "lyrics." Yes, I know one could argue they did something generally kind of similar with "Ding Dang", but that track on "Love You" is so short that it almost feels more like a "link track" than a "proper" song.

I guess I could envision like a 30-second "Rollin'...." as a link track. Not that I'd advocate for it, but that seems like the only plausible form I could see that track getting a contemporary 70s release on a "new" album.

I obviously don't see the track as anywhere near album-worthy. It's obviously interesting in a Beach Boys-themed archeological dig sort of way. But I've never pulled out "Rollin' Up To Heaven" and thought "Wow, that's a good *song*." 

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2018, 08:41:09 AM »

Got excited just by reading the titles, particularly by "Holy Man" at the end. Smiley
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 10:50:16 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2018, 12:29:45 PM »

Shortenin Bread is the type of song that might deserve to be on a rarities album but never on an album of new material.  It's awful.
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2018, 05:06:22 PM »

Shortnin' Bread is, on the contrary, epically great!  Anyone who thinks otherwise is just, um, just... wrong.
hongkongcrowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2018, 07:38:51 PM »

Both Shortenin' Bread and Rolling Up to Heaven are great examples of the BB genius - take a simple melody and add layers of vocals to make it something different.  Add in the early 70s looseness of the band and these are just great fun tunes.

Love that version of Had To Phone Ya - the horn in the beginning has a SMiLE feel to it - where is that version from?

« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 12:51:15 AM by hongkongcrowe » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2018, 06:48:32 AM »

"Shortenin' Bread" is obviously an important part of BB history and of Brian and the band's historical narrative. Same could be said for other similar stuff, including even "Rollin' Up to Heaven."

That doesn't mean they should have ever been on albums. First of all, "Shortenin' Bread" was a more fully-formed song, whereas "Rollin' Up to Heaven" sounds more like a tedious well-formed jam with nonsense "lyrics." I've never understood why anybody thinks anything about the song would have made it worthy of release on a studio album in the 70s. "Hee-hee, it kinda sounds like they Beach Boys are singing "tit"!" Really?

Don't get me wrong, dump all of this and everything like it ("Drip Drop", etc.) on an archival collection. I'll eat it up all day. But the band would have been rightly taken to task by critics and fans for putting "Rollin' Up to Heaven" on album in 1975 or at any other time.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2018, 09:44:33 AM »

Actually guys, "Rollin' Up To Heaven" was finished and released as a single in 1974, complete with a classic Brian Wilson double tracked falsetto lead! Am I the only one who knows this?

https://soundcloud.com/smilead/rollin-up-to-heaven-1974-mono-single-mix
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2018, 12:31:41 PM »

Why is Shortenin Bread an important part of Beach Boys' history?  It was recorded during a downturn for the group, and helped to drag down the L.A. Light album.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2018, 02:03:11 PM »

Why is Shortenin Bread an important part of Beach Boys' history?  It was recorded during a downturn for the group, and helped to drag down the L.A. Light album.

"Important part of the band's history" as in *everything* that was released and occurred is important, and certainly "Shortenin' Bread" has some extra infamy involved due to Brian's obsession with it and its variants.

"Important" doesn't mean good.

The "Here Comes the Night" disco track is important to understanding their history too. Even "Looking Back With Love."

Some bits are obviously more "footnote" status than others. But "Shortenin' Bread" is of more import to the history/story than, say, "Chasin' the Sky" or something, even if I like listening to the latter much more.

jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2018, 04:56:16 PM »

Actually guys, "Rollin' Up To Heaven" was finished and released as a single in 1974, complete with a classic Brian Wilson double tracked falsetto lead! Am I the only one who knows this?

Man, this mix COOKS! I've always been impressed by your stuff. Thanks for sharing!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2018, 12:00:46 PM »

Man, this mix COOKS! I've always been impressed by your stuff. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for listening! Been a while, but reading this thread inspired me to have a little editing fun.

Maybe it could've worked as a solid link track on a '74 album. Did my best to rechannel it, because I think having the backing vocals buried makes it a bit more of an easy sell. Also the doubled lead!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx