gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:20:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Still Cruisin CD  (Read 10423 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2018, 03:33:12 AM »

New Kids On The Block
"It" (2017) introduced me to this band. Forgot the songs next day, ha.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2018, 07:37:02 AM »

My favorite 80s bands were the jam, the clash, R.E.M. And the smiths
KDS
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2018, 07:42:13 AM »

I like some REM, but I mostly like their early 90s material. 

I never got the appeal of the Clash or Smiths. 
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2018, 11:46:57 AM »

New Kids On The Block

I don't waste my time with anything of Stephen King.
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2018, 11:47:45 AM »

Yes! R.E.M. slipped my mind!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2018, 04:34:49 PM »

Perfect summation of that film you gave. Kudos! 3D Really badly done, kids in the main roles miscast, clown not scary as he should be. He should be frightful (very) AND funny, not just funny. I'd give "It" (2017) 1/5.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2018, 05:51:33 AM »

New Kids On The Block

Nothing?   Stand By Me?  The Shining?  Pet Sematary? 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2018, 06:09:04 AM »

Yes, you'd think BBs fans would like Stephen King. Tongue Cheesy

Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2018, 01:57:16 AM »

Why not? One could draw these parallels between Stephen King and the Beach Boys: The material came from a brilliant mind that have been to dark places. Like the Beach Boys songs, Stephen King's films could be broken down into categories where there are offerings that:

Are very good, but not as well-known (Stand By Me, The Green Mile, Misery and 1408);

Appeal to the mainstream audiences (It, Carrie, The Shining) and then;

Are intentionally less serious offerings (Creepshow, Creepshow 2, Maximum Overdrive, The Mangler).

The Beach Boys are referenced in his books and films. I am a big fan of both the Beach Boys and Stephen King. Maybe it is sort of finding a balance in life? To the casual fan the Beach Boys were upbeat and positive and Stephen King was dark and creepy. It is only when you delve into their work a bit more you find that they each wove in and out of their publicly pigeonholed genres quite a bit.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2018, 07:31:11 PM »

Well said, Rick5150. Except we disagree about "Stand By Me", "1408" & esp. "The Green Mile". Imo they're not "very good".

Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2018, 02:22:57 AM »

I really liked 1408.

In fact, 1408 and 409 are both guilty pleasures of mine.
KDS
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2018, 06:45:10 PM »

I really liked 1408.

In fact, 1408 and 409 are both guilty pleasures of mine.

I loved 1408.  And I saw you had Stand By Me as not as well known.  I think its a very well known movie, but I'm not sure how many people know its based on a King work.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2018, 07:02:53 PM »

Also worth noting that "Catch a Wave" and "Don't Back Down" are referenced in the IT novel...while "I Get Around" is in the original TV movie
KDS
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2018, 05:45:41 AM »

Stand By Me was the first time I ever heard Hushabye by The Mystics.   I had the soundtrack on record when I was a kid, but I think it was left off.   I didn't discover until many years later that The Beach Boys covered it. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2018, 05:52:54 AM »

The Mystics' "Hushabye" is total bore in compare with BBs. Zzz.

KDS
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2018, 06:02:54 AM »

The Mystics' "Hushabye" is total bore in compare with BBs. Zzz.

While I prefer The Beach Boys' cover, I respectfully disagree.   
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2018, 06:26:08 AM »

When I was much younger and a newer fan, I used to kind of afford extra deference in my mind to the original versions of songs that the Beach Boys or Beatles covered in the 60s, even though I liked the BB/Beatles versions much more.

Then I got over it and realized that, while ample credit should absolutely be given to the original writer and (usually) performers, just about every time the Beach Boys or Beatles covered a *vocal* song in the 60s (barring the couple times the BBs covered the Beatles), their version was *the* version and was usually better.

"You Really Got a Hold On Me", "Twist and Shout", "Baby It's You", "Then I Kissed Her", "Hushabye", "Cottonfields" (either version), and so on. All, to me, the definitive versions of those songs.  

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2018, 06:28:52 AM »

When I was much younger and a newer fan, I used to kind of afford extra deference in my mind to the original versions of songs that the Beach Boys or Beatles covered in the 60s, even though I liked the BB/Beatles versions much more.

Then I got over it and realized that, while ample credit should absolutely be given to the original writer and (usually) performers, just about every time the Beach Boys or Beatles covered a *vocal* song in the 60s (barring the couple times the BBs covered the Beatles), their version was *the* version and was usually better.

"You Really Got a Hold On Me", "Twist and Shout", "Baby It's You", "Then I Kissed Her", "Hushabye", "Cottonfields" (either version), and so on. All, to me, the definitive versions of those songs.  

I agree with both Beatles and BB covers.   Although, I think the Boys lost their knack for covers once the 70s dawned, as there's not a single BB cover that I can think of since 1970 that I prefer to the original. 
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2018, 06:29:56 AM »

To my ears, the Mystics' version of Hushabye sounds very, very dated and one-dimensional. the Beach Boy's version sounds timeless and lush.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx