gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:09:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Media Narrative of Brian's creative collapse Post-SMiLE  (Read 15538 times)
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2018, 08:51:01 AM »

I'm on the the band's side with that whole Redwood situation.

The band is floundering and in need of a hit. Mike co-writes a potential hit, 'Darlin', and Brian decides to give it away. Now, if the Beach Boys go under, Brian will survive as a producer/arranger behind-the-scenes guy. That indeed may be his ultimate ambition.

But what happens to Mike, Al, Carl and Dennis? Do they get regular jobs? Sell real estate? Open up a surf shop?

That would be fine had certain members not spent the last year and half critiquing the music Brian was making for the band. Had Mike even written the Darlin' lyrics yet? Danny Hutton claims to be the source for the title of the song.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2018, 08:51:14 AM »

I'm on the the band's side with that whole Redwood situation.

The band is floundering and in need of a hit. Mike co-writes a potential hit, 'Darlin', and Brian decides to give it away. Now, if the Beach Boys go under, Brian will survive as a producer/arranger behind-the-scenes guy. That indeed may be his ultimate ambition.

But what happens to Mike, Al, Carl and Dennis? Do they get regular jobs? Sell real estate? Open up a surf shop?

I think one of the issues with the Redwood story is that nobody went to Brian and *asked* him to maybe let the BBs do the songs. There was no compromise attempted. No evidence that they said "let us record them first, and then Redwood can put out their versions." No evidence that they tried to sit down and have an adult, level-headed conversation about it.

It sounds like Brian was bullied and guilted into it, *told* what to do. Chuck Negron recounted the story both in his book and in interviews.

The fact that the BBs in turn *didn't* score huge epic hits with any of the Redwood songs would also tend to undercut their argument. "Darlin'"" did okay as a single, #19 US and #11 UK.

And that's not even getting into the territory of addressing why, if they were so motivated to have music careers, the *other guys* didn't write some singles. They also could have shopped around to outside writers if they were just trying to sink their claws into keeping some sort of career going.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2018, 09:09:04 AM »

First in several replies:

Consider "Surf City" which Brian also gave away to Jan & Dean and which went on to hit #1. Caused a bit of a shitstorm especially with Murry. I wonder if Murry's anger was shared by anyone else within the band.

But my point is, along with many of these issues, there was a precedent and it was nothing new. It was the crap Brian had to deal with.

The main thing here is that Brother was set up in large part to allow Brian and the band members to do EXACTLY what Brian did with Redwood, but I'd be repeating myself if I said what that was. It's common knowledge, or so I thought.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2018, 10:36:14 AM »

Great discussion!

Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2018, 10:48:06 AM »

guitarfool2002, I agree nearly completely with your post (Reply #42). I alluded to incidents like Redwood in my post. The only thing I'd change is that other than the month(s) Brian was hospitalized in '68, I'd say he continued working with and for the Beach Boys, significantly, into early 1970 (as opposed to only '68).

When exactly was Brian hospitalized? I think it's significant to note that throughout the early part of 1968, Brian was a powerhouse, writing most of Friends, and on its heels writes and records Do It Again, I Went to Sleep, Sail Plane Song, All I Wanna Do, Walkin' and produces We're Together Again, Walk On By, and Ol' Man River. Then, after June, there's very little that Brian contributes to the band for the rest of the year. After that, the 20/20 album mostly becomes a Dennis show, they do I Can Hear Music, and they dust off and work out old Brian gems: Been Way Too Long, Our Prayer, Cabin Essence, Time to Get Alone.

Then 1969 starts off as being yet another Dennis show: Forever, San Miguel, Got to Know the Woman, Celebrate the News. In March of 1969, they pull together a few songs Brian had demoed before June 1968: Loop de Loop and All I Wanna Do. Then, at the very end of March, the band records the first new song Brian had written for the band since Walkin' nine months earlier. Then another five months go by before the band works on another song written by Brian: Soulful Old Man Sunshine. Finally in October of 1969, the band starts to record a new crop of Brian songs: Games Two Can Play, Add Some Music, When Girls Get Together, Our Sweet Love, Til I Die, At My Window, Where Is She?.

But until then there had been a 15 month period in which the band recorded about 20 new songs with only two of them written by Brian. So something is definitely going on in that year-plus. It's also worth noting too that that burst of creativity in 1969 was more of an aberration than anything. In 1970, Brian only really contributes 3 new songs: I Just Got My Pay, Help is on the Way, and My Solution. He adds a bit to Cool Cool Water and Take a Load Off. But ultimately Brian really pulls back from contributing to the band, which is a remarkable thing to say when you consider that he had already gone through a 15 month dry spell.

From what I've read, Brian entered a psychiatric hospital after the release of Friends at the end of June 1968. The next recording I can find that he participated in was "Time to Get Alone," which the Beach Boys started working on in October 1968. So that would be 3-4 months.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2018, 11:07:25 AM »

guitarfool2002, I agree nearly completely with your post (Reply #42). I alluded to incidents like Redwood in my post. The only thing I'd change is that other than the month(s) Brian was hospitalized in '68, I'd say he continued working with and for the Beach Boys, significantly, into early 1970 (as opposed to only '68).

When exactly was Brian hospitalized? I think it's significant to note that throughout the early part of 1968, Brian was a powerhouse, writing most of Friends, and on its heels writes and records Do It Again, I Went to Sleep, Sail Plane Song, All I Wanna Do, Walkin' and produces We're Together Again, Walk On By, and Ol' Man River. Then, after June, there's very little that Brian contributes to the band for the rest of the year. After that, the 20/20 album mostly becomes a Dennis show, they do I Can Hear Music, and they dust off and work out old Brian gems: Been Way Too Long, Our Prayer, Cabin Essence, Time to Get Alone.

Then 1969 starts off as being yet another Dennis show: Forever, San Miguel, Got to Know the Woman, Celebrate the News. In March of 1969, they pull together a few songs Brian had demoed before June 1968: Loop de Loop and All I Wanna Do. Then, at the very end of March, the band records the first new song Brian had written for the band since Walkin' nine months earlier. Then another five months go by before the band works on another song written by Brian: Soulful Old Man Sunshine. Finally in October of 1969, the band starts to record a new crop of Brian songs: Games Two Can Play, Add Some Music, When Girls Get Together, Our Sweet Love, Til I Die, At My Window, Where Is She?.

But until then there had been a 15 month period in which the band recorded about 20 new songs with only two of them written by Brian. So something is definitely going on in that year-plus. It's also worth noting too that that burst of creativity in 1969 was more of an aberration than anything. In 1970, Brian only really contributes 3 new songs: I Just Got My Pay, Help is on the Way, and My Solution. He adds a bit to Cool Cool Water and Take a Load Off. But ultimately Brian really pulls back from contributing to the band, which is a remarkable thing to say when you consider that he had already gone through a 15 month dry spell.

From what I've read, Brian entered a psychiatric hospital after the release of Friends at the end of June 1968. The next recording I can find that he participated in was "Time to Get Alone," which the Beach Boys started working on in October 1968. So that would be 3-4 months.

Thanks for that. It is interesting though that he didn't offer a new song to the band for about nine months after his hospitalization. And given all that, it's interesting that the song he does put forward after all that time is "Breakaway." As far as I recall, the lyrics were written by Murry "Reggie" Wilson but they are remarkably appropriate for Brian's own life (though the two certainly had a lot of similarities in terms of their respective illnesses). And still remarkable that after nine months, he puts forth and produces a song that goes on to be internally criticized. I think it was Al who said maybe said something about the lackluster production?

EDIT:

Al: “I was really disappointed and frustrated by how this one ended up. We knew we had 90% of a good record, but typical of his late ‘60s mentality, Brian under-produced and undersold the ending of the record.”
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 11:08:46 AM by Chocolate Shake Man » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2018, 11:46:45 AM »

I think this is a super interesting thread and would love to contribute more (if I weren't at work maybe I would). But I must add...

I don't think Brian's focus on sales has ever left him (and I personally don't think there's anything wrong with that). And if anybody disagrees, let's remember that either Ray Lawlor or Joe Thomas was quoted as saying something like, "when Brian had found out That's Why God Made The Radio made the charts at number 3, he was practically skipping around backstage in joy!"

I think that tells us a lot. And it's too bad other members (or a certain member) of the band couldn't have been as happy about the chart placement as Brian was.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2018, 12:17:44 PM »

I think Mike Love specifically wrongly and vindictively downplayed the #3 chart peak of TWGMTR.

But, in general, I think the band (including Brian both in the BBs and on his own) placed too much emphasis on having "hits." As in, "hit singles." You can tell that all of the guys, and especially Brian and Mike, still have a bit of an old fashioned idea of how the charts work.

You'd have to be SUPER out of touch to think past the 90s that the BBs would have any chance at a "hit single." The charts just aren't build that way, and nobody on radio is going to play a new BB (or Brian) song.

What they should have focused on by the 90s, and the Paley sessions would have been the perfect place to start, was having *good albums*, and in turn they could then score good chart placement (and possibly garner Grammy nominations) with their albums.

Their contemporaries and peers from the 60s that were still going in the 90s were scoring hit *albums*, and getting notices for albums. McCartney got a freaking *album of the year* nomination for "Flaming Pie" even though all of the "singles" tanked, even after he tried to goose the charts by releasing two version of each of three singles with different B/C-sides.

And even within the album charts, where TWGMTR proved it's the only place the BBs could still have action (other than some fringe charts), Mike's subsequent interviews showed a total lack of understanding of how sales and chart placement works. He didn't seem to be familiar with the fact that, like movies and pretty much everything, sales are super front-loaded and artists will usually see their best week in Week #1. Considering how much Mike (and the others to varying lesser degrees) had contributed to watering down the BB name/brand, it was amazing TWGMTR hit #3 when it was their first truly new album in 20 years after little studio activity.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2018, 12:20:27 PM »

Stephen Desper's recollections beginning at about 2:58 - 3:05 of his Break Away study video speaks to the group's support of Brian and the atmosphere of 'commerciality' during the sessions. Desper describes how both seemed to affect Brian. Any excuse to watch a study video!

http://swdstudyvideos.com/index---3.html

Every wave is new until it breaks.
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2018, 01:30:52 PM »

First in several replies:

Consider "Surf City" which Brian also gave away to Jan & Dean and which went on to hit #1. Caused a bit of a shitstorm especially with Murry. I wonder if Murry's anger was shared by anyone else within the band.

But my point is, along with many of these issues, there was a precedent and it was nothing new. It was the crap Brian had to deal with.

The main thing here is that Brother was set up in large part to allow Brian and the band members to do EXACTLY what Brian did with Redwood, but I'd be repeating myself if I said what that was. It's common knowledge, or so I thought.
Brother was set up in 1966 when the Beach Boys were riding high on the charts. By the fall of 1967, they were barely hanging on.
There were groups as successful as the BBs which didn't survive the 60's -- the Dave Clark 5, Herman's Hermits. The members of those bands went on to selling real estate or giving guitar lessons.

But, in an alternative future, would we rather have had a Redwood 'Darlin'? Would it even have been a hit without the Beach Boys name attached? What would have taken its place on the WH lp? What would have been the single that the Beach Boys would have released in its stead?
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2018, 02:03:09 PM »

You'd have to be SUPER out of touch to think past the 90s that the BBs would have any chance at a "hit single." The charts just aren't build that way, and nobody on radio is going to play a new BB (or Brian) song.

MORE of us radio 'types' need to be "out of touch".  I GUARANTEE that I'll be playing new Brian songs on the radio...as I have before now...as for the Beached Boys?  Not so much...and the Beach Boys won't be 'doing' anything new going forward so not them either.  I will program vintage Beach Boys 'adult' oriented hits and especially l.p. tracks  as well.

I have a new project coming up which will include programming good songs and great music and the Beach Boys/Brian Wilson have a ton of those.  Just rolling out those old 45s ain't gonna get 'er done anymore though.  NOT in the 21st century.  Generally THOSE stations have a 6 month shelf life...MAX.  Why?  Primarily they burn out their playlist and the programmers didn't 'live' it... ... ...So?  They don't KNOW it.

Radio can't be programmed using only the eyes.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 02:03:57 PM by Lee Marshall » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2018, 05:57:05 PM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:07:58 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2018, 07:06:31 PM »

Thanks for those details, wjcrerar. I'm really looking forward to that 1968 release. Perhaps there will be some new insights.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2018, 07:34:01 PM »

Thanks for that. It is interesting though that he didn't offer a new song to the band for about nine months after his hospitalization. And given all that, it's interesting that the song he does put forward after all that time is "Breakaway." As far as I recall, the lyrics were written by Murry "Reggie" Wilson but they are remarkably appropriate for Brian's own life (though the two certainly had a lot of similarities in terms of their respective illnesses). And still remarkable that after nine months, he puts forth and produces a song that goes on to be internally criticized. I think it was Al who said maybe said something about the lackluster production?

EDIT:

Al: “I was really disappointed and frustrated by how this one ended up. We knew we had 90% of a good record, but typical of his late ‘60s mentality, Brian under-produced and undersold the ending of the record.”

Just to add to this, the session tapes show Brian produced the '68 version of Can't Wait Too Long at the end of July, so he wasn't quite out of commission yet. Certain parts of the song were new (the bridge and the elaborate intro) which I guess would be the last things Brian wrote until Break Away. Bruce mentioned in an interview around then that it was planned as their new single so...not quite sure what happened there. There's also the second version of We're Together Again at the start of September (the 'country' one) that seems to be a Brian production, with him on backing vocals and a lot of the same session musicians from Friends, which complicates things further.

The hospitalisation was probably sometime late in the year during the 20/20 sessions, because it's not until then that Brian actually doesn't appear on songs and there's a Desper quote in the Carlin book that mentions "recording carrying on at the house" while he was gone. After the Time to Get Alone sessions in early October (assuming the vocals with Brian were also done then) there's a month and a half long gap where a lot gets recorded but Brian doesn't appear on anything, suddenly making a return for the I Went to Sleep vocals and Cotton Fields on the 18th November. That's my guess for when it happened.

Thanks so much for that. Great info!
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2018, 08:14:09 AM »

Brian attended the concerts at melodyland in late September but didn't take the stage-so hospital thing was earlier
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2018, 08:24:13 AM »

Actually Brian was at the July 17 1968 show in San Diego too and held sessions for we're together again in early September so we are apparently looking at August 1968
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2018, 08:49:40 AM »

Thanks for that info, Ian.

I suppose it would also be helpful to know exactly how long this period of hospitalization lasted. Are we assuming it was a month? Also, what was the nature of his treatment?
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2018, 08:49:49 AM »

Didn't look at the post before-yeah it could have been late fall
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2018, 09:19:11 AM »

Points in the timeline to consider, November 14th 1968 Brian was out in public at the KHJ premiere event for the Yellow Submarine film, which is where all those photos of him carrying the tape recorder came from.

Also, Carnie was born April 29, 1968. Might be a factor for various periods of inactivity that year. Having a newborn does kind of change things a bit, right?  Smiley

But there is one piece from an interview Carl gave that I can never find or recall the details...where he says at this time Brian was having surgery on his bad ear to try to restore hearing and where he'd be able to hear in stereo. I can't remember how or if that point was ever expanded on, what exactly the surgery was or when it was, etc. But I thought it was from the time around mid to late 68. Any details?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2018, 09:46:31 AM »

I have an interview with Marilyn from 1972 where she places it in 1966 but that doesn't mean much-she wasn't trying to be exact
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2018, 10:00:21 AM »

I'm pretty sure Carl was talking about this in 1968, but my memory could be wrong. But I do recall him saying he was so happy his brother may be able to hear in stereo if the procedure was a success, or something along those lines.

This has frustrated me before, because I can never seem to find that interview with Carl to cite specifically when these discussions come up. But I'm pretty sure it was from 68...I  could be wrong.

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2018, 10:54:00 AM »

Yeah I have that interview-I'll have to look for it
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2018, 10:56:57 AM »

Ok, I was wrong on the 68 date on the ear surgery. There is still one interview with Carl where he mentions being excited for Brian to hear in stereo that I cannot find, but I found these excerpts which I clipped and have the publication dates.

It seems to have been sometime in Fall '67 when Brian had the surgery to try correcting his hearing. What you'll read is kind of discouraging in retrospect because each of them mention the operation being a success. "Them" being Dennis, Murry, and Carl chronologically in these interviews.

NME December '67

Beat Instrumental February '68

Beat Instrumental April '68

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2018, 12:09:16 PM »

That was one of the first questions Carl asked me...when we first met.  Was I hungry...did I want something to eat?  And we ate...and talked and ate and talked and talked.  [inspired to remember that by your NME Dec. '67 article there Craig.]

I honestly have never heard of this operation/these operations to correct Brian's hearing deficiencies before.  I still learn 'something' every day.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2018, 08:32:08 AM »

That was one of the first questions Carl asked me...when we first met.  Was I hungry...did I want something to eat?  And we ate...and talked and ate and talked and talked.  [inspired to remember that by your NME Dec. '67 article there Craig.]

I honestly have never heard of this operation/these operations to correct Brian's hearing deficiencies before.  I still learn 'something' every day.

That's fantastic Lee, what a great memory! It sounds like that was Carl's M.O. going back to the 60's. Very, very cool.

The operation in late '67 seems to be something that isn't or hasn't been reported much in the history of the group, yet there it is in multiple press reports from that time. It is sad because obviously the positive reports at that time didn't turn out to be the long-term result with Brian's bad ear.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx