gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:31:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New bass player with Mike & Bruce  (Read 15998 times)
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« on: March 19, 2018, 12:47:45 AM »

Does anyone know the name of the new bass player with the Beach Boys band? As mentioned previously, Randell was only back temporarily (unfortunately), and he is back with California Surf, Incorporated. The new bass player was playing with them on St Patrick's Day. From the pictures I've seen, it's not Brian Eichenberger, but someone different altogether.
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 12:52:50 AM »

Hi Eric, do share the pics as I'm sure someone on here just might recognize the new guy.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 08:04:06 PM »

I guess he works cheaper on bass than Randall  or BW for that matter... Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 08:05:23 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 04:49:52 AM »

I guess he works cheaper on bass than Randall  or BW for that matter... Roll Eyes

Do you honestly think Brian Wilson could stand up and play bass for any period of time longer than one song?

Back in the day he was just fine, but he's know bassist. He's a composer...hell, he's THE composer.
Bhw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 05:45:12 AM »

Keith Hubacher.  He came from Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 07:39:52 AM »

Nice one, Bhw. I noticed today that someone had named "Keith ?? ??" as current bassist on the live BB wikipage. Seems KH has even acted in Jersey Boys:

http://www.jerseyboysinfo.com/vegas/cast.html

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 08:38:12 AM »

Nice one, Bhw. I noticed today that someone had named "Keith ?? ??" as current bassist on the live BB wikipage. Seems KH has even acted in Jersey Boys:

http://www.jerseyboysinfo.com/vegas/cast.html

Yeah that was me. I read from someone here that BB Britain listed Keith, but there was no last name given, so I, uh, improvised. LOL
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 10:51:29 AM »

Well, if anyone knows how to polish an old man turd and pass it off for live music, it's someone from Frankie Valli's lineup!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 11:31:04 AM »

While I can't blame the members of Valli's backing band (though some musicians would certainly have a hard time dealing with it), Frankie Valli's live shows are borderline false advertising and legally actionable at this stage from everything I've seen. He literally appears to lip-sync his shows and apparently has been for quite some time.

I think one guy even lined up multiple Valli live performances on YouTube to prove it's the same pre-recorded lead vocal. Even without that evidence, it always sounds way too clean, and has a totally "studio" ambience to the sound.

Say what you want about any era of any BB tour, but they never resorted to lip-synching all or most of their shows.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 06:44:02 PM »

While I can't blame the members of Valli's backing band (though some musicians would certainly have a hard time dealing with it), Frankie Valli's live shows are borderline false advertising and legally actionable at this stage from everything I've seen. He literally appears to lip-sync his shows and apparently has been for quite some time.

I think one guy even lined up multiple Valli live performances on YouTube to prove it's the same pre-recorded lead vocal. Even without that evidence, it always sounds way too clean, and has a totally "studio" ambience to the sound.

Say what you want about any era of any BB tour, but they never resorted to lip-synching all or most of their shows.

Very true on both accounts. Valli doesn't even hide it anymore. I wouldn't pay five bucks to watch him stand on stage.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 03:39:22 AM »

I don't know if he fully lip synch's, but certainly appears that the sound is layered and he is more singing along with the pre recorded vocal. Then again, the sound is often way too clear for a live vocal, so maybe it is all pre recorded. Someone should ask this new guy Keith, though perhaps he signed some sort of "gag order" thing when he played with Frankie. Who, by the way, is a true legend in the business, and if he is lip synching, it's really kind of sad.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 06:28:23 AM »

I don't know if he fully lip synch's, but certainly appears that the sound is layered and he is more singing along with the pre recorded vocal. Then again, the sound is often way too clear for a live vocal, so maybe it is all pre recorded. Someone should ask this new guy Keith, though perhaps he signed some sort of "gag order" thing when he played with Frankie. Who, by the way, is a true legend in the business, and if he is lip synching, it's really kind of sad.

I watched a number of videos not too long ago, spanning from very recent to seemingly almost a decade ago, and everything sounded and appeared to be 100% lip synched.

It's certainly sad. I mean, a bunch of other professional singers have to face up to maybe not being able to sing well enough once they hit the mid-80s as Valli nearly has.

I'm genuinely curious if Valli's voice is like literally gone, or if he just stopped being able to hit the high notes 20 years ago and started going to tapes. His speaking voice doesn't seem too thrashed, so I wonder if he could just sing the mid-range stuff and, as BB touring bands have been doing for ages, just hand the falsetto stuff off to someone else. Maybe he did that at some point.

But considering he doesn't appear to do a lot of studio work anymore, I'm not sure when the last time is that anybody actually heard Valli's *current* singing voice. I'd be curious to know when his canned lead vocal tracks were recorded. The recordings are definitely him.

But someone should tell Valli that even if he's been lip syncing to little criticism (outside of some negative reviews on Ticketmaster and YouTube) for a decade or more, at any moment in the "social media age" it could all of a sudden blow up into a scandal. Not that 83-year-old Frankie Valli doing the oldies circuit is going to be a top headline, but as we've learned time and time again, a lot of the "breaking" stories about scandals consist of things that have been going on for years and years, often in plain public view. I'm stunned that Valli still does the lip syncing. I've seen published articles for local papers that point out he's lip syncing. There's at least one article where the writer contacted Valli's management to get some answers (they, obviously, did *not* admit he lip syncs, though they offered the technically accurate statement that every note heard on stage is Valli, which wouldn't preclude an old recording being played back).

I highly doubt the new guy playing with Mike would ever say anything publicly about this. It would do him zero good.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 06:29:27 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Shark
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 10:10:55 AM »

I can tell you first hand that Valli plays to a pre-recorded vocal.  The venue where I work at, has booked him almost every year for at least the last 10 years and while he does sing some live, all of the falsetto parts and a lot of the lead vocals are recorded.  About 4-5 years ago, we actually had to delay very briefly, one of his shows because they were having problems with the recording.  His band is obviously 100% live as are the backing vocals of the "Four Seasons (Jersey Boys)".  It truly is amazing though that either the people attending don't care or don't realize what is going on.

And Hey Jude, I believe he recorded something a few years ago that was covers of 60's love songs or something like that.  I vaguely remember seeing it being sold at his merch table. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 11:52:12 AM »

I wonder if Mike's going down Valli's route soon? Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 11:56:40 AM »

https://youtu.be/hXCJRmVA9pM

Oops! Frankie flubs it 1:50. Definitely lip sync.   Roll Eyes
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2018, 01:01:01 PM »

I wonder if Mike's going down Valli's route soon? Evil

Mike is already mixing in pre-recordings of his voice. It's obvious with the new "Do it Again" and "Getcha Back" recordings. I don't know what you call this. It's the same thing Cher does. She sings with herself on most songs. Albeit, Mike only does it on a handful. It's not true lip-synching because he is singing at the same time as the recording.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2018, 03:09:01 PM »

Doubtful that anyone has EVER noticed but I'm NOT exactly Mike Love's biggest fan.  Believe it or not I am NOT a member of the Love Mike fan club.  That said [millions of times]...the old boy just turned 77.  The voice may be the last 'thing' to go...BUT it does go.

I AM a long time Frankie Valli fan.  1 year longer than I've been a Beach Boys fan...starting in 1962.  And I would PAY to go watch Frankie "stand there" if I didn't have to travel a long distance and rent accommodations.  He's a giant.  An all time great and just to show up to say "thanks a LOT" one more time, to me, is worth it.  Frankie is almost 84.  Early May I think he'll turn another page.  And the voice does go.

So?  Think he has a pension plan?  That's a big contingent up there on stage with him...WAY more than Michael is up there warbling with.  How many mouths does he feed?  How many tricks do these guys need to employ so that we can show up and share the music with the guy...or guys...who actually had a hand in creating these all time life memories?  If they have to 'fake it' in order to be there as the authentic 'guys'...I'm OK with it.

If they have to use technical devices like auto-tune or tone or whatever the f*** it is...and as long as people are willing to pay money to be there with them to relive those songs and memories...I'm good with it.  They weren't and they AREN'T Milli Vanilli.

That said...at least Frankie isn't out there month after month sticking yet 'another one' in Bob Gaudio's back or claiming that he wrote all of the songs or complaining forever and a day about Nick Massi's dirty underwear or Tommy Devito's criminal record.  But then Frankie Valli likely has a convoy's worth of class more than my other hero in this particular post.  Still...they both do serve up good memories...in their own unique ways.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 03:15:05 PM by Lee Marshall » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2018, 05:26:18 PM »

I'm not doubting the character of Frankie Valli and in no ways comparing it to Michael E. Love.

I just have a serious problem with false advertising. He should be doing what he can, not pretending to do what he used to.

Maybe this is "beneath him" as I know many performers feel this way, but he could make a KIILING on the convention circuit...signing autographs, taking photos, maybe singing a tune here and there. That would be a better way to give back to fans that are okay with just seeing the man. But no matter who it is, I have a serious problem with lip-synching....especially denying it. If the team owned up to it, maybe I'd feel differently.

He could make a karaoke circuit gimmick out of it....sell a fancy VIP package to come and sing on stage LIKE Frankie Valli, WITH Frankie Valli  LOL
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2018, 05:50:19 PM »

Ya...I know.  I hear you.  It's just...like...what should we expect from guys that old? 

I fear that it's too much.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2018, 07:26:16 PM »

I still think he can manage some songs. WhenI saw him 5 years ago the opening song was Dawn and the closing set started with Stay, which sounded live to me, and still does.

https://youtu.be/Qmq67uEEbn0

He is also doing some covers this year, again pretty good if live.

https://youtu.be/frsFOOpmY3E

I think his main issue is the falsetto and 90 minute shows. Still has a strong talking voice IMO.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2018, 09:12:40 PM »

I can't find many clips of those covers...but if you listen to other clips of "Stay" it is identical. Not a single inflection differs at any point in any recording.
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2018, 03:07:49 AM »

I read several years ago...and  more than once, that Frankie is deaf. He may be using timing - and intimate knowledge of the recorded songs -- to continue to perform
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2018, 06:16:53 AM »

The amount of autotune on some of these Valli pre-recorded vocals is almost on the same level as Unleash The Love disc two!
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2018, 06:30:15 AM »

Back to Mike's new bass player- has he been given any lead vocals yet?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2018, 06:53:24 AM »

Back to Mike's new bass player- has he been given any lead vocals yet?

I could be totally wrong, but the vibe I'm getting is that this is not a guy who is going to be given a bunch of lead vocals in the way that Eichenberger was. I could be totally wrong of course.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx