gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:59:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Lei'd in Hawaii" as a viable release?  (Read 1518 times)
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 19, 2018, 12:10:49 PM »

We now have full access to both of the 1967 HIC shows in Hawaii, the concert rehearsals, and the "fake live" recordings they did afterwards when they got back to LA.

In my opinion the live material from the 2nd Hawaiian show was pretty solid, especially the leads by Brian and Al on songs like "You're So Good To Me", "Wouldn't It Be Nice", "The Letter", and "Sloop John B". Carl does really well on "God Only Knows" and "Good Vibrations" and Brian performs a strong lead on "Heroes And Villains". I believe that these tracks could've formed the core of a 1967 live album, if supplemented with some of the "fake live" tracks.

Of the "fake live" tracks, the unique arrangements of Surfer Girl and California Girls really add something beautifully lo-fi, with the former being my personal favourite recording of the song. In addition, the gorgeous "Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring" and the fresh "With A Little Help From My Friends" should be included. All these songs could be given the live overdub effects, much like several tracks off the "Beach Boys Concert" LP from 1964.

The "hardrock" backing track of Barbara Ann and Surfin' hint at an album with much diversity in sound and arrangements, which I think would benefit it. "Game of Love" would also be an interesting addition.

In sum, I feel that there's a plethora of good live/"live" material from these shows and recordings. It makes it even more perplexing that no live album came of it.

What are your thoughts?
KDS
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 12:15:45 PM »

We now have full access to both of the 1967 HIC shows in Hawaii, the concert rehearsals, and the "fake live" recordings they did afterwards when they got back to LA.

In my opinion the live material from the 2nd Hawaiian show was pretty solid, especially the leads by Brian and Al on songs like "You're So Good To Me", "Wouldn't It Be Nice", "The Letter", and "Sloop John B". Carl does really well on "God Only Knows" and "Good Vibrations" and Brian performs a strong lead on "Heroes And Villains". I believe that these tracks could've formed the core of a 1967 live album, if supplemented with some of the "fake live" tracks.

Of the "fake live" tracks, the unique arrangements of Surfer Girl and California Girls really add something beautifully lo-fi, with the former being my personal favourite recording of the song. In addition, the gorgeous "Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring" and the fresh "With A Little Help From My Friends" should be included. All these songs could be given the live overdub effects, much like several tracks off the "Beach Boys Concert" LP from 1964.

The "hardrock" backing track of Barbara Ann and Surfin' hint at an album with much diversity in sound and arrangements, which I think would benefit it. "Game of Love" would also be an interesting addition.

In sum, I feel that there's a plethora of good live/"live" material from these shows and recordings. It makes it even more perplexing that no live album came of it.

What are your thoughts?

To be honest, I wish the LIH material had been a separate release.   I'm not really big of remixes / session material type stuff, which is why I never bought either of the Pet Sounds boxes.   So, I'd rather not purchase ST just to get the LIH stuff. 
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx