gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:31:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Singers Who Still Have It!  (Read 8975 times)
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2018, 12:57:24 PM »

Another thread addresses singers who have lost their voices, but still soldier on. I thought it would be interesting to talk about those who actually still sing really well in their twilight years. I'll start with Cat Stevens. He was born in 1948, so is now about 70. I have heard on in various performances in recent years and am utterly amazed at his voice's tone and control - still a pleasure to listen to. Here is a concert from just a year ago. "Father and Son" shows most clearly that his lower baritone (father part) has become "smokier," while the higher register he reaches for the son part, is just a shade lower than it was, not as "tinny" as it used to be. It works, and makes his performance, IMO, as satisfying as ever. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvWGwl1aLN8

Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 05:47:27 PM »

Mark Stein from Vanilla Fudge still has it! I saw them recently and I was so blown away at how amazing the guy sounded. He's 71 and sounds exactly like he did during the late 1960s. And singing for Vanilla Fudge certainly seems physically demanding, so hats off to Mark Stein!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 08:53:47 PM by Mike Garneau » Logged
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 06:14:14 PM »

Goodness, yes! Here's something recent...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAzvNBZtZZs
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 06:23:45 PM »

Colin Blunstone of the Zombies - not too shabby for a guy who must be a bit older than the aforementioned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nektg43Enw
KDS
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 06:54:16 PM »

Paul Rodgers
Glenn Hughes
Bruce Dickinson
Sammy Hagar
David Gilmour
Phil Mogg
Ann Wilson
Steve Whiteman
KDS
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 06:19:54 AM »

I'm adding the late great Ronnie James Dio to my list. 

I saw one of his final shows in person in August 2009.  At the age of 67 and unknowingly battling stomach cancer at the time, he put on an incredible show.   

For a guy who sang the way he did for four decades was incredible.   And the world of hard rock / heavy metal was a poorer one when he passed in 2010
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 06:42:19 AM »

Captain Obvious here, but Al Jardine.
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 11:16:35 AM »

But rates a mention!
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 05:53:03 AM »

Huey Lewis
KDS
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 06:20:00 AM »

Eddie Money still sounds great these days. 
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 08:07:05 AM »

Sounds pretty good. Here he is in 2017 with his kids! But I wonder if those with  lower, husky voices to begin with whose songs required no-so-much in terms of range and other vocal gymnastics  might not have an easier time with aging?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HGUr-piuqw
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2018, 08:25:22 AM »

Frankie Valli sounds phenomenal these days.  Razz

Little Anthony. 77 years old. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeez_Ja49Cs

McCartney deserves a mention, because of this video: https://youtu.be/nCleVJQiZHg?t=220

Obviously his voice has been going downhill since 2012 or so. But it seems that even to this day, if he has a few drinks and does an impromptu performance with someone else sharing the spotlight, he brings his A game. He hasn't belted a "yeahhh" like that in years. He really nails his classic sound for a bit.

Which leaves me frustrated, but optimistic about his upcoming album.
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2018, 08:30:03 AM »

Oh, yes, Frankie Valli sounds just like he did when he cut his original recordings! A true miracle of miracles....
KDS
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2018, 05:51:57 AM »

Jimmy Buffett.   

I saw him on Friday night, and his voice still sounds just like the early 70s albums. 
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2018, 03:27:56 PM »

I have a friend who is a Parrothead. She says the same thing about his singing. She also loves that his audiences draw a haelthy mix of young/middle/older fans. Love the term "Parrothead."  I've read that Timothy B. Schmit  coined the term. He was a last-minute replacement for someone in the Coral Reefer band and was being driven through the crowd. Amazed at the whole crazy scene, he referred to them as Parrotheads (as opposed to Deadheads ).
KDS
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2018, 05:11:34 AM »

I have a friend who is a Parrothead. She says the same thing about his singing. She also loves that his audiences draw a haelthy mix of young/middle/older fans. Love the term "Parrothead."  I've read that Timothy B. Schmit  coined the term. He was a last-minute replacement for someone in the Coral Reefer band and was being driven through the crowd. Amazed at the whole crazy scene, he referred to them as Parrotheads (as opposed to Deadheads ).

Yep, Schmidt coined the phrase around 1985 or so.   There's a documentary called Parrotheads.  I was hoping it would offer a neat little history of Buffett's music and the culture that his music created, as well as the history of the cult following.   However, it was a little underwhelming.   It did have some feel good stories about the Parrothead community, but it felt like a good portion of the doc was to push relatively unknown trop rock bands that were inspired by Buffett. 

A Buffett show is truly was of the most fun experiences you can ever have going to a concert. 
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2018, 01:15:26 PM »

Chuck Negron.  75 years old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMbE5ScW1-4

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2018, 01:40:05 PM »

Chuck was always my favorite Dog with swagger and a presence, both physically and in terms of his voice, that the others lacked. And what a story of redemption. Once sank so low in addiction that that he was literally on the streets, now counsels music artists with substance abuse issues. It's sad that after so many years Chuck was clean Wells and Hutton could not see their way to allow him back into the fold. On the other hand, addiction does destroy trust. Good to see him doing his thing solo, anyway.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2018, 03:38:11 PM »

Terry Adams/ NRBQ
Mick Jagger/ Rolling Stones
Rickie Lee Jones
Joe Walsh
Tony Orlando

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2018, 04:37:02 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:16:36 PM by zatch » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2018, 11:25:43 PM »

Robin Zander
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2018, 10:46:48 AM »

Hope Sandoval.
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2018, 12:10:18 PM »

Dion

John Fogerty
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2018, 09:18:30 PM »

Oh, yes, Frankie Valli sounds just like he did when he cut his original recordings! A true miracle of miracles....
I have to assume that this is a jab at his lipsyncing?
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2018, 06:43:12 PM »

At the risk of offending die-hard Frankie fans, yes.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx