gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:14:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Was "Good Timin'" Embraced More on the East Coast?  (Read 5240 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: March 23, 2018, 06:39:40 AM »

As we all probably know, when "Good Timin'" was released as a single in 1979, it just barely squeaked into the Top 40, landing literally at #40 on the Billboard Hot 100 (Wiki also indicates it hit #33 on the Cash Box chart). It also appears to have hit #12 on the AC chart.

This strikes me as a pretty textbook extremely minor hit single. It didn't hit the critical mass of "Rock and Roll Music", or even "It's OK." It slightly outperformed 1978's "Peggy Sue" (#59), and did pretty similarly on the Hot 100 in terms of peak performance as "Here Comes the Night" (#44). The only later singles that outperformed "Good Timin'" were "The Beach Boys Medley" (#12), the 1981 "Come Go With Me" single pulled from "Ten Years of Harmony" (#18), "Getcha Back" (#26), "Wipe Out" (#12), and of course "Kokomo" (#1).

In any event, while I always felt "Good Timin'" dropped out of the setlist and was forgotten by the band relatively quickly (it was in the 1979 and 1980 setlists, and briefly returned in 1982 when Carl returned to the band) for a minor hit single, I've noticed something listening to a number of live shows from 1980.

By 1980, they were on to the next album (KTSA) and a few new singles, etc. They kept "Good Timin'" in the setlist, but at some shows it doesn't really get any extra notice from the audience. Yet, at the Philadelphia show in 1980 as well as the Hampton, VA show from 1980 both have the audience giving noticeable extra applause cheers *at the beginning of the song.* You know what I'm talking about, the "I recognize that song" cheers. Those who have followed the band and that era will know that this *rarely* happened with contemporary material performed by the band.

In any event, I'm curious for those who followed radio and the east coast market in general remember "Good Timin'" being embraced more in that region than even the #40 chart placement would indicate. I know some bands would often have "strongholds" in certain regions. Some bands for instance would do really well only on the coasts, and/or would have weird pockets of super enthusiasm. I'm curious if this was the case specifically in 1979/80 with contemporary BB material.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 07:01:46 AM »

I'm near Rochester and Buffalo, NY and I don't recall very much airplay for the single.  Seemed like a moderate hit.  Friends weren't whistling the tune at work or anything.
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 07:32:18 AM »

I was a young adult in suburban Philly at that time and recall only that the song was played occasionally with little ado. It's now on my list of top ten BB songs!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 07:35:56 AM »

I'd like the reaction to "Good Timin'" at those Philly and VA shows from 1980 to the reaction that "Lady Lynda" got in the UK in 1980 (the Knebworth show being the easily example to check out). That is, in the US "Lady Lynda" usually didn't get much up-front acknowledgement when done in concert. But in the UK it definitely was.

I dunno, maybe those particular shows from 1980 just had a larger concentration of huge BB fans for arena shows. That's why it strikes me as interesting as well; both shows are larger indoor arena shows. We're talking arenas that hold 10 or 12,000 seats most likely.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Curt Lambert
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 09:45:27 AM »

I grew up in Indiana, north east Indiana near Ft Wayne, and "Good Timin" got a lot of airplay there. I was always surprised at its chart position. It felt like a much bigger hit in Indiana at the time. I love the song. Brian performed it in his set list a few years ago.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 10:04:39 AM »

Do you think perhaps people might have mistook the beginning of the song for Surfer Girl? Just a possibility that occurred to me.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 11:29:37 AM »

Do you think perhaps people might have mistook the beginning of the song for Surfer Girl? Just a possibility that occurred to me.

It's possible; I had thought of that, but within one second of the song starting, the lyrics kick in, "Good, good timin', good, good timin'."

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 11:44:51 AM »

From May 26, 'til June 29, 1979 The Beach Boys' 'Good Timin' spent 5 weeks in the 1050 CHUM top 20...reaching its pinnacle in Toronto June 16 when it peaked at #9.  It was also a big hit in Winnipeg, where I was working at that time, but Winnipeg is just a little bit west  [by what?  an hour?]  of the centre of Canada.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rock 'n' Roll Music also hit the top 20 in Toronto... for 11 weeks...peaking for 2 consecutive weeks at #4.  It's OK did not get any airplay in most Canadian Major Markets.  It was poorly timed in terms of its release.  It SHOULD HAVE BEEN the first single...released in time for the summer.  It couldn't work as a fall song.  Somebody sure f***ed THAT up.  'We' played it at CFCH in North Bay...but we were life-long FANS.  [and the PD/MD respectively so 'we' called the shots]  North Bay is just a small 55,000 person city.  We were Mavericks.  [Bart and Bret?]
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 03:52:08 PM by Lee Marshall » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 08:30:20 PM »

"Good Timin'" got some airplay in the greater Atlanta area market, but it was limited to Adult Contemporary stations.
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2018, 02:24:02 AM »

I'd like the reaction to "Good Timin'" at those Philly and VA shows from 1980 to the reaction that "Lady Lynda" got in the UK in 1980 (the Knebworth show being the easily example to check out). That is, in the US "Lady Lynda" usually didn't get much up-front acknowledgement when done in concert. But in the UK it definitely was.

I dunno, maybe those particular shows from 1980 just had a larger concentration of huge BB fans for arena shows. That's why it strikes me as interesting as well; both shows are larger indoor arena shows. We're talking arenas that hold 10 or 12,000 seats most likely.

Lady Lynda had been a top 10 hit in the UK just the year before.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2018, 12:47:44 PM »

Lady Lynda had been a top 10 hit in the UK just the year before.

Yes, I'm aware that it was a hit in the UK, which explains why it got an enthusiastic reaction at UK shows as soon as the song began.

I was pointing out that at a few shows on the east coast, "Good Timin'" got a similar response despite a more modest showing on the US charts.

I was curious if the song was what could be called a "regional hit", or was championed be a local market, sort of like Billy Joel's "Captain Jack" being played in Philadelphia.

Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2018, 05:25:47 PM »

Not really an answer to the original question, but the song has been included on and off in the 2000s and 2010s, and seems to have a moderate response. John Stamos sang the lead during the non-C50 shows, and David sang it during the C50 tour. I think the moderate response (vs a tepid response) was at least partially due to the track's inclusion on Sounds of Summer in 2004.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2018, 07:12:40 PM »

Good Timin' was a top 20 hit, maybe even top 10 at KJR here in Seattle. It even made one of their annual Labor Day top 500 of all time lists. I don't recall hearing It's OK on the radio at all. HCTN did get a little airplay - as a curiousity.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2018, 08:06:21 PM »

I was in Binghamton, N.Y. and both "Here Comes The Night" and "Good Timin'" got a lot of airplay there.  My impression at the time was they were fairly big hits.  Was surprised to find out later that wasn't the case.
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2018, 03:48:56 AM »

Not really an answer to the original question, but the song has been included on and off in the 2000s and 2010s, and seems to have a moderate response. John Stamos sang the lead during the non-C50 shows, and David sang it during the C50 tour. I think the moderate response (vs a tepid response) was at least partially due to the track's inclusion on Sounds of Summer in 2004.

The C50 show in Mönchengladbach I attended had Brian and Al singing lead for "Good Timin'". I've read somewhere that "It's A Beautiful Day" was a number one hit in LA, can anyone confirm? Also "Crocodile Rock" hit the top 5 in Uruguay? I know there were a couple of unusual hits in other territories like "Summertime Blues", "Ten Little Indians", "Tears in the Morning" and "Still Cruisin'" among others.

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2018, 04:27:17 AM »

I grew up in northern Massachusetts and Good Timin' was played quite a bit. I thought it was pretty big for a few weeks. I remember one of the Beach Boys specials (maybe one of the Fourth of July shows) where Carl started out beautifully, but then muffed the lyrics in the first verse - replacing the last two lines with the second verse lyrics. He very obviously winced and then sang the second verse with the original lyrics as well. So as a result, he accidentally overemphasized the "a celebration, of being together" lines, but in the context of the concert where so many people were joined together, it was kind of fitting too. A Bob Ross happy accident'.

I am in NH now. I love the song and still hear it on occasion in supermarkets and gas stations along with Brian's Your Imagination.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2018, 06:23:19 AM »

I was in Binghamton, N.Y. and both "Here Comes The Night" and "Good Timin'" got a lot of airplay there.  My impression at the time was they were fairly big hits.  Was surprised to find out later that wasn't the case.

I think you'll find that where there were Program and/or Music Directors who loved the Beach Boys...we usually found a way to get Beach Boys songs on the air.  We played the single version of HCTN some in Winnipeg and the 12 inch single/long version on the Saturday Night Studio 13 'dance' show.  'Good Timin' was an obvious add.  I also included River Song as an l.p. track when '10 Years of Harmony' was released.  We played 'It's a Beautiful Day' along with 'Get a Move On'/Eddie Money when 'Americathon' was released.'  I reluctantly played the Medley 45 in '81? ... I think it was ... as it was summertime.  Although I was generally more into looking forward with their output.  It was easy to do it in Canada because the number of Beach Boys fans in most cities and towns is HUGE.  [We have good taste. Wink]  We also played 'Livin' With a Heartache' and 'Keepin' The Summer Alive' in Winnipeg  [Randy Bachman?  Well I guess so!!!  It's his hometown.  Plus 1 he wrote with Carl from his Ironhorse album..'What's Your Hurry Darlin']  'Come Go With Me' too.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2018, 09:08:50 PM »

I think you'll find that where there were Program and/or Music Directors who loved the Beach Boys...we usually found a way to get Beach Boys songs on the air.  We played the single version of HCTN some in Winnipeg and the 12 inch single/long version on the Saturday Night Studio 13 'dance' show.  'Good Timin' was an obvious add.  I also included River Song as an l.p. track when '10 Years of Harmony' was released.  We played 'It's a Beautiful Day' along with 'Get a Move On'/Eddie Money when 'Americathon' was released.'  I reluctantly played the Medley 45 in '81? ... I think it was ... as it was summertime.  Although I was generally more into looking forward with their output.  It was easy to do it in Canada because the number of Beach Boys fans in most cities and towns is HUGE.  [We have good taste. Wink]  We also played 'Livin' With a Heartache' and 'Keepin' The Summer Alive' in Winnipeg  [Randy Bachman?  Well I guess so!!!  It's his hometown.  Plus 1 he wrote with Carl from his Ironhorse album..'What's Your Hurry Darlin']  'Come Go With Me' too.

Yeah, come to think of it I heard "Keepin' The Summer Alive" a few times on WAAL, which was the "rock" station in the area at the time, so that was something of a coup.  It actually motivated me to go get the LP.  Always loved that tune, cheesy as it is.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2018, 09:35:15 PM »

I also one of our local stations getting into Carl's first album a bit. What You Gonna Do About Me and Heaven were in regular rotation there for a few weeks. Another station put Givin' You Up in heavy rotation late summer of 83. Radio sure was a lot different back then, we still had stations being programmed locally by people that actually knew about music.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2018, 11:32:26 PM »

I also one of our local stations getting into Carl's first album a bit. What You Gonna Do About Me and Heaven were in regular rotation there for a few weeks. Another station put Givin' You Up in heavy rotation late summer of 83. Radio sure was a lot different back then, we still had stations being programmed locally by people that actually knew about music.

Yeah!  I think I did hear a song from one of Carl's albums once.  I want to say it was "She's Mine" - something really random.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2018, 11:54:52 PM »

Yeah!  I think I did hear a song from one of Carl's albums once.  I want to say it was "She's Mine" - something really random.
The first album got a pretty good push from the label. The second album seemed to get lost because everyone was talking about the James Watt controversy.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx