gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:06:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stevie Nicks or Christine McVie?  (Read 6172 times)
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 26, 2018, 08:09:26 AM »

I saw Stevie mentioned as a favourite singer in the thread of that title. In my experience, people tend to have strong opinions regarding whether she or band mate Christine "does it" for them. IMO, McVie has a gorgeous voice (seems trained?) and uses it it is such a laid-back sexy way that Nicks can't even compare. I know that Nicks has the looks, the presentation, the "stuff" that makes her attractive in a commercial way, but Christine...
KDS
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 08:21:33 AM »

I saw Stevie mentioned as a favourite singer in the thread of that title. In my experience, people tend to have strong opinions regarding whether she or band mate Christine "does it" for them. IMO, McVie has a gorgeous voice (seems trained?) and uses it it is such a laid-back sexy way that Nicks can't even compare. I know that Nicks has the looks, the presentation, the "stuff" that makes her attractive in a commercial way, but Christine...

I'll take McVie's vox over Nicks any day.   You Make Loving Fun, Little Lies, Oh Daddy, etc
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 08:51:57 AM »

They were a perfect compliment to each other vocally. Put Buckingham in that blend and that's what made it unique.

An interesting comparison can be made with a classic old album and a new one.

Listen to that "Buckingham Nicks" pre-Mac album, then listen to the Buckingham-McVie collab that just came out last year. You'll hear what each singer brings into the larger blend, and also where the songwriting compliments the other ingredients when one of those two voices and writers is removed.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 10:56:42 AM »

I so agree about the blend. Without one or the other, FM would not have been FM. Still, nothing that Nicks does as lead comes near, for me, McVie's performance  in, say, "Song Bird" or "Warm Ways." I guess it's McVie's blues background coming through that elevates these songs, in particular, above and beyond the more pop sound of Nicks. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 05:10:29 PM »

Dislike the Buckingham-led Fleetwood Mac. I like Peter Green's songs, voice & guitar playing. New line-up features no favorite singer, songs etc.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 04:38:08 AM »

I'm more of a Stevie fan, if only on the strength of "Sara", which goes to places where few pop songs ever venture. Part of the song is in the Lydian mode, which has always done strange and exciting things to me. Infuriatingly, the Tusk version isn't on Youtube.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
KDS
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 05:10:06 AM »

Dislike the Buckingham-led Fleetwood Mac. I like Peter Green's songs, voice & guitar playing. New line-up features no favorite singer, songs etc.

I've only just started listening to the Peter Green version of FM.   This version is largely unknown in the States, but I like it a lot, and Green was an exceptional guitarist. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 07:25:53 AM »

I've only just started listening to the Peter Green version of FM.   This version is largely unknown in the States, but I like it a lot, and Green was an exceptional guitarist. 
Interesting, do you know why?

Nice you back me up re: Peter's guitar skills. At least smb. agrees with sth. I say, ha.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 07:32:42 AM »

Interesting, do you know why?

Nice you back me up re: Peter's guitar skills. At least smb. agrees with sth. I say, ha.

I'm not really sure to be honest.   Some artists prominent in the UK never really struck a chord in the states for some reason.   Early Genesis, 1970s Scorpions, UFO, and even early 70s Beach Boys. 

The early blues based Mac never really made a dent, and I'm sure there are many who don't realize that Santana's Black Magic Woman is actually a Mac cover. 
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 07:56:34 AM »

Thanks for that info. I had no idea that Black Magic Woman as a Mac cover! Nor was I aware that Fleetwood, John McVie, and Green were part of John Mayall's Bluebreakers and Christine MvVie sang with Spencer Davis (with whom Steve Winwood sang  - Gimme Some Lovin).
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 08:57:50 AM »

Thanks for that info. I had no idea that Black Magic Woman as a Mac cover! Nor was I aware that Fleetwood, John McVie, and Green were part of John Mayall's Bluebreakers and Christine MvVie sang with Spencer Davis (with whom Steve Winwood sang  - Gimme Some Lovin).

Compare the two versions and you'll hear what Santana added to the song to make it a "hit". Santana kept the Latin rhythm going throughout the song, whereas Peter Green and the Mac had a lot of trippy pauses and breaks where the groove completely stops. Also, Santana streamlined the chord changes a bit to make it a more standard minor blues with less of the jazzy turnarounds in Green's original.

No doubt Green was a very influential guitarist - his Les Paul guitar is one of the iconic versions of that instrument, right up there with the other 'Burst Les Pauls wielded by Clapton, Bloomfield, Page, Richards, etc. in the 60's.

Now here's something cool to check out, more related to Santana than the Mac:

Santana segued his cover of Black Magic Woman into a piece called "Gypsy Queen" by guitarist Gabor Szabo, released in '66. Szabo had some heavy-hitters from the jazz world including Ron Carter and Chico Hamilton on that album which featured "Gypsy Queen".

But if you listen to the Szabo original, you'll hear what sounds like the foundation of the Santana sound, back in '66. No wonder Santana covered this. Add some heavier sounds, a more overdriven and louder guitar, a heavier mix, electric bass, and this track is like hearing the roots of what made Santana a superstar.

"Gypsy Queen" by Gabor Szabo, 1966:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3--HVjDk7s

Just an example of everything old becoming new again.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
KDS
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2018, 09:03:51 AM »

While not nearly as iconic, Judas Priest did pretty well with an early Mac cover with The Green Manalishi.   While it's not as revered as Santana's Black Magic Woman, it's a fan favorite among Priest fans. 
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2018, 09:33:35 AM »

Wow. I wonder if he was, in turn, influenced by Django Reinhardt, the Gypsy/Roma jazz guitarist. Certainly sounds like it.

http://www.openculture.com/2012/08/django_reinhardt_and_the_inspiring_story_behind_his_guitar_technique.html

Love how Santana imbued it with the Latin flavor.   

I've read that Szabo joined the Church of Scientology, which he later accused of kidnapping him, taking his money, and forcing him to take one of their courses which, I'm sure, was not similar to one of Dale Carnegie's!
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2018, 09:37:19 AM »

My "wow" was in re: Santana and whether he was influenced by Szabo.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2018, 01:21:29 PM »

Heard this Szabo track a while back and loved it. The rest of the album doesn't make it for me (maybe not for anyone) but this is nice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miGRscAc3tw

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2018, 02:46:56 PM »

It's certainly "of the times," maybe a bit after the white go-go boots era, but still catchy! I notice that Jim Gordon (Derek and the Doms) is the drummer.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2018, 03:58:50 PM »

Compare the two versions and you'll hear what Santana added to the song to make it a "hit". Santana kept the Latin rhythm going throughout the song, whereas Peter Green and the Mac had a lot of trippy pauses and breaks where the groove completely stops. Also, Santana streamlined the chord changes a bit to make it a more standard minor blues with less of the jazzy turnarounds in Green's original.
Tbh, I didn't like Santana as well. Razz In addition to James Taylor, Fleetwood Mac MK II, Carole King (solo. Dig some Goffin-King songs such as "Take Good Care Of My Baby"), Eric Clapton, Marvin Gaye, The Ronettes & the other 95% girl groups, Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan etc. Plenty artists I do not listen & care about.

No doubt Green was a very influential guitarist - his Les Paul guitar is one of the iconic versions of that instrument
Yes indeed. 3D

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2018, 01:15:33 AM »

No doubt Green was a very influential guitarist - his Les Paul guitar is one of the iconic versions of that instrument, right up there with the other 'Burst Les Pauls wielded by Clapton, Bloomfield, Page, Richards, etc. in the 60's.

Now here's something cool to check out, more related to Santana than the Mac:

Santana segued his cover of Black Magic Woman into a piece called "Gypsy Queen" by guitarist Gabor Szabo, released in '66. Szabo had some heavy-hitters from the jazz world including Ron Carter and Chico Hamilton on that album which featured "Gypsy Queen".

But if you listen to the Szabo original, you'll hear what sounds like the foundation of the Santana sound, back in '66. No wonder Santana covered this. Add some heavier sounds, a more overdriven and louder guitar, a heavier mix, electric bass, and this track is like hearing the roots of what made Santana a superstar.

"Gypsy Queen" by Gabor Szabo, 1966:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3--HVjDk7s

Just an example of everything old becoming new again.  Smiley
Thanks very much for that link! I had always wanted to hear the original version of "Gypsy Queen", but could never remember who did it. After listening to that song I started to look up some of his other stuff. I wish I had known about him sooner.  Grin He's highly underrated.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2018, 07:47:30 PM »

Both. But Stevie is my #1 favorite woman in music and one of my favorite songwriters. The Rumours lineup of Fleetwood Mac is one of my top 5 favorite bands ever and though I love everyone in that band, I have a big preference for Stevie and Lindsey. I love the music they make whether in the band or solo.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Tab Lloyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2018, 10:46:42 AM »

I'd just like to give a shout-out to the Bob Welch FM (1971-74). He had several truly great songs which have held up quite nicely: hypnotized, future games, sentimental lady, etc. Future games still makes my hair stand up (what's left of it). The dude had magic.
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2018, 08:04:07 AM »

Tab Lloyd - I wholly concur.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2018, 03:28:18 PM »

I wouldn’t go so far as to say dislike, but I definitely prefer the Green-Spencer-Kirwan era stuff
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2018, 03:46:46 PM »

Cool.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 05:28:24 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2022, 02:00:48 PM »

I'm more of a Stevie fan, if only on the strength of "Sara", which goes to places where few pop songs ever venture. Part of the song is in the Lydian mode, which has always done strange and exciting things to me. Infuriatingly, the Tusk version isn't on Youtube. 

Well, it's there now. This is the stunning full-length version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOVyBhVsOV0

As for Christine, I first heard her voice when she was Christine Perfect and sang with Chicken Shack. Their gorgeous cover of Etta James' "I'd Rather Go Blind" was a UK #14 hit in 1969:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DrAH9I0G2I

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_Shack

BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2022, 05:13:40 AM »

I prefer Stevie but Christine wrote some fine pop gems, too. Dreams, Gypsy, Rhiannon, Sara, Landslide, Gold Dust Woman etc have that trademark Stevie mysticism. Also was Brian's Stevie a tribute to Nicks or Wonder?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 05:14:41 AM by BananaLouie » Logged

"I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx